Ja'Marr Chase (LSU WR) -- DRAFTED BY CINCINNATI #5

Godfather

3 hours ago, Infam said:

He is slow

You can give your opinion on things, but when you use hyperbole and just say things that are factually incorrect, it's hard to take your opinions seriously. 

Ja'Marr Chase is "slow". It's just incorrect man. 

He averaged 21.2 yards per catch (4th in the country) on 84 catches (17th in the country) for 1780 yards (1st in the country) and 20 TDs (1st in the country) in the SEC in 2019. The best conference in college football and it's not close. He's not "slow". I mean c'mon. 

The kid is running past guys like Noah Igbinoghene, CJ Henderson, Cam Danzler, Troy Pride, Surtain ... I mean, c'mon. 

You can say you don't "like the way he catches the ball". I have no idea what you don't like about it, but that's opinion. "He's slow" just doesn't cut it. 

17 minutes ago, stinkfist said:

You can give your opinion on things, but when you use hyperbole and just say things that are factually incorrect, it's hard to take your opinions seriously. 

Ja'Marr Chase is "slow". It's just incorrect man. 

He averaged 21.2 yards per catch (4th in the country) on 84 catches (17th in the country) for 1780 yards (1st in the country) and 20 TDs (1st in the country) in the SEC in 2019. The best conference in college football and it's not close. He's not "slow". I mean c'mon. 

The kid is running past guys like Noah Igbinoghene, CJ Henderson, Cam Danzler, Troy Pride, Surtain ... I mean, c'mon. 

You can say you don't "like the way he catches the ball". I have no idea what you don't like about it, but that's opinion. "He's slow" just doesn't cut it. 

I don't even think he will beat the 4.5 at the combine. Sure, compared to me he is fast. But if you put him besides Smith and Waddle - yeah, slow is the right word.

His good stats mostly stem from contested catches, and that doesn't translate as well. He is the prototypical hype guy that gets drafted too early.

I am not saying he will be a total bust. All I say is I see him as the #3 WR in the draft, and that we should not spend a top10 pick on him.

11 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

You can make a case for Smith. I personally dont see the case for Waddle. Waddle is a great talent but ya

Just for fun: The updated CBS Rankings have all three in the top10, with Smith and Waddle at 8 and 9..

1 hour ago, Infam said:

I don't even think he will beat the 4.5 at the combine. Sure, compared to me he is fast. But if you put him besides Smith and Waddle - yeah, slow is the right word.

His good stats mostly stem from contested catches, and that doesn't translate as well. He is the prototypical hype guy that gets drafted too early.

I am not saying he will be a total bust. All I say is I see him as the #3 WR in the draft, and that we should not spend a top10 pick on him.

PM

5 hours ago, Infam said:

He is slow, and I don't like the way he catches the ball. Yes he looked good fighting for the ball, but that is just the kind of thing that doesn't translate well most of the times.

I don't see how a top10 pick is justified for a guy like this. Rather have a WR that can really run.

Howie ... if you are reading this ... do NOT listen to this guy!!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, time2rock said:

Howie ... if you are reading this ... do NOT listen to this guy!!  

Don't worry, he almost never does. 😄👍

• Haha 2

On 12/16/2020 at 7:04 AM, Infam said:

To your first statement. DeAndre Hopkins, Michael Thomas, Keenan Allen, Davante Adams, Larry Fitzgerald ... none of them ran below 4.5. Hell, a few ran 4.7. We don't need to go to Jerry Rice, Terrell Owens, Isaac Bruce ... By the way, Daniel Jeremiah says that Alabama believe he's run low 4.5s at the Combine. 

1 hour ago, stinkfist said:

To your first statement. DeAndre Hopkins, Michael Thomas, Keenan Allen, Davante Adams, Larry Fitzgerald ... none of them ran below 4.5. Hell, a few ran 4.7. We don't need to go to Jerry Rice, Terrell Owens, Isaac Bruce ... By the way, Daniel Jeremiah says that Alabama believe he's run low 4.5s at the Combine. 

Smith is just the better WR. If both are available, I much rather have Smith.

1 hour ago, Infam said:

Smith is just the better WR. If both are available, I much rather have Smith.

Maybe he is. There's a lot to like. That said, the gift to football you're describing isn't reality. He's 175 pounds and Sark puts him in ridiculously good situations. 

Play 1 - RPO that in the NFL, he is on his butt blocking like that and never runs that route. An NFL corner just doesn't go for that and if you tell me differently, there's no use talking. Now, past that outstanding play design, he hits the jets and is GONE. 

Play 2 - God mode activated. He looks like a mixture of Julio Jones and DeSean Jackson. That's freakish. 

Play 3 - Given free release in a Cover 2 and beats a safety in zone coverage. That's not a highlight play. That's a play that if you don't make, you bench your QB forever. 

Play 4 - Pretty sure he just beat Eric Stokes one on one. Stokes can play. Then again, ridiculous catch. 

Play 5 - Outran the nickle on an adjusting cross/rub route and just beat him with speed. Good job. 

Play 6 - They blitz HIS CORNER and let him one on one AGAIN against a safety? Again, thanks? 

Play 7 - Pick play in the end zone and he beat a safety for a TD. That or the smallest LB I've ever seen. The Eagles will probably draft 17 and put him at WLB. 😂

I mean I'm not going to go on, but he's far from destroying everyone by just being super human. I like him though. I know guys that think he's the best receiver in the draft. 

He's simply a 175-pound kid when I'm already dealing with another tiny tot in Reagor and frankly, my QB can't hit the broad side of a barn unless it's 6'2 so all of these receivers are defective. 

