General Manager Replacement

FlankingRight

21 minutes ago, Usain23 said:

My question is how attractive is this job to a prospective GM candidate? What about this team would attract one of the hot names for a GM job?

Our QB situation is a disaster.

We have an old, expensive roster with very few young stars if any. 

We are in cap hell for the next 2+ years. 

All told, this may be one of the least desirable GM openings out there this offseason if it does indeed become available. 

I completely disagree.  

First of all, league-wide the Eagles are known as a top organization with great facilities, great executives on the non-football side and Lurie is respected as a good owner.  They've also had a lot of success since Lurie took over and his approach is hands-off and not get involved (despite some recent rumors, overall he's been hands off most of his tenure).

Like with head coach jobs, there are only 32 available in the league.  A younger guy who is a scout or assistant in the front office looking to make the leap and make a name for himself and build a championship team?  They would jump at the chance to take the Eagles job.  If they know Howie is fired and Lurie gives them the keys to make the decisions they want to build the franchise it's a very attractive job. 

The QB situation could be salvageable, a new HC and offensive coaching staff could help get Wentz back on track and if that doesn't work out they either move to Hurts or get someone else to build around.  

The new GM would purge whatever contracts he can to get under the cap and move on from the older, injury prone players.  

And if they have high draft position this year, he has a chance to immediately step in and draft young difference makers and show some pretty early results.  Not to mention, trading players for picks to get rid of some cap space and acquire picks.  

it's a very attractive job.

2 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I completely disagree.  

First of all, league-wide the Eagles are known as a top organization with great facilities, great executives on the non-football side and Lurie is respected as a good owner.  They've also had a lot of success since Lurie took over and his approach is hands-off and not get involved (despite some recent rumors, overall he's been hands off most of his tenure).

Like with head coach jobs, there are only 32 available in the league.  A younger guy who is a scout or assistant in the front office looking to make the leap and make a name for himself and build a championship team?  They would jump at the chance to take the Eagles job.  If they know Howie is fired and Lurie gives them the keys to make the decisions they want to build the franchise it's a very attractive job. 

The QB situation could be salvageable, a new HC and offensive coaching staff could help get Wentz back on track and if that doesn't work out they either move to Hurts or get someone else to build around.  

The new GM would purge whatever contracts he can to get under the cap and move on from the older, injury prone players.  

And if they have high draft position this year, he has a chance to immediately step in and draft young difference makers and show some pretty early results.  Not to mention, trading players for picks to get rid of some cap space and acquire picks.  

It’s attractive as long as Howie is gone. If it’s a Joe Douglas/Howie Roseman collaboration job, no one will want it. I don’t think Howie is very respected throughout the league, especially by many who started out as scouts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bacarty2 said:

I dont think he was too far off. so i dont see the shot at this

Wentz wasn’t (or shouldn’t have been) even in the top 10 for MVP last year, so yes he was way off. 

3 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

You're crazy. If Lamar didnt have a run away season Wentz would of gotten votes last year. 

Hahahaha ok. No. Not even close. 

31 minutes ago, Road to Victory said:

It’s attractive as long as Howie is gone. If it’s a Joe Douglas/Howie Roseman collaboration job, no one will want it. I don’t think Howie is very respected throughout the league, especially by many who started out as scouts. 

SOMEONE will always take the job, even with Howie here like the Joe Douglas situation.  The best candidates might not want it but per my earlier point, you have a scout or asst of player personnel who wants to move up, there would be plenty of people wanting to go make a name for themselves.

But we're talking about replacing Howie as GM in this scenario, not a Personnel guy like Joe Douglas with Howie.  So IMO if Howie were fired, this would be a VERY attractive job.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NOTW said:

SOMEONE will always take the job, even with Howie here like the Joe Douglas situation.  The best candidates might not want it but per my earlier point, you have a scout or asst of player personnel who wants to move up, there would be plenty of people wanting to go make a name for themselves.

But we're talking about replacing Howie as GM in this scenario, not a Personnel guy like Joe Douglas with Howie.  So IMO if Howie were fired, this would be a VERY attractive job.  

