Is John Hightower the new Agholor?

Jenkins27

14 hours ago, 315Eagles said:

Yeah fans want instant production and most times it's not gonna happen.  Got to give these guys some time to get better.

Agreed. And so far I think Hightower has shown enough and could be a decent long term #4 or #5. He can get in behind defenses and he has made plays. And he will improve.

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Agreed. And so far I think Hightower has shown enough and could be a decent long term #4 or #5. He can get in behind defenses and he has made plays. And he will improve.

Is there really a such thing as a long term #4/5? lol. Maybe jumping team to team but not on one team. Teams just dont hold onto those players long term. They move on to try another player out hoping for better. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

Is there really a such thing as a long term #4/5? lol. Maybe jumping team to team but not on one team. Teams just dont hold onto those players long term. They move on to try another player out hoping for better. 

I mean I guess? But you need consistency at the position and if he's decent but not lighting it up then he'll be cheap to retain. 

44 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I mean I guess? But you need consistency at the position and if he's decent but not lighting it up then he'll be cheap to retain. 

• Teams dont look at it that way. They would keep for a few years and move on hoping to draft or pick up a player for same money that could become a starter. Look at Fulgham. Perfect example. Teams just wont keep a guy they feel is a 4th/5th WR talent long term for cost. They know that player wont have a high ceiling after a few years and look tot he next player. You can find many of them guys. The risk losing them to find a better player is worth it to them. Those 4th/5th guys are ok on a rookie contract but done after a few years. Just how it works in the NFL. Few years, Yes. Long term, No. 
  • Like 1

On 10/19/2020 at 12:15 AM, CaliEagle said:

I'm not going to bury this kid this early.  The good news is he has the ability to get separation and the speed to be good.  When you think about many of the WRs that we have drafted in the mid to late rounds over the years, many of those guys couldn't get separation.  He has to get the drops corrected. Jerry Rice had the drops early in his career, too, even to the point where some thought he was going to be a bust.  And, Hightower is a 5th round pick.  He's going to have to get some more strength and get confidence.  The good news is he made the catch on the next one. Moorehead is going to have to coach this kid up hard.

True, but on the flip side, the league will also get tape on him and how to defend him.  So he needs to get stronger to beat some press coverage and keep his speed, or he needs slot ability to make short catches and utilize his speed,  but if he's all speed and a one trick pony, then he league will catch up unless he becomes sure handed and maintains his deep threat and catch ability