Is Jackson at the end? IR/surgery needed

Hawkeye

He done.  

I think he's still got it when he's healthy.  Unfortunately, he's played in 7 games in the last 2 years. 

It’s a crappy way for a guy to go out, but I hope the Eagles when this is over don’t have a Sproles moment when clearly the guy can’t stay healthy (though this wasn’t on Jackson) and they try to run it back again. 

2 hours ago, Portyansky said:

Dude was put out there to make a play bc we we dug into a hole, bc of all the earlier mistakes. Got tackled, then some stupid behemoth had to hit him when he was already down. Gotta feel bad for him...

Scumbag should be fined. 

2 hours ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

He done.  

I think he's still got it when he's healthy.  Unfortunately, he's played in 7 games in the last 2 years. 

6 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

It’s a crappy way for a guy to go out, but I hope the Eagles when this is over don’t have a Sproles moment when clearly the guy can’t stay healthy (though this wasn’t on Jackson) and they try to run it back again. 

I think the real shame is that he actually looked pretty good out there. 

But honestly I think we could put Tony Romo out there and he would be more likely to stay healthy. Time to cut our losses.

11 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I think the real shame is that he actually looked pretty good out there. 

But honestly I think we could put Tony Romo out there and he would be more likely to stay healthy. Time to cut our losses.

In any case with the cap ramifications on the horizon I don’t think they will have a choice. Howie’s really put them in a bind there. 

We saw the hit, clearly late. Saw the flag.

Heard nothing mentioned in the booth about it being dirty, just "oh, flag there”.

Not just a hit while on ground, but hit & leg roll. I know a special team cheap shot when I see one.

The biggest travesty tho? Spadaro’s comments on the site "Jackson put the ball on ground when he was down, and Kaden Smith, thinking the ball was loose, pounced on Jackson, landing on his leg.”

Utter Gobshite Dave. If he was down, there’s no fumble. If he was down, you don’t hit him. What gives with this gloss over? Surgery, IR? High ankle sprain? No fine for the play? No fight after?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3S6uvV6EMw

Sorry if I didn’t post the video right, not that we need to see it. 

Forgot to add the obvious: The ball didn’t pop around til After the dirty hit Dave!

What is this drivel of he’s long overdue to be gone, can’t stay healthy, nobody is surprised...bahhh!

late hit, dirty play, injury likely to put him out for good...and not a darn word said about it all by the front office...and a cover up by Dave. BS. Guy gave all and deserved better.

Loved watching him play. Voted greatest NFL play of all time for his punt return for TD to steal a game from the Ginas. He attempts it again at 33 years old, gets rolled....and you all quibble?

Units the clans!

12 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

ESPN is reporting Desean has a high ankle sprain and is undergoing an MRI to see if he'll need surgery. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30173186/source-philadelphia-eagles-believe-wr-desean-jackson-suffered-high-ankle-sprain

If so, his season may be over.  Even without surgery that's a long recovery (ask Lane Johnson) and it's hard to envision a scenario in which Jackson takes up a roster spot.  

***UPDATE*** Multiple sources report Jackson is headed for IR, will miss at least three games.

Missing at least three games after that would be a stunner for sure. 

I was excited when Jackson came back for his go around with the Eagles. Unfortunately that didn't live up to expectations. It's sad to see.

20 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Umm...that has already happened.  The last 2 years with Desean have been one long Sproles moment.

23 hours ago, Portyansky said:

Dude was put out there to make a play bc we we dug into a hole, bc of all the earlier mistakes. Got tackled, then some stupid behemoth had to hit him when he was already down. Gotta feel bad for him...

Things like hamstring injuries are pretty much on "his body." This injury sucked because it was a cheap, late hit and his leg got caught and twisted in an abnormal way. I don't blame these types of injuries on being injury prone. It's just a freak thing.

I would have liked to see him contribute even in a support role for the rest of the season. Hopefully we'll have him back and ready for our home playoff game. 

1 hour ago, eagle45 said:

Umm...that has already happened.  The last 2 years with Desean have been one long Sproles moment.

They were actually stuck under contract unlike. I just hope they don’t keep giving him one year deals like they kept doing with Sproles and Jason Peters. 

I feel for DJax.  Dirty hit likely ended his season.  I still don't agree with having him out there on a punt return his first game back from injury.  No idea what the heck they were thinking. .  Even if he wanted to be out there, they should have said "We need you fresh out there and this is your first game back so we don't want you returning punts yet"

He should go down as one of the best deep threats in NFL history.  I don't know what his future with the Eagles is but if he comes back and somehow plays another season or two, he could be a hall of fame candidate, imo.  

17 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

They were actually stuck under contract unlike. I just hope they don’t keep giving him one year deals like they kept doing with Sproles and Jason Peters. 

