Our Offense SUCKS ... and It’s Not Just Wentz

time2rock

9 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Correct.  I see no way that your projected outcome occurs without complete and utter failure this year AND next.  Lurie has shown to be a intelligent, patient, and loyal man (unlike most of this board) and that has led to years of NFL success.  

Then this team is set for a good few years of struggle. Because Howie is not the man to turn things around. 

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Then this team is set for a good few years of struggle. Because Howie is not the man to turn things around. 

We are likely going to have that with or without Howie.  Just a short time ago, everyone was high fiving the guy for moving back out of the basement to the pinaccle of sports.  No one questioned his ability then.  Shows what a fickle fanbase that we can be.   I don't see Lurie flailing like that.

43 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

We are likely going to have that with or without Howie.  Just a short time ago, everyone was high fiving the guy for moving back out of the basement to the pinaccle of sports.  No one questioned his ability then.  Shows what a fickle fanbase that we can be.   I don't see Lurie flailing like that.

But with Howie it'll be a longer process... Because he'll make bad draft choices and that will continue to happen whilst he's here. 

40 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I think people were happy Chip was gone, but very few were excited to go right back to Howie. Even Lurie had enough intelligence to put a condition on Howie’s reinstatement saying he needed to bring in another personnel guy, which he did with Douglas. He turned out to be a flop, and now we seem to be right back here with Howie having full control. We get very little from the draft, our cap position is deteriorating, very few, if any high impact players, and very little, if any real development of the few good players we have. 

If Lurie doesn’t take recognition of this, and quickly, we are quickly going to be competing with the likes of the Jets, Jaguars, Giants and similar bottom feeders for top 5 picks in the draft. 

1 hour ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

But his overall body of work suggests that he's actually not a good GM.

He hit on moves that off season but overall he hasn't done a good job of managing this roster. There are too many ageing guys on big contracts. Too many guys in good contacts that aren't worth it. 

The depth isn't good and yet we cut excuses due to injuries. What excuses are the Niners using? They are without even more key players and yet they handled business against NY. Now OK NY aren't good. Guess what? Neither are Washington or Cincinnati. 

Howie isn't a good GM. The thing people keep lauding him for is the cap. What a nice mess that is next year. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But his overall body of work suggests that he's actually not a good GM.

He hit on moves that off season but overall he hasn't done a good job of managing this roster. There are too many ageing guys on big contracts. Too many guys in good contacts that aren't worth it. 

The depth isn't good and yet we cut excuses due to injuries. What excuses are the Niners using? They are without even more key players and yet they handled business against NY. Now OK NY aren't good. Guess what? Neither are Washington or Cincinnati. 

Howie isn't a good GM. The thing people keep lauding him for is the cap. What a nice mess that is next year. 

WOW! You felt strongly enough to respond twice to the same comment, Fish and Chips!

I'm fine with firing him for the benefit of the lesson....then we can find out....I just don't see Lurie falling for that plan.

21 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

WOW! You felt strongly enough to respond twice to the same comment, Fish and Chips!

I'm fine with firing him for the benefit of the lesson....then we can find out....I just don't see Lurie falling for that plan.

I don't think he will either but that's a major issue for us as a franchise. 

19 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I don't think he will either but that's a major issue for us as a franchise. 

Maybe.  We assume he has complete autonomy.  From hearing Lurie spout "collaboration" so much, I doubt that is the case.

8 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Maybe.  We assume he has complete autonomy.  From hearing Lurie spout "collaboration" so much, I doubt that is the case.

Well... Things need to be blown up and restarted. That's my opinion anyway. 

17 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I know people get scared when you start talking about "blowing it up" and "starting over" ... thank goodness we didn't let the last mistake (Chip) linger longer than it did.  Before that, we probably should have let Reid walk earlier than we did but it was hard because of the success he had earlier in his tenure (plus he was extremely likeable, unlike Chip) but his time had surely come.  Chip also represents the need to make sure you make the right hire.  They did well when they hired Doug but perhaps his time has come too.  He had a strong staff initially (although I've always believed he didn't assemble it by himself ... I think some of the coaches like Reich and Schwartz were either made for him or strongly encouraged) and like Reid, in time due to attrition with coaches leaving to take other positions and not filling those spots with the right people, the staff isn't as strong (Doug is a HC that needs a strong supporting cast around him to be successful).  He crapped the bed when Reich walked and, rather than hiring a proven veteran OC (perhaps his pool of candidates were limited because he didn't want to relinquish play-calling duties) he promoted Groh.  We ALL knew it was a huge mistake to do so.  I suppose it is too early to make a judgement on the latest structure with the hires of Mornhinweg and Scangarello (among others) but early read is, it isn't working.  

