Ja'Marr Chase (LSU WR) -- DRAFTED BY CINCINNATI #5

Godfather

28 minutes ago, nipples said:

Well 5 wins could still be a top 5 pick. Miami was 5-11 last year and picked 5th. 

If we end up with a top 10 pick I literally have no favorite prospect. I do want an elite one though. We still have a long way to go but I’d be happy with either Chase, Parsons, the best corner in either Surtain, Wade or Farley or a pass rusher like Basham (think Rousseau could have used another year in college to work on his fundamentals and pass rush moves. He’s so raw!).

• Like 2

Right now, the Eagles are picking 19th. I expect that to change, unless of course if they win this crap division, then they stay where they are, and the elite prospects go elsewhere yet again.

We are one week closer to drafting Chase. After getting blown out next week to the Ravens we will be even closer to top 5

If the Cowgirls somehow win the NFC Least over us and we do end up with a top 10 pick then I would like Chase to be our choice.  Now, it's still early and only 2 games of a sample size, but Fulgham looks like a legit NFL WR.  Not a big time star player, but a guy you can get positive production out of.  If he continues to play in the ballpark of his last 2 games (certainly not expecting 10 for 150 each game, but even 5 for 75 is above average good) then a trio of Chase, Reagor and Fulgham could be fun to watch.  They could be deployed in any assortment, taking turns playing the slot WR, the X and the Z.  Could have fun creating mismatches with them.  Well, maybe if we break down and hire an actual OC who would know how to do that instead of OC by committee.  

We can dream.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PoconoDon said:

11th as of today.

Need to boost that a little more i think. Mind you next week may help us boost that...

• Like 1

I’m all in on getting Chase. 

Im still not sold on Wentz either though... so tough to not take Fields if he’s there. My best case scenario is Hurts gets starts this year and looks legit. Then you draft Chase, and let Wentz/Hurts have a legitimate competition for the starting job next year. 

On 10/8/2020 at 3:05 PM, Ray75 said:

If we end up with a top 10 pick I literally have no favorite prospect. I do want an elite one though. We still have a long way to go but I’d be happy with either Chase, Parsons, the best corner in either Surtain, Wade or Farley or a pass rusher like Basham (think Rousseau could have used another year in college to work on his fundamentals and pass rush moves. He’s so raw!).

I don't know much about college players, but I do know that we need an elite player if we pick in the top 10 and we also need huge help on the D. If we are in the right spot for Chase then that's fine, I've heard great things. But we can't be giving up much to get him. You have the right approach of best player available. We have a lot of needs to fill.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I don't know much about college players, but I do know that we need an elite player if we pick in the top 10 and we also need huge help on the D. If we are in the right spot for Chase then that's fine, I've heard great things. But we can't be giving up much to get him. You have the right approach of best player available. We have a lot of needs to fill.

Absolutely agree with you. If Chase is there then he's probably BPA but otherwise we just need to bring in whoever is BPA and rebuild this roster. A play maker on defense would be really nice. 

• Like 1

If the draft was today the Eagles would be #9. We need to keep losing to get into range. Come on Giants!

21 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

If the draft was today the Eagles would be #9. We need to keep losing to get into range. Come on Giants!

Without that stupid tie, they'd be 3rd. I hate ties.

33 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

Without that stupid tie, they'd be 3rd. I hate ties.

If Doug Pederson just let Jake Elliott Miss that long FG we would have lost. So much for "Fearless." But there is still a hope for top 5 lol

I would rather see a defensive end or a left tackle at the top of the draft.  The field can be stretched with guys in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th rounds.  Look at the teams with all-star WRs.  Bengals (AJ Green), Falcons (Julio Jones), Raiders/Cowboys (Amari Cooper)... all guys picked in the top 7.  All guys that are wilting away on bad teams because they cannot protect their own QB long enough to find him or get after the opposing QB quick enough to keep points off the board.

On the biggest stage, Julian Edelman and Rob Gronkowski were the last WRs to take over a Super Bowl.  Edelman was drafted in the 7th round lol.  And Rob Gronkowski will go down as the most talented TE to ever play the game.  He had more talent than than both Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzales.  I think even Shannon Sharpe would tell you that Gronkowski was just a freak of nature.  Is Chase going to be the best WR ever? Is he the most talent WR to come out of college period? 

Tony Gonzales, by the way, is by far and away the BEST tight end to ever play, but Gronkowski is the most talented. Just want to distinguish that.

Needless to say... we should not be wasting a top-ten pick on Ja'Marr Chase  Sorry.

2 minutes ago, IFB DOG said:

I would rather see a defensive end or a left tackle at the top of the draft.  The field can be stretched with guys in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th rounds.  Look at the teams with all-star WRs.  Bengals (AJ Green), Falcons (Julio Jones), Raiders/Cowboys (Amari Cooper)... all guys picked in the top 7.  All guys that are wilting away on bad teams because they cannot protect their own QB long enough to find him or get after the opposing QB quick enough to keep points off the board.

