Report: Eagles Working on Contract Extension for Ertz

time2rock

Honestly I’m shocked here. Some reports have the Eagles being nearly 70 mil over next years cap. I don’t know how they plan to restructure and keep both Ertz and Godert. I give Howie the benefit of doubt on most cap issues though. He always seems to find a way, but it didn’t take long from his return to power for the Eagles to be in this type of cap situation and the real issue seems to be their draft picks just aren’t performing well enough and it’s forcing them to constantly dip into free agency or give guys long term deals, because they can’t adequately replace them. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Honestly I’m shocked here. Some reports have the Eagles being nearly 70 mil over next years cap. I don’t know how they ply to restructure and keep both Ertz and Godert. I give Howie the benefit of doubt on most cap issues though. He always seems to find a way, but it didn’t take long from his return to power for the Eagles to be in this type of cap situation and the real issue seems to be their draft picks just aren’t performing well enough and it’s forcing them to constantly dip into free agency or give guys long term deals, because they can’t adequately replace them. 

It is starting to feel like there was no long term plan when they drafted Goedert? I mean he's been everything we thought and perhaps even shown a little more hasn't he?

34 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

It is starting to feel like there was no long term plan when they drafted Goedert? I mean he's been everything we thought and perhaps even shown a little more hasn't he?

I never really liked the Goedert pick. I never thought this team had the luxury to be selecting backups when there were so many needs to fill in other places. The same goes for the Hurts pick and the Sidney Jones pick. You don’t pick backups, and projects with such high picks when the team has legit holes and needs all over the roster. Sometimes it just seems like the Eagles are too smart for their own good. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I never really liked the Goedert pick. I never thought this team had the luxury to be selecting backups when there were so many needs to fill in other places. The same goes for the Hurts pick and the Sidney Jones pick. You don’t pick backups, and projects with such high picks when the team has legit holes and needs all over the roster. Sometimes it just seems like the Eagles are too smart for their own good. 

I think it has been said before that they think they are the smartest in the room? But yeah I mean i liked the Goedert pick but only if they had a long term plan there. 

• Like 1

Just because you sign a player to an extension doesn't mean he can't be traded. It actually increases his trade value to be under contract for 1-2 years. I can see them signing both Ertz and Goedert to extensions and then trading one of them next off season. 

7 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

It made sense if they thought Goedert could be the future, and they’d be able to trade Ertz for good value while Goedert was still on his rookie deal. That obviously hasn’t happened. 

• Like 1

Personally, if it’s going to make him the league’s highest paid TE, which is what he reportedly wanted last offseason (or at least we know he turned down a deal that would have put him in that ballpark) then I think it would be the smart move to try to trade him and roll with Goedert. You can’t pay both, and Goedert has youth on his side. 

• Like 4

Perhaps a new contract for Ertz is simply giving him more guaranteed money and not adding extra years (or minimal new years).  

6 hours ago, nipples said:

It made sense if they thought Goedert could be the future, and they’d be able to trade Ertz for good value while Goedert was still on his rookie deal. That obviously hasn’t happened. 

Goedert was a luxury pick in my opinion. And now he’s basically number two, but in order to keep him they will have to pay number one money. I don’t get their thought process here. 

21 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Goedert was a luxury pick in my opinion. And now he’s basically number two, but in order to keep him they will have to pay number one money. I don’t get their thought process here. 

The personnel decisions are as maddening as the 6ers and to a lesser extent the Phil’s.  

• Like 1

Just now, time2rock said:

The personnel decisions are as maddening as the 6ers and to a lesser extent the Phil’s.  

Thanks you just made me want to pull the little hair I have left out. 😂

• Haha 1

The teams best players are getting older. Ertz, Johnson, Peters, Cox, Graham, Jackson, Kelce, Brooks, equal more than one third of the starting 22 players. The Phillies demonstrated after the 2008 WS how extending older players, especially following a successful SB run, will eviscerate a team. Twelve years later and they continue to underwhelm with no end in sight. No GM enjoys a rebuild but the Birds are due. Don't wait Howie. Start moving the Ertz and Cox's now and suck it up. And yes, Wentz should move on as well. Collect as many high draft picks you can and develop Hurts.

Throw away the Band-Aids.  

3 hours ago, Wolves111 said:

The teams best players are getting older. Ertz, Johnson, Peters, Cox, Graham, Jackson, Kelce, Brooks, equal more than one third of the starting 22 players. The Phillies demonstrated after the 2008 WS how extending older players, especially following a successful SB run, will eviscerate a team. Twelve years later and they continue to underwhelm with no end in sight. No GM enjoys a rebuild but the Birds are due. Don't wait Howie. Start moving the Ertz and Cox's now and suck it up. And yes, Wentz should move on as well. Collect as many high draft picks you can and develop Hurts.

