Has our offense ever looked so boring?

wtfcares

The OP must not remember the 1998 season when the Eagles' offense was both bad and boring.

48 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The guy is just not consistent enough to really win in the NFL. He was literally throwing points away last night. Series to series this guy is like a different player. For the life of me I don’t understand why can’t this kid figure out that he doesn’t need to throw a 50/50 balls into double coverage just to get his guys a play. Jerry Rice made a career turning a 7 yard slant into a 70 yard touchdown. Getting the ball out quicker would drop a lot of those sack and hits numbers. 

More like pass to pass Wentz is a different player.  He'll throw a perfectly thrown 20 yard downfield pass on one play, and then make a terrible throw (or in more accurately in many cases, a terrible decision) on the next play.

Wentz was awful last night except for a couple throws. I'm getting so burnt out on his inconsistency. He just doesn't take what the defense gives him and it seems like he'll never change.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nipples said:

The offensive line doesn’t force Wentz to make terrible decisions, hold the ball forever and have horrible mechanics leading to inconsistent accuracy. 

Even last night, everyone is going to blame the line or play call for the second fumble. But that wasn’t the case. Dallas was bringing the blitz, and when more rushers are coming than there are blockers, someone will be coming free. It’s the QB’s job to recognize where the blitz is coming from, and pull the trigger QUICK to get the ball into the void left by the blitzers. On that play he had TWO receivers open a couple yards beyond the first down right in the middle of the field where the heat was coming from. He needs to recognize that and get the ball out fast. 

that's why im saying everything has to change from the qb to the offensive identity aka doug, we need a chip kelly style no huddle offense and a qb that will get rid of the ball faster.

56 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

And then the wr isn't looking for the ball and it's dropped or picked. That is not how you play qb. Damn. 

There is no point in arguing this anymore. It’s clear that you’re such a Wentz fanboy that you cannot possibly acknowledging when he Fs up. I don’t care who is running the offense, it is drilled into the heads of QBs from the first snap they take that they need to look for the hole where blitzers come from to get the ball out. 

Rush isn’t there, TWO receivers wide open in the void left by the blitz. Easy pitch and catch. Instead he holds the ball and fumbles. 

He has three choices. Either hit Reagor quick as he’s crossing, and he’s got tons of room to run a long way. Or get it out a split second sooner to hit Ward quick who is standing there all alone a yard past the marker. This is 100% on Wentz.

85F09493-F18F-4DF4-A385-DB6A0E8B4406.jpeg

• Like 2

I think part is on Doug

I think part is on Howie 

I think part is on Taylor

I think part is on Wentz 

I think part is on players being in and out of the lineup 

Wentz hasn't been an interception machine like this his entire career so why now?   I understand the fumbles that has been that way his entire career but the interceptions are new and just don't know why the change this year in the interceptions and trying to force it down field.  

Who made the call to all of the sudden to try and force everything down field compared to previous year?  I know in the offseason they wanted to get MORE SPEED to push the ball downfield  so is this a result of coaching?  They want him to throw it down field?  I just don't understand how a player throws 21 INTs in total the last three season and then has 12 already this season.  It just doesn't add up unless there was a change in philosophy from the 57 offensive coaches we hired?   Its not easily explainable as WENTZ sucks. The last three seasons he wasn't just chucking the ball up for grabs down the field all the time so why now?  What changed?  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, nipples said:

There is no point in arguing this anymore. It’s clear that you’re such a Wentz fanboy that you cannot possibly acknowledging when he Fs up. I don’t care who is running the offense, it is drilled into the heads of QBs from the first snap they take that they need to look for the hole where blitzers come from to get the ball out. 

In our plays he’s got no one running quick routes in the middle of the field to make a quick throw to. You see it everytime. Just look at that 4th and 1 yesterday. How pathetic play design was it knowing that we’re going to definitely have a blitz up the middle because of the threat of the sneak and yet the play is a bunch of receivers running up the field and to the outside. So Wentz ends up throwing the call quick but Fulgam has no chance since the stupid play has him doing some sort of curl. 

