Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread - Eliminated.

Captain F

42 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

I’d be lying if I said I knew much at all about either of these prospects, but you’re always making the right move getting rid of soft, entitled players.  This Gauthier kid is 19 years old and already telling an organization he doesn’t want to play there?  Good riddance.  That type of personality is going to get eaten alive in a big hockey market, and he’ll be better off being Mickey Mouse’s pal in Anaheim.  A generational talent like McDavid, Lemieux or Lindros can try that.  A fifth overall pick?  Nah.  Big red flag.

I’d say Briere did pretty well getting a #6 overall talent in return, and a second round pick as well.  

• Like 1

Cutter was clearly a top player on the US team at the world juniors. Probably the best player along with the goalie. He played tough and would have fit in well in my opinion. 

6 hours ago, xzmattzx said:

That Swedish league has to be one of the best in Europe.  How does it compare to the KHL?

What team do you normally attend?  Do you own any team gear from a team over there?

Stockholm has three big sports clubs which cover all sorts of sports across all ages.  Everyone aligns with one of those clubs.  Given where we live and my wife's past we support the Hammarby club.  Mainly I follow their soccer team and have some gear.  Their hockey division went bankrupt 20 years back thru some shaky financial moves and they have never recovered and are way down in the divisions.

So, for hockey, I go once or twice a year with other friends who follow Djurgården.  They are the biggest and most successful hockey team in Stockholm historically and a good environment.  Interestingly, both Djurgården and the other big club AIK were relegated and are both in the 2nd division this year.  Think the first time for Djurgården for decades.  They still get 10k for a good game.  No way I'm ever wearing their gear though and I am pretty neutral when I do go watch them play.

SHL is now considered the best in Europe as far as I'm aware.  I think the war in Ukraine has caused quite a few player to leave the KHL.

One interesting thing that happens in the SHL is that teams from further up north will play a game against each other in Stockholm. There are so many people that live in the Stockholm area but come from up north so a game between two rivals from further up will be a HUGE sellout in Stockholm (15k in the largest arena, Globen).  I have a good friend who goes to those rivalry games when his team (Leksand) plays in Stockholm against other clubs from up near Leksand.  I haven't been to one of those but that would be cool.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DrPhilly said:

Stockholm has three big sports clubs which cover all sorts of sports across all ages.  Everyone aligns with one of those clubs.  Given where we live and my wife's past we support the Hammarby club.  Mainly I follow their soccer team and have some gear.  Their hockey division went bankrupt 20 years back thru some shaky financial moves and they have never recovered and are way down in the divisions.

So, for hockey, I go once or twice a year with other friends who follow Djurgården.  They are the biggest and most successful hockey team in Stockholm historically and a good environment.  Interestingly, both Djurgården and the other big club AIK were relegated and are both in the 2nd division this year.  Think the first time for Djurgården for decades.  They still get 10k for a good game.  No way I'm ever wearing their gear though and I am pretty neutral when I do go watch them play.

SHL is now considered the best in Europe as far as I'm aware.  I think the war in Ukraine has caused quite a few player to leave the KHL.

One interesting thing that happens in the SHL is that teams from further up north will play a game against each other in Stockholm. There are so many people that live in the Stockholm area but come from up north so a game between two rivals from further up will be a HUGE sellout in Stockholm (15k in the largest arena, Globen).  I have a good friend who goes to those rivalry games when his team (Leksand) plays in Stockholm against other clubs from up near Leksand.  I haven't been to one of those but that would be cool.

That makes sense with the KHL now.  Obviously no American or Canadian players see it as an option any more.

I always thought it was kind of cool like how our American leagues have teams in Canada, and speculation about a team in Mexico or London in one of the four sports gets thrown around, that the KHL had some teams in neighboring countries and cities, like in Helsinki, Riga, Beijing, Bratislava, and so on.  The footprint of the league was impressive, but I bet caused some problems with travel and if teams needed to be subsidized (like for outpost teams in the three Canadian Hockey Leagues).

3 minutes ago, xzmattzx said:

That makes sense with the KHL now.  Obviously no American or Canadian players see it as an option any more.

