Our Offense SUCKS ... and It’s Not Just Wentz

time2rock

Watching the creativity of so many other offenses (KC, Seattle, Baltimore, NO, GB, Dallas, heck even Buffalo and Arizona, and others), I really have become to think we need to move on from Doug.  The "emotional intelligence” he brings is great when it comes to getting players to buy in, but it sure would help if they had a really good system in which to buy in.  We haven’t had that on offense since that magical 2017 season - the offense has been stagnant and completely uncreative since then.  The defense hasn’t been stellar either but this is an offense-oriented era and ours hasn’t been anywhere near good enough to compete with the top dogs the past few years.  

• Like 10

This team has become downright boring to watch. Seems like major laboring for every yard they get.

Defense is uninspiring. Gets very little turnovers. Once in a blue moon we get a good sack day like we did yesterday, though it helps to play a rookie behind a bad line. Not creating with blitzes like JJ used to have.

Just bad all around.

• Like 1

No amount of creativity is gonna change the fact that Wentz is missing wide open targets, he can't even hit a screen pass on the money.

• Like 11

Doug's play calling is definitely an issue. 

The poor drafting and weak talent might be forcing his hand, but you watch other NFL games and the use of motion to create mismatches and openings stands out when compared to watching Eagle's games. 

Andy Reid has been around forever, but he is still a master at keeping things fresh and innovating his offensive calls. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

This team has become downright boring to watch. Seems like major laboring for every yard they get.

Defense is uninspiring. Gets very little turnovers. Once in a blue moon we get a good sack day like we did yesterday, though it helps to play a rookie behind a bad line. Not creating with blitzes like JJ used to have.

Just bad all around.

Yes, that was the correct way to describe it. BORING....nothing at all to get excited about....I dont even look forward to Sundays.....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Just bad all around.

No doubt the defense is a major issue too.  Gym Shorts is in the final year of his deal ... it won’t surprise me in the least if they allow him to walk and keep everyone else (basically making him the most recent scapegoat for their lack of success).  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, time2rock said:

No doubt the defense is a major issue too.  Gym Shorts is in the final year of his deal ... it won’t surprise me in the least if they allow him to walk and keep everyone else (basically making him the most recent scapegoat for their lack of success).  

Honestly I wouldn't even care if it happened that way. I have wanted him gone since he got here. I am so sick and tired of seeing the db's play 10 yds off the receivers....I am sick of the wide nine....I am sick of everything gym shorts.....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, time2rock said:

If that happens, we may just become the Browns. :sad: 

10 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

No amount of creativity is gonna change the fact that Wentz is missing wide open targets, he can't even hit a screen pass on the money.

We get it already. You hate Wentz

49 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Watching the creativity of so many other offenses (KC, Seattle, Baltimore, NO, GB, Dallas, heck even Buffalo and Arizona, and others), I really have become to think we need to move on from Doug.  The "emotional intelligence” he brings is great when it comes to getting players to buy in, but it sure would help if they had a really good system in which to buy in.  We haven’t had that on offense since that magical 2017 season - the offense has been stagnant and completely uncreative since then.  The defense hasn’t been stellar either but this is an offense-oriented era and ours hasn’t been anywhere near good enough to compete with the top dogs the past few years.  

I keep saying it: 25 new offensive coordinators- and the team is WORSE for it. They are doing a "76ers" with too many chiefs and no accountability. I think they may have pissed Doug off after embarrassing him last year, pissed Wentz off with he Hurts pick and pissed God knows who else off with 25 offensive coordinators hired, who are probably arguing with each other about who is REALLY in charge every week. This is what happens when the owner and GM start meddling with things they shouldn't be meddling with. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

If that happens, we may just become the Browns. :sad: 

Depends on who they would hire.  Unfortunately I don’t trust either a Howie or a Doug to make a solid hire.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Depends on who they would hire.  Unfortunately I don’t trust either a Howie or a Doug to make a solid hire.  

Ditto. 

I used to feel bad for what McNabb had to throw to, then the last two seasons happened.  Wentz has no chance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D-Shiznit said:

But but but oline injuries and such is causing him to miss guys 5 yards next to him wide open!

