Is John Hightower the new Agholor?

Jenkins27

1 hour ago, eagle45 said:

Think of how bad Quez Watkins must be for him to get 0 snaps over Hightower.

honestly with this coaching staff I wouldnt put much into that. They are terrible at evaluating talent, and have a proclivity for starting some players over other because of draft round or history at the position. I have been a Quez fan for a while now and I dont see how he wouldnt do as well as (or better than) hightower if given a shot. honestly, at the end of the day we are talking about 5th and 6th round picks. Any production out of these guys is a bonus.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I don't think you can put Hightower on Howie. He's a fifth round pick. Very few receivers turn into useful players in the lower rounds. He is very flawed but so he should be - you don't get polished NFL ready receivers in the late rounds. He has speed which is something. He needs to not play much and hopefully he develops over the next couple of years.

Where did I say anything about Howie?  Oh right, I didn't.

No, this one is on Doug for putting him on the field as much as he does. 

BTW, you guys need to stop talking about Hightower's speed, 4.43 speed is noting to write home about for a WR.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EagleVA said:

BTW, you guys need to stop talking about Hightower's speed, 4.43 speed is noting to write home about for a WR.  

It's nothing to be ashamed of. The most important part is how it translates on the football field. 12 lbs was the difference between Reagor running a 4.47 and a 4.28. 

Hightower has shown the ability to repeatedly get behind defenders, even some of the better CBs in the NFL. The speed is there on the field and it translates into an advantage in a lot of his routes.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

It's nothing to be ashamed of. The most important part is how it translates on the football field. 12 lbs was the difference between Reagor running a 4.47 and a 4.28. 

Hightower has shown the ability to repeatedly get behind defenders, even some of the better CBs in the NFL. The speed is there on the field and it translates into an advantage in a lot of his routes.

Getting behind defenders is a tricky one, sometimes it was because of the WR, other times it's because the defenders blew their coverages.

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

I agree with your premise, but can we please treating using pro day 40 times like they are scripture. He was faster at the pro day, lets just leave it at that. 

On 11/3/2020 at 8:21 PM, wyote said:

Not yet. Agholor was better and far more hated. 

Was he though? As a rookie? I don’t think so. Agholor’s rookie season he had 23 catches, for 283 yards. And that’s with being put into a day 1 starter role. Hightower is pacing for 18 catches, 332 yards, and has only been a starter for 4 games. 

22 minutes ago, nipples said:

Was he though? As a rookie? I don’t think so. Agholor’s rookie season he had 23 catches, for 283 yards. And that’s with being put into a day 1 starter role. Hightower is pacing for 18 catches, 332 yards, and has only been a starter for 4 games. 

I don't remember his rookie year, so I'll just assume you're using the stats fairly and all that. If Hightower turns out to be better than Agholor, that would be great news. 

Agholor is the right comparison for Hightower.

Thats both a credit and a criticism of Hightower.  He’s a 5th round pick and is comparable, in many ways, to someone we (reached) drafted in the first round.

Hightower has better deep speed than Agholor, less short area quickness/burst. 

Thats where the differences end.  They are both rail thin and non physical.  Both are body catchers, can’t track a deep ball, and responded to the nfl like deer in headlights early in their careers...but did demonstrate an ability to separate.

Hightower really is playing poorly...but he also doesn’t have the pressure of being a first round pick, which ultimately drove Agholor insane and out of town.  They can keep him around and get what they get from him.

The way Agholor's playing right now (heck even Mack Hollins caught a touchdown) maybe it's time to think the problem isn't the receivers, but the guy throwing them the ball. 

• Like 1

Because he was a 1st round pick and sucked most of the time.  If he were a 4th, 5th, 6th round pick nobody would care.

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

The way Agholor's playing right now (heck even Mack Hollins caught a touchdown) maybe it's time to think the problem isn't the receivers, but the guy throwing them the ball. 

That was Hollins first catch of the year I believe.  TD or not he still blows.

• Haha 1

No one should hate Agholor. He’s an Eagle Champion and showed up big in the Super Bowl. And even when that fan hysterically called him out over drops he responded with class. All the best to him. Glad he’s finding his way again.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 315Eagles said:

That was Hollins first catch of the year I believe.  TD or not he still blows.

Agreed on Hollins, but some of the stuff Agholor is doing right now is a little eye opening. 

