Our Offense SUCKS ... and It’s Not Just Wentz

time2rock

On 9/29/2020 at 7:09 PM, time2rock said:

People just love to downplay just how important Flip and Reich were to this organization.  Not only were they both integral parts in working with Doug to come up with a really good game plan each week and coming up with some really creative play design ideas together but I firmly believe those 2 were more instrumental in Wentz’s early development than anyone else.  Wentz was yet an "unfinished product” when they left after his 2nd year and quite honestly (judging by results) Press Taylor doesn’t appear to be anywhere near the level of experience to offer the help Wentz needs to get his career back on track.  Taylor as a QB coach is the same as having Groh as OC.  I swear Doug’s ability to assemble a competent staff is as bad as Andy’s was toward the end of his tenure here.  They both had strong initial staffs that went downhill in time ... Doug’s just went south much quicker.  The whole new offensive staff he assembled is a complete joke.  (Tangent:  just hire a f***** competent OC already and relinquish play-calling duties because Doug you SUCK at it as you’ve pretty much demonstrated over the past 2 years!!).  

Apologies for quoting my own post here, but this piece posted on PTF earlier this morning where they interviewed Foles, he states Reich (not Doug) was the one responsible for adjusting the offense around his strengths when Wentz went down.  I think many of us had already assumed that but had no real proof to back up our suspicions.  Have to further assume that Reich (and Flip) had the most to do with developing Wentz, and their departure more than anything has led to Wentz's regression.  

EDIT: it would help if I added the link (DOH!)

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/10/01/nick-foles-credits-frank-reich-for-his-super-bowl-mvp-success/

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Apologies for quoting my own post here, but this piece posted on PTF earlier this morning where they interviewed Foles, he states Reich (not Doug) was the one responsible for adjusting the offense around his strengths when Wentz went down.  I think many of us had already assumed that but had no real proof to back up our suspicions.  Have to further assume that Reich (and Flip) had the most to do with developing Wentz, and their departure more than anything has led to Wentz's regression.  

I heard about that interview, and that’s some damning evidence against Doug and Taylor as to why Carson is regressing. One certainly has to start to believe Reich had a lot more to do with the success of this team than we realized, but Doug has led this team to the playoffs twice after Reich left, and he did it with substandard coaches, and players. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

I heard about that interview, and that’s some damning evidence against Doug and Taylor as to why Carson is regressing. One certainly has to start to believe Reich had a lot more to do with the success of this team than we realized, but Doug has led this team to the playoffs twice after Reich left, and he did it with substandard coaches, and players. 

I think a lot of that can be attributed to a couple things. In part to a bad division and a Vikings collapse, but also, to Doug’s credit, he’s allowed and recommended players let their personalities shine and just be themselves. It helps a great deal and makes players want to fight for you if you treat them like grown men. That said, that will only last so long if Doug doesn’t show to having the coaching prowess to go along with that. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Was it Doug that made us to the playoffs in 2018-2019 or just the luck of a few teams losing at the right time and an extremely bad div? I personally didnt see anything magical by the coaching staff in those years that stood out to push us to the playoffs so I'm going with the other version. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I think a lot of that can be attributed to a couple things. In part to a bad division and a Vikings collapse, but also, to Doug’s credit, he’s allowed and recommended players let their personalities shine and just be themselves. It helps a great deal and makes players want to fight for you if you treat them like grown men. That said, that will only last so long if Doug doesn’t show to having the coaching prowess to go along with that. 

It’s been a while since I felt like the Eagles offense seemed innovative. I don’t know how much of that we can attribute to Doug or to his coordinators. I believe there’s a collaborative effort going on, but something is amiss. I personally think the problem is more related to player personnel choices rather to coaching. I mean you can want to call a lot of screens, and misdirection plays, but if you do not have the players to call it then how can you? You can want to target to the receivers over twenty times a game, but if JJAW is one of your leading options how can you? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Was it Doug that made us to the playoffs in 2018-2019 or just the luck of a few teams losing at the right time and an extremely bad div? I personally didnt see anything magical by the coaching staff in those years that stood out to push us to the playoffs so I'm going with the other version. 

The Eagles were 5-6 in 2018 and not only did they make it to the playoff they won a game. In 2019 they put up a strong fight in the playoffs despite losing their Starting quarterback and their backup was playing with a torn hamstring. I mean it’s not like the Eagles had a lot to work with player wise in 18 and 19 due to injuries. 

17 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

It’s been a while since I felt like the Eagles offense seemed innovative. I don’t know how much of that we can attribute to Doug or to his coordinators. I believe there’s a collaborative effort going on, but something is amiss. I personally think the problem is more related to player personnel choices rather to coaching. I mean you can want to call a lot of screens, and misdirection plays, but if you do not have the players to call it then how can you? You can want to target to the receivers Over twenty times a game, but if JJAW is one of your leading options how can you? 

There’s no doubt Lurie’s loyalty to Howie is our number one problem. I made this comment in 411 a little while ago. Until Howie is replaced, any other changes made are simply painting over rust. 

• Like 1

On 9/29/2020 at 6:09 PM, time2rock said:

People just love to downplay just how important Flip and Reich were to this organization.  Not only were they both integral parts in working with Doug to come up with a really good game plan each week and coming up with some really creative play design ideas together but I firmly believe those 2 were more instrumental in Wentz’s early development than anyone else.  Wentz was yet an "unfinished product” when they left after his 2nd year and quite honestly (judging by results) Press Taylor doesn’t appear to be anywhere near the level of experience to offer the help Wentz needs to get his career back on track.  Taylor as a QB coach is the same as having Groh as OC.  I swear Doug’s ability to assemble a competent staff is as bad as Andy’s was toward the end of his tenure here.  They both had strong initial staffs that went downhill in time ... Doug’s just went south much quicker.  The whole new offensive staff he assembled is a complete joke.  (Tangent:  just hire a f***** competent OC already and relinquish play-calling duties because Doug you SUCK at it as you’ve pretty much demonstrated over the past 2 years!!).  

If I could double "like" this I would.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The Eagles were 5-6 in 2018 and not only did they make it to the playoff they won a game. In 2019 they put up a strong fight in the playoffs despite losing their Starting quarterback and their backup was playing with a torn hamstring. I mean it’s not like the Eagles had a lot to work with player wise in 18 and 19 due to injuries. 

Like Reid's early years, we benefitted greatly from a sucko division. It's still there for the taking if any of the teams were any good.

54 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

No doubt Doug does a really good job getting players to buy in and remain competitive even when things aren't going well (although I do figure eventually if things continue to go south that his message will no longer get through like it does now), but making adjustments (and quite possibly player development) doesn't seem to be his strength.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

For as many screens as this team likes to run you wold think they would go after more athletic offensive lineman. They also like to run a lot of trap blocks. Versatility and athleticism would be more operable. This is the downside to not allowing the HC more input in player personnel. 

Well I think they do want athletic offensive lineman and that always seems to have been the approach... But the Pryor and Herbig picks are a little baffling in that sense! Doesn't seem to fit the scheme.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Well I think they do want athletic offensive lineman and that always seems to have been the approach... But the Pryor and Herbig picks are a little baffling in that sense! Doesn't seem to fit the scheme.

Howie gems for sure. He knows what’s best for this team.