Ja'Marr Chase (LSU WR) -- DRAFTED BY CINCINNATI #5

Godfather

4 hours ago, time2rock said:

If Chase is sitting there and we pass on him, I can almost guarnatee you whoever the next team picking is will run to the podium to take him (regardless of whether WR is a need for that team).  It will be similar to Dallas having Lamb falling into their laps this year.  WR was certainly not a need with both Cooper and Gallup there, but they couldn't pass on taking the BPA.  

When it comes to talent evaluation and acquisition, the Jones >>>> Howie.  

Taking a WR projected as top 10 who has fallen at pick 16 is completely different than taking a WR who has "fallen” from pick 4 to 6. 

Even if we ignore the uncertainty with the fact that chase won’t have played football in over a year, what we’ve learned is that NFL teams just don’t value WRs as top 10 picks. Last year almost everybody was projecting Lamb and Jeudy as top 10 picks yet they were both taken after pick 14. The drop off from the top WR in recent drafts to the ones taken in the late first/second round is not great at all. In fact most of the great WRs in the league right now have been taken after the top 10. Now compare that to OT/DE/CB and you’ll see a huge difference in talent drop off between those top guys and the late first/second round guys. 

1 hour ago, wtfcares said:

Taking a WR projected as top 10 who has fallen at pick 16 is completely different than taking a WR who has "fallen” from pick 4 to 6. 

Even if we ignore the uncertainty with the fact that chase won’t have played football in over a year, what we’ve learned is that NFL teams just don’t value WRs as top 10 picks. Last year almost everybody was projecting Lamb and Jeudy as top 10 picks yet they were both taken after pick 14. The drop off from the top WR in recent drafts to the ones taken in the late first/second round is not great at all. In fact most of the great WRs in the league right now have been taken after the top 10. Now compare that to OT/DE/CB and you’ll see a huge difference in talent drop off between those top guys and the late first/second round guys. 

I completely agree with your assessment in any other year but this class is different.

There’s only one OT, two DE’s and two CB’s worthy of a top 10 pick. The tackle will likely be off the board, one of the CB’s is best suited to play in a man coverage scheme and would be a bad fit in zone, the other hasn’t played this year and has a medical history, one DE is pretty raw and on top of that hasn’t played all year and the other we’ll probably have interest in but although good can’t be compared to the likes of Chase Young or any of the Bosa brothers from a talent perspective. 

If Chase is on the board, not only would he fill a huge need, he might just be the BPA.

2 hours ago, Ray75 said:

I completely agree with your assessment in any other year but this class is different.

There’s only one OT, two DE’s and two CB’s worthy of a top 10 pick. The tackle will likely be off the board, one of the CB’s is best suited to play in a man coverage scheme and would be a bad fit in zone, the other hasn’t played this year and has a medical history, one DE is pretty raw and on top of that hasn’t played all year and the other we’ll probably have interest in but although good can’t be compared to the likes of Chase Young or any of the Bosa brothers from a talent perspective. 

If Chase is on the board, not only would he fill a huge need, he might just be the BPA.

I see no problem with Surtan being a man corner. Obviously it depends who the DC is here next year and what kind of scheme they run but Schwartz mainly plays Man and Cover 3(which is basically man for the outside corners). If you’re drafting a CB that high, you expect him to man up a WR and shut him down. 

If both Seawell and Surtan are gone by pick 6, that means at least 1 or 2 of the top 4 QBs are still there, and there will be QB needy teams that are going to want to move up. I’d be looking to trade down to around Pick 15-18. That would probably net us a 2021 2nd and 2022 1st. A first and 2 seconds this year plus 2 firsts and a second next year would be a much needed injection of good young talent in this team. 

First of all before we start dreaming of Chase, we need to lose next week at all cost. Should have started Sudfield and Barnett, Cox, Mailata all need to miss the game.. Lose the damn game EAGLESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jeep_man said:

First of all before we start dreaming of Chase, we need to lose next week at all cost. Should have started Sudfield and Barnett, Cox, Mailata all need to miss the game.. Lose the damn game EAGLESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs

Agreed but if you trade back that far, you’ll probably be missing out on the top prospects.

