Jalen Hurts

philafan4o8

3 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

They are not the same player. One of them is a passer that can run, the other is a runner that can throw. There is a big difference.

They're both Dak Prescott. Watch tape. Fields has a stronger arm and a bit more polish, but they're very similar. Both like to tuck and run. Both can get sloppy with footwork. Fields (Hurts, too) has shown instances of struggling with blitzing. Fields is a better prospect, but I think it's funny that people think there's a major difference between the two. There isn't.

4 hours ago, nipples said:

If that is true then they need to be starting Hurts immediately. 

I'm partially kidding. I think Fields does have some higher upside.

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

Reporter noted to Doug that having Hurts in the defense knows it's a run. Why not take Wentz out instead of fool no one with him at WR, utilize the spot for an actual WR and have Hurts throw sometimes? 

Doug said yeah that's a good idea, we'll look into that.

Yeah he also said early on it seemed like we were getting 10-12 plays with Hurts in and not we get nothing.

Hmm its almost like defenses have figured it out... It is shocking how stupid NFL coaches can be sometimes. Either keep the kid on the bench or let him run a series, stop trying to be cute.

• Like 1

Hurts was a HORRIBLE draft pick.  We needed that resource to be used on a position that would have been useful.  It was predictable that the pick would mess with Wentz's head.  It was predictable that using him as a gimmick player would fail.  It was predictable that it would mess with Hurts' career as well.  In fact, I predicted all of this, and people attacked me for saying so.  No one wins from this.  It damaged the team.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Swoop said:

Fields and Hurts are the same player.

No way, Fields is a natural, Hurts isn't......nor is Wentz.

2 hours ago, Ipiggles said:

Hurts was a wasted pick the very second we sent the name in. Complete waste, but hey most of our second rd picks usually are. Sidney Jones anyone? 

Hurts= BUST

Hurts, Sanders, Goedert, Jones.....50% is probably about average for hitting on second round picks. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I honestly can’t say Hurts is a bust per se. He might be a decent QB in the right situation. That said, I absolutely agree the pick didn’t make sense at the time, nor does it now the way he is used. 

To me it makes perfect sense, and we are now seeing why it made sense. Wentz just is not a franchise QB. When the time comes that the team has finally given up hope in him progressing, they’ll turn to Hurts. If he works out, then it was obviously a great pick. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ilikepargo said:

Hurts was a HORRIBLE draft pick.  We needed that resource to be used on a position that would have been useful.  It was predictable that the pick would mess with Wentz's head.  It was predictable that using him as a gimmick player would fail.  It was predictable that it would mess with Hurts' career as well.  In fact, I predicted all of this, and people attacked me for saying so.  No one wins from this.  It damaged the team.

If drafting his backup QB in round 2 "messed with his head” then it was a good pick. Because your franchise QB cannot be that mentally fragile, or he’s already a lost cause. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Swoop said:

Fields and Hurts are the same player.

give me whatever you are smoking you hot taking son of a gun

I think the old nfl way of doing things says play wentz until we are out of the playoffs then see what hurts can do. I don’t hate wentz but I just don’t think he will ever be as good as Mcnabb and I would like to see what hurts can do because in college he won a lot. I also would like to see a true OC, even if Doug still calls the plays. 

4 hours ago, NOTW said:

Reporter noted to Doug that having Hurts in the defense knows it's a run. Why not take Wentz out instead of fool no one with him at WR, utilize the spot for an actual WR and have Hurts throw sometimes? 

Doug said yeah that's a good idea, we'll look into that.

When I heard that I was praying it was sarcasm but honestly I'm not sure

LOL the reporters should ask if Doug and the OCs are having problems integrating Hurts into the offense :roll:

1 minute ago, Mike030270 said:

When I heard that I was praying it was sarcasm but honestly I'm not sure

LOL the reporters should ask if Doug and the OCs are having problems integrating Hurts into the offense :roll:

It was snarky for sure.  Doug said that sounded like a good idea, then the reporter followed up with "so why haven't you tried it?"  Then Doug said it again, we'll look into that.

The reporters keep asking him logical questions all year and he just gets annoyed and says they don't know what it's like to play the QB position or whatever.

Someone asked about confidence in Hurts and his fumbles do they give you concern?  Doug got testy with the reporter and said who's fault was the fumble?  Which fumbles are you talking about?  Was it a bad snap?  The reporter said I don't know you tell me, we're seeing Jalen drop the ball when it's snapped to him, what is your evaluation?  Doug blamed Kelce's snaps.

He seems to protect the QBs and blame the line, receivers and even his own play calling.

38 minutes ago, QBhunter58 said:

give me whatever you are smoking you hot taking son of a gun

Seriously, watch the two of them play. Fields is a better prospect. He does have a better arm. He is slightly more polished. The difference between the two of them is not as vast as people make it out to be. Between the two, I would take Fields.

Having said that, part of the success Fields has is from Ohio State. Several QBs look legit there and none ever pan out. I'd be very cautious if I was a GM looking for a QB.

