Jaycee Horn (South Carolina CB) -- DRAFTED BY CAROLINA #8

Ray75

A21168D6-A02E-40C7-9534-1AB1066B916E.jpeg

6.1 ft / 205 lbs

Son of former NO Saints WR Joe Horn.

Scouting report;

Man: Uses his hands well, he doesn’t infringe in the receiver’s route but uses them to preserve leverage. Got much better with his participation throughout the year, more and more he was staying in a good position. Holds the requisite long speed. Key-chain. Instant reaction time. Gets a little handy at the top of routes.

Zone: Really good eyes, keeps both the receiver and QB in his eyesight. Peels off and cuts off underneath routes adequately. Really good with his spacing understands his range. His ability to flip his hips allows him to makes plays he shouldn’t be making.

Ball Skills: Attacks the football in the air at its highest point. Dominant at the catch-point, he’s going to make you feel his presence. Let’s the receiver tell him when to look for the ball, keeps contact with the receiver. Would like to see more turnover created. 

Press: Excellent patience at the LOS, keeps his hips square, doesn’t over-anticipate. Keeps his leverage inside and forces the tough throws outside the numbers. Uses one hand to jam so his hips don’t lock up. 

Hips & Footwork: Quick trigger hips. Really nice backpedal, keeps his hips low and good bend in his knees. Oily hips, he can flip a 180 with ease. His feet work in unison with his upper half. Solid center-of-gravity. 

Off-Ball: Quite good in off-coverage, with his blend of anticipation and ability to click-n-close, he’s able to break-up underneath routes. Great with his catch technique and slowing the receiver down, his feet don’t quit. Takes good angles.

Mentality/Run Support: Plays his responsibility in the run game, forces it back into the middle of the field, not the most willing to be the first. Quite timid when it comes to making a play against the run. 

Projection; top 15

11 minutes ago, Godfather said:

If we get a high enough pick maybe he falls to the 2nd rd

Maybe but if he keeps playing like he did last saturday, he’ll likely wind up a top 20-25 pick.

• 2 months later...

I really like this corner. If we can get another 1st through a trade, I would target him in the late 1st. 

I like Farley-dude was clocked at 24 mph. The need for speed is evident on this defense

On 10/21/2020 at 9:26 AM, Ray75 said:

A21168D6-A02E-40C7-9534-1AB1066B916E.jpeg

6.1 ft / 205 lbs

Son of former NO Saints WR Joe Horn.

Scouting report;

Man: Uses his hands well, he doesn’t infringe in the receiver’s route but uses them to preserve leverage. Got much better with his participation throughout the year, more and more he was staying in a good position. Holds the requisite long speed. Key-chain. Instant reaction time. Gets a little handy at the top of routes.

Zone: Really good eyes, keeps both the receiver and QB in his eyesight. Peels off and cuts off underneath routes adequately. Really good with his spacing understands his range. His ability to flip his hips allows him to makes plays he shouldn’t be making.

Ball Skills: Attacks the football in the air at its highest point. Dominant at the catch-point, he’s going to make you feel his presence. Let’s the receiver tell him when to look for the ball, keeps contact with the receiver. Would like to see more turnover created. 

Press: Excellent patience at the LOS, keeps his hips square, doesn’t over-anticipate. Keeps his leverage inside and forces the tough throws outside the numbers. Uses one hand to jam so his hips don’t lock up. 

Hips & Footwork: Quick trigger hips. Really nice backpedal, keeps his hips low and good bend in his knees. Oily hips, he can flip a 180 with ease. His feet work in unison with his upper half. Solid center-of-gravity. 

Off-Ball: Quite good in off-coverage, with his blend of anticipation and ability to click-n-close, he’s able to break-up underneath routes. Great with his catch technique and slowing the receiver down, his feet don’t quit. Takes good angles.

Mentality/Run Support: Plays his responsibility in the run game, forces it back into the middle of the field, not the most willing to be the first. Quite timid when it comes to making a play against the run. 

