Marquise Goodwin Opts Out of 2020 Season

time2rock

Wow! I mean what the F! I know it was only a later round pick but we still gave up a pick to bring him in. 

Just now, Shocker54 said:

Gutless

no heart

I rarely find myself agreeing with you but that was my initial reaction. 

With a bit more reflection though I mean it's hard to really criticise any player for making this decision. It's disappointing though for sure. 

• Like 3

It was a family decision. Players may be in great shape but can't fault a player for not wanting to bring COVID home. Especially since he just had a baby

• Like 7

Honestly, I’m good with this. I’d rather give the young dudes a chance. 

• Like 4

I'm good with this anyway as I wanted Reagor/Hightower/Watkins to have more of a role anyway.  Can't blame the guy with just having a baby (he and his wife had a few miscarriages) and not wanting to bring COVID home.

• Like 3

My 1st reaction wasn't good. But when I saw his family story (3 miscarriages), I understand where he is coming from. As bad as we want sports, this covid crap is real and life can be cut very short, very quickly. He chose something way more important than playing a game, he chose life and family. And yet, deep inside, I want him helping the Philadelphia Eagles. Man, I bet a lot of us feel that. It's like you are being FORCED to look at what REALLY, in all reality- matters, and what really does not. Stone cold reality. I'm not a fan of stone cold reality.

The thing I am thinking... there may be many more who start opting out. I had a feeling there would be no season this year. Baseball and football can't "do the bubble" like basketball can. I am holding my breath as I am hoping I don't wake up to the headline news- "The NFL cancelled the 2020-2021 season today due to...."

Hearing what’s happening in baseball, and seeing the number of opt outs, I’m only reaffirming my belief that playing this season isn’t worth it. Keep in mind, these are just the early announced opt-outs. Likely many more are coming. This is also not including players that will eventually be lost due to actually testing positive. Just seems like it’s destined to be a major cluster F. 

• Like 5

I'm gonna opt out as a fan this year. Between the politics and the pandering I don"t see much enjoyment coming.

This will be an asterisk year no matter what.

• Like 5

I wonder how many more of our own will opt out before the deadline.  Ever since Duvernay-Tardif opted out it is like the flood gates opened up - players are opting out left and right (one story after another on PFT.com about player x opting out).  Highly doubt Goodwin will be the only Philly player to do so.  And I'm sure observing the outbreak with the Marlins will impact the decision making of others.  

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

With a bit more reflection though I mean it's hard to really criticise any player for making this decision. It's disappointing though for sure. 

😂 UK you crack me up sometimes

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shocker54 said:

Gutless

no heart

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Incorrect.  On top of the tweet below, he also has sickle cell.

I preferred to give Watkins and Hightower a shot, anyway. And this guy is doing what’s best for him and his family. So.. win-win?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

More proof there won't be a season. 

The NFL seems determined to move forward regardless of safety or the virus chewing up most big markets - which is where the football teams are.  Look what they did during the strike years back in the 80s - brought in replacement players.  These guys are relentless. 

1 minute ago, Hawkeye said:

The NFL seems determined to move forward regardless of safety or the virus chewing up most big markets - which is where the football teams are.  Look what they did during the strike years back in the 80s - brought in replacement players.  These guys are relentless. 

I don’t think any of the sports leagues should be going ahead. But $$$$ is making them all force ahead 😬.

• Like 1

Goodwin also suffered 5 concussions in a 17 month span at one point. I don’t think anybody can blame this guy for opting out.

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Wow! I mean what the F! I know it was only a later round pick but we still gave up a pick to bring him in. 

Can’t be mad at him. Just frustrating 

I don't blame him because he has young kids and a new baby. But, the reality is, that unlike the NBA and MLB,  fringe players that opt out in the NFL will have a tough time catching back on next year.  Goodwin is a WR3 or WR4 at best and those guys are easily replaceable.  Coaches will most likely rather have younger players who they can count on make the roster vs. players that opted out the previous season.

39 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Strikes are not on the same level as this

I'm still figuring out the opt out language and how it effects tolling contracts

Non-risk players can opt out of the 2020 season and earn $150,000. They do not accrue a season.

And

3. Tolling, Credited, and Accrued Seasons in 2020

a. In the event of a cancelled season, contracts of players on the Club’s Week 1 roster and Practice Squad will not toll as long as one week of NFL games are played.

b. For any tolled contract, paid signing and roster bonuses would not toll, such that no player receives the same bonus twice.

c. Players identified in 3a above will receive one (1) Credited Season for

pension and benefits purposes for being on full pay status for one (1)

regular season game.

d. Players identified in 3a above will receive one (1) Credited Season for

Minimum Salary purposes for being on full pay status for three (3) regular season games.

e. Players identified in 3a above will receive one (1) Accrued Season for being

on full pay status for one (1) regular season game.

f. Credited/Accrued Season rules for players who sign with an NFL Club after the first game of the season shall not change from the 2020 NFL CBA.

