Marquise Goodwin Opts Out of 2020 Season

time2rock

33 minutes ago, judunno said:

Good for him. Not only can these guys lose their lives they can get clots, lose appendages, and have irreparable organ damage (kidneys, heart, liver, etc) let alone expose their families. They already have enough to worry about in terms of health just based on the nature of the game. If I had a few million in the bank I'd say see you in 2021 as well. Not worth it. NBA is the litmus test. If they can't pull it off in a bubble, for sure the NFL won't be able to. MLB is already Fd.

That's fine but why are they getting 350k? They are all rich s hell so dont need that.  Not going to work is your choice but you shouldn't be given a huge some of money also.

1 hour ago, Uscg-green said:

That's fine but why are they getting 350k? They are all rich s hell so dont need that.  Not going to work is your choice but you shouldn't be given a huge some of money also.

Because they "collectively bargained" it .

49 minutes ago, Uscg-green said:

Because the league is rich enough to do it I suppose and he has been more than likely paying into such a fund since he's been in the league. I gather it's high level unemployment similar to the additional $600 some folks are getting. I'm sure those game checks are split into buckets that support this type of incident similar to how layman's checks are deducted from for unemployment, pensions and such.

Did not see this one coming.  But given his wife's miscarriages, he did the right thing to keep his family safe.

Question for the guys in the know: a player opt out, can he be cut by the team without cause? 

2 hours ago, Uscg-green said:

I believe it is a stipend (of either $150K or $350K - the latter if being high risk and opting out) which is actually (if not mistaken) taken from future salary.  

• Like 1

They aren't getting free money. It is taken out of their contract next season. And they aren't all rich as hell. Richer than many of us, but spend a lot more money than many of us. A lot of NFL players that fill up that roster of 53 are guys making minimum salaries and on cheap rookie contracts.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Devaster said:

They aren't getting free money. It is taken out of their contract next season. And they aren't all rich as hell. Richer than many of us, but spend a lot more money than many of us. A lot of NFL players that fill up that roster of 53 are guys making minimum salaries and on cheap rookie contracts.

Never understood people that get so upset over a professional athletes life and what they make and trying to compare it to regular people. It's not reality, either accept that they live a different life or be miserable that they are not living like us. It's not comparable at all. 

Don't watch professional sports if you can't handle what they make or how they live. It's just entertainment for most people no reason to freak the eff out over everything they do or don't do. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

I believe it is a stipend (of either $150K or $350K - the latter if being high risk and opting out) which is actually (if not mistaken) taken from future salary.  

This is what's in place, but I can't see this happening.  Wouldn't it be a bad look if a year later the owners/GM took back the 150/350K if a player doesn't make a roster?

6 minutes ago, hputenis said:

This is what's in place, but I can't see this happening.  Wouldn't it be a bad look if a year later the owners/GM took back the 150/350K if a player doesn't make a roster?

I'd imagine it would be considered guaranteed (and would pay out, similar to how players still recoup their bonuses when they are cut now).  It would be an even worse look if they didn't pay out in those cases during a pandemic.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, time2rock said:

The mortality rate varies from country to country ... in the US it is 3.4%.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

Thanks - it’ll be interesting to see if the child death rate climbs.  Given the delayed onset of child cases - due to the smart move of protecting them by removing them from schools, daycares and activities - the outcome data on them is delayed as well.  There seems to be a false narrative that kids can’t get it and won’t die from it.  That’s entirely not true.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DBW said:

Thanks - it’ll be interesting to see if the child death rate climbs.  Given the delayed onset of child cases - due to the smart move of protecting them by removing them from schools, daycares and activities - the outcome data on them is delayed as well.  There seems to be a false narrative that kids can’t get it and won’t die from it.  That’s entirely not true.  

We have seen children die from the virus.  I think that, similar to what you see what other viruses (like flu), those that are older or immuno-compromised or have some other pre-existing health condition will experience a significantly higher mortality rate (but that doesn't mean people not fitting any of those descriptors can't die from it).  But yes I agree, there is still so much to learn about this virus - it is hard to make any kind of definitive statements at this time.  

The fact I still see people arguing over the virus here and calling it "politics” or anybody criticizing a player opting out is pretty sad 

On 7/31/2020 at 12:31 PM, time2rock said:

We have seen children die from the virus.  I think that, similar to what you see what other viruses (like flu), those that are older or immuno-compromised or have some other pre-existing health condition will experience a significantly higher mortality rate (but that doesn't mean people not fitting any of those descriptors can't die from it).  But yes I agree, there is still so much to learn about this virus - it is hard to make any kind of definitive statements at this time.  

Yeah. The scary thing is the unknowns of what the future impact of it is on those who tested positive and recovered. This is one nasty bugger.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2020 at 7:22 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

Never understood people that get so upset over a professional athletes life and what they make and trying to compare it to regular people. It's not reality, either accept that they live a different life or be miserable that they are not living like us. It's not comparable at all. 

Don't watch professional sports if you can't handle what they make or how they live. It's just entertainment for most people no reason to freak the eff out over everything they do or don't do. 

This is fine, but please copy/paste this argument to be consistent with the class warfare going on in the country in regards to rich non athletes.

• Thanks 1

Smart move by this kid. As for the Eagles—probably was an injury settlement waiting to happen anyway. Little loss. 

38 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Opt-out deadline passes ... Goodwin the only Eagles to do so.

Full list of NFL players opting out in attached link.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/29/nfl-covid-19-opt-out-list/

List was much smaller then I thought it would be. It doesnt mean more wont opt out later but I was expecting more to try and take advantage of the cash out. Looks like only hard hitters was the Jets and Pats. 

On 8/6/2020 at 6:07 PM, DeathByEagle said:

List was much smaller then I thought it would be. It doesnt mean more wont opt out later but I was expecting more to try and take advantage of the cash out. Looks like only hard hitters was the Jets and Pats. 

Let's see what happens when 1/2 the team has to quarantine. This thing will be worse in the fall. Damn shame we didn't have a national response to get this thing under control earlier. Missed our window now the rest of the year is Fd. Those who opened up schools already running into issues day 1. F Rona.