Time to point the finger at Press Taylor

Br3

19 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

These are NFL players, not college kids.  They're grown men.  Chip Kelly tried to impose his will from top to bottom and the whole thing imploded.  It's a fine line. 

That's true the drill sergeant method doesn't work in the NFL, but Doug seems to be a little too lenient.  Guys can go out there and stink the field up and never get benched, endlessly milk injuries and walk right back onto the field uncontested.  Even Andy briefly benched McNabb once or twice. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greend said:

Most of you guys are a bunch of clowns

Press! welcome. 

You need to do a better job with Wentz.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, time2rock said:

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve posted since some time last year that Wentz needs better coaching than he is getting from Taylor.  I feel like a broken record saying again that Wentz player his best ball when both Flip and Reich (both former QBs) we’re here to help guide him - I firmly believe that duo was more responsible for his early development than Doug was.  Doug had too much on his plate with being a first time NFL HC.  Promoting Taylor to QB coach is the exact same as having promoted Groh to OC.  Doug is clueless when it comes to assembling a strong staff that will get the most out of his players.  

That and Doug is sometimes just not a very bright guy. He allowed the praise from the SB get to his head and now he just seems desperate to prove that he and he alone was the mastermind behind that run.

38 minutes ago, Madriver said:

That and Doug is sometimes just not a very bright guy. He allowed the praise from the SB get to his head and now he just seems desperate to prove that he and he alone was the mastermind behind that run.

Doug's initial offense was a result of a strong collaboration between he, Reich, and Flip (who both had previous OC experience).  Doug did too but Andy pretty much called the plays there for most of his tenure as OC in KC.  Since those 2 left the offense has been completely uncreative and boring - he really has no feel for how to call an offense, not knowing when to go for it on 4th down, when to go for 2, having a struggling Wentz chuck the ball up 30+ times in 40 mph winds, etc.  It's maddening.  He is a good leader - the team plays hard for him. 

Atop my wish list for this upcoming offseason is that he'd give up play calling to an experienced OC that he hires from outside (none of those that were brought in this past offseason) then "promotes" Taylor to a new role and hires a vet QB coach that can help Wentz get back to playing at the level he has proven to in the past.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, greend said:

Most of you guys are a bunch of clowns

Speaking only for myself and not the group, that's the nicest thing I've been called all week. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, [TSM]_PimpDaddyPain said:

That's true the drill sergeant method doesn't work in the NFL, but Doug seems to be a little too lenient.  Guys can go out there and stink the field up and never get benched, endlessly milk injuries and walk right back onto the field uncontested.  Even Andy briefly benched McNabb once or twice. 

Yeah but you're assuming they're dogging it.  I just think this team is aging, injury prone and lacks talent.  You can't coach that. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Yeah but you're assuming they're dogging it.  I just think this team is aging, injury prone and lacks talent.  You can't coach that. 

I agree with all of the above, but I also think a few players have dogged it or exaggerated/milked injuries. 

It's year 5, as we all know. It's not any coaches fault that Wentz is making horrible decisions constantly. His erratic play isn't within what a QB coach is teaching- it's when he extends plays trying to be Superman on a play where only Kryptonite is available, and he takes the Kryptonite, when he should know at year 5 NOT to. Even rookies don't take the kind of Kryptonite Wentz does. THAT is on Wentz, not a coach. Just my point of view.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

It's year 5, as we all know. It's not any coaches fault that Wentz is making horrible decisions constantly. His erratic play isn't within what a QB coach is teaching- it's when he extends plays trying to be Superman on a play where only Kryptonite is available, and he takes the Kryptonite, when he should know at year 5 NOT to. Even rookies don't take the kind of Kryptonite Wentz does. THAT is on Wentz, not a coach. Just my point of view.

100% agreed. 

• Like 1

One thing that has been uncovered over the years since Wentz was drafted is that he lets too many things affect his mental aspect of the game.  He doesn't show it, but he gets too high or too low after a game.  He lets game situations create pressure in his mind.  

