Jason Peters putting himself above the team article

Talonblood

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I agree with he is better then any back but, he also cost the team a lot of false starts because he needs to get back in his stance sooner because he can't move like he used too. I also remember seeing some people in the league (refs, players) saying they let him go on a bunch more just because of who he is. At the end of the day they should of addressed this situation even years before Dillard was drafted. They waited to long and didn't do their homework and drafted a bust and now have to be held hostage by a hall of famer who doesn't have it anymore. This is all still a GM issue.... Coming from a big fan of Howie I'm still going to say Howie waited to effing long to fix this problem

Sadly most of the problems do come back to GM. Poor drafting is killing us.

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Even for a homer like me with Howie I agree . I still don't fault him 100% coaches and Assistants definitely way greatly on his moves but, either way they need to be better collectively

I really do hope he’s got more hits than fails from this draft. 

Reads like a Howie/NovaCare hit piece, frankly, the kind of thing pre-Super Bowl Howie and Banner were famous for. Never would have pulled it when Peters was in his prime, but now? Scorched earth. I have zero problem with JP wanting to get tackle money to play tackle, none at all. This is just more of the same from this group, blow-up a Super Bowl contender rather than pay T.O. Just shows once again what a miracle 2017 was.

Ultimately he's got the team over a barrel. He knows they've got to pay him because they are in a real bind right now. But I think its actually pretty bad of him to do. And actually there's a temptation to pay him. I mean this team isn't contending this year, hell I'm not even sure this team is contending to make the play offs.

8 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Ultimately he's got the team over a barrel. He knows they've got to pay him because they are in a real bind right now. But I think its actually pretty bad of him to do. And actually there's a temptation to pay him. I mean this team isn't contending this year, hell I'm not even sure this team is contending to make the play offs.

Funny. Someone was just trying to convince me this team is better than the 2017 group. In his defense I will add none of us really expected that much from that group at the time. I’m not ready to say that they can’t compete right now. I’m not as sold on the Cowfronts as some other people are. I’m just not ready to say this team is as good as 2017 either. 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 4:08 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Playing LT does warrant more money but in this instance, if the Eagles do decide to give him more, I'd want them to do it through incentives. If he plays more than say, 75% of the snaps at LT or something like that, then he gets X amount of bonus money. Something along those lines.

Yup with his injury history... any negotiated contract redo would have to be based on actual snap counts and at what position. Otherwise we are throwing money away, 

4 minutes ago, Ipiggles said:

Yup with his injury history... any negotiated contract redo would have to be based on actual snap counts and at what position. Otherwise we are throwing money away, 

thats how i would set it up as well. maybe give him an extra million if he has less than 5 false starts

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Funny. Someone was just trying to convince me this team is better than the 2017 group. In his defense I will add none of us really expected that much from that group at the time. I’m not ready to say that they can’t compete right now. I’m not as sold on the Cowfronts as some other people are. I’m just not ready to say this team is as good as 2017 either. 

Yeah I'm just not buying that. I mean could this team surprise like it did in 2017? Sure it could... I mean any team with a really good HC and QB could. But I don't see it. This team has way too many issues and that's before taking in to consideration the countless injuries it will suffer. 

On 8/29/2020 at 4:08 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Playing LT does warrant more money but in this instance, if the Eagles do decide to give him more, I'd want them to do it through incentives. If he plays more than say, 75% of the snaps at LT or something like that, then he gets X amount of bonus money. Something along those lines.

That seems to be the best way forward. I'd prefer not to start a precedent of paying players more money to change positions.

My one concern (and maybe someone said this earlier in the thread) is that when the Eagles negotiated with him they used the fact that he was only being brought in to play RG as an explanation for why the salary was $3M instead of higher.

If they stressed to him during neogotiations that he was now getting guard money to play guard and not tackle money because they were not going to play him at tackle, then he's got a legit gripe.

• Sad 1

How was this situation not built into his contract in the first place? You'd have to be a damn moron to not assume Peters would be option #2 at LT.

On 8/31/2020 at 11:05 AM, Alpha_TATEr said:

thats how i would set it up as well. maybe give him an extra million if he has less than 5 false starts

The false starts should definitely be in the contract

On 8/30/2020 at 12:33 AM, EazyEaglez said:

Just give the man a bump in salary to go with several incentives and be done with it. Or play Mialata and watch Carson get killed. 

