Time to point the finger at Press Taylor

Br3

Seriously, how does this guy still have a job? 3 seasons as the qb coach and Wentz has looked worse every season. In fact, I can’t think of a single thing Wentz has gotten better at outside of maybe throwing the football away a few more times per game. Seriously I could have taught him that. Wentz calls this guy a friend and that’s the problem, he’s not hard enough on Wentz because he doesn’t want to ruin their friendship. Either that or he’s just terrible at his job. Carson and flip did not get along probably because Flip wasn’t afraid to get in his face tell him like it is and that is the kind of coaching Wentz needs because lord knows Doug won’t do it.

Taylor was head coach at Tulsa and friggin GK KINNE was his qb and that somehow qualifies him to work with Wentz?  GJ friggn KINNE I mean my god it’s been 10 years and I still can’t believe that kid was drafted. Didn’t he transition to WR ?? SMH these are the people we put around Wentz and then wonder why he leads the league in turnovers and barely resembles an nfl quarterback at times. 

Press needs to be held accountable.

Times yours. 

• Like 9

Maybe if Wentz could actually take criticism they could hire a coach who will be tough on him like he needs. We’ve all seen the reports about how he didn’t get along with Flip, because he was "too hard on him”. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, nipples said:

Maybe if Wentz could actually take criticism they could hire a coach who will be tough on him like he needs. We’ve all seen the reports about how he didn’t get along with Flip, because he was "too hard on him”. 

I think Wentz can take criticism. I think that's why DeFilipo was so good for him. But what he needs is someone to get after him. To get stuck in to him a little. Or at least from the outside that's what we see and hear. 

Press Taylor may be a really good bright young coach. That's fine, keep him around if he's a bright young coach just not as QB coach to Wentz. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think Wentz can take criticism. I think that's why DeFilipo was so good for him. But what he needs is someone to get after him. To get stuck in to him a little. Or at least from the outside that's what we see and hear. 

Press Taylor may be a really good bright young coach. That's fine, keep him around if he's a bright young coach just not as QB coach to Wentz. 

This. Seems to me like both Press and Doug are super cuddly coaches who dont know when and how to be stern. Players all love them and play hard for them. But ultimately they are ineffective at actual coaching and changing players poor habits. 

• Like 1

Last year it was Groh. Now it will be Taylor. I think the biggest problem is for sure Doug and Wentz. 

• Like 4

They finally nailed the WR coach after how many attempts? Maybe if they fire Taylor they'll nail the next one

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, wtfcares said:

This. Seems to me like both Press and Doug are super cuddly coaches who dont know when and how to be stern. Players all love them and play hard for them. But ultimately they are ineffective at actual coaching and changing players poor habits. 

These are NFL players, not college kids.  They're grown men.  Chip Kelly tried to impose his will from top to bottom and the whole thing imploded.  It's a fine line. 

• Like 1

Wentz is arrogant. Really nice, kind and well intentioned people can also be arrogant. The main flaw of arrogance is an inability to listen and we self aware. A coach who is a friend doesn't serve him well. He needs a coach who will explain the difference between aggressive play and flawed risk taking. Right now he is the football equivalent of Moneyball. Swings for the fences but overall diminishes scoring. Someone needs to call him out on the fact that aggressive play includes protecting possessions. That's why they sneak him. That's an aggressive play to keep a drive alive. Slinging it on a hope and prayer is irresponsible play. Someone also needs to help him grow up. He is getting paid $128MM and the honeymoon is over. His presser in which he stated a number of times that he and the receivers were not on the same page is bad leadership. He needs to own his mistakes in order to correct them rather than share the blame. The talent is there but not using every resource to fix throwing mechanics issues says a lot about his limitations.