Throw away the Band-Aids.  

It's hard to move on and rebuild when the majority of the young players do not seem to be taking the next step in their development. 

On 8/25/2020 at 7:43 PM, b_west3 said:

I'm not sure if this is the correct move but I understand.  Unfortunately, this means Goedert simply walks when his deal is up.  Ertz's value will never be higher than it is right now and this would be the time to execute a trade if the value is there.  

Yes

Get it done. This is a no brainer. He’s Carson’s favorite target and one of the best TE in the NFL. Lock him up.

5 hours ago, 3rdDownJesus said:

Get it done. This is a no brainer. He’s Carson’s favorite target and one of the best TE in the NFL. Lock him up.

He’s already locked up for the next 2 years.  

On 8/27/2020 at 4:13 AM, EazyEaglez said:

Sometimes it just seems like the Eagles are too smart for their own good. 

Too smart?

No, when it comes to the draft it's total incompetence, just look at the 1st round picks of Dillard and and Barnett, these guys look more like 4th round picks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, EagleVA said:

Too smart?

No, when it comes to the draft it's total incompetence, just look at the 1st round picks of Dillard and and Barnett, these guys look more like 4th round picks.

Those guys weren’t reaches like Marcus Smith. Sometimes players don’t pan out. You could be more critical of the choice of those players I suppose, but from what I remember both of those selections were applauded by nearly everyone. 

42 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Those guys weren’t reaches like Marcus Smith. Sometimes players don’t pan out. You could be more critical of the choice of those players I suppose, but from what I remember both of those selections were applauded by nearly everyone. 

Barnett was considered a safe choice and was predicted by many of the "experts" to be our pick that year.  No one really picked Dillard to us but that was supposedly because most thought he'd be long gone before our pick (maybe not so much because he is that great of a player but because OT is a premium position and like QB, teams tend to overdraft them).  

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

Barnett was considered a safe choice and was predicted by many of the "experts" to be our pick that year.  No one really picked Dillard to us but that was supposedly because most thought he'd be long gone before our pick (maybe not so much because he is that great of a player but because OT is a premium position and like QB, teams tend to overdraft them).  

I don’t think anyone viewed those picks as reaches or bad choices though. I can’t knock them for selecting these players. They weren’t head scratchers as they were both positions of need at the time and those players. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t think anyone viewed those picks as reaches or choices though. I can’t knock them for selecting these players. They weren’t head scratchers as they were both positions of need at the time and those players. 

Agreed.

• Like 1

I wanted Goedert in the first round with our 32nd pick that year. I loved the pick and still think it was a great one. They problem is you have to know when its in the best for the team to move on from a player. I wasn't a Reid fan but he did a great job knowing in most cases(minus Dawkins) on when to let a player move on. Cap reasons, age reasons etc. I love Ertz but Goedert is a great replacement for him. If its a team friendly extension, great, keep him. But otherwise I would move on. Have to consider the cap no matter what people say that you have to keep stars. Its part of the business. You draft players to take over to save cap. This is a perfect example of a draft pick with a high successful chance at that. Would be dumb to not take advantage of it unless of course the deal is team friendly. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Neither were applauded by me nor would a contract extension for Ertz.

Here the Eagles are worrying about a contract extension to Ertz when Ngakoue went to the Vikes for a 2nd in 2021 and a condition 5th in 2023 with an agreed paycut by Ngakoue.

While I've never been a fan of trading draft picks for players, Ngakoue would have been what Reggie White was to the Packers and it was a no-brainer to go all out for him, I would have done the 2nd in 2021 and a 3rd in 2023 if needed.

Apparently we have plenty of no-brainers in the Eagles organization.

22 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

Neither were applauded by me nor would a contract extension for Ertz.

Here the Eagles are worrying about a contract extension to Ertz when Ngakoue went to the Vikes for a 2nd in 2021 and a condition 5th in 2023 with an agreed paycut by Ngakoue.

While I've never been a fan of trading draft picks for players, Ngakoue would have been what Reggie White was to the Packers and it was a no-brainer to go all out for him, I would have done the 2nd in 2021 and a 3rd in 2023 if needed.

Apparently we have plenty of no-brainers in the Eagles organization.

I think your issues are separate here. The Eagles could have and probably should have made a move for Yannick, but they didn’t. Frankly if the Eagles drafted better they wouldn’t need to. Though you might not have liked the picks it doesn’t mean that most people agreed with you. I like Ertz as a player, but in my opinion giving him an extension makes little sense especially if they’re giving him a raise. There’s no point to drafting Goedert if the plan was to extend Ertz. I think the best move at this point is to trade him and get as much as you can. 

• Like 1