Issues that the board experienced on Week 1

VaBeach_Eagle

I think they've screwed things up with the board, but I don't have time at this moment to deal with it but will soon (within the next hour). So just be aware that posts right now, may vanish if I can get things fixed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm almost inclined to just let it be. We've lost a few days, but at the moment, that's all that I can see is missing (other than all of my PMs). I'll keep poking around to make sure everything's working, but I'm afraid that if I try to get them to fix things or even if I try to restore the most recent backup, they'll screw things up even more. 

Bad day all around. lol

15 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I'm almost inclined to just let it be. We've lost a few days, but at the moment, that's all that I can see is missing (other than all of my PMs). I'll keep poking around to make sure everything's working, but I'm afraid that if I try to get them to fix things or even if I try to restore the most recent backup, they'll screw things up even more. 

Bad day all around. lol

We lost a lot of mod5 approved things if you know what I mean.  But still plenty to go around.  

• Sad 1

Well, after looking things over, it looks like they (GoDaddy) may have fixed the problems that caused the board to generate those 502 and 504 errors. We won't know for sure until the next game, to see how the board does. Unfortunately though, it looks like by fixing it, they kind of reset us back to Wednesday the 9th of September. So multiple days worth of board activity has been lost. 

I could poke around and try to fix that, but that could end up making things worse, and I'm more inclined to just let things go as they are, even though it literally sickens me to my stomach (seriously lol). 

let it be... if a good discussion is missing those involved in it can just start a new 1. 

It ran a little slow today but otherwise held up. 

Don't add to the headaches the team gave us today. On to next week.

• Like 4

No big deal VBE, probably a good thing some of the posts today got biffed. Too bad the game couldn't be deleted too!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PoconoDon said:

@VaBeach_Eagle listen, things happen. It's all good. Don't stress over this and remember, the reason we make plans is to change them.;)

I know, and I won't say that I'm a 'perfectionist', because I'm not but it still pisses me off when these things happen. Silly enough, one of the things that pisses me off more, is losing today's board stats. We had nearly 600 members/guests on at one point and all we have to show for it is a snip that I took in the stats section, with plans to show the boards full online usage stats from day one to today. Why?  Well, I'm a geek/nerd that way lol.

But at least we do have that image... here it is. This is every single day that the new board has been online. Those first spikes at the far left of the chart, is the NFL Draft and of course, the far right of the chart is today's game.

usage.JPG

• Like 3

I dont get why there are issues I thought Dave said the old board was shut down because of lack of activity..... how could we have too much activity. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, BirdsFanBill said:

I dont get why there are issues I thought Dave said the old board was shut down because of lack of activity..... how could we have too much activity. 

That was BS to get us all on Reddit apparently.

• Like 7

Ok, now that I've had time to eat and process everything from the day, here's what I did while you all were throwing things at your TVs lol.

I called GoDaddy because of the issues that the board was having, and had to have them upgrade us to their 'Grow' level business hosting plan. 

That was before halftime of the game. I didn't think they'd have it implemented before the end of the game, but they did. Things did get a bit better, but still slow. Just not as many "server timed out" errors. 

So I called them back about midway through the 3rd quarter to see what the issue was. They tracked it down (we believe) to a misconfiguration (on their end), with the firewall and the security settings. Apparently, the upgrade last Wednesday (which wasn't strong enough), had the boards IP address pointed at the wrong resources. I'm not a IT security expert, so I'm not familiar with that aspect. But they believe that this was causing our access issues.

I was in my GoDaddy account when I noticed that the firewall settings were showing up, which they had never shown up before. It was very soon after I noticed the new settings (meaning that they'd corrected whatever the error was), that I came to the board to see how things were going, when I saw that the 'wonkiness' was upon us. So whatever they did, reset us back to Wednesday (probably right back to the exact point when the first upgrade took place on Wednesday).

With all of that going on, I actually wasn't able to see the game, which is actually just as well... <_< 

So today's upgrade does the following...