Spoiler

• Thanks 1

Anyone saying measureables are of no concern regarding Chase isn’t being honest.

However, he was CLEARLY superior to Justin Jefferson at LSU while getting the main focus of the coverage. Now Jefferson is having one of the best rookie WR seasons in decades.

This might be the toughest non-QB evaluation I’ve ever seen.

More importantly, I think the Eagles have too many needs to draft a luxury position this early.

18 hours ago, SBorBust said:

More importantly, I think the Eagles have too many needs to draft a luxury position this early.

Wide receiver is a luxury position?

Next season their starting receivers are Travis Fulgham, Jalen Reagor and Greg Ward. Two former practice squad guys and a 1st rounder. Behind them you have a 5th rounder, a 6th rounder and a 2nd rounder who will probably be cut. 

I'm not sure how it's a luxury position. 

Defensive tackle, quarterback and running back are the only luxury positions I see on this team. 

They need the best possible player and if they think any of these receivers are a Pro Bowl or All Pro caliber player, they need to grab them like they're hot. 

This coming from a guy who wants nothing but defense. As far as I'm concerned you could just draft defense and offensive line in every draft. 

• Like 1

This guy is built like a mack truck. Destroyed all draft eligible corners. Had one of the greatest Sec seasons of all time. He is a freak. 

Scouts say he has a better vertical game than Amari Cooper coming out. 

We might not have a shot at him anyways. 

Luxury pick we don't need, especially w/5 young WR's on the roster we drafted in the last two drafts that are developing.  Prefer trading out for a King's Ransom if we can.

9 hours ago, Arsenal79 said:

Luxury pick we don't need, especially w/5 young WR's on the roster we drafted in the last two drafts that are developing.  Prefer trading out for a King's Ransom if we can.

Sorry but I disagree.

Although they took Reagor in the first, I never viewed him as a go to target but merely as a complementary piece on offense. That’s why I wanted them to select Jefferson in the first place. We don’t know what we have in Hightower and Fulgham, JJAW is a complete bust and both Ward and Watkins are nice players to have on the roster but are best suited to be back-up’s.

With both Alshon and DJax likely leaving, we severely lack a reliable go to target for whoever’s quarterbacking this team.

Ohhh and if we pick in that 5-10 range, there’s a good chance a receiver is going to be BPA. Yes, we could definitely use another pass rusher or cornerback but the value might just not be there in that range. The DE class isn’t good but I can see some good corners being available in that late first/early second round range. Personally I’d be extremely disappointed if we pass on Chase or Smith in the first if they’re on the board.

BPA meets dire need! Get it right for once!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ray75 said:

Although they took Reagor in the first, I never viewed him as a go to target but merely as a complementary piece on offense

Agreed. Reagor was never supposed to be a volume catch guy. He was supposed to be a dynamic play maker. Stretching the field but also turning short passes in to long gains. He has the athleticism to be someone who is more than just a deep threat but he's not a big volume guy.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Agreed. Reagor was never supposed to be a volume catch guy. He was supposed to be a dynamic play maker. Stretching the field but also turning short passes in to long gains. He has the athleticism to be someone who is more than just a deep threat but he's not a big volume guy.

Indeed.

Plus I’m tired of this ongoing discussion our receiver corps isn’t good enough. By adding Chase or Smith maybe we won’t have to worry about that anymore.

I also believe adding a true No.1 receiver will elevate the play of our other young receivers because of the opponent’s focus on stopping Chase/Smith.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Indeed.

Plus I’m tired of this ongoing discussion our receiver corps isn’t good enough. By adding Chase or Smith maybe we won’t have to worry about that anymore.

I also believe adding a true No.1 receiver will elevate the play of our other young receivers because of the opponent’s focus on stopping Chase/Smith.

Agreed. 

For years now the receivers simply haven't been good enough on this team. Add in that Ertz very likely won't be here and there's a real need for a legit WR stud.

45 minutes ago, Infam said:

... and draft Smith! :whistle:

Ha, ha...

I love both Chase and Smith but slightly prefer the former because of his physicality and  those 25 lbs he has on Smith but I’d be happy with either one.

With Houston winning and us probably winning today, I still think we're in a spot to draft Chase. Dolphins might take Smith because his chemistry with Tua. Also Smith is about to win the Heisman after a terrific season and Chase sat out. Who knows what's going through the FO mind

1 hour ago, Godfather said:

With Houston winning and us probably winning today, I still think we're in a spot to draft Chase. Dolphins might take Smith because his chemistry with Tua. Also Smith is about to win the Heisman after a terrific season and Chase sat out. Who knows what's going through the FO mind

You’re not accounting for one very important thing; the Jets might not go QB with the 2nd overall pick.

Joe Douglas could either take Sewell or Chase there and even if they’d pick the former, I can easily see Bengals taking Chase to pair with Burrow as a consolation price because they missed out on the OT.

Just now, Ray75 said:

You’re not accounting for one very important thing; the Jets might not go QB with the 2nd overall pick.

Joe Douglas could either take Sewell or Chase there and even if they’d pick the former, I can easily see Bengals taking Chase to pair with Burrow as a consolation price because they missed out on the OT.

They took Higgins last year and there was an article yesterday that came out that Bengals are all over Pitts which makes a ton of sense. Jets could go Sewell or trade out. He did learn under the great Ozzie Newsome. I think they grab Sewell

5 minutes ago, Godfather said:

They took Higgins last year and there was an article yesterday that came out that Bengals are all over Pitts which makes a ton of sense. Jets could go Sewell or trade out. He did learn under the great Ozzie Newsome. I think they grab Sewell

And you think Cincy’s gonna take a TE at 3?!