Projection; mid to late first round

His cell phone skills are also good so he should answer immediately on draft day.

f5894f1774f101c8f72e8007af55149d_400x400.jpeg

• Haha 4

Pretty interesting we have multiple highly rated CBs with NFL bloodlines (multiple time Pro Bowlers too) expected to be drafted in the first 2 rounds. I know it's not a guarantee they play at the same exact level, but it certainly helps:

Patrick Surtain II, Jaycee Horn, Asante Samuel Jr.

The Eagles are in good position to draft one (or even two) of these guys to shore up our CB situation.

Caleb Farley is the other big name CB prospect mocked in the early 1st round.  While his athleticism is intriguing, the fact that he's relatively new to the position (converted WR to CB his sophomore year) and had a season ending knee injury in his freshman year, I would probably prefer Surtain if we're picking a CB in the top 10.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I don’t think his backpedal is that great. He needs to work on his technique. Other than that, athleticism looks good as well as his football IQ. I wouldn’t mind in 2nd if he is there

• 1 month later...

Horn might be a Plan B, but trading back certainly has some advantages.

795CAE1F-B8B4-4B68-B9B4-0BE417178A75.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

South Carolina corner Jaycee Horn has a meeting scheduled with the Eagles per Ed Kratz.

LOL out of reach at 37. I wont be surprised if he is the 2nd CB taken with these numbers.

His athletic ability and physically alone will get him in the 1st round. Technique can be improved with the right coaching. He is going to be a stud if used correctly

• Like 1

On 3/24/2021 at 10:50 PM, philafan4o8 said:

LOL out of reach at 37. I wont be surprised if he is the 2nd CB taken with these numbers.

His athletic ability and physically alone will get him in the 1st round. Technique can be improved with the right coaching. He is going to be a stud if used correctly

Indeed and we can’t count it out he’s on the Eagles short list at #6. I’m not saying they should flat out take him there but with no cap space and the CB market drying up, it wouldn’t surprise me if the Eagles trade down a couple of spots and for the first time in two decades select a corner in the first.

For all we know Sirianni might like our WR core more than we fans do. If they are such good talent developers at the position, they just might think we have enough there. The majority of those kids are young and entering their 2nd season in the NFL. It might be too soon to give up on Fulgham, Reagor, Hightower and Watkins.

Look I’m not saying they shouldn’t address the position entirely or pass on the opportunity to select an elite talent at #6 but you could make an argument corner is a way more dire need.

If they don’t address the position in FA, they’re forced to do it in the draft and if they pass on one in the first, they almost certainly have to use their 2nd on one. We’d be looking at the likes of Joseph, Samuel, Stokes and Campbell there. 

So which scenario would you prefer?

1) Chase, Pitts, Smith or Waddle at #6, Joseph, Samuel, Stokes or Campbell in the 2nd and use our two 3rd rounders on OIL, LB, DE or S;

or...

2) Horn in the first, Grant with our own 2nd, an IOL like Dickerson, Davis or Green, a LB like Cox, Davis or Surratt and a WR like Moore, Wallace or St.Brown with our second 2nd rounder and our two 3rd rounders.

Think about it! What’s best for the team in the long run? Yeah, I know, we all have a man crush on one of these pass catchers but take that love out of the equation for a second and think about our coaching staff being able to develop our young receivers properly. You could make an argument scenario two is best for the team going forward, right?! 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

1) Chase, Pitts, Smith or Waddle at #6, Joseph, Samuel, Stokes or Campbell in the 2nd and use our two 3rd rounders on OIL, LB, DE or S;

This one for me without doubt. An elite receiver moves the needle for this offense and allows us to better assess Sirianni and Hurts. I also don't think there's a chasm of difference between Horn / Surtain and Joseph, Samuel, Stokes or Campbell.

They've got Slay, he was brought in to be the #1. Draft a guy in the second and hopefully Gannon can help develop these guys. His scheme may help them more than Schwartz did. 

20 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

This one for me without doubt. An elite receiver moves the needle for this offense and allows us to better assess Sirianni and Hurts. I also don't think there's a chasm of difference between Horn / Surtain and Joseph, Samuel, Stokes or Campbell.

