Is John Hightower the new Agholor?

Jenkins27

I think we all had high expectations for both 5th round and 6 round WRs for whatever reason lol. This team can barely draft good WRs in the 1st and 2nd round.

I still hope Reagor is a stud like I think he can be.

• Like 1

Yes Hightower has stunk it up but give him a chance. Once he settles in he might surprise you.

Agholor didn't want to play here. He was accustomed to the sunny weather and homer fan base of USC
and longed to get back to the left coast. Now that he's in sunny Vegas he'll thrive.

It’s too soon to tell I think but he’s certainly heading that way. He’s dropped at least 3 big passes so far this year, maybe more.

The drops are becoming a real issue so he's got to get working on that. 

He's a rookie though and a late round pick so there is hope that he can learn from this. He's certainly getting every opportunity to turn things around. 

• Like 1

Hightower can not catch with his hands, he is a body catcher. That was my issue with him when we drafted him. If you look at all his drops, hes tring to catch with his hands. The one catch he finally caught.........body catch.  He still needs a TON of work till he should be on the field. Watkins is  better hands catcher but his route running is very poor. At this point, you con;t have a choice but to play them with how decimated we are at wr and now even TE. We are just going to have to deal with the growing pains with this guys. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The drops are becoming a real issue so he's got to get working on that. 

He's a rookie though and a late round pick so there is hope that he can learn from this. He's certainly getting every opportunity to turn things around. 

Some receivers work out the drops in time ... other don't.  Obviously no one knows which path Hightower will take, but the play time should only help to expedite his development.  If the struggles cause him to lose confidence and they only get worse then he isn't wired to play at this level and at least we only blew a 5th rd pick on him.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, time2rock said:

Some receivers work out the drops in time ... other don't.  Obviously no one knows which path Hightower will take, but the play time should only help to expedite his development.  If the struggles cause him to lose confidence and they only get worse then he isn't wired to play at this level and at least we only blew a 5th rd pick on him.   

Absolutely. He needs more time and more snaps so the team can assess whether it is something he will be able to work out or not. I personally think it is something he will sort but that's just a pure guess. What I do like about him is that he is putting himself in positions to make plays. If he can sort the drops then there is potential there because he could have had a few more catches and a couple of TDs too.

On 10/18/2020 at 10:36 PM, Jenkins27 said:

image.png.b3caa8ba43b88327391b47c2d882fb51.png

image.png.ca554258c4c5b531bf0dce18d23b576a.png

Seeing Jimmy Smith gives me painful memories of that wretched 2011 Draft. 🤮🤮

Thought he was gonna be our pick

• Like 1

On 10/19/2020 at 12:34 AM, kentwo said:

Wasn't the knock on him coming into the NFL that he's not a natural catcher? 

If I recall, all three of the WRs weren't seen as having the best hands in the draft class. 

Hightower's draft report: 

"With that said, inconsistent ability to track the football and finish are concerning although he has some impressive grabs on tape."

"His hands are inconsistent, and he doesn't have the frame to consistently come down with 50-50 balls. "

Watkins's:

"He has good length and flashes the ability to snatch the ball of the air, but his hands are inconsistent."

"Ball awareness is poor within his route; often late to adjust or can't locate the pass."

"Doesn't love catching in traffic and won't sell out for passes."

good assessment -- the other thing I've noticed with him is that due to his slight frame DBs can knock him off his route very easily. I was at the Pittsburgh game and isolated watching him quite a bit and this happened to him more times than not, unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, hoosierdaddy said:

good assessment -- the other thing I've noticed with him is that due to his slight frame DBs can knock him off his route very easily. I was at the Pittsburgh game and isolated watching him quite a bit and this happened to him more times than not, unfortunately.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

Seeing Jimmy Smith gives me painful memories of that wretched 2011 Draft. 🤮🤮

Thought he was gonna be our pick

Thank God for Kelce ... the rest of that draft (other than perhaps Lewis) was historically bad.  

24 minutes ago, hoosierdaddy said:

yep -- he runs nice routes when he's untouched

If you have anything supporting your assessment, I'd like to see it. 

5th round pick, different story. But that doesnt mean I dont want to see a little bit of quez out there

Not for nothing, but the fact this kid keeps getting opportunities, but JJAW can’t beat him out on the depth chart tells you how bad JJAW really is.

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

Thank God for Kelce ... the rest of that draft (other than perhaps Lewis) was historically bad.  

Lewis wasn't ish till he left and I looked up that draft to confirm my memory that Smith went after our pick and I was wondering if we got anyone good till I was reminded of Kelce. The sad part is that isn't our only pitiful draft but I think that one takes the cake, at least in my memory

14 minutes ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

Lewis wasn't ish till he left and I looked up that draft to confirm my memory that Smith went after our pick and I was wondering if we got anyone good till I was reminded of Kelce. The sad part is that isn't our only pitiful draft but I think that one takes the cake, at least in my memory

looking back at that draft as a whole boy was it a stinker league wide. 

39 minutes ago, QBhunter58 said:

looking back at that draft as a whole boy was it a stinker league wide. 

Top of that draft might be the one of the best in recent memory. Cam, Von, Julio, AJ, JJ, P. Peterson...

3 minutes ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

Top of that draft might be the one of the best in recent memory. Cam, Von, Julio, AJ, JJ, P. Peterson...

True, the first round is pretty bonkers, and you have some true gamers later on like Houston and Sherman, but looking at rounds 2-7 its is pretty rough. 

2 hours ago, QBhunter58 said:

True, the first round is pretty bonkers, and you have some true gamers later on like Houston and Sherman, but looking at rounds 2-7 its is pretty rough. 

I wouldn't even say the whole first rd. I questioned even at the time picks like Jake Locker and Christian Ponder lol

But to your point scrolling thru the names there were only a handful of later rd guys I recognized

Hightower is 4th at best behind Reagor, Fulgham, and Ward when healthy. Aggy was drafted to be a starter.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

Hightower is 4th at best behind Reagor, Fulgham, and Ward when healthy. Aggy was drafted to be a starter.

Really fair point there. And as a #4 I think he's fine. He has made mistakes and he's had drops but he's also made some plays this year. I think that's encouraging. 

• Like 1