The coaches are the problem

97is

The defense is in shambles because we have let talent walk away for nothing in favor of schwartz guys.  As usual zero turnovers, zero regard for feild position, other team, who averages 18 points a game minus their star, marching up and down the field with ease.  The offese is a predictable joke and literally the only way they can put up points is Wentz playing hero ball.   You saw what it looks like when Wentz just runs the offense. Every goddam yard is a struggle and it's brutal to watch.  Need to move on from pederson regardless of what happens the rest of the year. We haven't developed any talent in the past 3 years, just watched guys get progressively worse till they go somewhere else with real coaching

• Like 3

Yes the coaching and schemes are horrible but you can't win in this league with no talent.  You can only build a team thru the draft and Howie is completely clueless.  The crash is here.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, weko said:

Yes the coaching and schemes are horrible but you can't win in this league with no talent.  You can only build a team thru the draft and Howie is completely clueless.  The crash is here.

In order for there to be any chance to remove Howie from his role in talent evaluation/acquisition, the crash is necessary.  Without it highly doubt he goes anywhere any time soon.  Because of that, I welcome the crash.  :ph34r:

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, time2rock said:

In order for there to be any chance to remove Howie from his role in talent evaluation/acquisition, the crash is necessary.  Without it highly doubt he goes anywhere any time soon.  Because of that, I welcome the crash.  :ph34r:

I welcome any and all improvement. Whether it be from Howie, Doug, Wentz, JJAW, Clement, Hargrave, Maddox, Gerry,  etc... or someone new, it makes no difference to me. I'm not going to root for continual failure to enact change. Learn, grow, win. 

So, to summarize, all we need to start winning is: somebody to find better players, the actual better players, and better coaches.

My goodness.  I think we're on to something here.  Let's see if we can get in touch with Jeff Lurie.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 97is said:

Need to move on from pederson regardless of what happens the rest of the year. 

I like Doug as a person so I hate to say you're right, but you're right.

In an attempt to save his job I'd suggest throwing Hurts in there because Wentz is going to be Wentz.

There's no way Pedersen or Roseman are going anywhere, regardless of a crash this year.  It's still way too soon after the SB win.... Lurie is a loyal and very patient guy.  It's going to take a few seasons of sub 6 win seasons for Pedersen and Roseman to get fired.

I know that's the typical philly fan and media response to this season.  But that simply isn't going to happen.  

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

There's no way Pedersen or Roseman are going anywhere, regardless of a crash this year.  It's still way too soon after the SB win.... Lurie is a loyal and very patient guy.  It's going to take a few seasons of sub 6 win seasons for Pedersen and Roseman to get fired.

I know that's the typical philly fan and media response to this season.  But that simply isn't going to happen.  

It will be 3 seasons removed at the end of this one since the SB.  The team has been trending downhill since,  with each season the team getting progressively worse. That trajectory will seem to continue into next season. 

• Like 2

Yup. If Schwartz had such a big hand in putting together the roster on defense, he screwed up. The secondary is in shambles, they had to throw a big contract at Slay, and everybody else is no good. LBs are awful. D-line talent is admittedly good, but Cox isn't getting any younger and they're having trouble staying healthy, as is the rest of the roster.  And who's idea was it to go without an Offense coordinator, essentially making Doug OC and HC at the same time? This setup isn't working.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, birdman#12 said:

Exactly. It is not only a Super Bowl win in 2017, but they also made the playoffs the following two years. Regardless of what people think of those playoff runs, they still made it there and that is huge deal for owners.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, time2rock said:

I agree.

1 hour ago, Swimm said:

It will be 3 seasons removed at the end of this one since the SB.  The team has been trending downhill since,  with each season the team getting progressively worse. That trajectory will seem to continue into next season. 

Kelce will probably retire after the season.  Peters will be gone.  Our best players another year older, Cox, BG, Ertz (probably traded), Johnson, Brooks.  Very little good young talent on this roster outside of Sanders, Goedert.  The decline from here will be brutal and without a competent talent evaluator we'll be stuck with waiver wire castoffs.  Lurie has to awaken from his gold standard slumber and recognize Howie hasn't a clue.  We have to hire a new talent evaluator this off season or we're looking at a bleak future starting right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swimm said:

But Lurie is aware if the injury plague that they've had over the last 3 seasons.  More than any other team.  Now, to fans and media, that doesn't matter, but, as I said, Lurie is a patient guy and it's going to take alot more for him to fire Roseman and Pedersen.