They've got Slay, he was brought in to be the #1. Draft a guy in the second and hopefully Gannon can help develop these guys. His scheme may help them more than Schwartz did. 

I’d be fine with either scenario but if they don’t address the corner position in FA, I’m seriously leaning towards option two.

I do think there’s a significant gap between Surtain, Farley and Horn and the corner prospects you could get at the top of round two to be honest. 

Look...this organisation hasn’t addressed the corner position properly in the draft for about two decades and in that same time span have used multiple high draft picks on receivers. From the likes of Pinkston, Maclin, DJax, Agholor, JJAW and Reagor.

Although I’m still on the Pitts and Chase bandwagon, it’s hard to justify taking another pass catcher in the top 10 when you have a dozen of young undeveloped receivers on the roster and haven’t addressed arguably your most dire need in CB in the draft for so long.

Corner is handsdown their biggest need and if you’re being honest maybe the one position they need to get right asap. How many FA’s do you want to throw in the mix to get it right?! Slay, Williams, Fletcher, Darby, Asomugha, DRC, Carroll, Maxwell etc?

When does the bleeding stop and you take a top corner in the draft who’ll help you for the next 5-10  years so you don’t have to spend all that money in FA at the position?!

If Chase or Pitts are there at #6 you take ‘m but if they’re not, you trade down a couple of spots and take the No.1 or 2 CB in the draft and don’t look back.

That’s where I’m at. I’m not taking Snith or Waddle at #6 and rather address the CB position if Pitts and Chase are off the board. A trade down into that 8 to 12 range would be ideal in that scenario.

5 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Indeed and we can’t count it out he’s on the Eagles short list at #6. I’m not saying they should flat out take him there but with no cap space and the CB market drying up, it wouldn’t surprise me if the Eagles trade down a couple of spots and for the first time in two decades select a corner in the first.

For all we know Sirianni might like our WR core more than we fans do. If they are such good talent developers at the position, they just might think we have enough there. The majority of those kids are young and entering their 2nd season in the NFL. It might be too soon to give up on Fulgham, Reagor, Hightower and Watkins.

Look I’m not saying they shouldn’t address the position entirely or pass on the opportunity to select an elite talent at #6 but you could make an argument corner is a way more dire need.

If they don’t address the position in FA, they’re forced to do it in the draft and if they pass on one in the first, they almost certainly have to use their 2nd on one. We’d be looking at the likes of Joseph, Samuel, Stokes and Campbell there. 

So which scenario would you prefer?

or...

2) Horn in the first, Grant with our own 2nd, an IOL like Dickerson, Davis or Green, a LB like Cox, Davis or Surratt and a WR like Moore, Wallace or St.Brown with our second 2nd rounder and our two 3rd rounders.

Think about it! What’s best for the team in the long run? Yeah, I know, we all have a man crush on one of these pass catchers but take that love out of the equation for a second and think about our coaching staff being able to develop our young receivers properly. You could make an argument scenario two is best for the team going forward, right?! 

Corner definitely one of the biggest needs because with the draft record the eagles have they must take the best players available. They don’t have the luxury or the credibility of trading back and getting a player that will be great. At #6 you have a chance to get someone great.

As we know the best players in this draft at least top 10 are mostly offensive players. There will be a boat load of solid players in the secondary in day 2. Campbell, Melifonwu and Newsome are my CB favorites for pick #37 because they fit the scheme the best. Day 3 they could go Stokes, Adebo or Wade.

Horn is good and has potential but he has his red flags. they can’t get cute. They have 11 picks and really don’t need to make trades unless it is moving up in the 2nd round to secure a player that fell out of the 1st.

6 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

Corner definitely one of the biggest needs because with the draft record the eagles have they must take the best players available. They don’t have the luxury or the credibility of trading back and getting a player that will be great. At #6 you have a chance to get someone great.

