The Elephant in the Room

EagleVA

The secondary is still horrible, I didn't see anything close to a PBU or INT in two games.

I haven't seen any thing from Slay to warrant the idea that he's a shutdown corner.

Roby-Coleman hasn't shown anything.

Maddox continues to show he doesn't have what it takes

Mills is nowhere in the picture on any plays that enter his territory.

So basically our defense is composed of an aging DL with garbage behind them (LBs and Secondary).

This all goes back to who's building the team, he's doing a horrible job.

Slay has been fine. Slay isn't getting targeted, he is taking care of his responsibilities. The problem we all knew was Mills switching, and Maddox being on the outside. Mills doesn't have the recognition to see the plays develop, like a seasoned veteran safety, he who shall not be named. RNC got his a** kicked all day, and against his old team, the Rams knew who to go at. We also do not have capable LB's. This has been a years long issue. We allowed Hicks to walk for obvious injury reasons. But, that was a very good draft pick. Kendricks, for his lack of coverage, he was a very good blitzing LB. We didn't want to pay him.

• Like 8

Slay is probably the only defensive player who has done his job the last two weeks. McLeod looks slow, Mills looks lost, do we have LBs? I’m not entirely sure. RNC has been meh at best. Our remaining corners are exactly what we’ve seen from them last two years. Our heavily invested in DL has woefully underperformed. 

This defense has ALOT of problems. Slay is probably at a very back of the line in terms of accountability. 

• Like 7

The dline has no time to get to the QB due to the soft coverage and quick passing. The line and secondary need to work together. Secondary needs to play tight and our line needs to get to the QB before the WRs break free. Its simple, common sense!!

• Like 1

I don't know why NRC continues to start over LeBlanc at slot corner.  LeBlanc >> NRC.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

The secondary is still horrible, I didn't see anything close to a PBU or INT in two games.

I haven't seen any thing from Slay to warrant the idea that he's a shutdown corner.

So basically our defense is composed of an aging DL with garbage behind them (LBs and Secondary).

Two comments. First, Slay has been fine. He isn’t the one being picked on, it’s Maddox and NRC. 

Second, it’s clear to me at this point that the number one issue with the pass coverage is Schwartz scheme. When you go this many years, try this many different DBs and STILL get the same terrible results, you have to look at the scheme. The soft coverage is killing them. 

Was curious about Rasul since he is now playing for the Panthers. According to Pro Football Reference through two games (not sure if accurate but says he started yesterday):  He has allowed only 24 yards against him, 50% completion percentage, no TDs and a 68.7 passer rating against. Now that is limited sample but seems like getting out of Schwartz scheme has done him some good. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

Seriously? :huh:

How many plays has his guy been targeted and how many plays has he given up?

Why McLeod and Mills we re-signed in the first place is mind boggling.   

actually no it isn’t.  This organization is run like a cult and Howie and Doug just like to bring back their buddies from the SB team  

thats why Curry and Peters are still here.  

• Like 3

Sorry but Slay was the ONLY positive with the defense. He is fine....its the rest of the secondary and LB's that are horrendous.....

But haven't we been ****ing about this for the past two years? (I know I have, at least)

3 minutes ago, Snoop88 said:

actually no it isn’t.  This organization is run like a cult and Howie and Doug just like to being back their buddies from the SB team  

For a minute, I thought it was just me because bringing back Mills constantly has been mind boggling to me...like....WHY???

• Like 1

Since we won the big one in 2017,

We have cut or traded, 

Cornerbacks: Robinson, Darby, Douglas, Bausby, Killings, Worley and Jones,

Linebackers: Bradham, Hicks, Kendricks, Grugier Hill, Ellerbe, Walker and Goode

Safety:  Jenkins, Watkins, Graham, Maragos and Tre Sullivan

We've Drafted or Signed

Cornerbacks:

Drafted: Maddox (still on Roster)

Signed (on roster): LeBlanc, Robey Coleman, Slay, James (on IR)

Signed and gone: Hawkins, Scandrick, Shelton, Chandon Sullivan

Linebackers:

Drafted: Taylor (0 snaps in 2 games), Bradley (8 snaps in 2 games) and Toohill (converted to DE) 

Signed (on roster):  Singleton, Edwards, RIley

Signed and gone by start of next season: Alexander, Bello, Nelson, Worrilow, Reynolds, Wilson, Fort, Brown, Worley, Pullard and Jatavis Brown

Safety:

Drafted: Wallace (6 snaps in 2 games)

Signed (on roster): Ford, Parks, Epps

Signed and gone by start of next season: Hall, Reaves, Gallon, Sendejo, Cyprien and Elston

Can anyone say that anything we've done since 2017 has improved or even maintained the quality of the defensive secondary? Do we have a plan at Linebacker and Safety beyond hoping to hit on waiver wire fodder and mid round projects?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

I don't know why NRC continues to start over LeBlanc at slot corner.  LeBlanc >> NRC.  

