Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread - Eliminated.

Captain F

448D6C31-9769-4501-AB0D-A43A9D092563.png

Just now, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Imagine when we get Morgan frost with some nhl experience. :drool:

I know!  This team is so deep! 

6 minutes ago, DBW said:

448D6C31-9769-4501-AB0D-A43A9D092563.png

I know!  This team is so deep! 

Had this conversation with my dad yesterday as he lived through the two cups, I said I wasn’t born until after the Flyers win the cups but I’ve seen a lot of Flyers teams this Team in two years might have the most depth and talent on a Flyers team that I’ve seen in my lifetime. Like those Legion of doom teams I thought they were top-heavy and their defense was good not great. The primeau and gagne team was really good too but i didn’t think they were great defensively or have the goaltending. The 2010 cup run was magical but i didn’t see it being able to be sustainable. I think this team from top to bottom you have four legitimate lines in about two years and your defense is going to get better and hart is going to be really good. I can’t say from watching from early 90s a team more loaded with depth in 2 years. It’s going to be nuts. 

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Had this conversation with my dad yesterday as he lived through the two cups, I said I wasn’t born until after the Flyers win the cups but I’ve seen a lot of Flyers teams this Team in two years might have the most depth and talent on a Flyers team that I’ve seen in my lifetime. Like those Legion of doom teams I thought they were top-heavy and their defense was good not great. The primeau and gagne team was really good too but i didn’t think they were great defensively or have the goaltending. I think this team from top to bottom you have four legitimate lines in about two years and your defense is going to get better and hart is going to be really good. I can’t say from watching from early 90s a team more loaded with depth in 2 years. It’s going to be nuts. 

They had some deep teams through the 90s and 2000s but never had the goaltending.  Now they have the most depth they’ve had in probably 10 years AND a legit nhl goalie.  

Just now, DBW said:

They had some deep teams through the 90s and 2000s but never had the goaltending.  Now they have the most depth they’ve had in probably 10 years AND a legit nhl goalie.  

90s and 2000s i thought they had good wing and center depth. I always questioned their defensive depth after the top line. Felt like they’d always be search for 3rd pairings and sometimes even half of the second pairings. 

like You said goalie it has been years since they had what they have in hart. Had bob and gave up on him too soon but otherwise it was a merry go round at goal. 

WHAT AN ANSWER!!! 

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

90s and 2000s i thought they had good wing and center depth. I always questioned their defensive depth after the top line. Felt like they’d always be search for 3rd pairings and sometimes even half of the second pairings. 

like You said goalie it has been years since they had what they have in hart. Had bob and gave up on him too soon but otherwise it was a merry go round at goal. 

WHAT AN ANSWER!!! 

True they did struggle with the 3rd d pair for a long time as well.  

Ugh.  Sucks to give a goal.....nevermind.  Flyers take almost no time to go back to a 2 goal lead.

• Like 1

Just now, DBW said:

True they did struggle with the 3rd d pair for a long time as well.  

Also had the discussion the other day on the radio after mark Howe who i think is the best defenseman the flyers have had in their organization. Who would you have at no. 2? It’s pretty interesting discussion. 

Just now, DrPhilly said:

Reggie Leach like!

My all time favorite flyer. :wub: 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

My all time favorite flyer. :wub: 

mine too!

• Like 1

As I was saying, it sucks to give up a goal that close to the end of the period.  Bs got a lucky deflection off the Dman's skate.  But what a quick answer to pad the lead back to 2 goals.  Bs think they're going into the 3rd period with the momentum after getting on the board and cutting the lead in half and the Flyers answer in just 8 freaking seconds.  

Just keep playing hard smart hockey with 4 lines for the 3rd period and give Hart a chance to see the puck cleanly.

3 minutes ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

Myers shot was nasty!!!

sure was

4 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Also had the discussion the other day on the radio after mark Howe who i think is the best defenseman the flyers have had in their organization. Who would you have at no. 2? It’s pretty interesting discussion. 

Oh geez....during my younger years desjardins was the guy.  You have to put Kimmo in that mix, but he wasn’t here for the bulk of his career.  They got Coffey on the downside of his career.  Pronger didn’t last long.  Some good names, but as far as a career flyer guy, I think desjardins is the clear winner in more recent history.  I think in terms of ever, Samuelson is in that convo along with Joe Watson, brad marsh.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DBW said:

Oh geez....during my younger years desjardins was the guy.  You have to put Kimmo in that mix, but he wasn’t here for the bulk of his career.  They got Coffey on the downside of his career.  Pronger didn’t last long.  Some good names, but as far as a career flyer guy, I think desjardins is the clear winner in more recent history.  I think in terms of ever, Samuelson is in that convo along with Joe Watson, brad marsh.

Yeah i went with desjardins. Kimmo is definitely up there too. Sadly we didn’t get pronger for very long which is a same cause i think he was a big part of that flyers run. I feel like when we got him he’d have 3-4 good years left and we didn’t even get the chance for that. I think it’s definitely super close 2-5 on who’s behind Howe. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DBW said:

I couldn't stand Desjardewsh.  He killed so many PPs for the Flyers because he could never keep his shot along the ice and always shot right into the goalie's breadbasket or glove.  I didn't think he was that great defensively, either.  Overrated, IMO.

This team looks so much different than the cuckstol years it is remarkable. Really hamstrung by a terrible coach, too bad hextall was so attached to him.

might want to throw Ed Van Impe in the discussion as well

• Like 1

1 minute ago, devpool said:

This team looks so much different than the cuckstol years it is remarkable. Really hamstrung by a terrible coach, too bad hextall was so attached to him.

I want to feel bad for Hexall cause he built a lot of this roster up and did a really good job drafting. But for the life of me I don’t understand why he stood by and went down with hakstol. Everyone could see he wasn’t good enough coach. I still truly believe if he would’ve fired him he’d still be the general manager

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, devpool said:

I think that was Hexy's downfall as a GM here.  More that than the team on the ice he put together.  You have to not only realize your mistake, but then correct it ASAP.  Whether he was slow on the former or just didn't have the minerals to fix the latter.....who knows.

12 minutes ago, DBW said:

I always thought Joe Watson was the weak link on the Cup winning Flyers defensive unit. His younger brother Jimmy was a lot better.

• Like 1

Laughton keeps it on the 2 on 1 and scores for the 4-1 lead!

bjeezes, three great shots!!!