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Agreed on Hollins, but some of the stuff Agholor is doing right now is a little eye opening. 

The TD catch I saw him make Sunday was basically a perfect example of the thing everyone in here was convinced he was terrible at, not only that we've been apparently been crying out for a deep threat the entire time he was here and yet in Vegas Agholor now has 17 catches at an average of a shade over 20 yards a pop, with 3 catches over 40 yards (ie 'balls he can't track'), and 5 TDs through 8 games

I mean something is amiss in Philly.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

For sure....he did have 2 good/solid years here.  I havent watched LV much but I wonder if drops are still an issue.  The talent was always there with him but something was missing upstairs.

9 hours ago, 315Eagles said:

For sure....he did have 2 good/solid years here.  I havent watched LV much but I wonder if drops are still an issue.  The talent was always there with him but something was missing upstairs.

The drops are virtually gone and he’s leading the league in YPC and he’s getting a lot of first downs. He’s on pace for double digit touchdowns and they barely used him early. 

9 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The drops are virtually gone and he’s leading the league in YPC and he’s getting a lot of first downs. He’s on pace for double digit touchdowns and they barely used him early. 

I'm not sure then.  I dont think it was Wentz as he put some nice passes right on his hands and he flat out dropped them.

Agholor had his best year when Groh was the WR coach.  Coaching WRs is something Groh was actually known for and good at.

If anything his poor play here was probably from pressure by the Philly fans and media and coaching.

1 hour ago, 315Eagles said:

I'm not sure then.  I dont think it was Wentz as he put some nice passes right on his hands and he flat out dropped them.

Agholor had his best year when Groh was the WR coach.  Coaching WRs is something Groh was actually known for and good at.

If anything his poor play here was probably from pressure by the Philly fans and media and coaching.

I think Nelson was given a lot of slack the first few years. yea he took a little but I think it wasn't till year 4/5 that he started taking the major heat. I think it was all in his head. He had the ability just couldn't get it here. Sadly we keep him here one year longer then we should have and lost out on a really good WR to keep Nelson that one year. 

3 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

I think Nelson was given a lot of slack the first few years. yea he took a little but I think it wasn't till year 4/5 that he started taking the major heat. I think it was all in his head. He had the ability just couldn't get it here. Sadly we keep him here one year longer then we should have and lost out on a really good WR to keep Nelson that one year. 

I think it was year 2 that he took a lot of heat. It was year 2 that he was benched wasn't it? It was year 3 that he help us win the SB and in Year 4 i think he actually played fairly well but I think some of those drops returned.

On 11/10/2020 at 3:20 PM, Runtherock said:

No one should hate Agholor. He’s an Eagle Champion and showed up big in the Super Bowl. And even when that fan hysterically called him out over drops he responded with class. All the best to him. Glad he’s finding his way again.

He does seem like a good guy, so I hope life works out for him. 

As a football player, I only cared when he was an Eagle. Now that he's gone, whatever. 

On 11/10/2020 at 2:25 AM, Cochis_Calhoun said:

The TD catch I saw him make Sunday was basically a perfect example of the thing everyone in here was convinced he was terrible at, not only that we've been apparently been crying out for a deep threat the entire time he was here and yet in Vegas Agholor now has 17 catches at an average of a shade over 20 yards a pop, with 3 catches over 40 yards (ie 'balls he can't track'), and 5 TDs through 8 games

I mean something is amiss in Philly.

Every time he was asked to be that guy, out of necessity, he struggled here. In 2018, we brought in JMatt and Tate, 2 more slot guys and Agholor couldn't do anything to help outside the slot. In 2019, with Jackson gone and Jeffery struggling with injuries, he crumbled under the pressure of being the go to WR. He has had confidence issues off and on here and his last 2 years (here) didn't do anything to give anybody the impression he was "clutch."

I do think he was a good WR3, as long as WR1 and WR2 were playing. 

On 11/9/2020 at 7:54 PM, 315Eagles said:

Because he was a 1st round pick and sucked most of the time.  If he were a 4th, 5th, 6th round pick nobody would care.

Yet, here were are on page 5 discussing a 5th round pick and hating on him. This fanbase sometimes... lol.

27 minutes ago, Devaster said:

Yet, here were are on page 5 discussing a 5th round pick and hating on him. This fanbase sometimes... lol.

Yeah fans want instant production and most times it's not gonna happen.  Got to give these guys some time to get better.

• Like 1