The coaches are the problem

97is

6 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

Lurie wasn’t very patient with Chip.

Not comparable....Chip didn’t win a Super Bowl & only made playoffs once during his tenure in Philly. Doug has only missed playoffs once in his coaching tenure in Philly. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

There are just so many issues with this team. From players to coaches to roster construction.

4th and 10 yet we keep going for it regardless of the point in the game. All of these moves worked before because Carson was a better player then. He’s not the same guy and Doug needs to be questioned for not realizing that. This QB coach combo is finished. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dwide Schrude said:

Not comparable....Chip didn’t win a Super Bowl & only made playoffs once during his tenure in Philly. Doug has only missed playoffs once in his coaching tenure in Philly. 

All valid, and although Chip didn’t really get much of an opportunity after his second 10 win season I think he rubbed enough people the wrong way in the building that enough was enough. I heard back then the last straw was Chip blowing off the company Christmas party. Lurie expects everyone to attend and Chip said no thanks. 

I'd be surprised if Lurie fires Doug. If he does, to me it would indicate that he is listening to the fans too much. In the past he understood that even great coaches don't have unbroken series of winning seasons. 

Whether he fires anyone -- Doug or Howie or Jim or anyone else -- or doesn't, it'll be based on information that none of us have. This is TATE, and nothing more. 

22 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

All valid, and although Chip didn’t really get much of an opportunity after his second 10 win season I think he rubbed enough people the wrong way in the building that enough was enough. I heard back then the last straw was Chip blowing off the company Christmas party. Lurie expects everyone to attend and Chip said no thanks. 

That’s surprising if that was it. But Shipping off star players for no real reason, absolutely despised by the entire fan base, and lost the locker room. The writing was on the wall for him. 
Doug hasn’t reached that point, yet. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, pallidrone said:

In your opinion why do you think Wentz has not been able to inspire?

I know it is not the BS fan theories of being married and having a kid but something is missing here.

I do have two theories - I think that Ertz is Wentz go to guy on and off the field. I think that the contract negotiations with Ertz effected his play, which also effected Wentz and it has tumbled downhill.

The second stems back to the Washington game - the offense was humming and then Wentz threw 2 picks. He then started to hold on to the ball too long and then started to get sacked. I dont think he ever mentally got right from that game. I also think that the playcalling has not been on par with what Wentz needs right now to get out of the slump.

I mean when was the last time Wentz threw a quick hitting slant?

I honestly think it dates back to the 2017 season. He’s playing at an MVP level, is gaining fame, being viewed as the next face of the NFL. Only to be hit with a Season ending injury. Then you watch your backup come in and bring the city it’s first ever Super Bowl win in great style. That was supposed to be you as the franchise & the future. That had to sting. Then you have talk that your backup should be "the guy” going forward, even though Wentz put up an incredible season. He doesn’t get the full offseason, he returns early season, has an up and down performance until being hurt again. The famed backup is back in with timing and possible magic to make a possible run at the title again. Seasons over, but now he gets his leadership questioned in a major story drop by Philly Media. That story is going everywhere. Next season rolls around and there’s plenty to be excited about. He’s healthy and wasn’t on sidelines for off-season reps. The backup is gone. He has an exciting young core of guys to grow with and Desean’s return . But things don’t start out good. Another report comes out from an anonymous Eagle criticizing Wentz, that story also makes the rounds in NFL media. His playmakers get bombarded with injuries, he’s forced to play with practice squad guys against NFL defenses. Tough ask. Still puts a quality statistical season & makes playoffs, only to get hurt again and leave playoff game early. Draft rolls around, your team drafts a QB in 2nd round to be your new backup a year after signing mega contract, back to looking over your shoulder. Then this season he’s had his 8th? OL combination & working with young/inexperienced WR, now getting talked about as one of worst QB in NFL and being benched.

that can be a lot of mental wear and tear on a guy. During all of that he has to deal with our intense fan base and media. I’m not making excuses because I really don’t feel bad, you’re making millions to play a game. There’s no sugarcoating how bad Wentz has been this season. But it’s how I perceive the question as to what’s led to the Wentz we’ve watched this year. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dwide Schrude said:

I honestly think it dates back to the 2017 season. He’s playing at an MVP level, is gaining fame, being viewed as the next face of the NFL. Only to be hit with a Season ending injury. Then you watch your backup come in and bring the city it’s first ever Super Bowl win in great style. That was supposed to be you as the franchise & the future. That had to sting. Then you have talk that your backup should be "the guy” going forward, even though Wentz put up an incredible season. He doesn’t get the full offseason, he returns early season, has an up and down performance until being hurt again. The famed backup is back in with timing and possible magic to make a possible run at the title again. Seasons over, but now he gets his leadership questioned in a major story drop by Philly Media. That story is going everywhere. Next season rolls around and there’s plenty to be excited about. He’s healthy and wasn’t on sidelines for off-season reps. The backup is gone. He has an exciting young core of guys to grow with and Desean’s return . But things don’t start out good. Another report comes out from an anonymous Eagle criticizing Wentz, that story also makes the rounds in NFL media. His playmakers get bombarded with injuries, he’s forced to play with practice squad guys against NFL defenses. Tough ask. Still puts a quality statistical season & makes playoffs, only to get hurt again and leave playoff game early. Draft rolls around, your team drafts a QB in 2nd round to be your new backup a year after signing mega contract, back to looking over your shoulder. Then this season he’s had his 8th? OL combination & working with young/inexperienced WR, now getting talked about as one of worst QB in NFL and being benched.

that can be a lot of mental wear and tear on a guy. During all of that he has to deal with our intense fan base and media. I’m not making excuses because I really don’t feel bad, you’re making millions to play a game. There’s no sugarcoating how bad Wentz has been this season. But it’s how I perceive the question as to what’s led to the Wentz we’ve watched this year. 

Perfectly stated. I’ve echoed similar sentiments, and it’s a lot for anyone to take in. I’m not crying for him, but he has to learn to battle through it. 

3 hours ago, wyote said:

I'd be surprised if Lurie fires Doug. If he does, to me it would indicate that he is listening to the fans too much. In the past he understood that even great coaches don't have unbroken series of winning seasons. 

Whether he fires anyone -- Doug or Howie or Jim or anyone else -- or doesn't, it'll be based on information that none of us have. This is TATE, and nothing more. 

You are putting too much stock in this. If Lurie fires Doug it’s due to internal reasons we might not know about and to the performance on the field. The Eagles don’t care a dime about TATE. 

3 hours ago, Dwide Schrude said:

That’s surprising if that was it. But Shipping off star players for no real reason, absolutely despised by the entire fan base, and lost the locker room. The writing was on the wall for him. 
Doug hasn’t reached that point, yet. 

Chip sealed his own fate when he went against Howie. I think Chip wanted a different guy running the system, but he was forced to do that job. Chip wanted Howie out but I don’t think he wanted all the power. He got forced to take all the power and was woefully unprepared to do so. In any case I won’t shed a tear Chip Kelly. 

11 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

That's a different situation.  In Kelly's 3rd season, after missing the playoffs the prior year, Lurie gave him complete control over personnel.  He then gutted the team of talent and proceeded to go 6--9 with the team was toxic with a lot of dissension and hatred of Kelly.

That's not the case with Roseman.  Roseman has widely been considered one of the top GMs in the NFL over the past few years.  He brought the team out of Kelly's sh-- hole and won a super bowl.  And they been competitive over the last couple seasons with a ridiculous amount of injuries.  And Lurie knows this....and he's going to give Roseman a lot more leeway than Chip Kelly.

4 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

You are putting too much stock in this. If Lurie fires Doug it’s due to internal reasons we might not know about and to the performance on the field. The Eagles don’t care a dime about TATE. 

I don't know what you think I wrote. 

8 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

4th and 10 yet we keep going for it regardless of the point in the game. All of these moves worked before because Carson was a better player then. He’s not the same guy and Doug needs to be questioned for not realizing that. This QB coach combo is finished. 

Thing is, what Carson was doing was always going to be unsustainable. 3rd and Wentz was not a game plan, it was magic and mostly that was 2017. A magic year for most. 

8 hours ago, wyote said:

Sure, it’s all speculation. I think Lurie has to look at the state of the franchise and the direction the team is going. If you look at that you first have to look at Howie. The salary cap has been completely mismanaged. Not my opinion, just a fact. We are way over the cap next year and the only way to get under is by gutting the team. Young talent- the team has very little good, young, cheap talent. You have to look at Howie for that too. Then you look at Doug. How is he developing Wentz? Obviously, not very good, he’s totally regressed. Is the team getting better. No, week after week it’s another train wreck. I think Lurie has to figure out if he wants more of the same or make a change. 

1 hour ago, Road to Victory said:

Sure, it’s all speculation. I think Lurie has to look at the state of the franchise and the direction the team is going. If you look at that you first have to look at Howie. The salary cap has been completely mismanaged. Not my opinion, just a fact. We are way over the cap next year and the only way to get under is by gutting the team. Young talent- the team has very little good, young, cheap talent. You have to look at Howie for that too. Then you look at Doug. How is he developing Wentz? Obviously, not very good, he’s totally regressed. Is the team getting better. No, week after week it’s another train wreck. I think Lurie has to figure out if he wants more of the same or make a change. 

Basically everyone's angry that they didn't start rebuilding last year. 

They tried to squeeze one two many years out of some of the contracts with older players. It was a gamble and it didn't work, but it seemed like a reasonable gamble. 