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Frank Reich was the master mind...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NOTW said:

4gmmd3.jpg

1st- this is really a great post. Second... this time the critics are RIGHT. Actually IT'S THE WHOLE DAMN ORGANIZATION, because the owner and front office pulled a 76er's on us.

First things first. You gotta have players to be creative with. Get players who can do a lot of different things consistently. Then draw up the fun stuff.

This is sort of what I was saying our offensive concepts and route combination are so stale.  Nobody is running wide open unless their is a mistake by the defense.  Watching other teams it is rare that the QB has to hold the ball because everyone is covered.  Someone is always open just a matter of the QB finding them.  

Because we have so few oppurtunties it really hurts when Wentz misses 1 or 2 of those chances we get a game.  Every QB misses open recievers multiple times a game but Wentz hurt more because we don't have as many of those open oppurtunities as other teams around the league. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, EagleMatt said:

But but but oline injuries and such is causing him to miss guys 5 yards next to him wide open!

No it must be because we hate him! What other reason could there possibly be for an NFL QB to miss high school level throws???

1 hour ago, Talonblood said:

I keep saying it: 25 new offensive coordinators- and the team is WORSE for it. They are doing a "76ers" with too many chiefs and no accountability. I think they may have pissed Doug off after embarrassing him last year, pissed Wentz off with he Hurts pick and pissed God knows who else off with 25 offensive coordinators hired, who are probably arguing with each other about who is REALLY in charge every week. This is what happens when the owner and GM start meddling with things they shouldn't be meddling with. 

Doug Pederson - Head Coach and play caller on game days

Duce Staley - Asst. Head Coach/RB Coach

Rich Scangarello - Senior Offensive Asst.

Jeff Stoutland - OL Coach/Run Game Coordinator

Press Taylor - Passing Game Coordinator/QB Coach

Justin Peelle - TE Coach

Aaron Moorehead - WR Coach

Marty Mornhinweg - Senior Offensive Consultant

TJ Paganetti - Asst. Run Game Coordinator/Asst. RB Coach

Andrew Breiner - Pass Game Analyst

Mike Bartrum - Asst. TE Coach

Matthew Harper - Asst. WR Coach

Roy Istvan - Asst. OL Coach

That's all the Eagles coaches on O.  I think the issue is the 2 bolded, where normally it would be 1 OC instead of whatever their titles mean.  And from the speculation of the beat writers it seems Duce also has input in some capacity as part of the OC 'team' and how knows how much input Taylor has.  

For 2016 and 2017 I do think Doug called the plays as he stated he would in his first PC as HC.  I also believe Reich was the one who designed the O and the plays so Doug had a cache of really good, creative and well designed plays to choose from on game days where now he has mundane mediocre plays to choose from.  I don't think Doug's strength is as a play designer like Reich was and he needs that other component to make his job easier.  Without it he's shown he's lost in the woods.  This experiment of multiple O coaches collaborating isn't working.  Yes, Wentz has missed plays and we're back to having Ward as our most dependable WR, but maybe one of the reasons Wentz plays like his head is about to explode is because he has too many coaches in his ear telling him to do too many things too differently?  Are they all on the same page with how the O is supposed to work?  Somehow I doubt it.  They need one OC who can design creative attacking O plays who can work well with Wentz and Doug.  Until that happens I don't think this will get any better.

• Like 3

Can’t polish a turd.  Is a new HC/OC really going to have more success if Greg Ward is the team’s best WR?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FitzIsAtTheAirport said:

Can’t polish a turd.  Is a new HC/OC really going to have more success if Greg Ward is the team’s best WR?

If we had a capable gm that didn't pass on guys like Metkalf and Justin Jefferson that wouldn't be an issue... God I can't stand Roseman... Good thing we drafted a qb in round 2 this year also 

There is a Hightower video by Breaking the Birds on YouTube that shows how Wentz isn't seeing the field. Hightower is open at least 3 times (not including his drop) against Washington and Wentz isn't getting through progressions. And, this is only Hightower. I think Wentz isn't diagnosing and his mechanics are bad to top it off.

• Sad 1