Report: Eagles Working on Contract Extension for Ertz

time2rock

25 minutes ago, erformc said:

Doh!  My fault. When I hear "Kelce" I automatically think of Jason.

FWIW, Ertz should not  use Travis Kelce's extension as a starting point because it's a terrible deal for Kelce.  It paid him no new money this year,  and only $4M more in 2021 than he would've made under his old contract.  Also, there are no guarantees after 2021.  

My only reason to comment on Kelce's contract was that he was older then Ertz, still playing at a high level and got a contract extension. Ertz still has plenty of gas left in the tank.

On 8/26/2020 at 1:53 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't think it's a smart move but we won't know truly until the deal is done and we know what he's been given. 

The guy was a major piece of our championship season.

I'd keep him an Eagle forever.

But then . . . I'm sentimental.           :lol:

1 hour ago, McNabbIsDone said:

The guy was a major piece of our championship season.

I'd keep him an Eagle forever.

But then . . . I'm sentimental.           :lol:

And yeah as fans that's completely fair... But Howie can't show that sentimentality. That's why this team really hasn't taken that next step since winning the SB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

As fans that's completely fair... But Howie can't show that sentimentality.

That's why this team really hasn't taken that next step since winning the SB.

But I thought it was injuries, injuries, injuries . . . especially to Wentz, no?

The one guy I thought they kept around too long was Sproles . . . but I can't think of any others. 

2 hours ago, McNabbIsDone said:

But I thought it was injuries, injuries, injuries . . . especially to Wentz, no?

The one guy I thought they kept around too long was Sproles . . . but I can't think of any others. 

I think it was a mixture of both to be honest. The injuries really hurt but Howie made too many sentimental decisions that have hampered this team and will hamper this team going forwards. 

That’s twice now.  Howie may have to move him at some point.  The DE from Jax would have been great.  Vikes got him for a 2nd and a 5th which is peanuts.

• Like 1

Just now, Miami said:

That’s twice now.  Howie may have to move him at some point.  The DE from Jax would have been great.  Vikes got him for a 2nd and a 5th which is peanuts.

Yannick wants a mega deal next season

9 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

The smart move here is to let Ertz walk.

Hes under contract next year. Smart move would be trade him for a player of need OR keep him this year and trade him next year for 2022 picks since the 2021 draft is a crap shoot with no college football. I barely trust them drafting when they can scout the players. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Hes under contract next year. Smart move would be trade him for a player of need OR keep him this year and trade him next year for 2022 picks since the 2021 draft is a crap shoot with no college football. I barely trust them drafting when they can scout the players. 

Or that, too. Better to get something for him. My only point is don't get into a bidding war with yourself. That's how championship teams end up in the basement. You can't hang onto the past.

With our cap situation, if Ertz wants to remain a Eagle, a cap friendly deal should be in the works. If he doesn't, then get something in return for him. Anyway, he is still under contract for what 2 more years?

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

Little late to the party, lol

If Howie offered less guaranteed money, then he just needs to stop and tell Ertz that they will look at it again after this season and see if they can restructure some deals to make it happen. Don't insult Ertz by offering less guaranteed money. He's not going to take that.  He's not going to fall for those backloaded contracts.

39 minutes ago, JP HOF said:

Can't believe some of you are so anxious to let him go.  He's in the top 10 TEs of all time and has a lot of years left.

I don't understand it either. He's Wentz favorite target and it's not like he's declining in play

4 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I don't understand it either. He's Wentz favorite target and it's not like he's declining in play

No one wants to get rid of him because of his play. We can't afford him. Cap is a real thing, we can't ignore it. He stays with the deal he wants then that prevents us from keeping or signing 3 or 4 other good players. Its a team game. Its a business, nothing personal. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

No one wants to get rid of him because of his play. We can't afford him. Cap is a real thing, we can't ignore it. He stays with the deal he wants then that prevents us from keeping or signing 3 or 4 other good players. Its a team game. Its a business, nothing personal. 

Agreed. Difficult decisions have to be made and they have to be made for the future not for the past. We all love Ertz, how could we not love him for what he's done, but it's about the future. 

7 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

he's a huge part of the team.

Ertz wont get the contract extension, it makes no sense from a financial perspective with an aging Ertz when Goedert is here. He will be traded or become a FA at the end of his contract..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jeep_man said:

Ertz wont get the contract extension, it makes no sense from a financial perspective with an aging Ertz when Goedert is here. He will be traded or become a FA at the end of his contract..

If they fail to come to an agreement with Ertz on a reasonable extension (what works for both sides), then I sure hope Howie decides to swing a deal to trade him next offseason (or at the trade deadline next year) to at least get some draft compensation in return rather than just letting him walk for nothing.  

• Like 1