Just now, wtfcares said:

In our plays he’s got no one running quick routes in the middle of the field to make a quick throw to. You see it everytime. Just look at that 4th and 1 yesterday. How pathetic play design was it knowing that we’re going to definitely have a blitz up the middle because of the threat of the sneak and yet the play is a bunch of receivers running up the field and to the outside. So Wentz ends up throwing the call quick but Fulgam has no chance since the stupid play has him doing some sort of curl. 

From the 4th down fumble.. no quick routes to beat the blitz, you say? Ok. 

E0063184-F425-4242-869B-7D9951030271.jpeg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nipples said:

Rush isn’t there, TWO receivers wide open in the void left by the blitz. Easy pitch and catch. Instead he holds the ball and fumbles. 

He has three choices. Either hit Reagor quick as he’s crossing, and he’s got tons of room to run a long way. Or get it out a split second sooner to hit Ward quick who is standing there all alone a yard past the marker. This is 100% on Wentz.

The problem is, he can't hit Ward sooner, because Ward had just turned around (as the picture shows). He can't hit Ward at that moment, because Reagor was running in front of him which a) blocks Wards view and b) requires Reagor to get out of the way. By the time Ward didn't have his own teammate in his face, LVE was on Wentz. Also the chance he didn't see Ward right away with his own teammate screening him.

Now, he could've hit Reagor here, but Reagor wasn't even looking for the ball. He waits a second longer (as he had to) LVE is on him (as he was). 

Wentz didn't play great last night, but this wasn't on him. The other fumble, definitely.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nipples said:

The offensive line doesn’t force Wentz to make terrible decisions, hold the ball forever and have horrible mechanics leading to inconsistent accuracy. 

Even last night, everyone is going to blame the line or play call for the second fumble. But that wasn’t the case. Dallas was bringing the blitz, and when more rushers are coming than there are blockers, someone will be coming free. It’s the QB’s job to recognize where the blitz is coming from, and pull the trigger QUICK to get the ball into the void left by the blitzers. On that play he had TWO receivers open a couple yards beyond the first down right in the middle of the field where the heat was coming from. He needs to recognize that and get the ball out fast. 

So true. Hell, even 7th rounder Dinucci did this and burned our defense multiple times!

2 hours ago, Bacarty2 said:

If you know anything about the game, or watch it at any type of leve it's failry easy to defend Wentz. 

Doug has 8 plays. He runs them strong side or week side. 12 or 11 personal.  

The defense literally knows whats coming. Which is why Wentz holds on to the ball, which is why he plays hero ball

Going into half we were averaging 8 yards per carry from our running backs, but we had 9 running back carriers. 

This sounds like the Chip Kelly era.  

I think the offense would look great if the line wasn't in shambles and Wentz would get his head out if his arse. 

5 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

1) I watched that play a couple times and it looks like Ward(maybe) is the 3rd read. 

2) It looks like someone ran the wrong route to have 2 guys on top of each other like this

3) Why did you go for it

4) why didnt you run the ball 

Our offensive numbers look like Chip Kelly era 

Number 1 is completely invalid. When the blitz is coming and you can see they’re bringing more guys than your line can possibly block, the first read is then whoever is in the hole left by the blitzer. 

They run the same 12-15 plays over and over again.  Stale, boring, predictable offense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nipples said:

Thanks for the picture that proves my point you replied to. 

1 hour ago, Swoop said:

The problem is, he can't hit Ward sooner, because Ward had just turned around (as the picture shows). He can't hit Ward at that moment, because Reagor was running in front of him which a) blocks Wards view and b) requires Reagor to get out of the way. By the time Ward didn't have his own teammate in his face, LVE was on Wentz. Also the chance he didn't see Ward right away with his own teammate screening him.

Now, he could've hit Reagor here, but Reagor wasn't even looking for the ball. He waits a second longer (as he had to) LVE is on him (as he was). 

Wentz didn't play great last night, but this wasn't on him. The other fumble, definitely.

Thanks for explaining my point to him. 

It’s easy to take a still shot and say well he should have thrown the ball!!! But reality is reality and it doesn’t work that way. 

Just now, 20dawk4life said:

Thanks for the picture that proves my point you replied to. 

Thanks for explaining my point to him. 

It’s easy to take a still shot and say well he should have thrown the ball!!! But reality is reality and it doesn’t work that way. 