I broadly agree but some of Carson's hits last year were as much to do with Carson standing there with the damn ball waiting to get hit, we could have had prime Peters out there and he ain't holding the defender out that long, they've got to quicken up the offense and get Carson sliding out of the pocket more, I mean his movement and throwing on the run were strengths and we seem to have gone out of our way to stifle that natural instinct.

1 hour ago, Ross said:

My one concern (and maybe someone said this earlier in the thread) is that when the Eagles negotiated with him they used the fact that he was only being brought in to play RG as an explanation for why the salary was $3M instead of higher.

If they stressed to him during neogotiations that he was now getting guard money to play guard and not tackle money because they were not going to play him at tackle, then he's got a legit gripe.

Well my view would be if he had offers of tackle money to play tackle he should've taken them, as it is, I think it sets a dangerous precedent to rework contracts for guys covering injuries at another position.

6 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I broadly agree but some of Carson's hits last year were as much to do with Carson standing there with the damn ball waiting to get hit, we could have had prime Peters out there and he ain't holding the defender out that long, they've got to quicken up the offense and get Carson sliding out of the pocket more, I mean his movement and throwing on the run were strengths and we seem to have gone out of our way to stifle that natural instinct.

I wonder if Carson is accurate enough of a QB to take three step drops and throw. I just don’t think that’s his game. I do think they need to get him on the move more and give him opportunities to throw on the run where I think he’s more accurate. Overall if whoever they put at LT can’t hold out it’s not going to matter much. We already heard about Dillard getting blown off the ball by Ostman and Dillard is their LT of the future. These other guys aren’t better than him. They better come up with a fix quick or we might be seeing a lot of Hurts this season.

On 8/29/2020 at 4:58 PM, vaff said:

Why does this bother you?

Could you imagine if your backup QB became the starter because of injury and then said I’ll only start if I get paid more. 

On 8/31/2020 at 8:05 AM, Alpha_TATEr said:

maybe give him an extra million if he has less than 5 false starts

That would be a terrible incentive. One of the things that has made JP one of the best LTs in the NFL the last 10 years is his quickness off the snap. Do you really want him focusing on being slow after his 3rd or 4th false start? 

22 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

Could you imagine if your backup QB became the starter because of injury and then said I’ll only start if I get paid more. 

I just want to remind people that if you're freaking out about the typical business side of football, you might want to stop reading opinionated articles written to tug at the fans' heartstrings. Do you have an official quote from Jason Peters regarding this situation or are we still just pretending "Peters is holding the Eagles hostage" because a hack writer needed click bait?

19 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I just want to remind people that if you're freaking out about the typical business side of football, you might want to stop reading opinionated articles written to tug at the fans' heartstrings. Do you have an official quote from Jason Peters regarding this situation or are we still just pretending "Peters is holding the Eagles hostage" because a hack writer needed click bait?

Good point. Its McLane’s piece and all he said was Peter’s wants more money to play LT. That’s all he wrote. Then Reuben Frank starts saying Peter’s REFUSED TO MOVE TO LT unless he gets more money. Oh really? Says who? That is not what McLane initially reported. It really blew up from there.

7 hours ago, brkmsn said:

its not just a hack writer saying this is whats going on. even adam schefter just verified its an issue. 

if its not true, why isnt he at LT right now ? its not like pryor, who never played tackle, let alone left tackle and is now protecting wentz's blind side and is looking like complete crap is a reason for concern at all. 

47 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

its not just a hack writer saying this is whats going on. even adam schefter just verified its an issue. 

if its not true, why isnt he at LT right now ? its not like pryor, who never played tackle, let alone left tackle and is now protecting wentz's blind side and is looking like complete crap is a reason for concern at all. 

They have to find someone who can fill in at left Tackle and it's better to do it now then in the middle of the season when Peter's gets hurt. They already know Peters can play LT. No point In making the move right now till they see what other options they may or may not have

4 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

They have to find someone who can fill in at left Tackle and it's better to do it now then in the middle of the season when Peter's gets hurt. They already know Peters can play LT. No point In making the move right now till they see what other options they may or may not have

no, you dont play games at LT, you put the best option there, period. pryor has no business taking one snap at LT. 

1 hour ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

no, you dont play games at LT, you put the best option there, period. pryor has no business taking one snap at LT. 

Well I think they are trying to figure out who else can play because Peter's isn't going to stay healthy

6 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Well I think they are trying to figure out who else can play because Peter's isn't going to stay healthy

i get the need to see what else they have, but that shouldnt be with 1st team reps IMO.