The coaches are the problem

97is

The simple answer is there is no aspect of this team that is blameless. There is a talent need everywhere. The coaches aren’t game planning or calling good games on game day. And there is a talent deficiency. And to top it off, Lurie is often slow to make a needed change, Chip aside. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, weko said:

Kelce will probably retire after the season.  Peters will be gone.  Our best players another year older, Cox, BG, Ertz (probably traded), Johnson, Brooks.  Very little good young talent on this roster outside of Sanders, Goedert.  The decline from here will be brutal and without a competent talent evaluator we'll be stuck with waiver wire castoffs.  Lurie has to awaken from his gold standard slumber and recognize Howie hasn't a clue.  We have to hire a new talent evaluator this off season or we're looking at a bleak future starting right now.

Are you sure memes | quickmeme

• Like 1

True, the coaching doesn't seem good.  As Dan Orlovsky said Doug had 2 weeks to prepare an O to face the VaGiants and this is what he came up with.  Wentz didn't play hero ball this game and we saw what the O is supposed to look like based on the play calling.  It was bad.  Again, Orlovsky pointed out that we didn't roll Wentz out of the pocket until there was 7 minutes left in the 3rd QTR, we did it 2x in a row and picked up 40 yards then never went back to it.  And the VaGiants are the 26th rated D on plays where the QB rolls out of the pocket.  So you have a weakness on the opposing D and a QB who excels in that particular situation and you only run 2 friggin plays to put your strength vs their weakness?  I think Doug the play caller and designer is not good.  I think Reich made him look good by giving him better play designs so dialing up a good play was easier under Reich. 

However, the team is in this poor situation right now because the last 3 years have been an institutional failure from top to bottom.  From the owner, to the FO, to the coaches and to the players.  Lurie has set a culture within the organization that there's no clear chain of command that it's more of a collective effort.  This is why we have an OC by committee instead of an actual OC.  Howie has put this team in cap Hell by kicking the can down the road too many times on aging/declining players (this is the big difference between Banner and Howie is that Banner let vet players walk a year before their decline where Howie hangs on to them) and his draft picks, especially the higher round ones, haven't produced what they should have.  Not all have been bad, but way more misses than hits.  Doug insists on being the de facto OC when he needs someone like Reich to make him look good.  Gym Shortz is overly stubborn and instead of tweaking his scheme to play to his players' strengths or to better match the type of players he has, he continues to roll out the same scheme that won't work well with the quality of players he has.  To me, that's the difference between an average coach and a good coach and Shortz is average at best.  He's not the worst DC and we've seen worse (Billy Davis, anyone?), but he's just not good enough and any clever OC will scorch him. 

And the players are guilty as well.  We have the most expensive DL in the NFL yet they certainly play more middle of the pack than an elite unit.  We have a QB that doesn't seem to have his head on straight at the moment for whatever reason (does he feel stifled by the play calling, doesn't trust his rotating OL, has the ghost of Foles earning SB MVP in his mind, puts too much pressure on himself to carry the team, etc.) and players who fail to execute simple plays like making a friggin fair catch or not continually biting on an RPO so the QB can run down the field without being touched before making a long gain or a TD. 

It all starts with Lurie.  Until he can see and admit there's a problem then he can't make changes to fix the problem.  First problem is establish a clear chain of command.  Too many people in the organization with job titles which makes them all sound equal.  Like Duce being 'Assistant Head Coach'.  That's F'ing BS.  Or not having a clear cut OC.  This is sloppy management from the top on down.  As long as Lurie allows things to continue this way then everything else is the fruits of the poisonous tree.

Nothing will change in the off-season. Doug and Carson will be back, and maybe if we are lucky, Schwartz will be gone.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, eglz1 said:

You may well be right but it's still like being the tallest midget err little person. The NFC East hasn't been good for a while now.

The freshest 💩 division

A few weeks ago Doug was talking about Mailata taking a step back to see the game from a different perspective, much like Agholor. Well he needs to heed his own words and hand off play calling duties to Duce or someone and see the game from another angle. 

51 minutes ago, ShutDownDB said:

A few weeks ago Doug was talking about Mailata taking a step back to see the game from a different perspective, much like Agholor. Well he needs to heed his own words and hand off play calling duties to Duce or someone and see the game from another angle. 

I said this in The Blog when someone sarcastically mentioned Hightower could get more perspective on the bench, that Doug should spend a game sitting in the owner's box watching to help him gain some perspective.  He definitely needs it.

10 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

There's no way Pedersen or Roseman are going anywhere, regardless of a crash this year.  It's still way too soon after the SB win.... Lurie is a loyal and very patient guy.  It's going to take a few seasons of sub 6 win seasons for Pedersen and Roseman to get fired.

