Report: Eagles Working on Contract Extension for Ertz

time2rock

22 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I think the best move at this point is to trade him and get as much as you can. 

Exactly, they should have tried an Ertz for Ngakoue, straight up.

24 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

But where is the money coming from to extend Yannick? He will want somewhere in the 20-22 mill a season deal. Just don't see any way he even had a chance at Yannick cap wise. 

3 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

But where is the money coming from to extend Yannick? He will want somewhere in the 20-22 mill a season deal. Just don't see any way he even had a chance at Yannick cap wise. 

Where’s the money coming from to extend Ertz? 

29 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

I don’t think the Jags are looking to get older right now. They’re stockpiling picks and they’re giving up players who are about to get big contracts. They don’t want Ertz. 

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

Where’s the money coming from to extend Ertz? 

if you read my other post you would see I dont think we have that cap either and should move on from him. However I will say 14 mill a year is a big diff then 22 mill a year avg. So we really dont have it for either but Yannick is way worse a option cap wise. 

4 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

if you read my other post you would see I dont think we have that cap either and should move on from him. However I will say 14 mill a year is a big diff then 22 mill a year avg. So we really dont have it for either but Yannick is way worse a option cap wise. 

Well you drafted a guy to replace Ertz so he could be replaced while we have no one to play DE. Oh my bad you drafted him just to be a backup. Meanwhile they have nothing at DE other than old players and a bunch of young guys who aren’t living up to their potential. What do you think that TE pay is going to add up to when you gotta pay Ertz and Goedert? 

9 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Well you drafted a guy to replace Ertz so he could be replaced while we have no one to play DE. Oh my bad you drafted him just to be a backup. Meanwhile they have nothing at DE other than old players and a bunch of young guys who aren’t living up to their potential. What do you think that TE pay is going to add up to when you gotta pay Ertz and Goedert? 

You really dont read do you, lol. maybe go back and actually read both my posts first then reply. 

6 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

You really dont read do you, lol. maybe go back and actually read both my posts first then reply. 

Nevertheless they’re keeping him so money isn’t the issue if they’re resigning him so they can’t claim they couldn’t trade for Yannick when their double TE sets will basically cost the same. On a side note I’d take Yannick over another 2nd round draft pick project or backup any day. 

33 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

I'm sure they could have worked something out, but no, screw the success of the team, gotta take care of the fan favorites instead of doing what's in the best interest of the team.......it's totally disgusting.  

1 minute ago, EagleVA said:

I'm sure they could have worked something out, but no, screw the success of the team, gotta take care of the fan favorites instead of doing what's in the best interest of the team.......it's totally disgusting.  

I dont think its all about the fans. I think right now its about 50/50 on fans who want to resign and want to let him walk. I just think Doug/Howie/Lurie get connected too much to certain players. No contract is signed yet so until they do sign it I cant be upset till then, lol 

57 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

I just think Doug/Howie/Lurie get connected too much to certain players.

Fan favorites/management favorites.....same damn difference.

I would've traded him after 2018. That was his ceiling. His value will never be higher than what it was then. We only had 5 picks in the 2019 draft. Imagine having an extra 1st or a 2nd + 4th/5th in a draft where we only had 5 picks and came away with dillard, jjaw & sanders. Hayden hurst got the ravens a 2nd + 5th, so i have no doubt we would've been able to get good compensation for a 28 year old ertz coming off his best season & 2 straight pro bowls. I dont care that he is wentz safety blankie. Goedert can be that & more. I dont care that we run 12 personnel alot. There's only one team that has truly been a mismatch nightmare in 12 personnel and that was the 2010-2012 patriots. How hard could it be to find a backup TE to block and catch screen passes which is basically what goedert does for us right now? Still holding out hope that we trade ertz before the deadline or next offseason but its more likely howie extends him/lets him walk for nothing. 

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t think the Jags are looking to get older right now. They’re stockpiling picks and they’re giving up players who are about to get big contracts. They don’t want Ertz. 

TATE logic.... I would of traded Ertz years ago because he is a dime a dozen TE playing as an oversized slow slot receiver. Trade Ertz for an elite pass rusher straight up ....🙄 Lol. 

• Haha 1

I don't think this team has the luxury of handing premium contracts to 2 TEs.  I think they have to chose one and trade the other.  Fortunately they are both still under contract for 2 more years so a decision/corresponding move does not need to be made now - it can wait until the trade deadline or next offseason. 

I know Wentz has incredible chemistry with Ertz, but the smart move would be to ink Goedert to a long-term deal - he is 4 years younger and shouldn't command the same amount Ertz is looking for.  

• Like 3

22 hours ago, time2rock said:

I don't think this team has the luxury of handing premium contracts to 2 TEs.  I think they have to chose one and trade the other.  Fortunately they are both still under contract for 2 more years so a decision/corresponding move does not need to be made now - it can wait until the trade deadline or next offseason. 

I know Wentz has incredible chemistry with Ertz, but the smart move would be to ink Goedert to a long-term deal - he is 4 years younger and shouldn't command the same amount Ertz is looking for.  

Agreed. This is what concerns me. Can we afford Goedert if we sign Ertz and will Goedert want to stay if he won't be the automatic starter/TE1. Ertz is more polished, but Goedert is younger and potentially better (certainly his blocking is better)

The last thing the Eagles need to do is wrap up more money in another player over 30 with a lot of mileage on his wheels.  They've already got bad money going to Jeffery, Malik Jackson, Desean Jackson, Graham, Barnett, and....sorry guys...soon probably Brooks and Cox.  