Plus, you can't predict what will come next season.  Too many factors in free agency, the cap, the draft and trades.......some teams have turned it around in a 1 or 2 seasons.

I always said this team will go as Wentz goes.....and right now, he's screwed up in the head and it's effecting his physical game.  And he's not "inspiring" the offense and the team.  He's playing scared and playing "not to make a mistake".

This team is not as devoid of talent as many on here state.  Yeah, they have some holes....but talent alone does not win championships.  And while I think coaching needs to improve, the QB, whoever that is, has to lead, inspire and give the rest of the team confidence that they can win.....right now, Wentz simply isn't doing any of that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

Exactly. It is not only a Super Bowl win in 2017, but they also made the playoffs the following two years. Regardless of what people think of those playoff runs, they still made it there and that is huge deal for owners.

Right.....and they made those playoffs with a LOAD of injuries.......which is a statement on what kind of depth this team had, which most fans and media want to ignore.

Playoffs are a big deal to owners, regardless of how they got there.

5 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

But Lurie is aware if the injury plague that they've had over the last 3 seasons.  More than any other team.  Now, to fans and media, that doesn't matter, but, as I said, Lurie is a patient guy and it's going to take alot more for him to fire Roseman and Pedersen.

Plus, you can't predict what will come next season.  Too many factors in free agency, the cap, the draft and trades.......some teams have turned it around in a 1 or 2 seasons.

I always said this team will go as Wentz goes.....and right now, he's screwed up in the head and it's effecting his physical game.  And he's not "inspiring" the offense and the team.  He's playing scared and playing "not to make a mistake".

This team is not as devoid of talent as many on here state.  Yeah, they have some holes....but talent alone does not win championships.  And while I think coaching needs to improve, the QB, whoever that is, has to lead, inspire and give the rest of the team confidence that they can win.....right now, Wentz simply isn't doing any of that.

In your opinion why do you think Wentz has not been able to inspire?

I know it is not the BS fan theories of being married and having a kid but something is missing here.

I do have two theories - I think that Ertz is Wentz go to guy on and off the field. I think that the contract negotiations with Ertz effected his play, which also effected Wentz and it has tumbled downhill.

The second stems back to the Washington game - the offense was humming and then Wentz threw 2 picks. He then started to hold on to the ball too long and then started to get sacked. I dont think he ever mentally got right from that game. I also think that the playcalling has not been on par with what Wentz needs right now to get out of the slump.

I mean when was the last time Wentz threw a quick hitting slant?

1 hour ago, pallidrone said:

You may well be right but it's still like being the tallest midget err little person. The NFC East hasn't been good for a while now.

I can simplify this a bit

Coaching sucks - Petersen's fault - Howie/Jeffy- Hired Dougy - so their fault

We lack a young talented core, bad roster management, bad drafting - Howie's fault - Howie hired by Jeffy.....

Looks like we have a GM/ Ownership issue. 

• Haha 1

Maybe the coaches are a problem but they are not the problem. 

Maybe this and that are a problem, but they are not the problem. 

Why do we lust so fervently for scapegoats and simplistic narratives? 

This team is not going to be very good until it is healthier and has less wasted salary cap. It doesn't matter who the whatever is. They gambled on squeezing another year out of their veterans, it was a reasonable gamble, it didn't work out. Too bad, sucks to be us. It happens that way sometimes.

Dry your tears, though, ladies, there's another game next week.

3 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

Hopefully not, but Lurie's been different since the Super Bowl. He seems to be listening to the fans more. Hopefully he's realized that it was a mistake and he'll get back to his old self again. 

1 hour ago, pallidrone said:

In your opinion why do you think Wentz has not been able to inspire?

I know it is not the BS fan theories of being married and having a kid but something is missing here.

