What Happens if we Lose Out

West_Philly

If we lose out, where would we be picking in the draft? How would you correct the Eagles shortcomings e.g., do we trade back to get more picks since we need help everywhere?

Not in favor of trading back. There’s no guarantee no matter where you pick, but I would rather play the odds we get a difference maker closer to the top of the first round, as opposed to getting a few more picks lower in the draft and just hoping a couple work out. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Talonblood said:

It won't even matter if Howie is still the GM. 

If we pick in the top 5 I dont think I can wait to see who is taken.  At this point it should be best player available.

Seems to me the rest of the East is playing better while the Eagles are trending down.  Safe to say we will finish in the basement and that's not a bad thing.  This organization needs to be put on notice and changes need to be made.

If we go 3-12-1, I have the feeling that there will be major changes in store.  Howie will be relegated to contracts and I think Doug may be relieved of play-calling if not his job.  

• Like 3

The Eagles would currently be in the Top 10 of the draft if they aren't winning the NFC East. With the tie, they're just ahead of a bunch of teams with 3 wins, including all of the NFC East. The only teams with less wins are the Bengals (2 wins), Jags (1 win), and Jets (0 wins). So it could easily be a Top 5 pick if they lose out.

If we pick between 2 and 5 trade back a few spots, but stay in the top 10 and pick up a 2nd or 3rd. If we are n picking 6-10 stand pat and take bpa. 

Forget what some of us want to happen (Fire Howie, Doug, personnel staff, etc. blow it up and rebuild).  What do we think Lurie will do?

I don't think he fires Howie.  I think he fires the coaches and blames coaching, injuries and COVID.  Would he fire Doug after winning the SB then making the playoffs 2 years after and then 1 bad season?  He fired Chip after back to back 10 win seasons because he had lost the team so we'll see.  Sloppy practices, no accountability...does Lurie fire Doug as well?

I think at minimum we'll see Schwartz leave since his contract is up and firings among the offensive coaches under Doug.  Maybe Lurie tells Doug his last chance to fix this is to have an OC who calls the plays.

Around 5th in the draft if they lose the rest of the way, which I think has a damn good chance of happening. And more importantly, if they go 3-12-1, I’ve got to believe Howie and/or Doug are gone. 

31 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Forget what some of us want to happen (Fire Howie, Doug, personnel staff, etc. blow it up and rebuild).  What do we think Lurie will do?

I don't think he fires Howie.  I think he fires the coaches and blames coaching, injuries and COVID.  Would he fire Doug after winning the SB then making the playoffs 2 years after and then 1 bad season?  He fired Chip after back to back 10 win seasons because he had lost the team so we'll see.  Sloppy practices, no accountability...does Lurie fire Doug as well?

I think at minimum we'll see Schwartz leave since his contract is up and firings among the offensive coaches under Doug.  Maybe Lurie tells Doug his last chance to fix this is to have an OC who calls the plays.

I think it's hard to compare Chip and Doug. Kelly was a mercenary who caught lightning in a bottle at Oregon and sold the Eagles a bill of goods.  Plus he was a liar and overall bad human. It took a while, but Lurie is a smart guy and finally cut his losses. 

Doug, on the other hand, is a legacy Eagles guy and straight from the beloved Andy Reid coaching tree.  With that said, he also caught lightning in a bottle with the 2017 team and has been in regression ever since.  Can Doug turn this around to the degree required to save his job?  I'm not sure but they'll give him ever opportunity.

But the bottom line is massive changes are necessary both to the roster and to the staff. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, EaglesfanfromND said:

Definitely another QB for the factory!:lol:

The pollution from Howie's QB Factory is already threatening the environment as it is. Even Lurie's turbines at the Linc can't turn fast enough to deal with those emissions.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, West_Philly said:

If we lose out, where would we be picking in the draft? How would you correct the Eagles shortcomings e.g., do we trade back to get more picks since we need help everywhere?

High draft picks are the most over-valued commodity in the NFL. Fans love 'em but go back over the last 20 Eagles drafts and ask yourself who turned out to be a star.  D-Jax? Shady?  Fletcher Cox?  Good players but not necessarily elite.  So yeah, trading back, in my view, makes sense.