I guess I am on the outside here that sees a ton of value in extending Ertz and resigning Goedert.

Kelce is older then Ertz and just sign an extension that lasts another 6 years. Ertz can play productively for another 5-6 years. By the time Goedert will need to be signed both Alshon and DeSean will be off the books and all the WRs will still be on their rookie contracts.

Then having two top notch TEs allows a lot of movement on what they want to do offensively. They can run the 12 all day long. If one gets hurt they can move to an 11 or 21 personnel without missing a beat.

You also have the value of having a couple of really good TEs at less cost then it would be to have a couple of really good WRs. Kittle got $15 million a year and he is the best TE in the game. The Eagles have been paying Alshon $13 million for mediocre performance. How much do you really think that Goedert is going to be able to get in the open market?

Even if the Eagles sign him for $8-10 a year (which may be high at the time he signs) and it would still be a lot less then the going rate of a slot receiver in the NFL.

I just see a lot of benefits here. Of course Goedert may want to be a #1 somewhere else in the NFL but if that is the case you still have Ertz and can look for another TE in the draft to groom.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

I guess I am on the outside here that sees a ton of value in extending Ertz and resigning Goedert.

If it were possible I'm sure you wouldn't be the only one. But I don't think anyone thinks that it is possible due to the numbers involved. The Eagles have a really tough decision to make in the next year or so...

1 hour ago, pallidrone said:

Kelce is older then Ertz and just sign an extension that lasts another 6 years. Ertz can play productively for another 5-6 years. By the time Goedert will need to be signed both Alshon and DeSean will be off the books and all the WRs will still be on their rookie contracts.

Then having two top notch TEs allows a lot of movement on what they want to do offensively. They can run the 12 all day long. If one gets hurt they can move to an 11 or 21 personnel without missing a beat.

You also have the value of having a couple of really good TEs at less cost then it would be to have a couple of really good WRs. Kittle got $15 million a year and he is the best TE in the game. The Eagles have been paying Alshon $13 million for mediocre performance. How much do you really think that Goedert is going to be able to get in the open market?

Even if the Eagles sign him for $8-10 a year (which may be high at the time he signs) and it would still be a lot less then the going rate of a slot receiver in the NFL.

I just see a lot of benefits here. Of course Goedert may want to be a #1 somewhere else in the NFL but if that is the case you still have Ertz and can look for another TE in the draft to groom.

This post makes a ton of sense.  

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

If it were possible I'm sure you wouldn't be the only one. But I don't think anyone thinks that it is possible due to the numbers involved. The Eagles have a really tough decision to make in the next year or so...

We don't know the exact numbers involved in anything. We have estimates given to us on a website. Same as everyone keep saying the cowboys are screwed paying all their players when it's the complete opposite. 

On 9/1/2020 at 3:12 PM, pallidrone said:

Kelce is older then Ertz and just sign an extension that lasts another 6 years. 

That's not the case.  Kelce's contract is up after the 2021 season. There were 3 "dummy years" added to prorate the signing bonus, but he's a FA in 2022. 

21 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

We don't know the exact numbers involved in anything. We have estimates given to us on a website. Same as everyone keep saying the cowboys are screwed paying all their players when it's the complete opposite. 

I think our cap situation in 2021 is different than Dallas because  2021 and 2022 is when the bill is coming due for all the cap reduction strategies (dummy years in contracts, converting salary to signing bonuses) Howie used over the last few years. 

It wasn't necessarily a bad strategy (except for guaranteeing Alshon's salary this year) becuase the strategy assumed that the cap was going to increase between 8-10% every year, which it always had done, so you planned in advance for the dead $ charges you knew you would have to take because of cutting players before their contracts expired (i.e. Bradham and Darby's combined $8.1M in 2020). 

However because of COVID, the 2021 cap is going is set to be $35-40M less than it was supposed to be, and the 2022 cap won't be as high as expected.

For example, you have to figure these dead $$ charges were already factored in to their Pre-Covid planning:

Brandon Graham - Cut after this year (w/ post 6/1 designation) so his dead $$ charges will be $5M in 2021 and $12M in 2022

Malik Jackson - Cut after this year (w/ post 6/1 designation) $3.6M dead $$ in 2021/$12M in 2022

Alshon: Cut after this year: $10M dead $ in 2021

DJax - Cut after this year: $5.8M dead $ in 2021

The contracts of Kelce, Ertz and McCleod expire in 2021, but because of dummy years, there will be a $6.5M dead $ charge for them in 2022 absent them getting new deals.

Now, in addition to all that, you're going to make tough decisions on other players.

On 9/1/2020 at 3:12 PM, pallidrone said:

Great points. I don’t see a problem with paying Ertz because the things he does best will age well. He runs great routes and has great hands. And he doesn’t do it so well because he’s a physical specimen, he does it so well because he’s just a good football player. Not to mention our franchise QB’s top target and security blanket, which in my book does count for something. 

1 hour ago, erformc said:

That's not the case.  Kelce's contract is up after the 2021 season. There were 3 "dummy years" added to prorate the signing bonus, but he's a FA in 2022. 

There are no dummy years in Travis Kelces contract. His extension has him in KC through 2025.

3 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

There are no dummy years in Travis Kelces contract. His extension has him in KC through 2025.

Doh!  My fault. When I hear "Kelce" I automatically think of Jason.

FWIW, Ertz should not  use Travis Kelce's extension as a starting point because it's a terrible deal for Kelce.  It paid him no new money this year,  and only $4M more in 2021 than he would've made under his old contract.  Also, there are no guarantees after 2021.