Is Jackson at the end? IR/surgery needed

Hawkeye

2 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

There was still plenty of time left.  I went back and edited my post but what I meant is that they didn't need a "huge return" to win the game and that's the only time a #1 WR should be used to return punts. 

And he was still technically the #1 WR,  Which makes it even worse....how are you going to put him out there knowing your WR core is already decimated by injury?  

Did Pederson say who's call it was?  I'm sure he would take the blame but I highly doubt he's the one who made that call (or advised it). 

I still don't understand exactly what we were saving Desean for.  It was a high leverage season saving situation.

He literally would just get hurt against Dallas and we'd have to shuffle the WR corps mid-game.  Now, we got the 15 yard boost and we will have 4 quarters of the same WRs against Dallas.  Win/win.

1 minute ago, Portyansky said:

I mean, that Wash game was the only time Djax was 100%. 

Who is going to sign Desean?  He's got the highest ratio of hate tweets to games played in NFL history.  I'm sure they'll be lining up.

2 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

I mean, that Wash game was the only time Djax was 100%. 

Nah.  He started 4 games this year and only targeted 25 times.  And 3 last year and only targeted 10 times. 

I don't want to turn this into a Wentz bashing thread but Jackson was open all-over-the place (pretty much) every time he was on the field during the first few games this year.  Wentz either didn't look his way or missed him. 

3 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Who is going to sign Desean?  He's got the highest ratio of hate tweets to games played in NFL history.  I'm sure they'll be lining up.

I doubt he'll make 8 million but I can almost guarantee he will be signed next season.  

1 minute ago, Ace Nova said:

Nah.  He started 4 games this year and only targeted 25 times.  And 3 last year and only targeted 10 times. 

I don't want to turn this into a Wentz bashing thread but Jackson was open all-over-the place (pretty much) every time he was on the field during the first few games this year.  Wentz either didn't look his way or missed him. 

Or was running for his life.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

I still don't understand exactly what we were saving Desean for.  It was a high leverage season saving situation.

He literally would just get hurt against Dallas and we'd have to shuffle the WR corps mid-game.  Now, we got the 15 yard boost and we will have 4 quarters of the same WRs against Dallas.  Win/win.

Not having him return punts has nothing to do with "saving him/load management".  It has everything to do with the fact that you don't put your top WR on a punt return..especially his first game back from injury and when you are already dealing with a myriad of injuries at WR.

But in terms of "saving him" I tend to agree, he should have been given a regular amount of snaps on offense.  Even if he wasn't getting the ball, most teams would need to account for him being on the field and that helps the rest of the offense open up, etc. 

You all know I keep saying I am tired of all these old injury plagued players. It is time to move on for DJax (past time, really), but I really can't down him for this latest injury. It was the cheapest of cheap shots and not on his conditioning or anything else. I read it's a small fracture as well as a high ankle sprain. Unless he can do a TO and recover miraculously, then it's all over as a Philadelphia Eagle. 

• Like 1

Some team will sign him. He's still a threat when healthy but we need to stop signing those type of players

On 10/24/2020 at 1:44 PM, PoconoDon said:

Report says he's out 6-8 weeks, so that's that. https://www.nfl.com/news/saturday-s-nfl-injury-and-roster-news-for-week-7

Well, hold on now . . . he could be ready to go when the Eags goto the divisional round or the NFC Champ Game.    :ph34r:

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, McNabbIsDone said:

Well, hold on now . . . he could be ready to go when the Eags goto the divisional round or NFC Champ Game.    :ph34r:

How could I be so short sighted?:lol:

9 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

Not having him return punts has nothing to do with "saving him/load management".  It has everything to do with the fact that you don't put your top WR on a punt return..especially his first game back from injury and when you are already dealing with a myriad of injuries at WR.

But in terms of "saving him" I tend to agree, he should have been given a regular amount of snaps on offense.  Even if he wasn't getting the ball, most teams would need to account for him being on the field and that helps the rest of the offense open up, etc. 

Hol up.. fulgham wasnt returning punts at any time.

9 hours ago, eagle45 said:

I completely get it.  My thought process...he has no future, is criminally overpaid, the season is on the line, and he's a much better punt returner than Ward.  By all means throw him out there.  The concept of preserving him is just silly.

My thought process is, you don't expect a player to get hurt just because he's doing a football thing. Injuries are a risk on any play. I'll never understand why people act like punt returners are dying left and right out there or something. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, brkmsn said:

My thought process is, you don't expect a player to get hurt just because he's doing a football thing. Injuries are a risk on any play. I'll never understand why people act like punt returners are dying left and right out there or something. 

Yeah I think that's fair. I heard a few criticisms of Doug and Fipp for having him back there to return punts but the injury came as a result of a dirty late hit. You can't account for that, if you did then no player would ever go out on the field. 

That’s the dirty, career ending injury, not talked about hit you mean?

The one the guy should have been fined/ejected for?

Someone said whistle hadn’t been blown so it was fair game. Someone said ball popped out is why dude jumped on him laying there. Lies. Even if whistle was blown, man was on his back. Even if ball popped out, man was already down.

Sad nobody is giving this much attention.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah I think that's fair. I heard a few criticisms of Doug and Fipp for having him back there to return punts but the injury came as a result of a dirty late hit. You can't account for that, if you did then no player would ever go out on the field. 