I do have two theories - I think that Ertz is Wentz go to guy on and off the field. I think that the contract negotiations with Ertz effected his play, which also effected Wentz and it has tumbled downhill.

The second stems back to the Washington game - the offense was humming and then Wentz threw 2 picks. He then started to hold on to the ball too long and then started to get sacked. I dont think he ever mentally got right from that game. I also think that the playcalling has not been on par with what Wentz needs right now to get out of the slump.

I mean when was the last time Wentz threw a quick hitting slant?

I think because he's doubting himself.....and that's leads to thinking too much and when a QB thinks too much, as opposed to acting instinctively, EVERYTHING slows down except the game itself.  His reads and his decision making slow to a point where a receiver may have a small separation window, but wentz will "see" that he's covered.  That leads to holding the ball too long, or train to "aim" the ball.......and he's playing scared.  And the rest of the offense and the team can see that he's playing scared..,....and that doesn't inspire guys nor does it give them confidence that they can win every game.  

The one thing none of us noticed about Wentz because of all his physical talent is that he lets the game get into his head.  Mistakes are magnified, turnovers are crushing to him.  He doesn't seem to be able to forget adversity.......he puts enormous pressure on himself even to the point of taking away his competitiveness.  He's more worried about making a mistake then to take the attack to the opposing team.

How many times do we see him double clutch?  Shuffle his feet?  Overthrow open receivers?  His doubt and fear are overcoming his aggressiveness.  His head is a mess.

The coaches are an issue. The roster construction is an issue. The contracts on this team are an issue. The players are an issue. 

The offensive scheme sucks and so does the QB.

The defense lacks elite talent and difference makers and the scheme relies upon certain play makers at certain positions. 

This whole thing needs tearing down. 

• Like 1

as an OC and play caller, Doug is getting his a$$ handed to him on a regular basis. this is quite evident in the first half of EVERY game. we come out of the gate looking like sheet EACH week. combine this with an overall lack of attention to detail and a Schwartz led defense and you get 3-5-1. we lost to some horrible teams and tied the fricken Bengals at home. aside from these obvious malfunctions, our QB looks like he is totally lost even when he isn’t running for his life. add sloppy play and stupid penalties and you have all the earmarks of a poorly coached team. 

other coaches must be laughing out loud at Doug when they look at his "team” on tape. say what you will about the talent, you’ll get no argument from me. but this team isn’t being led very well either.

4 minutes ago, wyote said:

Hopefully not, but Lurie's been different since the Super Bowl. He seems to be listening to the fans more. Hopefully he's realized that it was a mistake and he'll get back to his old self again. 

If Lurie listens to the fans about the GM and/or the head coach, the eagles will end up being like the cowpies.  I'm not going to defend Roseman here anymore, but one thing I will say is that absolutely NO team in the league could have endured the injuries that this team has had over the last 3 seasons and made the playoffs.  That's a testament to the depth on this team.  

They need some changes....no doubt.  But a big change could be as simple as replacing Wentz.  I know that sounds oversimplified, but Wentz's constant struggles have worn on the offense and the rest of the team, they clearly have lost confidence in him.

• Thanks 1

IMO coaching is a huge issue. Every phase of the game is a dumpster fire right now.

The offense is stale, the play calling sucks, the execution sucks and the players seem to be half assing it. They can't pick up the simplest of blitzes. Even Kelce can't snap the damn ball good right now. There are plays with WR's running the same routes or the route tree is a mess leading the secondary all to the same area. It's charlie brown esque.

The defense is a sieve. There's no reason Daniel Jones should be looking like Lamar Jackson FFS. Even when they make a stop it's only after giving up 30-40 yards of field position. The dline is way overpriced and overrated. Gym shorts scheme is awful.

The special teams haven't been special in years. The returners can't even fair catch the damn ball they act like it's a fricking hot potato and let it roll inside the 20 every damn punt.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, EaglesfanfromND said:

IMO coaching is a huge issue. Every phase of the game is a dumpster fire right now.

Coaching is a major issue. The coaches haven't improved a player in I don't know how long. I mean Stoutland does sure but what other positions have we seen player growth at?