9 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

I think it's hard to compare Chip and Doug. Kelly was a mercenary who caught lightning in a bottle at Oregon and sold the Eagles a bill of goods.  Plus he was a liar and overall bad human. It took a while, but Lurie is a smart guy and finally cut his losses. 

Doug, on the other hand, is a legacy Eagles guy and straight from the beloved Andy Reid coaching tree.  With that said, he also caught lightning in a bottle with the 2017 team and has been in regression ever since.  Can Doug turn this around to the degree required to save his job?  I'm not sure but they'll give him ever opportunity.

But the bottom line is massive changes are necessary both to the roster and to the staff. 

Definitely different coaches and situations, but Lurie also doesn't let things get bad very long before making a change.

1 hour ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Not in favor of trading back. There’s no guarantee no matter where you pick, but I would rather play the odds we get a difference maker closer to the top of the first round, as opposed to getting a few more picks lower in the draft and just hoping a couple work out. 

Oddly, we seem to do much better in the draft late than early. We are semi-disastrous in the first two rounds. I wanted us to trade back last year. I think we need to trade back and acquire more picks this time around because we suck so much at drafting, it at least gives us more chances to hit on something useful.

9 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

High draft picks are the most over-valued commodity in the NFL. Fans love 'em but go back over the last 20 Eagles drafts and ask yourself who turned out to be a star.  D-Jax? Shady?  Fletcher Cox?  Good players but not necessarily elite.  So yeah, trading back, in my view, makes sense.

Not for this team.  And you're kind of making the point for the need for higher draft pick to get star talent.  You're right:  they don't get a lot of star talent picking later in the round because they can't draft well.  When they've had higher picks they've taken Fletcher Cox and Lane Johnson, then also Ertz as a high 2nd rounder. Imagine having a higher draft position this year and taking Lamb instead of Reagor?

You're right: other teams can draft well and retool their rosters picking in the 2nd half of the draft.  The Eagles are not good at drafting, they need the higher picks to get stars and not just guys who are ok starters or take 4 years to devleop.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Madriver said:

Oddly, we seem to do much better in the draft late than early. We are semi-disastrous in the first two rounds. I wanted us to trade back last year. I think we need to trade back and acquire more picks this time around because we suck so much at drafting, it at least gives us more chances to hit on something useful.

My guess is the later the round, Howie doesn't know much about them because they're not the big names in the early rounds.  He relies on his position coaches and scouts to clamor for guys, like Stoutland wanting to work with an O lineman.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

Definitely different coaches and situations, but Lurie also doesn't let things get bad very long before making a change.

Agreed and that's kind of the conundrum; there are currently 15 teams in the NFL with 4 wins or fewer, including the Eagles. That's half the league. If they continue to deteriorate to the point where, say, they get a top 5 pick, how can they move forward with Howie, Doug et al?

2 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

I think this is the most likely outcome (i.e. neither Howie nor Doug are fired, but we end up hiring new coordinators).  I just hope a new OC isn’t promoted from within.  No Scangarello or Mornhinweg.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I think this is the most likely outcome (i.e. neither Howie nor Doug are fired, but we end up hiring new coordinators).  I just hope a new OC isn’t promoted from within.  No Scangarello or Mornhinweg.

That would defeat the purpose of making a change. That would be a horrid decision.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, West_Philly said:

If he’s on the board, then it has to be LT Penei Sewell. He’s supposed to be a generational talent.

19 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

That would defeat the purpose of making a change. That would be a horrid decision.

No doubt.  But doesn’t it just seem like either a Eagles thing or Doug thing that they’d do?  

4 hours ago, toolg said:

The Eagles would currently be in the Top 10 of the draft if they aren't winning the NFC East. With the tie, they're just ahead of a bunch of teams with 3 wins, including all of the NFC East. The only teams with less wins are the Bengals (2 wins), Jags (1 win), and Jets (0 wins). So it could easily be a Top 5 pick if they lose out.

Ahead in the standings but after them ll in the draft. All of the 3 win teams would pick before the Eagles.