On the biggest stage, Julian Edelman and Rob Gronkowski were the last WRs to take over a Super Bowl.  Edelman was drafted in the 7th round lol.  And Rob Gronkowski will go down as the most talented TE to ever play the game.  He had more talent than than both Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzales.  I think even Shannon Sharpe would tell you that Gronkowski was just a freak of nature.  Is Chase going to be the best WR ever? Is he the most talent WR to come out of college period? 

Tony Gonzales, by the way, is by far and away the BEST tight end to ever play, but Gronkowski is the most talented. Just want to distinguish that.

Needless to say... we should not be wasting a top-ten pick on Ja'Marr Chase  Sorry.

This class is very weak at DE. Mialata has looked very good and they still have Dillard. If Chase is the BPA you take him no questions asked. This team has holes all over including wr still

9 minutes ago, Godfather said:

This class is very weak at DE. Mialata has looked very good and they still have Dillard. If Chase is the BPA you take him no questions asked. This team has holes all over including wr still

BPAAAPON is so much more critical than BPA.  Otherwise, you end up with nobody to block for your QB.  Right now we need a sack machine and someone to blunt the sacks.   Dillard is done.  Stick a knife in him and move on.  He's not going to kick to guard and he has no ability to play RT. 

If you could draft Quenton Nelson or Ja'Marr Chase right now, who would you pick?

18 minutes ago, IFB DOG said:

BPAAAPON is so much more critical than BPA.  Otherwise, you end up with nobody to block for your QB.  Right now we need a sack machine and someone to blunt the sacks.   Dillard is done.  Stick a knife in him and move on.  He's not going to kick to guard and he has no ability to play RT. 

If you could draft Quenton Nelson or Ja'Marr Chase right now, who would you pick?

Good luck finding your sack master in this draft. That's a ridiculous question. Unlike the Colts when they drafted Nelson we have an oline. I'd say the only question mark would be Kelce because of retirement talks. Mialata looks like the future at LT. WR, LB, RB and CB are bigger needs. Oline had me concerned early in the season but with how well Mialata and Driscoll have played, they put that to rest 

4 hours ago, Godfather said:

Good luck finding your sack master in this draft. That's a ridiculous question. Unlike the Colts when they drafted Nelson we have an oline. I'd say the only question mark would be Kelce because of retirement talks. Mialata looks like the future at LT. WR, LB, RB and CB are bigger needs. Oline had me concerned early in the season but with how well Mialata and Driscoll have played, they put that to rest 

We've given up 25 sacks and are -7 in the turnover battle.  Protection is a MAJOR issue.   Jack Driscoll was doing fine as a pass blocker before his injury, but was carted off and it was ugly.  Lane Johnson is a total question mark anymore in regards to staying on the field.  Peters is done.  Who knows how Brooks comes back after his third major injury.   Kelce could retire any year now.  

The offensive line is a HUGE question mark for 2021. Driscoll has a major injury.  Herbig has had moments, but still giving up pressure.  Johnson with his ongoing ankle injuries will not likely get suddenly better. He has missed 6 of the last 22 games.  Andre Dillard has been a total disappointment (PAC-12 baby!).  Pryor couldn't even beat out UDFAs.  Seumalo came on strong last year after being a disappointment for three years. Now a major knee injury on his card, what does that do to him?

I don't know... this team has its work cut out to build up the offensive line again.

Mailata  (any good?) / Dillard (INJ)
Seumalo (INJ)
Kelce (RET)
Brooks (INJ), Herbig (any good?)
Johnson (INJ), Driscoll (INJ)

Oh boy.... that looks really, really ugly and really, really, really concerning. 

20 minutes ago, IFB DOG said:

We've given up 25 sacks and are -7 in the turnover battle.  Protection is a MAJOR issue.   Jack Driscoll was doing fine as a pass blocker before his injury, but was carted off and it was ugly.  Lane Johnson is a total question mark anymore in regards to staying on the field.  Peters is done.  Who knows how Brooks comes back after his third major injury.   Kelce could retire any year now.  

The offensive line is a HUGE question mark for 2021. Driscoll has a major injury.  Herbig has had moments, but still giving up pressure.  Johnson with his ongoing ankle injuries will not likely get suddenly better. He has missed 6 of the last 22 games.  Andre Dillard has been a total disappointment (PAC-12 baby!).  Pryor couldn't even beat out UDFAs.  Seumalo came on strong last year after being a disappointment for three years. Now a major knee injury on his card, what does that do to him?

I don't know... this team has its work cut out to build up the offensive line again.

