Report: Eagles Working on Contract Extension for Ertz

time2rock

Per Ian Rappaport, the FO has resumed contract extension talks with Ertz.  

https://heavy.com/sports/2020/08/eagles-zach-ertz-contract-extension-talks-report/

I’m somewhat surprised considering the salary cap situation and the need to lock up Goedert in the near future, but I suppose if there is one man that can make it all work, it is Mr. Howie Roseman.  

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this is the correct move but I understand.  Unfortunately, this means Goedert simply walks when his deal is up.  Ertz's value will never be higher than it is right now and this would be the time to execute a trade if the value is there.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, b_west3 said:

I'm not sure if this is the correct move but I understand.  

I don't understand it at all, TE's are a dime a dozen, always have been. 

Kittle screwed everyone with his deal. Kittle is an awesome TE no doubt, but now the TE market is reset.

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

Per Ian Rappaport, the FO has resumed contract extension talks with Ertz.  

https://heavy.com/sports/2020/08/eagles-zach-ertz-contract-extension-talks-report/

I’m somewhat surprised considering the salary cap situation and the need to lock up Goedert in the near future, but I suppose if there is one man that can make it all work, it is Mr. Howie Roseman.  

I don't know anymore. He can't seem to make good trades and next year the bill is due on the can kicking. I feel like it is almost a mistake to not trade him. Don't give him away, but they should be able to get something good.

• Like 4

Makes sense. One of the top players in the league that the team likes to have. Extending him now allows you to play with his cap hit for next year. Goedert can be signed in 2021 after both DeSean and Alshon are out of here and while the WRs are still on their rookie contracts.

I don't think it's a smart move but we won't know truly until the deal is done and we know what he's been given. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't think it's a smart move but we won't know truly until the deal is done and we know what he's been given. 

100 % agree.

Ertz is signed through the 2021 season. By the time his contract is up, he’ll be 31 yrs old and probably entering the twilight of his career while Goedert, who’s contract will expire the same year, will be entering his prime and might just be Ertz’s perfect heir. Can’t have ‘m both by that time, way to expensive...

If it were up to me I’d let Ertz play out this season and re-evaluate next year. Maybe you come to the conclusion financially you’re better of signing Goedert longterm, trade Ertz and draft Goedert’s backup relatively high.

Don’t get me wrong; I love Ertz and his connection/chemistry with Wentz and I would hate to see him leave. Can’t hold on to all your stars though. You have to know when to let go...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ray75 said:

Don’t get me wrong; I love Ertz and his connection/chemistry with Wentz and I would hate to see him leave. Can’t hold on to all your stars though. You have to know when to let go...

The team's who contend have to make tough decisions. This is one of those decisions and I don't think you can make that based on what he has done in the past. He's an Eagles legend and we all love him... But this is about the future and would it be the right decision to give him a big contract? I don't think so. 

• Like 2

If the new contract is structured correctly it would ultimately enhance his trade value and make him more appealing to other teams and thus far easier to trade.

Look at the issues the Rams have with Ramsey and the money Houston gave to Tunsil. Without that contract the players can basically hold the team to ransom

He counts $12.4 million against the cap.  Any trade would trigger a $6.6 million dollar cap hit this year and result in over $5 million in dead money.  He’s a top 3 player at his position on the right side of 30.  With all that in mind why would you want to get rid of him now?  Goedert isn’t going anywhere for at least two years.  

11 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

He counts $12.4 million against the cap.  Any trade would trigger a $6.6 million dollar cap hit this year and result in over $5 million in dead money.  He’s a top 3 player at his position on the right side of 30.  With all that in mind why would you want to get rid of him now?  Goedert isn’t going anywhere for at least two years.  

Considering how up against the cap they are, that would eliminate the 2021 base salary of $8,250,000 next year.  I don't know what clauses are in his contract in regards to his base salary this year, but it might free up an additional $6,660,000 to roll it over.  

So if they trade him, it could potentially free up $13 million.  And god knows we need as many draft picks as possible.