Your point was there is no "hot routes”. Which is ridiculous. The routes, "hot” or not, have two receivers right on the middle of the field and wide open. But sure, keep defending Wentz to the death. 

Just now, nipples said:

Your point was there is no "hot routes”. Which is ridiculous. The routes, "hot” or not, have two receivers right on the middle of the field and wide open. But sure, keep defending Wentz to the death. 

A hot route requires an adjustment made to the blitzing player allowing the qb to focus on that receiver. Our offense does not have them. Hence wentz not looking their direction, them blocking each other, and wentz not having enough time to make his reads to get to his second, third, or fourth option.

Also notice my original point of the oline being the main problem. In your picture you can see LVE go in touched on his way to Wentz. They rushed 5. We had 5 blocking. The oline is the problem. 

2 hours ago, weko said:

I agree it all starts with scheme and the ability to design plays.  Doug doesn't have it.  Greg Cosell of NFL films remarks our offense requires the WRs to win one on one battles to get open.  There's no creativity.  Yes Carson was awful.  Trade him to the Colts and watch him shine.  Sleepy Jeff Lurie has to wake up from his perpetual gold standard nap and get us a cutting edge OC and a QB coach who knows what he's doing.  Doug is in way over his head running the offense.

I would also add a legitimate GM, and legitimate scouting department.

Half of Wentz's turnovers and hits this year could be prevented if he would just throw the ball away.  Stop dancing around and taking unnecessary hits.  Throw it away and live to play another down.  And if there is a lane take it.  He is athletic enough that he can run and do damage with his legs when he wants too.

52 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

A hot route requires an adjustment made to the blitzing player allowing the qb to focus on that receiver. Our offense does not have them. Hence wentz not looking their direction, them blocking each other, and wentz not having enough time to make his reads to get to his second, third, or fourth option.

Also notice my original point of the oline being the main problem. In your picture you can see LVE go in touched on his way to Wentz. They rushed 5. We had 5 blocking. The oline is the problem. 

Wasting your time. It's been decided by some that he's the worst QB in the league, always has been and he can never be good. Time for Hurts, I've been told.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, weko said:

It's chicken and egg.  Doug is the #1 problem.  He doesn't have the offensive intelligence needed.  The scheme is so basic, no creativity, no WRs ever wide open.  Yes Carson was awful. Trade him to the Colts and he'd play like a pro bowler.  We need a cutting edge OC from the college ranks, we need to clean house on the offensive coaching staff, new QB coach, creative schemes that offer wide open routes.  The coaching is horrible.  The drafting is horrible. When our older, best players all retire we'll be horrible too...for maybe a long time.  You build thru the draft. You win with creative offensive coaching.  We don't do either well.

How can he get creative please do tell me? Wentz is playing like garbage for the most part. The OL has had so many injuries and the offense as a whole isn't executing. And all of that isn't dissolving Doug of blame. He's got to do a better job, he's got to be smarter and be less predictable. I think his play calling is a real issue but he's not the biggest issue with this team. Carson is. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

How can he get creative please do tell me? Wentz is playing like garbage for the most part. The OL has had so many injuries and the offense as a whole isn't executing. And all of that isn't dissolving Doug of blame. He's got to do a better job, he's got to be smarter and be less predictable. I think his play calling is a real issue but he's not the biggest issue with this team. Carson is. 

How can he be more creative? Create better plays where you take advantage of your athletic playmakers by getting them the ball in space. Create plays where the routes separate the defense to leave someone open. A good coach would do that to help his struggling QB.

Instead he recycles the same plays and routes where there is no crossing, picks, etc. Our receivers either run straight go routes or turn for a curl. Defenses have figured that out and now play to stop it with deep safeties and CBs close to line. That’s why all our throws are always contested balls. That also leaves the middle wide open but Doug doesn’t care. For him it’s only ever go route or curl. 

6 minutes ago, wtfcares said:

How can he be more creative? Create better plays where you take advantage of your athletic playmakers by getting them the ball in space. Create plays where the routes separate the defense to leave someone open. A good coach would do that to help his struggling QB.

The QB can barely hit the side of a barn door. He's missing open guys. He can't lead a WR with a pass. He can't hit them in stride. Doug doesn't trust him to go through his reads.

• Like 1