Barnett is far from a bust.

ManchesterEagle

Derek Barnett has taken a lot of abuse on these boards. He hasn't lived up yet to his mid-round first pick. He has also committed some costly penalties.

But he was good in his rookie season and after that he's been struggling with injuries. But he can play when he's healthy. One of his better games yesterday - gave Trent Williams fits at times.

He has some upside - could be Brandon Graham 2.0 - just needs to stay healthy and hopefully he agrees to a reasonable contract.

• Like 3

I didn't watch him all that closely, but good to hear.

Josh Sweat also beat Trent Williams pretty badly!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Avery showed up as well.

The D-Line finally looked like it was supposed to last night. We will need it to dominate though, because the back 7 is pretty bad.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Barnett was beating Williams just as bad. 

6 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Derek Barnett has taken a lot of abuse on these boards. He hasn't lived up yet to his mid-round first pick. He has also committed some costly penalties.

But he was good in his rookie season and after that he's been struggling with injuries. But he can play when he's healthy. One of his better games yesterday - gave Trent Williams fits at times.

He has some upside - could be Brandon Graham 2.0 - just needs to stay healthy and hopefully he agrees to a reasonable contract.

He wasn't good in his rookie season.  Or ever.  But he was good last night. 

• Like 3

Just now, ManchesterEagle said:

Avery showed up as well.

The D-Line finally looked like it was supposed to last night. We will need it to dominate though, because the back 7 is pretty bad.

Hopefully they just keep Mills at CB. I really don’t like him, and don’t think he should start in a good secondary but... the rest of the bunch are even worse. I think Mills-McLeod-Wallace-Slay is the best option, then LeBlanc in the slot. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, nipples said:

Hopefully they just keep Mills at CB. I really don’t like him, and don’t think he should start in a good secondary but... the rest of the bunch are even worse. I think Mills-McLeod-Wallace-Slay is the best option, then LeBlanc in the slot. 

Yeah agreed. And let Parks mix in when he is healthy. To be honest, the linebackers are so bad, we may as well have one of our less than stellar safeties playing in the box on the basis that they might be able to cover at least a fat running back.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Yeah agreed. And let Parks mix in when he is healthy. To be honest, the linebackers are so bad, we may as well have one of our less than stellar safeties playing in the box on the basis that they might be able to cover at least a fat running back.

Speaking of linebackers, Singleton needs to see the field more.  Not just because of the pick 6, but even before that I had commented that he was having a good game, really filling well stopping the run. 

• Like 4

He’s not a bust, sure. There’s some talent there...but reality is Trent Williams is a shell of himself. Barnett had a sack last week and I looked up and he was matched up against some 2nd string bengals TE... when barnett is asked to rush the passer against average tackles he’s invisible. 

As you mentioned, he just may need more time to develop and accept a reasonable contract...if not ....goodbye 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

He wasn't good in his rookie season.  Or ever.  But he was good last night. 

Id disagree, he was pretty solid his rookie year in a backup role. A lot forget he was not a starter is rookie year. His numbers were actually in line with Grahams last 5 years avg. Barnett's issue has been more health then play. Its not just about sacks, hes a solid run defender. Hes actually has had a better career then Graham did when he started out. And Derek played less games then Graham did in his first 4 years. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Both tackles for the 49ers got owned in this game. Someone posted Avery had 5 quarterback hits. Our defensive line was good against the pass overall. 

Lol if you believed so much in him, why wait until this game to make this topic? 

He did look good tonight but can he keep doing it?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Id disagree, he was pretty solid his rookie year in a backup role. A lot forget he was not a starter is rookie year. His numbers were actually in line with Grahams last 5 years avg. Barnett's issue has been more health then play. Its not just about sacks, hes a solid run defender. Hes actually has had a better career then Graham did when he started out. And Derek played less games then Graham did in his first 4 years. 

Nah. Not good.  His problem has been that he hasn't been strong enough.  Abs not athletic enough.  And doesn't play contain.  And gets stupid penalties. 