I always thought it was kind of cool like how our American leagues have teams in Canada, and speculation about a team in Mexico or London in one of the four sports gets thrown around, that the KHL had some teams in neighboring countries and cities, like in Helsinki, Riga, Beijing, Bratislava, and so on.  The footprint of the league was impressive, but I bet caused some problems with travel and if teams needed to be subsidized (like for outpost teams in the three Canadian Hockey Leagues).

Yeah, Ukraine killed it.  Not just the Americans and Canucks but the Finns, Swedes, and Czechs as well.  They have all left.

On 1/8/2024 at 7:54 PM, RoadToHell said:

Cutter traded to Anaheim. That really sucks! Apparently he didn’t want to play for the Flyers 

Cutter return night will be sponsored by duracell

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 10:02 PM, vsptroops said:

Yeah, there a player recently that was drafted that only wanted to play for the Rangers. He was traded several times before eventually getting to NY. Forget his name though. 

Adam Fox IIRC. 

Honestly cutter wasn’t a center anyway, so we would have needed both a 1C and a 1D. In the trade we likely got our long term 1D, so it works out. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

So why did we trade this Kid?

Cutter Gautier?  Because he said he didn't want to play for the Flyers,and then ghosted the President and GM of the team.  Since he is still in school, the Flyers could've lost him to free agency in a couple years, without him ever playing or making his way through the minor leagues.  So a trade lets you get some value back.  Trading him right after he lead the world junior tournament in points (if I am correct) meant that his trade value was still high, despite the news being out there that he wouldn't play for the team and the Flyers would have to get rid of him.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, xzmattzx said:

Cutter Gautier?  Because he said he didn't want to play for the Flyers,and then ghosted the President and GM of the team.  Since he is still in school, the Flyers could've lost him to free agency in a couple years, without him ever playing or making his way through the minor leagues.  So a trade lets you get some value back.  Trading him right after he lead the world junior tournament in points (if I am correct) meant that his trade value was still high, despite the news being out there that he wouldn't play for the team and the Flyers would have to get rid of him.

I think Jones actually said they managed to keep his disdain for the team under wraps extremely well, which is what kept his value from tanking.  Any way you cut it, I'm thrilled that they got rid of someone who isn't all-in and addressed a position of need with a good, young prospect in return.

What a game! Flyers come back down 3-1 in the 3rd to win in OT 4-3. 

• Like 3

Good to see Cam score a goal tonight finally after 27 games without one. He showed great signs last night against the Wild it was a matter of when one was gonna go in for him but that’s gotta get him going now. Bench erupted too 

Make that 2 goals for Atkinson and 5 straight games with a PP goal. Small victories here 

Big Win :flex::fly:

Ersson was nothing short of amazing tonight gets the shutout against Winnipeg snapping their 14 game point streak and 8 game win streak. He was sensational especially when the Flyers ran out of gas and the defenders in front of him were special as well. Another great win for the Flyers against a top team in the NHL on the road of back to back nights. This team is special 

• Like 1

Maybe we finally actually have a team that can get to the playoffs and win a series.

At least the flyers have heart

• Like 1

Flyers win again 4–2 Owen Tippett with a highlight reel GW sweep the road trip. This team just keeps playing great hockey 

• Like 1

Flyers win 5-1. Owen Tippett with a highlight reel backhanded goal. Wow. I'm really starting to believe in this team. Whoever they play in the playoffs (assuming they make it) will have their hands full with this team. Sure is nice to cheer for a team that actually has structure and discipline. 

• Like 3

The Flyers are unreal! Absolutely dominated the Dallas Stars, who are yet another top 5 team in the NHL and they only allowed 1 friggin shot in the 1st period. When was the last time that has ever happened? The Flyers have been in complete control against top NHL teams. Torts if this keeps up is without a doubt coach of the year. This team is amazing and you can’t help but be excited for this team they are only 2 points behind the Rangers for 1st place in the Metropolitan, the hardest division in the NHL. This is the Flyers hockey I’ve been missing since the Hartnell and Briere days it’s been too long. It’s early I know but thank you Flyers and Torts for just making Flyers hockey so fun to watch again. Let’s keep it up boys! I believe 

• Like 2

I think the shutout win in Winnipeg against the best team in the league, which was on a good winning streak and points streak, was the game that said that the Flyers are for real.

• Like 1

Looking pretty damn good right now!

Such a treat for me with two games in a row in the early slot as I can actually watch them and with the team on a roll.