Nintendo Switch

Agent23

Can't remember if there was a stnadalone thread on the old board. I'm sure the Zeldas of the world had gotten threads specific just to the actual game.

Anyways, been sold out all of 'rona. Had a best buy email today generically showing the Switch. 

image.thumb.png.eb2262b9a5e25553d44062533ce83f86.png

I kinda laughed at the "and consoles" part. I randomly check a few times a week when I'm on their site, and everything is gone. Hell, even PS4s and XBoxs have become scarce. 

Well, I click and they actually have these available to order online (well, at least an hour or so ago when the email came and I looked). So I bought one with a free shipping... that way it already comes in a box if I decide to post online and sell the thing. But it could be worth keeping, as I enjoy Mario games.

I know the build your island game is huge, and I always hear people go on and on about Zelda. How long is that Breath of the Wild game? I am missing that 12-15 hour game in my life. I am tired of these like 30+ hour titles. I'm bored but I ain't THAT bored. 

3 hours ago, Agent23 said:

Can't remember if there was a stnadalone thread on the old board. I'm sure the Zeldas of the world had gotten threads specific just to the actual game.

Anyways, been sold out all of 'rona. Had a best buy email today generically showing the Switch. 

image.thumb.png.eb2262b9a5e25553d44062533ce83f86.png

I kinda laughed at the "and consoles" part. I randomly check a few times a week when I'm on their site, and everything is gone. Hell, even PS4s and XBoxs have become scarce. 

Well, I click and they actually have these available to order online (well, at least an hour or so ago when the email came and I looked). So I bought one with a free shipping... that way it already comes in a box if I decide to post online and sell the thing. But it could be worth keeping, as I enjoy Mario games.

I know the build your island game is huge, and I always hear people go on and on about Zelda. How long is that Breath of the Wild game? I am missing that 12-15 hour game in my life. I am tired of these like 30+ hour titles. I'm bored but I ain't THAT bored. 

Zelda is a time sucking pain in the arse!! I spent 60 hrs just to get to the actual start of the freaking game. I eventually stopped playing it was getting ridiculous. Great game though if you want to dump that much time into a game. I know people have spent over 400 hrs on it. 

4 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Zelda is a time sucking pain in the arse!! I spent 60 hrs just to get to the actual start of the freaking game. I eventually stopped playing it was getting ridiculous. Great game though if you want to dump that much time into a game. I know people have spent over 400 hrs on it. 

Nah F that! 

I have the switch and love it! Top games for me:

Super Mario Oddessy- has that Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy feel but with some pretty cool mechanics.  You can spend hours hunting down everything or you can play it straight through in about 15-20 hours. 

Splatoon 2 - probably one of the more unique first person shooters out there. Solo game is fine, but the coop and online play is great. Really only downside is you can’t do coop online from the same system. 

Smash Ultimate - What they accomplishes with this game is incredible. Up to 80 playable characters, including every single character from all prior gens, a lot of great unique stages and features. Honestly if you’ve played any smash bro’s game in the past, this game is a love letter to its fans. 

Zelda is gorgeous just haven’t had a chance to really devote to it. It’s on my list. 

Animal crossing - I get the appeal but it’s not for me.

I'm not a FPS or a Smash guy, and figure Animal Crossing's apex was early covid when nobody could go anywhere, so may not have the same thrill now. I got one of these Mario games (not oddyssey) and looked like there were several more along with some luigi or other mario-related titles? Figure those may be my jams if it becomes a system I use with any frequency...

I mean it's small enough that I could just keep it upstairs in my bedroom/home office where I sit for 9 hours a day now and maybe I just play through those titles when I'm not in the middle of calls or emails... :whistle:

3 hours ago, Agent23 said:

I'm not a FPS or a Smash guy, and figure Animal Crossing's apex was early covid when nobody could go anywhere, so may not have the same thrill now. I got one of these Mario games (not oddyssey) and looked like there were several more along with some luigi or other mario-related titles? Figure those may be my jams if it becomes a system I use with any frequency...

I mean it's small enough that I could just keep it upstairs in my bedroom/home office where I sit for 9 hours a day now and maybe I just play through those titles when I'm not in the middle of calls or emails... :whistle:

The portability if the system is really nice. 

Animal crossing has a huuuuuuuuuge following. The fact that it came out during Covid only helped it. It’s basically a cuddlier sims. Like I said, not for me.

There are a lot of Mario platformer our there. Mario maker is cool, no real story just a bunch of fan made course that range from traditional, to puzzle solving to down right weird. Super Mario deluxe is your standard platforming game. Luigis Mansion is one on my list to try if it ever goes on sale. Then there is the usual Mario fare, kart party etc

Arms is a quirky motion control boxing game that is actually kinda fun. I picked it up for like 60% off when toys r us went out of business. Wouldn’t pay full price, but it’s pretty good. Also if you get Nintendo online (which you need for online play) you get a bunch of classic old games as well as a few other cool games like Tetris 99. Which is basically battle royale Tetris 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 20Safety_Hazards said:

The portability if the system is really nice. 

Animal crossing has a huuuuuuuuuge following. The fact that it came out during Covid only helped it. It’s basically a cuddlier sims. Like I said, not for me.