Back in the day, I used to argue against using Mahe as a punt returner when we had 3 guys on the roster that were better and 2 were way better. The main guy we had was Westbrook who was obviously a big part of our offense. People said we had to limit Westbrook's touches and that we'd be putting him at an unnecessary risk returning punts. My argument was that the difference between an average Mahe return and an average Westbrook return was the yardage of an average Westbrook run. So by getting more yards and better field position on the return, the "touches" argument becomes a wash because theoretically you wouldn't need 1 more offensive play to get to that field position. Mahe was pretty slow at full speed and had virtually no shot going all the way since breaking tackles wasn't his thing either (except in the rain where his slow feet offered more control in slippery situations). Westbrook offered a possibility that every once in a while the offense wouldn't even have to come on the field. On top of that, teams often resorted to directional punting that produced poor net results. But I digress ... People for some reason feel that punt returners are more "at risk of an injury" than a receiver or runner, which I think is absurd. Receivers can't "fair catch" a pass and hopefully, they aren't just deciding to "let it go." It's really a safe play for the returner if he makes the right decision, executes properly and everybody obeys the rules. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Back in the day, I used to argue against using Mahe as a punt returner when we had 3 guys on the roster that were better and 2 were way better.

Ultimately I think you want your best guy back there returning punts. You need to succeed in all 3 phases to win a game so you need to do a good job on STs. If you have a guy who can make a huge difference on returns then I say use him more often than not. Unless it's say a player you absolutely need to protect. DeSean does not fall in to that category.

10 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Ultimately I think you want your best guy back there returning punts. You need to succeed in all 3 phases to win a game so you need to do a good job on STs. If you have a guy who can make a huge difference on returns then I say use him more often than not. Unless it's say a player you absolutely need to protect. DeSean does not fall in to that category.

I believe at this point (including this last Thursday), Jackson's role is more that of a support role. Reagor is the future there and Hightower is showing some potential as well. I still don't personally think you can "protect" anyone. Doug protects players in practice and training camp and they still get injuries. The rules protect players and we saw this injury to Jackson and the one to Wentz in the playoff game last year happen despite player safety rules. Hopefully when Reagor establishes himself as the clear starter at WR, the Eagles won't shy away from using him as a PR as well. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I believe at this point (including this last Thursday), Jackson's role is more that of a support role. Reagor is the future there and Hightower is showing some potential as well. I still don't personally think you can "protect" anyone. Doug protects players in practice and training camp and they still get injuries. The rules protect players and we saw this injury to Jackson and the one to Wentz in the playoff game last year happen despite player safety rules. Hopefully when Reagor establishes himself as the clear starter at WR, the Eagles won't shy away from using him as a PR as well. 

Oh absolutely desean is nothing more than a support player at this point in his career. 

I think the only time you "protect" a player is if say its your stud RB who you build your offense around and without that player your offense would majorly suffer. 

18 hours ago, Talonblood said:

You all know I keep saying I am tired of all these old injury plagued players. It is time to move on for DJax (past time, really), but I really can't down him for this latest injury. It was the cheapest of cheap shots and not on his conditioning or anything else. I read it's a small fracture as well as a high ankle sprain. Unless he can do a TO and recover miraculously, the it's all over as a Philadelphia Eagle. 

When we originally traded for Jackson, we needed a player to come in for a couple seasons while we found a future starter there. I still think it was the right move. The injuries are unfortunate. I really only expected the occasional hamstring to be an issue throughout the contract. The sports hernia was a tough break and Jackson chose the wrong treatment and it cost him the whole season. Now this. I mean, it was reasonable to expect him to miss 7-9 games over 2 years, but this is just bad luck. 

We often associate injuries with age, but it hasn't just been old players getting hurt the last few seasons. Brandon Graham is still chugging along, Jenkins was an iron man. We've seen a boatload of young playes get hurt the last couple seasons: MIlls, Barnett, Hargrave, LeBlanc, Darby, S. Jones, Maddox, Sanders, Howard, Reagor, Dillard, Mailata, Goedert, Watkins, Edwards, D. Hall, Ridgeway, Perkins, Wentz, Agholor, Clement, Hollins, etc...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh absolutely desean is nothing more than a support player at this point in his career. 

I think the only time you "protect" a player is if say its your stud RB who you build your offense around and without that player your offense would majorly suffer. 

That's kind of what Westbrook was. I just have a different approach to that as explained earlier. I don't care if my "stud player" is making a big play as a punt returner or as a RB or WR. I actually love seeing key players like Jenkins and Dawkins also playing on ST, showing just how important the whole game is. 

he was done before he got here last year.

2 of the worst signings we had recently, Djax and re signing Alshon.

Wasted $ and roster spots, and worst was they prevented us from addressing the position correctly last year.  Still setting us back this year. No way we should have gone into the season expecting anything from them, that was foolish

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

When we originally traded for Jackson, we needed a player to come in for a couple seasons while we found a future starter there. I still think it was the right move. The injuries are unfortunate. I really only expected the occasional hamstring to be an issue throughout the contract. The sports hernia was a tough break and Jackson chose the wrong treatment and it cost him the whole season. Now this. I mean, it was reasonable to expect him to miss 7-9 games over 2 years, but this is just bad luck. 

We often associate injuries with age, but it hasn't just been old players getting hurt the last few seasons. Brandon Graham is still chugging along, Jenkins was an iron man. We've seen a boatload of young playes get hurt the last couple seasons: MIlls, Barnett, Hargrave, LeBlanc, Darby, S. Jones, Maddox, Sanders, Howard, Reagor, Dillard, Mailata, Goedert, Watkins, Edwards, D. Hall, Ridgeway, Perkins, Wentz, Agholor, Clement, Hollins, etc...

Good write. 

3 hours ago, brkmsn said:

That's kind of what Westbrook was. I just have a different approach to that as explained earlier. I don't care if my "stud player" is making a big play as a punt returner or as a RB or WR. I actually love seeing key players like Jenkins and Dawkins also playing on ST, showing just how important the whole game is. 

I think there is a little bit more chaos on a punt and kick return though?