Now they rebuild. 

The fans can have temper tantrums and demand scapegoats' heads on platters, but hopefully people who make decisions will ignore the fans. I wish the players could ignore us too, but unfortunately they can't. It is what it is. 

On 11/16/2020 at 11:30 AM, 97is said:

The defense is in shambles because we have let talent walk away for nothing in favor of schwartz guys.  As usual zero turnovers, zero regard for feild position, other team, who averages 18 points a game minus their star, marching up and down the field with ease.  The offese is a predictable joke and literally the only way they can put up points is Wentz playing hero ball.   You saw what it looks like when Wentz just runs the offense. Every goddam yard is a struggle and it's brutal to watch.  Need to move on from pederson regardless of what happens the rest of the year. We haven't developed any talent in the past 3 years, just watched guys get progressively worse till they go somewhere else with real coaching

On 11/16/2020 at 5:24 PM, toolg said:

Yup. If Schwartz had such a big hand in putting together the roster on defense, he screwed up. The secondary is in shambles, they had to throw a big contract at Slay, and everybody else is no good. LBs are awful. D-line talent is admittedly good, but Cox isn't getting any younger and they're having trouble staying healthy, as is the rest of the roster.  And who's idea was it to go without an Offense coordinator, essentially making Doug OC and HC at the same time? This setup isn't working.

I've said before, I'm a Schwartz fan, but it may be time for the Eagles and Schwartz to move on.

But he's done a good job here for most of his years and I'm just not buying that he has substantial control over personnel decision. Simple fact is that most of the salary cap and most of the high draft picks over the past 5 years have gone on the O. Yet the O sucks and the D is okay. 

We are currently 11th in yards and 16th in points on D. The O being awful hasn't helped (27th and 24th). Can anyone point to a D in this league which is better with such a lack of investment?

Maybe Schwartz's time is up, he's not been at his best this year by any means, but he is the least of our problems. Don't expect a new DC to come in and turn it round with this lack of talent.

• Like 1

Hard for me to believe this organization ever won an actual Super Bowl. Seriously. Everyone forgot how to coach, practice, draft, hit on free agents, and play- like overnight. It's like the stopped working hard and thought they could coast after that SB win. The Patriots don't do that. Pittsburgh doesn't do that. Consistent, year to year winning teams do NOT do what the Eagles have done. Blow it up, start all over again. This garbage is toast. There will be no more miracle finishes for this team- they are DONE.

Go ahead Eagles, make a fool of me and  my post and win out.... I welcome it.

25 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

Hard for me to believe this organization ever won an actual Super Bowl. Seriously. Everyone forgot how to coach, practice, draft, hit on free agents, and play- like overnight. It's like the stopped working hard and thought they could coast after that SB win. The Patriots don't do that. Pittsburgh doesn't do that. Consistent, year to year winning teams do NOT do what the Eagles have done. Blow it up, start all over again. This garbage is toast. There will be no more miracle finishes for this team- they are DONE.

Go ahead Eagles, make a fool of me and  my post and win out.... I welcome it.

Well, if they don't, I'm sure you'll feel swell about being right. 

Agree completely with the title here.  Doug and his staff have had issues this season.  Whole-sale changes in mid-season would be highly  damaging and unwise for the organization.  More importantly is to see if they can make some adjustments in mid-season to at least stop the slide and stabilize the situation.  If by chance, they make it to the playoff, great!  Otherwise, just play for a better position for next season. 

On 11/18/2020 at 12:56 AM, wyote said:

Well, if they don't, I'm sure you'll feel swell about being right. 

I don't want to be right here- I want to be badly wrong and put to shame for even thinking it. You aren't reading me right.

On 11/16/2020 at 10:43 PM, Road to Victory said:

Doug doesn't come off as having Chip's ego.

Coaches are a serious problem, along with Howie of course.

Special teams have been below average at best. Offensive play calling terrible. Defensive schemes horrendous.

Last game, six of their ten drives started in their own 17 yard line. It took to the third quarter for Wentz to have a designed roll out passing attempt. Why? He is better on the move and it helps take some pressure off the Oline which was terrible up the middle. Wentz wasn't good with the accuracy, but the pressure was coming up the middle which caused a few throws to be high. Defense had the bye week to plan and yet they still let Daniel Jones basically do whatever he wanted.

There isn’t one problem with this team. The list is massive, but if I had to narrow it all down if falls on the man who built it all. This falls on Howie and his poor drafts, poor contracts, keeping players too long, and his way of finding injury prone players on all levels of his poor decision making. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

There isn’t one problem with this team. The list is massive, but if I had to narrow it all down if falls on the man who built it all. This falls on Howie and his poor drafts, poor contracts, keeping players too long, and his way of finding injury prone players on all levels of his poor decision making. 

Bingo.