Painful to lose a top 3 player at his position, but this is the situation Howie put us in.

1 hour ago, paco said:

Considering how up against the cap they are, that would eliminate the 2021 base salary of $8,250,000 next year.  I don't know what clauses are in his contract in regards to his base salary this year, but it might free up an additional $6,660,000 to roll it over.  

So if they trade him, it could potentially free up $13 million.  And god knows we need as many draft picks as possible.

Painful to lose a top 3 player at his position, but this is the situation Howie put us in.

It's terrible when your draft picks work out.  :P

Seriously, I think this is a case where Howie really did stick to BPA when selecting Goedert - the position he put us in is having 2 players drafted at the same position where both turned out to be studs - that is a good problem to have (vs. high picks like Sydney Jones or Marcus Smith being busts).  I wish he'd hit on CBs and WRs like he has with TE recently (fingers crossed this year's draft resolves the latter position).  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, paco said:

They should have traded him several years ago just like I suggested.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

What makes some of you guys think he's not going to be serviceable in his 30s?

While I am on board with doing a trade now, it has more to do with money and getting the most equity possible than him not being serviceable. 

Money not just cap, but Godert is coming up soon too.  And he has shown that he has the potential for a very high ceiling so I would like to keep him.  I think it would make sense to get picks and cap room for Ertz and spend it at other positions of need than pay a premium for two players at one position.  

We can't hold on to our 2017 team forever.  If we do, we risk becoming the Phillies.

Edit: one wrinkle..... 2021 draft picks may be significantly devalued due to COVID.  So it would have to be what would normally be considered a sizable haul.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Diehardfan said:

I don't know anymore. He can't seem to make good trades and next year the bill is due on the can kicking. I feel like it is almost a mistake to not trade him. Don't give him away, but they should be able to get something good.

Amazing Tight end whose value is never going to get greater. Trade should be a first option, unless we can not find a trade partner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paco said:

While I am on board with doing a trade now, it has more to do with money and getting the most equity possible than him not being serviceable. 

Money not just cap, but Godert is coming up soon too.  And he has shown that he has the potential for a very high ceiling so I would like to keep him.  I think it would make sense to get picks and cap room for Ertz and spend it at other positions of need than pay a premium for two players at one position.  

We can't hold on to our 2017 team forever.  If we do, we risk becoming the Phillies.

Edit: one wrinkle..... 2021 draft picks may be significantly devalued due to COVID.  So it would have to be what would normally be considered a sizable haul.

I would be on board with trading Ertz but, they need to make sure some of these receivers pan out. Ertz has been the only reason we had any passing offense the last 2 years. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I would be on board with trading Ertz but, they need to make sure some of these receivers pan out. Ertz has been the only reason we had any passing offense the last 2 years. 

If the opposing defense does not have Ertz to double team on almost every play...and Wentz is not constantly looking for Ertz...Some other guys may emerge and step up. In a way it could be a good thing.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

If the opposing defense does not have Ertz to double team on almost every play...and Wentz is not constantly looking for Ertz...Some other guys may emerge and step up. In a way it could be a good thing.

I mean yeah but, Ertz was the only weapon the last couple of years. And the notion that Wentz only looks for Ertz has been proven false over and over again. 

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I mean yeah but, Ertz was the only weapon the last couple of years. And the notion that Wentz only looks for Ertz has been proven false over and over again. 

Next year we are broke...and Ertz deserves to be paid as the best TE in the league. Meanwhile we have Goddard. We can not afford to have both.

3 minutes ago, Traveler Vic said:

Next year we are broke...and Ertz deserves to be paid as the best TE in the league. Meanwhile we have Goddard. We can not afford to have both.

I agree we can't. Still would like that we actually established quality receivers before we give away our biggest weapon. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I agree we can't. Still would like that we actually established quality receivers before we give away our biggest weapon. 

I agree. I'd keep him this year I think and then see what we can get for him next year. It won't be as much of course but overall the value to this team of an extra year with Ertz is arguably greater.