A few players I like in that range; Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, Jaycee Horn, Wyatt Davis, Rashod Bateman.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Agreed but if you trade back that far, you’ll probably be missing out on the top prospects.

A few players I like in that range; Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, Jaycee Horn, Wyatt Davis, Rashod Bateman.

In that 13-18 range, IMO Davis would be BPA and would greatly help to improve the OL in front of whoever the Eagles decide to roll with at QB next season.  Kelce has said he's been considering retirement for the last few seasons and Brooks is coming off his 2nd major leg injury and is 30+yo now so an IOL could be a bigger need than most expect.  This kid could come in and contribute right away and that's what you want from your high 1st Round draft pick is an immediate impact player.  I do like the idea of adding Chase to the WR group as so far Reagor hasn't impressed, Fulgham while he had a great 4 game run the fact is we still don't know exactly what we him with him, Watkins has shown flashes but is still on the raw side and probably needs another 1-2 years to be consistently productive, Hightower has more work to do than Watkins and Ward is Jason Avant Light at best (though Avant is loads better as a blocker).  Chase would probably walk in and still be the best WR we have.  With a whole season off from football and the likelihood that we'll see a near repeat of the lack of OTAs and TC (the NFLPA has talked about this) the question is how good will Chase be from the start?  Will it take him time to get up to speed?  Jefferson came off a full college season and previously the idea had been that Chase had made Jefferson look good at LSU, but with Jefferson's success in the NFL is it more a case of Jefferson making Chase look good?

I agree that among the other positions there's really nothing special this draft like there has been in the past so Chase would very well be BPA at anywhere from 5 to 10 so you take him because he's BPA and he should be able to help your QB in his first season, unlike Reagor or JJAW.  We still have one more game to determine our draft position and maybe some other team makes us an offer we can't say 'no' to.  I do like the idea of acquiring more picks for 2022 as there should be more of a college season in 2021 so better able to evaluate players next draft, so I'd be OK with a trade down for the right offer. 

• Like 1

A lot of mocks I've seen has Smith to the Eagles. Including Kiper and Mcshay

On 12/29/2020 at 3:36 PM, wtfcares said:

You are right.  In looking back through recent drafts, the top WRs were drafted at 12 (Ruggs) and Jeudy (15) in 2020, at 25 (Brown) and 32 (Harry) in 2019, at 24 (Moore) and 26 (Ridley) in 2018.  It has been since 2017 since a WR was taken top 10 (Davis at 5, Williams at 7, Ross at 9) - and only one of those appear to have been a very good pick.  

Honestly, I just want to hit on a difference maker with such a high pick, regardless of position.  We could use top talent at so many positions - they really need to hit on whoever they pick (and be able to develop him properly).  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Honestly, I just want to hit on a difference maker with such a high pick, regardless of position.  We could use top talent at so many positions - they really need to hit on whoever they pick (and be able to develop him properly).  

That's exactly where I'm at. This team has so many holes and issues that I just want a young difference maker. If that's Chase at WR and it really works out then great. If it's a CB then great. If it's a LB who becomes one of the best in the league then great. 

• Like 3

With the game Fields just played it’s probably good news for anyone who wants the Eagles to draft Chase. He probably solidified himself as the #2 pick to either the Jets or a trade up. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

With the game Fields just played it’s probably good news for anyone who wants the Eagles to draft Chase. He probably solidified himself as the #2 pick to either the Jets or a trade up. 

See I agree that NY likely go with Fields. But I can't help but feel that it's a bad combination there. I'm a huge Fields fan but I'm not sure he is a fit in NY.

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

See I agree that NY likely go with Fields. But I can't help but feel that it's a bad combination there. I'm a huge Fields fan but I'm not sure he is a fit in NY.

Well it's good for us haha. Drops Penei Sewell to 3 at the earliest and increases the odds of us getting the prospect we want.