It's obvious because as a game progresses that the eagles are losing, he starts to play better, because the pressure is relieved somewhat because no one expects them to come back.  He stops thinking and starts reacting instinctively.  But he doesn't do that earlier in the game......he presses and then makes bad decisions

He's a highly talented QB......and can be very dangerous.  But he has yet to control the mental aspect of the game and the effects on his performance.  And if he can't get that under control, one has to wonder if he'll ever be effective in a playoff game.  

When a QB like Wentz is having mechanical issues, it's best to let him keep playing....but when it's mental, he should be benched before it becomes too far gone and could completely destroy his confidence and mess up his career. He's clearly not having fun while playing....it's obvious on his face during the game.  And putting him in and out is guaranteed to mess him up completely......

I say he should be benched because I doubt that Pedersen knows how to game plan or play call to play to Wentz's strengths and get him into groove for the rest of the game.   

Some QBs handle the mental part easily and early in their career. Others, it takes time and recognition of the problem by both the player and the coaches.  And I don't see that with Wentz and Pedersen.  Pedersen will continue to let Wentz "work it out on the field"...and as the season created more pressure building to the playoffs,  Wentz will press harder but lack confidence in his ability and won't take the necessary chances that's necessary to win games.  Bad decisions are not same as taking chances.

The eagles will go as Wentz goes.....and right now, it's unpredictable.  His turnovers and poor decisions have created bad situations that have probably caused 1-2 losses.  And in current mindset, I doubt that improves over the 2nd half of the season.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Now he doesn’t care?   :wacko:

I do agree, and said in the blog Sunday night, he should have been benched for a series.    

He doesn't care about turnovers or at least is playing like that. So, yes in way, he doesn't care.

6 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

One thing that has been uncovered over the years since Wentz was drafted is that he lets too many things affect his mental aspect of the game.  He doesn't show it, but he gets too high or too low after a game.  He lets game situations create pressure in his mind.  

It's obvious because as a game progresses that the eagles are losing, he starts to play better, because the pressure is relieved somewhat because no one expects them to come back.  He stops thinking and starts reacting instinctively.  But he doesn't do that earlier in the game......he presses and then makes bad decisions

He's a highly talented QB......and can be very dangerous.  But he has yet to control the mental aspect of the game and the effects on his performance.  And if he can't get that under control, one has to wonder if he'll ever be effective in a playoff game.  

When a QB like Wentz is having mechanical issues, it's best to let him keep playing....but when it's mental, he should be benched before it becomes too far gone and could completely destroy his confidence and mess up his career. He's clearly not having fun while playing....it's obvious on his face during the game.  And putting him in and out is guaranteed to mess him up completely......

I say he should be benched because I doubt that Pedersen knows how to game plan or play call to play to Wentz's strengths and get him into groove for the rest of the game.   

Some QBs handle the mental part easily and early in their career. Others, it takes time and recognition of the problem by both the player and the coaches.  And I don't see that with Wentz and Pedersen.  Pedersen will continue to let Wentz "work it out on the field"...and as the season created more pressure building to the playoffs,  Wentz will press harder but lack confidence in his ability and won't take the necessary chances that's necessary to win games.  Bad decisions are not same as taking chances.

The eagles will go as Wentz goes.....and right now, it's unpredictable.  His turnovers and poor decisions have created bad situations that have probably caused 1-2 losses.  And in current mindset, I doubt that improves over the 2nd half of the season.

This is why I want Hurts in for a series or 2 when Wentz throws an INT or fumbles. I want Hurts to play and tap into Carson's competitive nature to do better.

With Foles he had a huge shadow looming behind him. But with Hurts being just a rookie, the shadow wouldn't be as bad and Wentz could overcome that pressure.

I'm hoping and praying that this bye week allows Carson to return to his late season form from last year. As you say, the Eagles season hinges on Carson.

11 minutes ago, Eaglefan78 said:

This is why I want Hurts in for a series or 2 when Wentz throws an INT or fumbles. I want Hurts to play and tap into Carson's competitive nature to do better.

With Foles he had a huge shadow looming behind him. But with Hurts being just a rookie, the shadow wouldn't be as bad and Wentz could overcome that pressure.

I'm hoping and praying that this bye week allows Carson to return to his late season form from last year. As you say, the Eagles season hinges on Carson.