But he was good last night. 

• Like 1

Barnett has shown ability throughout his career. It's been consistency and injury keeping him from reaching greater heights. Derek also needs to add to his pass rushing repertoire. 

• Like 1

He just needs to not have dumbarse penalties. Jumping offsides, unnecessary roughness penalties, etc. cheating down the line only to have the offense run the ball wide his side. Play discipline football. Stay healthy. Those are keys for him. 

Hes getting 10 million next year so hopefully he shows potential and we can extend and Lowe his cap hit while not breaking the bank for him because of past failures. 

53 minutes ago, nipples said:

Agreed and other than the giant hurdle over him Epps has looked decent. Definitely a good third or fourth option. 

A 1st round pick finally has a good game after 3 years and all of a sudden it's like "suck it haters!"

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

gave Trent Williams fits at times.

Not sure I would call it a good game when you played average against an aging LT that sat out all of last year.

I don't know that Barnett will ever be a dominant pass rusher who routinely gets double digits sacks. In fact I doubt it. I still think he could be a solid DE moving forward for this team. People seem to forget he's only 24.

• Like 1

I have no issue with Barnett as such. 

I think given where we drafted him he has been a bit of a disappointment. I think you'd like more from your first round pick especially in the top half of the draft.

But he's fine. He's a solid #2. He's good against the run and he can get to the QB. 

If the team can bring him back on a fair #2 DE contract then they should. Something tells me he's going to want more though and if so then we should avoid. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

Not sure I would call it a good game when you played average against an aging LT that sat out all of last year.

I think that's harsh. Williams is still a legit LT and only just turned 32. His PFF rating was over 80 before this game and he'd only given up 1 sack, so it's not like he was being abused. Barnett played well.

11 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I think that's harsh. Williams is still a legit LT and only just turned 32. His PFF rating was over 80 before this game and he'd only given up 1 sack, so it's not like he was being abused. Barnett played well.

Gotcha, PFF rating over 80 against the Cardinals, Jets and Giants.

I'm not sure what you saw but he didn't standout to me last night.

34 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I have no issue with Barnett as such. 

I think given where we drafted him he has been a bit of a disappointment. I think you'd like more from your first round pick especially in the top half of the draft.

But he's fine. He's a solid #2. He's good against the run and he can get to the QB. 

If the team can bring him back on a fair #2 DE contract then they should. Something tells me he's going to want more though and if so then we should avoid. 

That's the key. I'd almost be tempted to try and get something done now. Risk/reward on both sides. If he has a couple of good healthy seasons he will be way overpaid due to recency bias. 

2 hours ago, Swoop said:

I don't know that Barnett will ever be a dominant pass rusher who routinely gets double digits sacks. In fact I doubt it. I still think he could be a solid DE moving forward for this team. People seem to forget he's only 24.

I think you're right about that.  Seems loads of people forget how young he still is.  He was only 20yo when drafted and turned 21 that Summer.  He's still 'growing into his body'.  Curious to see if he can stay healthy this season and if he does how he performs.  The hope is that he gets stronger now that he's coming into his physical prime and that he keeps adding moves to his pass rush repertoire and will be at least a consistent solid DE.  I can see him being in the BG mold, where he is solid, plays the run well, gets 6-8 sacks/season.  Solid yet unspectacular.  That's his ceiling to me until he can prove me wrong.

People throw around the bust label waaay too liberally.

He is not a bust. He is a solid starter but not a game changer / impact player. Yes that is short of expectations vs draft position but he still contributes and produces. To me, that is not ideal but something you can live with.

Someone like a JJAW on the other hand who just doesn’t belong on the field....that is a bust. Sidney Jones with his inability to stay on the field was a bust. Andre Dillard (based on poor play per Training Camp reports) may be headed that way as well but too early to say. Point is we have seen are fair share of busts recently to know Barnett is not one of them.

• Like 2