As we know the best players in this draft at least top 10 are mostly offensive players. There will be a boat load of solid players in the secondary in day 2. Campbell, Melifonwu and Newsome are my CB favorites for pick #37 because they fit the scheme the best. Day 3 they could go Stokes, Adebo or Wade.

Horn is good and has potential but he has his red flags. they can’t get cute. They have 11 picks and really don’t need to make trades unless it is moving up in the 2nd round to secure a player that fell out of the 1st.

Told you so. Picking at 12 now and Horn and Surtain will definitely be in the mix there.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Look...this organisation hasn’t addressed the corner position properly in the draft for about two decades and in that same time span have used multiple high draft picks on receivers. From the likes of Pinkston, Maclin, DJax, Agholor, JJAW and Reagor.

They haven't addressed it properly and that's because they aren't great talent evaluators. I just don't think addressing it this year at #12 is going to sort the issue either if I'm honest.

29 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

They haven't addressed it properly and that's because they aren't great talent evaluators. I just don't think addressing it this year at #12 is going to sort the issue either if I'm honest.

This has nothing to do with talent evaluation, my friend!

They devaluated the position in the draft and completely ignored it for two decades. Since taking Lito Sheppard at 26 or 27 (I believe) in the 2002 draft, they only used relatively high picks on corners a couple of times (Marsh, Rowe, Jones, Douglas to name a few).

A top corner at #12 will definitely make a difference! Because we’ll not be in position anymore to draft Pitts or Chase, it’s not a lost cause. Our D backfield could finally look great again by pairing Horn or Surtain with Slay, Harris and McCleod.

My gut feeling with the trade down to 12 is that the team wants to focus on defense in Round 1. They've already shown an interest in Horn so I think he's very much in play.

The other name I'd watch for is Kwity Paye, the Michigan DE. The Eagles took Graham with the 13th pick in 2010 and Barnett with the 14th pick in 2017, not to mention DT Fletcher Cox with the 12th pick in 2012. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

My gut feeling with the trade down to 12 is that the team wants to focus on defense in Round 1. They've already shown an interest in Horn so I think he's very much in play.

The other name I'd watch for is Kwity Paye, the Michigan DE. The Eagles took Graham with the 13th pick in 2010 and Barnett with the 14th pick in 2017, not to mention DT Fletcher Cox with the 12th pick in 2012. 

You know I agree. We talked about this before.

If I had to take a wild guess, I think they’re going to take a CB. The reasoning is simple; they have nothing opposite Slay, don’t have the money to sign a FA (and even if they do, it’ll likely be a placeholder on a one year deal) and #12 would be an ideal landing spot for either Surtain or Horn.

Yes, Paye will be in the conversation too but with Barnett returning, Graham still playing at a high level and Sweat making a huge jump last year, they’re better off addressing the position later in the draft by taking a situational rusher who they can develop.

Even Smith and/or Waddle could be available in that range.

LOVE the move btw!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

You know I agree. We talked about this before.

If I had to take a wild guess, I think they’re going to take a CB. The reasoning is simple; they have nothing opposite Slay, don’t have the money to sign a FA (and even if they do, it’ll likely be a placeholder on a one year deal) and #12 would be an ideal landing spot for either Surtain or Horn.

Yes, Paye will be in the conversation too but with Barnett returning, Graham still playing at a high level and Sweat making a huge jump last year, they’re better off addressing the position later in the draft by taking a situational rusher who they can develop.

Even Smith and/or Waddle could be available in that range.

LOVE the move btw!

I'm liking it more and more. Chase and Pitts don't transform this team into a Super Bowl team. The D needs a major overhaul - and now it's likely we address the D in the first. Next year we have potentially 3 first round picks to add talent on both sides of the ball.

Chances are we are going to have 2 out of the best 3 corners available (Surtain, Horn, Farley). Both of the best DEs available (Paye/Rousseau) and at least one of Waddle or Smith. Parsons may well be there. I think that's unlikely given how the team values linebackers and his off the field issues).

Any way it shakes out - the Eagles are going to have 4-5 quality players to pick from at positions of need.

• Like 1