There are a lot of Mario platformer our there. Mario maker is cool, no real story just a bunch of fan made course that range from traditional, to puzzle solving to down right weird. Super Mario deluxe is your standard platforming game. Luigis Mansion is one on my list to try if it ever goes on sale. Then there is the usual Mario fare, kart party etc

Arms is a quirky motion control boxing game that is actually kinda fun. I picked it up for like 60% off when toys r us went out of business. Wouldn’t pay full price, but it’s pretty good. Also if you get Nintendo online (which you need for online play) you get a bunch of classic old games as well as a few other cool games like Tetris 99. Which is basically battle royale Tetris 

I have animal crossing and don't even bother with it anymore it gets boring and tedious. Luigi's Mansion 3 is on sale on the Nintendo Estore right now lol. 

On 8/26/2020 at 6:01 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

I interpret that as you saying it took your 60 hours to get off the Great Plateau. Is that accurate? 

3 hours ago, Weaponx01 said:

I interpret that as you saying it took your 60 hours to get off the Great Plateau. Is that accurate? 

Basically lol

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Basically lol

Wow, really?  Now, I’m the last to ever criticize people in video games, as I have gotten stuck endless times in games only to finally figure out what I needed was extremely simple.  It’s been awhile since I’ve played BOTW so I can’t remember everything perfectly, but I feel like you were able to "get going” in that game much sooner than that?  

On 8/27/2020 at 1:59 PM, Agent23 said:

I love all of these games, but understand your interests.  I would say Odyssey is a must-own that I believe fits your criteria, and I’d definitely throw Mario Kart in there as well assuming you like racers to any degree.  I really like the Switch, man.

10 minutes ago, EaglesFan said:

Wow, really?  Now, I’m the last to ever criticize people in video games, as I have gotten stuck endless times in games only to finally figure out what I needed was extremely simple.  It’s been awhile since I’ve played BOTW so I can’t remember everything perfectly, but I feel like you were able to "get going” in that game much sooner than that?  

I was I'm just being overdramatic. However, to get to the IMP when the game really begins still takes forever with all the distractions and trying to figure out how to do everything before you even get to her. 

• Like 1

Haha, fair enough. I loved that game. It does fee like the switch is in a bit of a lull right now. If Three Houses ever goes on sale I might buy it. But right now it feels like I’m just waiting for the next Zelda game. 

• 2 weeks later...

Loved BotW. But it is a long time investment. It was fun to mess around with stuck inside the house during quarantine, when the whole point of the game is to go around exploring and finding stuff.

On 8/26/2020 at 2:29 PM, Agent23 said:

How long is that Breath of the Wild game? I am missing that 12-15 hour game in my life. I am tired of these like 30+ hour titles. I'm bored but I ain't THAT bored. 

If you only put 12-15 hours into it, you will be disappointed. What impresses people is how expansive the game is. Every time you turn it on you can find something else different to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Is that one available near you, or did it sell out already?  I checked your link and while it shows it, it says that it’s not available within 250 miles of my location (and apparently not available for online order).

6 hours ago, EaglesFan said:

Is that one available near you, or did it sell out already?  I checked your link and while it shows it, it says that it’s not available within 250 miles of my location (and apparently not available for online order).

I bought one maybe 2-3 hours ago. Local store inventory. I think there may be additional ones still too. I have to pick mine up. Will probably do tomorrow 

• Like 1

I’m excited about Monster Hunter Rise. Sounds like it’ll have at least of the quality of life improvements of MH World. Hopefully it has more monsters than that game did though.

• 1 month later...

Been thinking maybe I should try a Switch. I don’t know what it is but I can’t get into the modern systems. Had a PS4 for awhile, but just wasn’t into it other than The Last of Us and Uncharted. Ended up selling it a few years ago because it was just collecting dust.

I’ve got a game room with a PS 1, Sega Genesis and NES. I play those plenty and am looking at picking up an N64 and SNES here soon. But I just can’t get into really anything from the PS2/XBox generation onward. Maybe a Switch is the answer. 

2 hours ago, nipples said:

Been thinking maybe I should try a Switch. I don’t know what it is but I can’t get into the modern systems. Had a PS4 for awhile, but just wasn’t into it other than The Last of Us and Uncharted. Ended up selling it a few years ago because it was just collecting dust.

I’ve got a game room with a PS 1, Sega Genesis and NES. I play those plenty and am looking at picking up an N64 and SNES here soon. But I just can’t get into really anything from the PS2/XBox generation onward. Maybe a Switch is the answer. 

You should be ok with a switch there is tons of classic games you can play on there and even the new mario's and what not are almost like the classics

4 hours ago, nipples said:

i've just dipped my toe in the Switch water during Quarantine and can't really complain. Got Pokemon Sword which is another love letter to the original type games if you grew up playing them on Gameboy. Now imagine that with a semi-open world format with todays graphics. I eventually burnt myself out on it but for my first Switch experience I def enjoyed it. 

Fiance just recently bought Animal Crossing and after obsessing over it for a few weeks hasn't really picked it up in a little bit. But I'm definitely going to keep my eye out for other titles on this now that it's in the fold. Especially since I'm not getting the ps5 just yet. 

We have had once since a year after it released. Smash, Mario Kart, Breath of the Wild, Captain Toad, and Monster Hunter have been big hits in our house.  Along with the classic NES and SNES galleries.