Mailata  (any good?) / Dillard (INJ)
Seumalo (INJ)
Kelce (RET)
Brooks (INJ), Herbig (any good?)
Johnson (INJ), Driscoll (INJ)

Oh boy.... that looks really, really ugly and really, really, really concerning. 

How many of those sacks are on a Wentz holding onto it for too long? If you've watched the past few games you can see Mialata looks legit. He's made a few rookie errors here and there but that's expected. Lane should've had that surgery after last season ended. Not sure who's fault it was waiting a few weeks before the opener but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the medical staff. Brooks will bounce back and be fine. This is a deep oline class so they can take someone like Chase if he's the bpa and get online in the 2nd or 3rd rd or whatever they choose. They sold out on speed last year. This year should be BPA. Wentz needs a playmaker. Jury is out on Reagor due to his injury and Fulgham looks good. Ward is a slot guy. Chase would fit in nicely. Or a Devonta Smith 

38 minutes ago, Godfather said:

How many of those sacks are on a Wentz holding onto it for too long? If you've watched the past few games you can see Mialata looks legit. He's made a few rookie errors here and there but that's expected. Lane should've had that surgery after last season ended. Not sure who's fault it was waiting a few weeks before the opener but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the medical staff. Brooks will bounce back and be fine. This is a deep oline class so they can take someone like Chase if he's the bpa and get online in the 2nd or 3rd rd or whatever they choose. They sold out on speed last year. This year should be BPA. Wentz needs a playmaker. Jury is out on Reagor due to his injury and Fulgham looks good. Ward is a slot guy. Chase would fit in nicely. Or a Devonta Smith 

I'm not a fan of Reagor.  I didn't think that he was the BPA, nor even the best RECEIVER available.  I liked Aiyuk and Shenault (who went MUCH later) a lot more.  Even Tee Higgins stood out against better competition to me.   I had Reagor as the fifth best receiver available, just behind Jefferson (who, of the five, is actually performing the best). 

I was hoping Cesar Ruiz was going to be the pick.   Give me the best center / guard in the entire draft all day every day.  He is going to be an All-Pro. 

But if Reagor checks out, he's your Z.  Fulgham looks like a legit X.  Ward is the defacto Y.  He's clutch (though I finally saw him drop one lol). 

I don't see WR as this magnificent need.  Receivers are like running backs... they're a dime a dozen.  

16 hours ago, IFB DOG said:

I don't see WR as this magnificent need.  Receivers are like running backs... they're a dime a dozen.  

Are they? JJAW? Hollins? Gibson? Turner? Agholor? I mean ultimately JMatt has struggled to hold down a spot in the NFL. 

2nd -5th round interior O-linemen are a dime a dozen. Also, finding an impact WR outside of the 1st round is unusual. If you have to choose, take the skill position player.

58 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Are they? JJAW? Hollins? Gibson? Turner? Agholor? I mean ultimately JMatt has struggled to hold down a spot in the NFL. 

Mack Hollins is on the Dolphins active roster.

Nelson Agholor is starring on the Raiders.

Paul Turner had 9 catches on 120 snaps.  Don't know where he was lacking to not make an NFL roster.

Shelton Gibson was awful.

Jordan Matthews had 275 catches, 3300 yards, and 22 TDs in his career, averaging about 70% of the snaps. 

Since 2009, we've had 34 players on the roster that have more than 20 career catches.  Of those players, 13 of them have more than 60 catches.  36 players in that time have caught a TD.  So with a decade of data, we can show that just about any player that can catch the ball can contribute in some way. Damarious Johnson went on to start for the Texans.  DeAndre Carter is actively contributing to the Texans and played 80% of the snaps in their playoff win two years ago.  Robert Davis started for the Redskins.

I notice you didn't mention Fulgham.  Or Greg Ward.  And you diminished the performance of Jordan Matthews, who actually did perform for us. We also had a ton of TEs make a contribution or even star. Ertz, Burton, Goedert, Perkins, Rodgers...  Clay Harbor had a six year career.

Just because we haven't picked them, doesn't mean legit WRs aren't available all throughout the draft and UDFA.   Schuster-Smith, DJ Chark & Courtland Sutton made the Pro Bowl as 2nd round draft picks.  Chris Godwin and Kenny Golladay as 3rd round picks.   Our talent evaluation has been awful.  People on this board seem to be better at ranking college players.  I don't know if it is some sort of bias in the interviews (against schools, backgrounds, playbooks, anything) or what... but we simply have not drafted good wide receivers - especially right in front of stars.  I was jumping up and down for Metcalf and the team picks freakin' JJAW.   W. T. F.  I literally had Metcalf as a top-10 talent.  And we pass on him for a guy that most of us had going in the 4th-5th rounds. 

1 minute ago, IFB DOG said:

Our talent evaluation has been awful

Right but our issue is talent evaluation... So you can argue that WRs are a dime a dozen but then you recognise that Howie is a terrible talent evaluator...