I doubt he wants to come back here if he decides to rehab and make another go at it.

He needs to go to a team that will target him regularly when he's open and has a QB who can hit deep balls on a consistent bases.  Not knocking Wentz, but he hasn't been "all there" this year.  Wentz is getting much better as the season progresses but for whatever reason, his style and DJax's style of play never seemed to click other than the first Washington game last season.  

I wouldn't be surprised if the Bears bring him in next year.  Foles would likely have a field day with Jackson on the team. 

36 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

I feel for DJax.  Dirty hit likely ended his season.  I still don't agree with having him out there on a punt return his first game back from injury.  No idea what the heck they were thinking.  One of the dumbest moves I've seen this coaching staff make.  Even if he wanted to be out there, they should have said "We need you fresh out there and this is your first game back so we don't want you returning punts yet"

He should go down as one of the best deep threats in NFL history.  I don't know what his future with the Eagles is but if he comes back and somehow plays another season or two, he could be a hall of fame candidate, imo.  

I completely get it.  My thought process...he has no future, is criminally overpaid, the season is on the line, and he's a much better punt returner than Ward.  By all means throw him out there.  The concept of preserving him is just silly.

On 10/23/2020 at 11:51 AM, NOTW said:

He was always going to be a part-time player at best, and be gone after this season along with Jeffrey.  Cannot rely on either of them.  It's unfortunate, just age and injury caught up with him.

The announcers and analysts need to stop talking about the "top" WRs missing in Jackson and Jeffrey.  We couldn't count on them anyway.  If they could contribute, great but they weren't plan A. That's why they drafted 3 receivers.

Exactly 

Both him and Alshon are luxurys at this point. If either can contribute anything at all this year than great, if not, oh well.  Neither are part of the teams future beyond 2020/21.

7 hours ago, eagle45 said:

I completely get it.  My thought process...he has no future, is criminally overpaid, the season is on the line, and he's a much better punt returner than Ward.  By all means throw him out there.  The concept of preserving him is just silly.

Nah.  It was a bad decision, imo plain and simple and whoever made that call should be criticized. 

For starters, you don't place your (arguably) #1 receiver on punt returns.  .   And you certainly would not put him out there his first game back after injury.  Has nothing to do with "babying him". 

#1 WR's don't return punts in the NFL.  (Other than rarely or early in their careers). .  And they did it against the worst team in the league, in in a meaningless situation.  Infuriating.   They could have put Ward out there and likely nothing would have changed (in terms of winning the game). 

4 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

Nah.  It was a bone-headed move, plain and simple and whoever made that call should be criticized. 

For starters, you don't place your (arguably) #1 receiver on punt returns.  Like maybe in a very important spot at the end of the game (if they are behind).   And you certainly would not put him out there his first game back after injury.  Has nothing to do with "babying him". 

#1 WR's don't return punts in the NFL.  (Other than rarely or early in their careers).  Dumb, boneheaded move.  And they did it against the worst team in the league, in a meaningless game, in a meaningless situation.  Infuriating.   

DJax deserves everything he is getting from the Eagles this year for putting him out there like that...and if I was Lurie, I would have a long talk with the guy that made the call.

Umm...that was the situation.

Desean Jackson isn't a #1 WR.  He's a walking corpse.  Howie opened up the same unjustified retirement fund for Desean as he did for Sproles and Peters.  They are all useless.  And when you find a high leverage situation in which they are available and you can actually use them, then use and abuse them all you want....injury risk is irrelevant.

If we don't use Desean in that situation, we don't get the 15 yard boost and likely don't secure the comeback.  So our season could be over and Desean would just hit IR with a different injury before halftime next week.

The outcome literally justified the injury.

7 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Umm...that was the situation.

Desean Jackson isn't a #1 WR.  He's a walking corpse.  Howie opened up the same unjustified retirement fund for Desean as he did for Sproles and Peters.  They are all useless.  And when you find a high leverage situation in which they are available and you can actually use them, then use and abuse them all you want....injury risk is irrelevant.

There was still plenty of time left.  I went back and edited my post but what I meant is that they didn't need a "huge return" to win the game and that's the only time a #1 WR should be used to return punts, imo.

57 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

I doubt he wants to come back here if he decides to rehab and make another go at it.

He needs to go to a team that will target him regularly when he's open and has a QB who can hit deep balls on a consistent bases.  Not knocking Wentz, but he hasn't been "all there" this year.  Wentz is getting much better as the season progresses but for whatever reason, his style and DJax's style of play never seemed to click other than the first Washington game last season.  

I wouldn't be surprised if the Bears bring him in next year.  Foles would likely have a field day with Jackson on the team. 

I mean, that Wash game was the only time Djax was 100%.