• Like 1

I didn't realize that Chase beat Patrick Surtain quite a few times. That is the rumored Cowboys draft pick. So both Diggs and Surtain couldn't stop him. Lol

Five wide receiver selections in three years just seems like overkill especially after watching the Eagles secondary get completely exposed this season and them using 14 different guys on the offensive line. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Five wide receiver selections in three years just seems like overkill especially after watching the Eagles secondary get completely exposed this season and them using 14 different guys on the offensive line. 

Yes, but we cannot reach for a defensive back when there are elite players on the board. The most important thing is to draft players that will be good at their position and stay with the team for a long time.

I know your are not saying otherwise, just want to point that out.

2 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

Yes, but we cannot reach for a defensive back when there are elite players on the board. The most important thing is to draft players that will be good at their position and stay with the team for a long time.

I know your are not saying otherwise, just want to point that out.

Is this guy that can’t miss? It just feels like we are going to screw this up and it’s hard to get him the ball if our QB is on his back the whole time. 

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Is this guy that can’t miss? It just feels like we are going to screw this up and it’s hard to get him the ball if our QB is on his back the whole time. 

I completely agree. To be honest my #1 target would be Fields. Other than Fields, I do think Sewell, Chase and Smith are the best players available (obviously outside of Lawrence and Fields).

11 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Chase is one of the most can't miss prospects in a long time. He has exceled at every level of competition. He has beaten all the draft eligible receivers. Not just beaten. He destroyed them. 5 star recruit. LSU gave him number 7 this year. Past players who have been given that are Patrick Peterson and Tyrann Mathieu. 

He is one of the best press beaters people have seen come out in ages. Stingley is the number 1 corner next year. Chase routinely cooked him at LSU practices. 

I would take Sewell over him though. BPA. The team has so many holes.

10 minutes ago, AzBirdGang said:

Chase is one of the most can't miss prospects in a long time. He has exceled at every level of competition. He has beaten all the draft eligible receivers. Not just beaten. He destroyed them. 5 star recruit. LSU gave him number 7 this year. Past players who have been given that are Patrick Peterson and Tyrann Mathieu. 

He is one of the best press beaters people have seen come out in ages. Stingley is the number 1 corner next year. Chase routinely cooked him at LSU practices. 

I am only going to push back one point you made.

Chase did not routinely cook Stingley in practice. While some videos on YouTube show Chase getting the best of Stingley on a couple of routes, the reports say they were pretty much tie. 

Not to mention, beating someone one on one in practice is not that impressive. Offensive player has the advantage in those drills.

What's more impressive is what Smith has done to Stingley in two regular season games. Not saying Smith is better than Chase but that practice point was not a great point IMO

9 minutes ago, AzBirdGang said:

Thanks for the info. This team has so many holes I feel like drafting another WR doesn’t seem like the best thing to do, but if this guy could be the next T.O. Then maybe? I’ve seen him linked to the Eagles as far back as 9 though.

Chase might be the best WR prospect since Calvin Johnson, he is that dominant. I know we have sunk a lot of capital in that position, but this is not someone you pass up on.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2020 at 8:36 PM, wtfcares said:

52 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Thanks for the info. This team has so many holes I feel like drafting another WR doesn’t seem like the best thing to do, but if this guy could be the next T.O. Then maybe? I’ve seen him linked to the Eagles as far back as 9 though.

If Chase truly is far and away the BPA at 6, then fair enough. WR is a need, no doubt. 

But we have so many holes and the D is genuinely about to fall off a cliff. 

People are obsessive about WRs, but so few of the elite ones win Super Bowls. The Cards stole Deandre Hopkins from the Texans, the best receiver in the game. Cardinals didn't make the playoffs. Vikings got Jefferson. Unbelievable rookie season. Didn't make the playoffs. Cowboys and Lamb - didn't make the playoffs. 

Good teams can take number 1 WRs away or at least make sure they don't beat them. QB, O-Line play and at least a solid D are all bigger priorities.