I know that's the typical philly fan and media response to this season.  But that simply isn't going to happen.  

Lurie wasn’t very patient with Chip.

5 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

Lurie wasn’t very patient with Chip.

Chip ruined the Christmas party though. Doug won't do that.  Chip also displaced Howie and Doug is comfortably ensconced under Howie.

4 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

Chip ruined the Christmas party though. Doug won't do that.  Chip also displaced Howie and Doug is comfortably ensconced under Howie.

I was a little surprised Chip got fired so quickly. Once the league figured out his offense, he was done. It was just a gimmick college offense. He also got rid of a lot of talent (Foles, Shady, DJax, & Maclin) and got nothing in return. 

I’m just hoping Lurie loses his patience with Howie. He is supposed to be a good cap manager and we’re in cap hell. Plus, he’s a terrible talent evaluator. He has no business making football decisions. I think Doug can win with talent and good coordinators but he’s got to make the necessary coaching changes. 

When you know the defense sucks, what do you do? Keep them off the field by pounding the rock and taking air out the ball. Miles sanders 6 carries in the first half? Wtf?!

7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Coaching is a major issue. The coaches haven't improved a player in I don't know how long. I mean Stoutland does sure but what other positions have we seen player growth at?

The linebackers are better than I thought they would be.

1 hour ago, wyote said:

The linebackers are better than I thought they would be.

Really? I mean... I don't see it bud. Ok perhaps better than expected but still pretty damn bad. They are an issue like we all expected them to be. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Really? I mean... I don't see it bud. Ok perhaps better than expected but still pretty damn bad. They are an issue like we all expected them to be. 

Not nearly as big of an issue as I expected. 

The WRs have also been better than I would've expected, given the injuries. 

1 minute ago, wyote said:

Not nearly as big of an issue as I expected. 

The WRs have also been better than I would've expected, given the injuries. 

Have they? I mean firstly we say given the injuries, we should have expected the injuries to DeSean and Alshon. We should have expected nothing from them. And outside of that have the WRs been great? Reagor looks like he's being misused, he's flashed but no more. Ward has been what we know Ward is. And they lucked in to Fulgham.

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Have they? I mean firstly we say given the injuries, we should have expected the injuries to DeSean and Alshon. We should have expected nothing from them. And outside of that have the WRs been great? Reagor looks like he's being misused, he's flashed but no more. Ward has been what we know Ward is. And they lucked in to Fulgham.

Did I say they'd been "great?" 

Stop lying about what I actually wrote in order to try to justify your whining. 

29 minutes ago, wyote said:

Well I don't really see what your point is then? WR was an issue going in to the season and to be honest it's been an issue during the season so no real change on expectation.

31 minutes ago, wyote said:

You said better than expected so I guess if you expected them to be crap, you're ok.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Perforator said:

You said better than expected so I guess if you expected them to be crap, you're ok.

Absolutely. Apparently the bar is that low now. If we expect them to be awful and they are just bad, or we expect them to be bad and they are nearly OK then that's good enough.

18 hours ago, time2rock said:

In order for there to be any chance to remove Howie from his role in talent evaluation/acquisition, the crash is necessary.  Without it highly doubt he goes anywhere any time soon.  Because of that, I welcome the crash.  :ph34r:

I would agree. He's the only constant through multiple regimes. Same out come, time to go Howie.

48 minutes ago, Perforator said:

That's exactly what I expected, especially when Reagor and DJax went down. Who thought we had "great" receivers at that point? Or even good ones?

With Ertz gone as well, and Goedert out or limited, and what a mess the OL has been, and it's almost amazing that we can complete a forward pass against an NFL defense.

23 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Absolutely. Apparently the bar is that low now. If we expect them to be awful and they are just bad, or we expect them to be bad and they are nearly OK then that's good enough.

No one said "good enough." 

"Better than expected" was what we were talking about. 

Can you seriously not tell the difference between those two things? 

32 minutes ago, wyote said:

No one said "good enough." 

"Better than expected" was what we were talking about. 

Can you seriously not tell the difference between those two things? 

Of course I can. The point is being lost here. My point was that we expected those positions to be bad and they have been. Whether they've been better than we expected or not they've still been bad. 

I for one am sick of the Eagles actually moving the ball finally and one or the other happens. They either put in Hurts for his arbitrary stupid play or they give up the run, pass three straight times and punt. 

30 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I for one am sick of the Eagles actually moving the ball finally and one or the other happens. They either put in Hurts for his arbitrary stupid play or they give up the run, pass three straight times and punt. 

There are just so many issues with this team. From players to coaches to roster construction.