It's why last year Hollins and JJAW played over Ward.  

It's why Herbig played over Pryor.

Our coaches are morons.  They dont put the best players out there.

1 hour ago, Snoop88 said:

actually no it isn’t.  This organization is run like a cult and Howie and Doug just like to bring back their buddies from the SB team  

McLeod at least has experience and isnt bad.

Mills on the other hand is a waste.  He and Schwartz should be gone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Can anyone say that anything we've done since 2017 has improved or even maintained the quality of the defensive secondary? Do we have a plan at Linebacker and Safety beyond hoping to hit on waiver wire fodder and mid round projects?

1. No.

2. No.

Howie's personnel failures in the draft are astounding.

What is with the Mills hate... still. 

Mills was the guy who held Gronk in check during the 1st half of the SB. He literally has played 2 games at safety. He is 4th on the team in tackles and tied 2nd in solo tackles(9). He has more solo tackles than every LB. Gerry has 8 solo tackles. He's 1 assist from second in tackles on the entire team. 

I'm still not convinced by Slay. There were a couple of plays yesterday that he gave up that did leave me a little puzzled. You'd hope for more from your #1 corner. But overall yeah he has been OK. 

The rest? Mixed bag at best Id say. 

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

NRC is the slotgod

How does schwartz still have a job. We are either dumbest team or worst coached team in league. Probably a combination. We spend all this money on defensive tackles only to make them non factor with scheme. Graham/sweat/barnett all pinch inside all game never keeping contain. They need to set the edge and let malik/cox/hargrave collapse pocket not give qbs ability step in to every throw and have clean passing lanes.

Instead we let them run reverses and bootlegs and expose our known linebacker weakness. 

Also we bring slay in and yet still same scheme play 10 yards off.

What dirt does schwartz have over management

• Like 1

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

Agreed. 

17 minutes ago, Birdgang21 said:

How does schwartz still have a job. We are either dumbest team or worst coached team in league. Probably a combination. We spend all this money on defensive tackles only to make them non factor with scheme. Graham/sweat/barnett all pinch inside all game never keeping contain. They need to set the edge and let malik/cox/hargrave collapse pocket not give qbs ability step in to every throw and have clean passing lanes.

Instead we let them run reverses and bootlegs and expose our known linebacker weakness. 

Also we bring slay in and yet still same scheme play 10 yards off.

What dirt does schwartz have over management

Completely agreed.  I fully blame Schwartz' scheme.  Soft zone on 3rd and short, pinching DE's, the wide 9 formations, etc.  He needs to go, now.

The "Move Mills to Safety" crowd from last year is hurting right now.  Moving an oft burned corner with weak instincts  has led to an oft burned safety with weak instincts.  He has swagger and be a physical tackler, but they doesn't mean that he is any good.

Slay was a great addition.  But they let Jenkins go so they basically still just have 1 really good player in the secondary and a bunch of mediocre guys, with arguably the worst LB group in the NFL, and a supposed strong D line that has injuries to Barnett and Hargrave.

Cox in 2012 was the last difference maker they drafted on defense.  The only other 2 true difference makers since then were signing free agent Malcolm Jenkins (Chip wanted him btw) and trading for Slay.  They have drafted horribly on defense and it shows.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Slay was a great addition.  But they let Jenkins go so they basically still just have 1 really good player in the secondary and a bunch of mediocre guys, with arguably the worst LB group in the NFL, and a supposed strong D line that has injuries to Barnett and Hargrave.

Cox in 2012 was the last difference maker they drafted on defense.  The only other 2 true difference makers since then were signing free agent Malcolm Jenkins (Chip wanted him btw) and trading for Slay.  They have drafted horribly on defense and it shows.  

Agreed.  I look at some of the better defenses out there...the Niners, Ravens, Bills, etc. and just miss the days when we had a killer defense.  This team needs a defensive leader.

• Like 1