Hurts has been a puzzle at the beginning.  They have no idea how to use him in a game.  So far, they are trying different ways and hope to find something.  Wentz stays in when Hurts comes in is essentially playing with 10 men.  IMHO, they should designate Hurts to run the 2-pt conversion, which the team runs a lot.  Design something specificly for those plays and have him practised them thru and thru.  With some success, he can gain confidence and trust.  Then he can move on to other areas, likely RZ or use the plays he has success in other situations.  

Right now, QB factory it is not, more like a young man wasted in the system.

• Like 1

Total Eagles move....

Give Wentz 130 million

Then Draft a QB in the 2nd Round

Then the next year Draft a Qb in the 1st Round  

LOL  

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Swoop said:

They're both Dak Prescott. Watch tape. Fields has a stronger arm and a bit more polish, but they're very similar. Both like to tuck and run. Both can get sloppy with footwork. Fields (Hurts, too) has shown instances of struggling with blitzing. Fields is a better prospect, but I think it's funny that people think there's a major difference between the two. There isn't.

I'm partially kidding. I think Fields does have some higher upside.

Justin Fields is Dak Prescott?! 

I think we agree to disagree. I will leave it there to keep it civil

5 hours ago, nipples said:

To me it makes perfect sense, and we are now seeing why it made sense. Wentz just is not a franchise QB. When the time comes that the team has finally given up hope in him progressing, they’ll turn to Hurts. If he works out, then it was obviously a great pick. 

I'm definitely down on Wentz at the moment. He clearly has his own issues that are independent from anything related to any other issues, but it's also objective to say the rest of the team has plenty of issues independent of Wentz. I'm not against Hurts getting a few games to help get his feet wet, and maybe light a fire under Wentz's ass, but I really would be surprised if Hurts had much more success in this offense this year given the state of everything else.

14 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Exactly, which is why I said they’re compounding their mistake by how they play him. 

It just seems like they baby all rookies and younger guys.  Get to let some of these guys get real playing time.

21 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I wouldn't even wait that long. I'd start Hurts from this point on to ascertain what we have there. 

I know that's not going to happen but that's the way I'd go.

My question is- how are they going to know what they have, when he is tossed into a bad situation? Bad O line. Practice squad WR's and ... Alshon. And a D that leaves you in bad field position? You can't know what you have when the whole team is trash. It probably will kill his confidence, because he is going to look like trash, even though he probably isn't. Oh well, let's see what happens. I would like to see Lurie get pissed and fire somebody IN SEASON if they keep losing, which they probably will.

Man the board is reflecting the state of the team. 

"Hurts is a bust". 

He's thrown the ball twice...

"Hurts was a wasted pick". / "We should play him to see what we have"

How will we know he's a waste UNTIL we see what we have?

"The Hurts pick has messed with Wentz's head".

I thought Foles already did that.

"Hurts is a bust/wasted pick"/But pick Fields"

I'm confused..if Hurts was a wasted pick.. and he's already here.. you want to waste ANOTHER pick?

"Are you concerned with Hurts fumbles/handling snaps"

Wentz has like..more turnovers than basically every other QB in the league. Can it get worse?

"Doug has been exposed re: playcalling"

Even Foles called the Philly special and Doug was like.. meh.. yeah ok.. I guess so.. sure let's do it.

At this point, if Wentz IS the guy going forward... with his injury history, why risk him with Brooks, Dillard, Seumalu all out and Johnson and Peters hitting and missing, why not actually see what we have with Hurts. At least defenses will have to account for him running when the line breaks down. Wentz no longer has escapability. Losing sux.. but doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result sux even more. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nipples said:

I don't expect anything out Hurts until they actually play him.

7 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

Justin Fields is Dak Prescott?! 

I think we agree to disagree. I will leave it there to keep it civil

Fields is not a great prospect; he stands back there and holds the ball too long.  If he wasn’t playing at OSU or another CFB playoff program he wouldn’t have a first round grade 

For the folks saying sit Wentz now and start Hurts — the Eagles are still in first place in the division, and will continue to be in first place, regardless of what happens this Sunday against CLE.

If the Eagles drop the next 5-game stretch against CLE, SEA, GB, NO, and ARI they will be 3-10-1.  Starting Hurts for the last two games vs DAL and WAS will give the team a good idea what he’s capable of.  Keep in mind Wentz’s contract extension kicks in starting next season, so he will remain the undisputed starting QB barring injury.

2 hours ago, Talonblood said:

My question is- how are they going to know what they have, when he is tossed into a bad situation? Bad O line. Practice squad WR's and ... Alshon. And a D that leaves you in bad field position? You can't know what you have when the whole team is trash. It probably will kill his confidence, because he is going to look like trash, even though he probably isn't. Oh well, let's see what happens. I would like to see Lurie get pissed and fire somebody IN SEASON if they keep losing, which they probably will.

His mobility and ability to run with the ball or extend plays with his legs may, I say may, help him with that bad o line? It may not but it may. 

• Like 1