Do you think Eagles win Super Bowl LII if Wentz didn't get injured?

gameshowfan91

On 7/26/2020 at 11:07 AM, vaff said:

WTF does Wentz have to do with Butler? 

5 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

This is my biggest issue with this thread lol

Wentz is seen as better QB than Foles. Belichick benched Butler for, I think, being late or missing a team meeting. Maybe Belichick was thinking they can win without Butler against Foles. If Wentz played, I don't think Belichick would have had guts to bench Butler then.

4 hours ago, gameshowfan91 said:

Wentz is seen as better QB than Foles. Belichick benched Butler for, I think, being late or missing a team meeting. Maybe Belichick was thinking they can win without Butler against Foles. If Wentz played, I don't think Belichick would have had guts to bench Butler then.

And yet, Nick was playing lights out in the Super Bowl from start to finish. Belichick could have put Butler in the game at any point to try and make a difference, and he didn’t. 

Your logic doesn’t hold. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, gameshowfan91 said:

Nope

On 7/26/2020 at 1:18 PM, gameshowfan91 said:

Not saying Wentz couldn't have, but it would have been hard for any QB to match performance of Foles in Super Bowl LII. Maybe Butler wouldn't have been benched if Wentz played.

One thing is for sure, Wentz had an outstanding year and if he continued that level of play there's no reason he wouldn't have won it......then again, the Eagle D was horrible.

• Like 1

I say no - for two reasons:  (1) The Eagles developed a new offense for Foles and were able to utilize the element of surprise.  The Vikings and Patriots were not able to properly prepare for Foles.  (2) Foles is a streaky player and he got hot at the right time.  When he gets hot in the right offense, he's as good as there is.

I think the biggest reason the Eagles won the SB that year was everyone stepped up. Foles was outstanding and on fire for the NFCC and SB but so many other guys made spectacular plays as well. Jeffrey made some tremendous catches. That TD catch by Clement was amazing. The 4th down stretch and final TD by Ertz also amazing. 

On 7/26/2020 at 3:41 PM, Saltpeter said:

No. I can come off as a Wentz hater sometimes, but the clutch factor is weighted extremely highly on my QB evaluation scale. Foles has that in spades and better accuracy most of the time. I hope Wentz can get there because, as we all know, his physical ability is off the charts.

I think a more interesting question is whether or not the Eagles win the following Super Bowl if Alshon doesn't drop the pass at the end of the Saints game. I wholeheartedly believe they massacre the Rams and that Pats rematch is a toss up.

Alshon dropping that pass was for a 1st down  not a TD. Everyone thinks we would have definitely scored after that. -There is no guarantee that we would have in the ensuing plays even thought we would have had tremendous momentum if he caught it. Everything is conjecture and analysis. 

• Like 1

On 7/26/2020 at 12:41 PM, Saltpeter said:

Foles has that in spades and better accuracy most of the time.

Foles accuracy is only higher when he plays in short spurts.  In his 4 seasons that he played the most games, his completion percentage is 59.9 % in 38 games.

Carsons career completion percentage is 63.8 % in 56 games.

Something else stood out to me while looking that up.  Carson has played 56 games in 4 seasons, Foles has played 58 games in 8 seasons.

18 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Foles accuracy is only higher when he plays in short spurts.  In his 4 seasons that he played the most games, his completion percentage is 59.9 % in 38 games.

Carsons career completion percentage is 63.8 % in 56 games.

Something else stood out to me while looking that up.  Carson has played 56 games in 4 seasons, Foles has played 58 games in 8 seasons.

Well he rode the bench because the NFL is out to get him

On 7/26/2020 at 11:17 AM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

By an even larger margin. 

I do not know about that. Foles was playing lights out his best football ever, during Super Bowl Run. This is not a degradation of Wentz, and i think that this comparison question is silly. Wentz could have matched Foles performance, because the rest of the team was clicking on all cylinders. He also could have made some mistakes, that Foles avoided. All in All every Eagles Fan is happy with the final result, and let's leave it at that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Traveler Vic said:

I do not know about that. Foles was playing lights out his best football ever, during Super Bowl Run. This is not a degradation of Wentz, and i think that this comparison question is silly. Wentz could have matched Foles performance, because the rest of the team was clicking on all cylinders. He also could have made some mistakes, that Foles avoided. All in All every Eagles Fan is happy with the final result, and let's leave it at that.

I have a special ability that I rarely talk about. It's the ability to see things that never happened, as if they had. Bryce Paup gets blocked properly and Randall goes on to win League MVP, Super Bowl MVP and Pro Bowl MVP all in the same season, assuring his Bust in Canton.

Carson throws the ball away, rather than trying to score himself, and he ends the season having thrown 40 TDs, wins League MVP and Super Bowl MVP in a 56-0 route. The only downside to that though, is that we don't have the Philly Special and no Philly Special statue in front of the Linc. That alone is worth keeping things as they are. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

It's the ability to see things that never happened, as if they had.

That's an incredible ability. Wish I had that. Do we go on to win the SB the following year too?

On 7/26/2020 at 3:14 PM, SNOORDA said:

Huge wentz fan. But im Not sure.  Maybe because i dont want to think about it.