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, Next_Up said:

His presser in which he stated a number of times that he and the receivers were not on the same page is bad leadership

That's awful leadership. That's a nice way of hanging your receivers out to dry. I mean if you aren't on the same page then two things are happening there... Either the pass is an inaccurate one or the receiver hasn't run the correct route. If it's the former then that's not down to not being on the same page that's a QB issue. Own the mistakes. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Next_Up said:

Wentz is arrogant. Really nice, kind and well intentioned people can also be arrogant. The main flaw of arrogance is an inability to listen and we self aware. A coach who is a friend doesn't serve him well. He needs a coach who will explain the difference between aggressive play and flawed risk taking. Right now he is the football equivalent of Moneyball. Swings for the fences but overall diminishes scoring. Someone needs to call him out on the fact that aggressive play includes protecting possessions. That's why they sneak him. That's an aggressive play to keep a drive alive. Slinging it on a hope and prayer is irresponsible play. Someone also needs to help him grow up. He is getting paid $128MM and the honeymoon is over. His presser in which he stated a number of times that he and the receivers were not on the same page is bad leadership. He needs to own his mistakes in order to correct them rather than share the blame. The talent is there but not using every resource to fix throwing mechanics issues says a lot about his limitations.

Agreed 100%

I think some criticism of Taylor is fair. But, this is mostly on Wentz. He knows not to hold the ball for 8 seconds and to not take sacks. They learn that in high school. Wentz wants to play hero ball.  Carson isn't listening to coaches. He's like Jeff George, but not outwardly to teammates and the media. But, internally, he wants to do things his way and he isn't willing to really look at all of the things it takes to be a NFL QB.  Peyton Manning always talked about mechanics and always put time in the film room. He listened to coaches. He was really close with Tom Moore.  Carson just wants to sling it around and if a bad throw happens, "oh well,  we'll get it next time". I also think he let the Hurts pick get to him internally.  I think now he is overdoing the risk taking  in order to prove a point that the organization made a mistake and it is backfiring big time.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CaliEagle said:

I think some criticism of Taylor is fair. But, this is mostly on Wentz. He knows not to hold the ball for 8 seconds and to not take sacks. They learn that in high school. Wentz wants to play hero ball.  Carson isn't listening to coaches. He's like Jeff George, but not outwardly to teammates and the media. But, internally, he wants to do things his way and he isn't willing to really look at all of the things it takes to be a NFL QB.  Peyton Manning always talked about mechanics and always put time in the film room. He listened to coaches. He was really close with Tom Moore.  Carson just wants to sling it around and if a bad throw happens, "oh well,  we'll get it next time". 

I think the criticism on Taylor though is that he doesn't get after Wentz. I agree that a lot of the blame sits with Wentz but Taylor just isn't coaching him right. And we know there's a way to coach Wentz to get after him. 

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think the criticism on Taylor though is that he doesn't get after Wentz. I agree that a lot of the blame sits with Wentz but Taylor just isn't coaching him right. And we know there's a way to coach Wentz to get after him. 

But, there could also be other dynamics at play. Does Howie have Wentz' back? Is Doug afraid of pissing off Howie by being too hard on Wentz?  Can Taylor be hard on Wentz or has Doug and the FO told him not to upset Wentz?  They babied Agholor when Agholor had drops.  Agholor goes to the Raiders where Gruden won't do that and he is a different player. So, maybe the FO as a whole wants to treat Wentz with kid gloves.  I don't know this, but star players often get more power than coaches have and Howie is really tied to Wentz's success. So, there could be some internal dynamics happening.

• Like 1

Yup, it’s definitely fair to wonder how much of Wentz’s issues are on coaching, especially QB coach. I agree with this take

• Like 1

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve posted since some time last year that Wentz needs better coaching than he is getting from Taylor.  I feel like a broken record saying again that Wentz played his best ball when both Flip and Reich (both former QBs) we’re here to help guide him - I firmly believe that duo was more responsible for his early development than Doug was.  Doug had too much on his plate with being a first time NFL HC.  Promoting Taylor to QB coach is the exact same as having promoted Groh to OC.  Doug is clueless when it comes to assembling a strong staff that will get the most out of his players.  

• Like 1

Wentz' current playstyle looks as if he don't care. Know why? Cause he finally got rid of the Foles stigma and was moving forward as "the guy" and the FO goes and drafts Hurts.

I would like to see him get benched for a series, akin to a RB that fumbles. He has played his whole career not giving a damn about fumbling or improving his fumbling. But this year, he is doing his best Eli Manning impression with the INTs and killing this team. For a 5th year vet, he's making mistakes he shouldn't be.