The scary thing is Wentz has NEVER shown he can play within the scheme and within the game. He just CAN'T do the smart thing on a dead play, throw it away and live to play another down. He constantly thinks HE is the answer, that HE is going to make a superstar play on every and be the HERO, then turns the ball over- again, and again and again. There are NO signs he CAN stop doing this. NONE.

It's who Wentz IS. And who Wentz is- after 5 years is a QB who constantly hurts his team, who constantly turns the ball over, and who cannot or will not correct his mistakes. That kind of play has a place in the NFL- THE BENCH. The only one who can save Super Wentz is himself, and he may not even be ABLE to admit his flaws or correct them. HE thinks he is just fine. "That's how I play." 4 turnovers in ONE game?? Turnovers EVERY game?? Then you sit on the f ing bench, Super Wentz. I'm about to burn your  jersey.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

Very interesting point about mental issues.  Mental issues could be contributing to some of his ongoing poor mechanics, poor decision making, etc.  He's pressing, trying to make a play that's not there.  Trying to be the superman.  I question whether benching him will improve things.  Benching him is basically saying we have given up.  Holding a clipboard for a few games won't fix Carson, and it quite possibly will destroy him mentally.  

Big question in my mind: is it the coach?  Tom Brady doesn't need a QB coach to get him to work on his mechanics.  He seeks out people to help him.  He has a desire to get better and to be the best.  Does Carson want to improve?

3 hours ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Very interesting point about mental issues.  Mental issues could be contributing to some of his ongoing poor mechanics, poor decision making, etc.  He's pressing, trying to make a play that's not there.  Trying to be the superman.  I question whether benching him will improve things.  Benching him is basically saying we have given up.  Holding a clipboard for a few games won't fix Carson, and it quite possibly will destroy him mentally.  

Big question in my mind: is it the coach?  Tom Brady doesn't need a QB coach to get him to work on his mechanics.  He seeks out people to help him.  He has a desire to get better and to be the best.  Does Carson want to improve?

I think the damage comes when coaches bench a QB, then put him in again a couple games later and then pull him again....the yo-yo effect is what destroys confidence.  I mean the bench him and shut him down unless there is an emergency situation where Sudfeld and Hurts are injured.  But until then, let him figure his head out by watching. Maybe a little humbling will help him realize that he's not a savior.

AS far as coaching is concerned, I think the majority of this problem is in his head and that's really difficult for a position coach to iron out.  Pedersen though, could play call better to take advantage of Wentz's abilities early in the game to get him in a groove....but as I mentioned earlier, I doubt Pedersen is capable of that.....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Not that it would be a surprise that a starting qb in the NFL is arrogant.  But how do you know he is more than most?  How do you know his personality?  What has he shown, in how he communicates with the media and others that arrogance is a problem with him?  I’ll answer it for you, you don’t know.  You’re making ish up.   

It's an opinion but I would say that when you turn the ball over as much as he has this year and keep stating that you are going to continue to be aggressive is an indicator of a lack of self awareness. A big part of arrogance is not being able to step back and objectively look at your role in a problem. Wentz presents like a person saying "this is who I am, this is what I do and I just need to do it better." That's arrogant when the results of being who he is has been such poor play and decision making. Maybe arrogant is the wrong word but this is looking eerily similar to Vick in terms a being able to follow a game plan from the coach -- if every play has a secondary "I'll improvise and make a play" option based on the style a QB has learned because of their elite physical gifts, then it is hard for a coach to implement their system. Another thing I would point out that is a concern is how he approaches his chosen profession. Does he commit the way successful elite athletes do? It does not appear so base on the fact that bad footwork is still a topic and he appears to have regressed in his ability to read defenses pre-snap. Again, an opinion, but this looks a lot more "this is who I am, this is what I do" in terms dogs, guns, duck hunting and whatever else he spends his time on. Frankly, for $128MM the expectation is that the craft of being an elite QB is 99% of your focus and time. There is a big difference between playing like crap and saying "I'm going to get some hunting in over the bye" as if this will clear his mind and fix things vs. "I'm still struggling with footwork and some other issues that I know I have to work on and I'll be spending the bye focusing on these issues." The first is not very self-aware or accepting responsibility for one's crappy play. The second is self-aware and accepts responsibility for his crappy play.