My gut tells me we get to the super bowl and lose(again) to brady.   Brady balled that day and not sure how wentz would have responded.  We all know how foles responded  

I know we wouldnt have the philly special.  

I kinda feel this way too.  Something got into Foles that day.  All the stars aligned.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

That's an incredible ability. Wish I had that. Do we go on to win the SB the following year too?

We've actually won every super Bowl since 1976... 

• Like 1

The correct answer is there is no way of knowing as there are so many variables (would have affected how both the Eagles and their opposition game planned and played) and we have next to no data on how good Wentz is in the playoffs.

If we take a hypothetical situation where how it played out was virtually identical, then I think the answer is probably not. Wentz has proven himself the better and more durable QB, but Foles put together two of the best playoff games in the league's history back to back. He was near flawless in the Vikings and Pats games. I think Wentz would have beaten the Falcons more easily (Foles was shaky in the first half and solid in the second). Have to believe he would have also comfortably knocked off the Vikings (our D put up as many points as their O).

But would I have backed Wentz to beat Brady and the Pats with the way they were playing in that SB? Probably not. Foles was pretty much perfect in that game (the one interception was an AJ juggle which should have been either caught or incomplete). 

On 7/29/2020 at 4:37 PM, EazyEaglez said:

That’s interesting, because in regards to the Seahawks it doesn’t matter what version of the Eagles Wentz leads, cause Russel Wilson just keeps beating him. That’s the point isn’t it? If Carson is the guy we all believe he is he should be beating these teams regardless. So it can not be assumed Wentz simply would have won the Super Bowl. 

With regards to the Seahawks and Saints, the Eagles win percentage against those teams in the regular season/playoffs is abysmal ever since Pete Carroll and Sean Payton became the HC of those respective teams. It doesn't even matter who we have at QB in those games:

Pete Carroll was named HC of the Seahawks in 2010

Eagles played the Seahawks 6 times since then:

• 12/1/11 - Eagles 14, Seahawks 31
  • 12/7/14 - Seahawks 24, Eagles 14
  • 11/20/16 - Eagles 15, Seahawks 26
  • 12/3/17 - Eagles 10, Seahawks 24
  • 11/24/19 - Seahawks 17, Eagles 9
  • 1/5/20 - Seahawks 17, Eagles 9

0-6 including the wild card game last season

Sean Payton was named the HC of the Saints in 2006

Eagles played the Saints 9 times since then:

• 10/15/06 - Eagles 24, Saints 27
  • 1/13/07 - Eagles 24, Saints 27
  • 12/23/07 - Eagles 38, Saints 23
  • 9/20/09 - Saints 48, Eagles 22
  • 11/5/12 - Eagles 13, Saints 28
  • 1/4/14 - Saints 26, Eagles 24
  • 10/11/15 - Saints 17, Eagles 39
  • 11/18/18 - Eagles 7, Saints 48
  • 1/13/19 - Eagles 14, Saints 20

2-7 including playoff games, 0-3 in the playoffs

The Eagles have been 2-13 (15% win pct) against both of these head coaches

In conclusion, it didn't matter whether we had Donovan McNabb, Jeff Garcia, Nick Foles, or Carson Wentz in those games over the years, because those two coaches almost always seem to have our number when it matters the most.

On 7/29/2020 at 8:46 PM, EazyEaglez said:

Yeah that’s pretty ridiculous especially when you consider how many Cowboys made that list and they didn’t even make the playoffs. 

I once saw a map broken down geographically as to what part of the country roots for what teams.  There are a lot of areas of the country that are Dallas fans, just from a pure geographic standpoint.  Philly fans are primarily squeezed into a portion of Pa., Jersey and Delaware and that's pretty much it.

Explains a lot when you consider.

No way of knowing. I do know this. What Nick Foles did was for the ages. Beat Tom Brady. Beat Belicheat. Did it playing out of his mind with the pressure of one of the longest suffering and certainly most loyal fan bases riding on his back. Maybe Wentz COULD have done it, but Nicky6 did. Love him forever.

The way the stars aligned in that game......I have a strong suspicion one of these 2 items were involved (with adjusted dates of course).  

Yes, You Can Buy a "Back to the Future" DeLorean on Autotrader - Autotrader

The almanac of sports "Grays" stolen by Biff Tannen (Thomas F. Wilson) in  Back to the future 2 | Spotern

On 7/26/2020 at 2:13 PM, DeathByEagle said:

Do we think this world would have been better if your daddy used a rubber?..........................Yes

Sorry you set yourself up for it :)

Too many what if's in this world

- What if Peters didnt get injuried

- What if Hicks was not injuried

- What if Jenkins did not knock out Cooks?

- What if the Refs screwed us on any of those TDs calling them back? 

- What if Brady's hand did not get hurt in practice a week before? 

this list can go on and on and on. 

What if Doug didn't run a fake walk-through to throw the Cheatriots off?

You're right.  So many what ifs come into play here.  Fact is we won.  We beat the scumbag cheating Bawston team and nobody can ever take that away from us. 

WE ARE SUPERBOWL 52 CHAMPIONS! 

F YOU, BAWSTON, THE GHEY COWGIRLS, THE VIGIANTS AND THE NO-NAME FORESKINS OF DC!

• Like 1