4. Voluntary Opt-Out: Any player can choose to opt out of playing in the 2020 NFL season. If a player wishes to opt out, he must provide his club with written notification (see below). If he has not done so, the player should report to Training Camp on time.

a. Voluntary Opt-Out deadline: Player must inform Club in writing within

seven (7) days of the date that the NFL and NFLPA finalize the side letter

agreement that includes the terms of such opt-outs. NFLPA will notify all

agents and players as soon as that side letter is finalized.

• Player must be under contract or subject to a tender.

• Voluntary Opt-Out contracts will be tolled and all provisions of that

Contract for the tolled year shall be applicable the following season,

except that no player shall be paid the same signing bonus or roster bonus twice.

Player drafted in 2020 or who earned a Credited Season in 2019, will be

eligible for a stipend of $150,000 to be treated as a salary advance against the tolled player contract.

b. Voluntary Opt Out decision is generally irrevocable. There will be a limited basis to identify certain circumstances that permit a player to opt out later in the year based on familial circumstances.

c. No Accrued or Credited season

d. No forfeiture, breach/void of contract, or basis for any other discipline

unless player fails to timely report at the start of the 2021 training camp or is otherwise in breach of his NFL Player Contract.

5. Higher Risk Player Opt Out

a. Certain players may opt-out as a result of being Medically Higher Risk of complications from COVID-19. Such players must likewise provide

written notification to the club. If a player has not provided such written

notification, the player should report to Training Camp on time.

b. Higher Risk players need to have a diagnosis from the list below reflected in their medical records prior to the date of the parties’ agreement for at least one of the following factors, which are based upon a modified list of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) risk factors list. It is not mandatory that players who qualify as Higher Risk opt out; it is their choice:

1. Cancer

2. Chronic kidney disease

3. COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)

4. Immunocompromised state (weakened immune system) from solid

organ transplant

5. Serious heart conditions, such as heart failure, coronary artery disease,

or cardiomyopathies

6. Sickle cell disease

7. Type 2 diabetes mellitus

8. Asthma

9. Cerebrovascular disease (affects blood vessels and blood supply to the

brain)

10. Cystic fibrosis

11. Hypertension or high blood pressure

12. Immunocompromised state (weakened immune system) from blood

or bone marrow transplant, immune deficiencies, HIV, use of

corticosteroids, or use of other immune weakening medicines

13. Neurologic conditions, such as dementia

14. Liver disease

15. Pulmonary fibrosis (having damaged or scarred lung tissues)

c. A Higher Risk player must inform the Club in writing that he qualifies for Higher Risk and elects to opt out within seven (7) days from date when NFL and NFLPA finalize the side letter agreement that includes the terms of opt-outs: NFLPA will notify all agents and players as soon as the side letter is finalized.

d. A Higher Risk Player receives an Accrued Season towards free agency and all benefits and minimum salary credit for a Credited Season.

e. A Higher Risk Player is eligible for stipend of $350,000, which is not offset by prior salary and will not constitute a salary advance but will count against

Total Player Cost.

f. Higher Risk Player’s contract shall toll and all provisions of that Contract

for the tolled year shall apply the following season except that no player shall be paid the same signing bonus or roster bonus twice.

g. A Higher Risk player’s decision whether to opt out is generally irrevocable.

There will be limited circumstances that will permit a player to opt out as a Higher Risk Player after the initial deadline based upon a new diagnosis.

h. No forfeiture, breach/void of contract, or basis for any other discipline unless player fails to timely report at the start of the 2021 training camp or is otherwise in breach of his NFL Player Contract.

6. High Risk Cohabitant

a. "High Risk” designation for a cohabitant (person who normally resides with the player) is based upon the cohabitant having diagnosis for at least one of any of the CDC’s high risk factors (except for smoking).

b. Club must offer separate housing to the player if the player requests it, and cohabitant qualifies as a high-risk cohabitant.

c. The deadline for this request has not been agreed upon by the parties.

So he doesn't qualify as a high risk player.  And if I'm reading this right, this means his 2020 contract becomes a 2021 contract.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, paco said:

I'm still figuring out the opt out language and how it effects tolling contracts

And

So he doesn't qualify as a high risk player.  And if I'm reading this right, this means his 2020 contract becomes a 2021 contract.

You are correct. if the Eagles keep him his 2020 contract pushes to 2021.

This also means his cap doesnt go against us this year which means more to carry over to next year if they don't make any signings.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Hearing what’s happening in baseball, and seeing the number of opt outs, I’m only reaffirming my belief that playing this season isn’t worth it. Keep in mind, these are just the early announced opt-outs. Likely many more are coming. This is also not including players that will eventually be lost due to actually testing positive. Just seems like it’s destined to be a major cluster F. 

Yeah, it'll suck to not have a season, strictly from a 'selfish fan' stand point. But at the same time, I just don't think it's worth the risk either. There's just too many people that would be at risk, when you factor in not only the players/coaches/refs/etc... but their immediate families and then those that may come in contact with any of them... and then their families... and so on. 

They'd need to quarantine everyone involved, for the entire 20 weeks. Absolutely no contact with anyone, outside of playing the games and practicing... and we know that's not happening. 

Just call it off and take the loss of the season and move on to preparing for 2021. 

• Like 1