Part of coaching is also disciplining players and holding them accountable when they make mistakes. Telling everyone that Wentz is the guy forever, no matter what, gives him a green light to just go and play with no care in the world. He should have a short leash after the bye, if the Eagles are serious about winning this year. Maybe that would light a fire under his ass to play better. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eaglefan78 said:

Wentz' current playstyle looks as if he don't care. Know why? Cause he finally got rid of the Foles stigma and was moving forward as "the guy" and the FO goes and drafts Hurts.

I would like to see him get benched for a series, akin to a RB that fumbles. He has played his whole career not giving a damn about fumbling or improving his fumbling. But this year, he is doing his best Eli Manning impression with the INTs and killing this team. For a 5th year vet, he's making mistakes he shouldn't be.

Part of coaching is also disciplining players and holding them accountable when they make mistakes. Telling everyone that Wentz is the guy forever, no matter what, gives him a green light to just go and play with no care in the world. He should have a short leash after the bye, if the Eagles are serious about winning this year. Maybe that would light a fire under his ass to play better. 

i am completely on board with holding guys accountable. Let the ass lighting commence!

My issue with Press is the lack of creativity in Hurts plays to actually rationalize being drafted in the 2nd. The creative plays are out there to do this, its more of an execution issue. The idea was interesting and executable, but they are not coming up with the play designs.

I'm a fan on a message board and even I can see an outside toss that can be thrown is better than Taysom Hill can do Because hurts can run with power. And that's simple, and it is a differentiating factor. Think of RPOs where the QB runs, or passes to another QB for a separate RPO. The ideas are out there. Don't F this up.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nipples said:

We’ve all seen the reports about how he didn’t get along with Flip, because he was "too hard on him”. 

Once again this is news to me.

This is beginning to sound really bad, it seems as though Wentz is a prima donna.

Dude needs to learn that being humble and teachable is the ticket for him to succeed, this thing about I'm not going to change is the worst attitude he can have at this time.

6 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

These are NFL players, not college kids.  They're grown men.  Chip Kelly tried to impose his will from top to bottom and the whole thing imploded.  It's a fine line. 

I wouldn't go that far. I am in my mid 30's and i wouldn't consider my self as being grown up. Also a lot of players prove their lack of maturity. 

1 hour ago, mihailo said:

I wouldn't go that far. I am in my mid 30's and i wouldn't consider my self as being grown up. Also a lot of players prove their lack of maturity. 

But I’ll bet you’re a long way from where you were when you were 19.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CaliEagle said:

But, there could also be other dynamics at play. Does Howie have Wentz' back? Is Doug afraid of pissing off Howie by being too hard on Wentz?  Can Taylor be hard on Wentz or has Doug and the FO told him not to upset Wentz?  They babied Agholor when Agholor had drops.  Agholor goes to the Raiders where Gruden won't do that and he is a different player. So, maybe the FO as a whole wants to treat Wentz with kid gloves.  I don't know this, but star players often get more power than coaches have and Howie is really tied to Wentz's success. So, there could be some internal dynamics happening.

But then explain 2017? When most who know DeFilipo and what went on was that he was hard on Wentz and that he did get after him. Why wouldn't they do that now? Why wouldn't they want to lit a fire under Wentz and really get through to him?

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But then explain 2017? When most who know DeFilipo and what went on was that he was hard on Wentz and that he did get after him. Why wouldn't they do that now? Why wouldn't they want to lit a fire under Wentz and really get through to him?

In 2017, Wentz was only a 2nd year player. He wasn’t yet on his 2nd contract. He was beginning the process, but hadn’t yet solidified a great season (as long as it did last) where he was an MVP favorite, and if it’s true that Foles’ later success would eventually get in Wentz’s head, well, he hadn’t yet had to deal with that. Wentz had less clout to fight back against hard coaching at that time. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

But I’ll bet you’re a long way from where you were when you were 19.  

I hope so 👍

8 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Wentz got more power when he got paid.  Howie became more tied to him once he paid him the big contract. So, Wentz probably has less fear about losing his job.