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So, what it Jeff Lurie is deeply involved (like I assume he is)?  Is it time for him to go, too?

1 minute ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

So, what it Jeff Lurie is deeply involved (like I assume he is)?  Is it time for him to go, too?

Well the clear answer to that is... Yes. But the reality is that he won't and that's a bigger and trickier thing to do of course. 

28 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Well the clear answer to that is... Yes. But the reality is that he won't and that's a bigger and trickier thing to do of course. 

WOW!  Your reality about the NFL is drastically different than mine and that's fine.  I remember the Norman Braman era and part of the Leonard Tose ownership.  Trust me.  An ownership change doesn't mean all is righted that some on here think is wrong.  We have it pretty damn good as Eagles fans.  We are spoiled as an overall fanbase.

My worst NFL fear is that we become the Daniel Snyder Redskins post Jack Kent Cooke.  He ruined a proud franchise.  You'd be completely unhinged, if that happened.

44 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Lurie is a tremendous owner.  There have been some changes made to the organization under his ownership, mostly with HC hires (Rhodes, Reid, Kelly, Pederson) - even less changes at GM (Modrak, Reid (Heckert but face it, Reid had personnel authority), and Roseman (Kelly for one year following the power struggle that led to him getting kicked to the curb).  Howie has been making a mess of our drafts for a good part of the past 10 years.  Lurie doesn't need to go but the next "clean house" movement should absolutely involve Howie getting the boot.      

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Howie has been making a mess of our drafts for a good part of the past 10 years.  Lurie doesn't need to go but the next "clean house" movement should absolutely involve Howie getting the boot.      

Oh I agree Lurie doesn't need to go. I'm not trying to suggest he does. But he does need to get rid of Howie. 

• Like 1

My biggest question coming off the 2017 season:

If the Colts hired Reich before the DeFilippo was hired do you think Doug would have given DeFilippo the OC job?  And would that have been better for the development of Wentz and the offense? 

52 minutes ago, phil77 said:

My biggest question coming off the 2017 season:

If the Colts hired Reich before the DeFilippo was hired do you think Doug would have given DeFilippo the OC job?  And would that have been better for the development of Wentz and the offense? 

Probably and probably. 

4 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Probably and probably. 

Dang Vikings.  Didnt they fire Flip midway through his first season as OC.  if Doug was smart he should have hired him straight away

18 minutes ago, manz2821 said:

Dang Vikings.  Didnt they fire Flip midway through his first season as OC.  if Doug was smart he should have hired him straight away

Yeah they did.

38 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Yeah they did.

Makes ya wonder what our 2018, 2019, and start of 2020 seasons would have been like had only Reich left, with Flip staying on as OC and continuing his work with Wentz.  F U Zimmerman!  And while we’re at it, F U McDaniels!  

• Like 1

Yes our offense isn’t good, but it starts from the players selected. They just aren’t talented enough and despite the speed they lack playmakers. On top of that they invested a ton of money in an ailing older offensive line and an inaccurate quarterback who thinks he’s better than he really is. On top of this they have a yes man head coach who is clinging to the only piece of power he truly has in the organization and that’s his ability to call plays. The Eagles as a whole are a complete mess right now and changes have to be made. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Yes our offense isn’t good, but it starts from the players selected. They just aren’t talented enough and despite the speed they lack playmakers. On top of that they invested a ton of money in an ailing older offensive line and an inaccurate quarterback who thinks he’s better than he really is. On top of this they have a yes man head coach who is clinging to the only piece of power he truly has in the organization and that’s his ability to call plays. The Eagles as a whole are a complete mess right now and changes have to be made. 

And also something which I hadn't appreciated but heard this week... They brought in / drafted both Herbig and Pryor. Both it seems are decent lineman and pretty good back ups... But they are big dudes and not the most athletic. Doesn't exactly fit with the scheme and what this team likes to do with the OL. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And also something which I hadn't appreciated but heard this week... They brought in / drafted both Herbig and Pryor. Both it seems are decent lineman and pretty good back ups... But they are big dudes and not the most athletic. Doesn't exactly fit with the scheme and what this team likes to do with the OL. 

For as many screens as this team likes to run you wold think they would go after more athletic offensive lineman. They also like to run a lot of trap blocks. Versatility and athleticism would be more operable. This is the downside to not allowing the HC more input in player personnel. 

• Like 3