We increased our server resources from having 2GB of RAM and 1 CPU core, to 6GB of RAM and 3 CPU cores. That cost us an additional $204.97 from the boards funds. If we discover that we need to upgrade yet again, we'd go to having 8GB of RAM and 4 CPU Cores and I think it would cost us an additional $105 for the remainder of our contract period (which goes to April 15th, 2021 I think). 

If we don't have to upgrade again and we can stay on the current plan, the cost going forward will be $840/year ($70/month). If we have to upgrade to their top level business plan, then that would renew at $1200/year ($100/month). I'm hopeful that we won't need another upgrade because once they started working on the firewall issue, I noticed that the board started loading pretty quickly. But that was after the game was over and traffic was already slowing from the almost 600 members/guests online, down into the 400's. 

So as we sit right now with the boards funds, if we don't have to upgrade again, we have enough for 2 hosting contract renewals (April 2021 and again in 2022). So we'd be good until April 2023. If we do have to upgrade again, we have enough for 1 renewal (2021). Of course, that's not including the license renewals for the boards software or the domain name renewal. But those aren't as big of an expenditure as the hosting is. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

I love the explanation for new members :roll:

lol Yeah, I remembered that the board had that ability/feature (announcements), and I figured that it would be easier to see than a pinned thread. Plus, like I said before, I'm a stat geek. I want those 50 (or whatever it was), members back! lol

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Hawkeye said:

How can we help with the expense?

For now, all's well. Like I said above, we have enough for now. Unless we have to upgrade to a super expensive package during this season, we have enough funds to at worst get to 2022. At best, 2023. So between now and whenever it is that we need more funds, I'll be doing little things like the affiliate links and Adsense to help the board raise money without needing donations. If those efforts raise all we need, then awesome. If they only raise a portion of what we need, then awesome. But for now, we're good to go. 

Unless you all want to donate money for me to buy a new, 2021 vehicle. I'll make sure that it has internet connectivity so that way I can conduct board business in it, and that way it can be a board expense... I'll even get a custom license plate... something like EMB-1 or something like that :thumbsup:

So what do you all say? It should only cost say... $75,000 :huh: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

If it's still valid/active, it would still work. But I don't really know a whole lot about GoFundMe, do those things expire after a period of time? If so, then it may be expired. I didn't actually set that up, back when it was started. It was set up, then turned over to me after a day or so. So I didn't read any of their disclaimers or rules (or whatever), that would likely have been provided/accepted/agreed to when the account was started. 

38 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

For now, all's well. Like I said above, we have enough for now. Unless we have to upgrade to a super expensive package during this season, we have enough funds to at worst get to 2022. At best, 2023. So between now and whenever it is that we need more funds, I'll be doing little things like the affiliate links and Adsense to help the board raise money without needing donations. If those efforts raise all we need, then awesome. If they only raise a portion of what we need, then awesome. But for now, we're good to go. 

Unless you all want to donate money for me to buy a new, 2021 vehicle. I'll make sure that it has internet connectivity so that way I can conduct board business in it, and that way it can be a board expense... I'll even get a custom license plate... something like EMB-1 or something like that :thumbsup:

So what do you all say? It should only cost say... $75,000 :huh: 

We got ya brother and appreciate your amazing work in keeping this community going.

• Like 2

Did anybody else get locked out of the board while the game was on? I got locked out and the error kept saying the server was having issues. I was never able to get in.

*** Edit update*** It's all good, though- I'm not ****in because I appreciate the board. I was just curious of what happened. Now I see there was a big issue that explains why.

Wait.  Wait.  Since our posts got erased from Weds til midday today, does that mean I lost my post count for them?

#postcountislife

:P

Seriously, though, did my post count get knocked back?

3 hours ago, Green_Guinness said:

Wait.  Wait.  Since our posts got erased from Weds til midday today, does that mean I lost my post count for them?

#postcountislife

:P

Seriously, though, did my post count get knocked back?

Most likely so.