It is possible to discern things from what people say. He defends his play and that defensiveness indicates arrogance. There is a big difference between "I need to get better but I am still going to be aggressive" and "I need to get better and I am going to spend time with the coaches taking a hard look at my game and how I can improve." The first is very self-centered. The second is self aware.

If you work with people who go through executive coaching processes, you learn that there are pretty much two types of people. People who are not self aware, don't really listen or accept that they have a lot to learn. These folks are a waste of money in terms of coaching. And then there are people who go into to the process with more humility and openness who grow in self-awareness and professional ability. These folks are worth the money. It kinda boils down to the "this is who I am and who I am is enough" vs. "This is who I am and I need to understand my limitations in order to succeed" camps. Right now Wentz sure acts like his is in the first camp and it worrisome. Folks with this disposition don't learn very well.

So, I am making stuff up. It is a lot of inference based on Wentz's play and what he says. It is opinion based on observation. Weren't the same issues pretty clear based on how Chip Kelly behaved?

Someone needs to be confrontational with him and challenge him to grow past where he is right now. Based on what he says, that growth vector should be in the direction from arrogance to humility.

One last thing, I'll save you the trouble. STFU.

• Like 1

There have been far too many instances in this organization of QBs getting paid and then loafing. It's almost like: "Come to Philly. Howie and Lurie are easy marks!"

Vick, Kolb, Mcnabb and now Wentz. The QB Factory nonsense is just fodder for the media and fans to swallow.

If they were serious about developing QBs regularly, they would absolutely make it mandatory that any franchise QB in this system or in this town spend some of those millions on getting intensive offseason training and development, I don't care if you have the skillset of Mahomes---who by the way had a father who was a pro athlete and I'm sure coaches his kid all the time.

9 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Lack of self awareness is fair.  I wouldn’t call that arrogance.  I still think it’s more that he spazzes out and tries to do too much.  Carson never seems like the person that isn’t committed to his job or profession.  Does he spread himself too thin?  Possible.  The criticism about hunting is not fair.  Plenty other pro players do a lot more and a lot worse in their own personal time.  I contend that is why some people don’t like him.  Bible thumper hunter.  I am neither.  

So don’t assume I’m defending that.  I am neither a fan of guns and definitely not hunting and I’m hardly a Bible thumper.   But that’s his taste.  Not mine.  I just think he needs a jolt to his system.  Benching him, briefly this past Sunday night was the perfect time.    You and I are pretty close on the same thinking.  Difference is my thoughts on coaching.  If he was great in 2017 and the coaches changed.  Then the new coaches need to figure this ish out.  Or they shouldn’t call themselves a QB factory.  

I agree.

21 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Or they shouldn’t call themselves a QB factory.  

They probably shouldn't do that anyway.

• Like 2

I know Press is now the new whipping boy, but is it really fair?

For the last couple of years Wentz has had no weapons on the outside. Everything went underneath and intermediate to the TEs and RBs mainly. He now doesnt really his safety nets of the TEs and RBs and is relying on the weapons he has outside, which are all shiny and new. He is pressing way too hard on these throws and trying to get chunk plays on every play it seems.

I would say more of this falls on Doug, but who knows. Wentz has the freedom (and has since day one) to change the play at the LOS. He could be changing the plays. Doug also could be adverse to calling a more conservative game because he has had to do that for the last couple of years and teams are starting to play more in the box because the Eagles had no speed on the outside. He could be calling these long plays to break up the defense somewhat to allow the underneath stuff more room, but Wentz is not executing.

What I hope is this - that this bye week Wentz takes a step back, evaluates everything and comes out firing for the rest of the year. They should be a little more healthy and the oline a little more solidified by then.

Poor mechanics maybe you can put partly on the coach, but I’m sorry I cannot blame anyone but Carson himself for the terrible ball security, poor decisions and holding the ball too long. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, nipples said:

Poor mechanics maybe you can put partly on the coach, but I’m sorry I cannot blame anyone but Carson himself for the terrible ball security, poor decisions and holding the ball too long. 

And what is Press doing about it to help his qb