Correct. I shouldn’t have said "nobody” will want the job. Someone will always want the job but the best candidates will pass on it if they have to deal with Howie in any capacity.

I completely agree- if Howie is fired, it’s a great job. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Agreed, Howie remaining here is what makes any job less attractive.  If he is out of the picture, then I imagine any job would be extremely attractive.  

1 hour ago, Bacarty2 said:

5-0 in crunch time, 27/7 and will be the only guy in NFL history to have 4000 yards with out having a 500 yard wide receiver. 

First, he played a bunch of scrub teams down the stretch. And even then they struggled to win most of them. 

Second, that’s such a random, arbitrary stat. It also ignores that he did have a 500+ yard receiver, who just happened to be one of the best receiving tight ends in the league. 4000 yards.... big deal. That isn’t rare at all in today’s NFL. 

7 hours ago, NYEagle said:

Fixed

We’re the 49ers being awarded more than one pick per round unlike every other team in the league?

23 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

Someone from Chiefs, Steelers, or Ravens

They know how to draft

My thought exactly, and I'd add the Seahawks to that list.            Get a young guy who has learned from people who know how to do it right, and let him hire a coach to work with.            Unfortunately, this would require Lurie to abandon the gobbledygook slogans and new age 'consultative' style of decision making, and I'm not sure he will ever do that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

Roseman being out of the organization is the only way this can start to turn around.         If he is allowed to remain in the building in any capacity, it will only be a matter of how long it takes him to undermine the new man.            Lurie managed to part ways with Banner, and he absolutely needs to eliminate Roseman completely or any moves will be spinning their wheels.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bacarty2 said:

5-0 in crunch time, 27/7 and will be the only guy in NFL history to have 4000 yards with out having a 500 yard wide receiver. 

He did get some consideration. 
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28484461/final-2019-nfl-mvp-rankings-lamar-jackson-obviously-no-1-follows%3fplatform=amp

If Howie gets fired, I believe it won't take him very long to get a new job. 

5 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

I think he’s another Joe Banner. He’ll get a FO job but not making any important football decisions, just contracts and cap management. He will never have the power/control that he had in Philly. He’ll be a nobody like Banner. 

6 hours ago, NOTW said:

I completely disagree.  

There are 32 franchises with great facilities.  

The Eagles are a big market team with passionate fans...higher pressure.  Plus to some, negative to others.  I don't really want anyone who views that as a negative anyway.

The cap situation is a deterrent, if not a massive one.  Most horrible teams have no major contracts anchored around their necks.  The Eagles have several.  That's definitely a problem a new GM will not want to deal with. 

On 12/1/2020 at 3:26 PM, Philthy Jawn said:

I'd like to know why Riddick was ultimately pushed out, and why he hasn't had a front office job in several years now.

Because while he's not as bad as Charles Davis, he's a wannabe white guy, aka a freaking Tom, if you're not comfortable with who you are then get lost.

15 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

I can't see anyone hiring that weasel as a GM.

Just now, EagleVA said:

I can't see anyone hiring that weasel as a GM.

We'll see. 

As far as a new GM goes, you want someone who's honest, non-biased and knows talent.

One guy that meets that criteria for me is Kirk Herbstreit, I've always been impressed with everything that comes out of his mouth.  

Not sure if he'd be interested in the job but if he would be I'd pull the trigger.

13 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

The cap situation is a deterrent, if not a massive one.  Most horrible teams have no major contracts anchored around their necks.  The Eagles have several.  That's definitely a problem a new GM will not want to deal with. 

This isn't the NBA where the contracts are guaranteed and it can take years to get out of cap hell.       A smart GM will understand there might be a year or two of pain, but by immediately eliminating dead weight, moving veterans who have value,  and with solid drafting and  signings, a turnaround can happena whole lot sooner.       

A bonus would be if Wentz or Hurts proved to be 'the guy' - not having to find a QB would greatly accelerate the rebuilding phase.

10 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

As far as a new GM goes, you want someone who's honest, non-biased and knows talent.

One guy that meets that criteria for me is Kirk Herbstreit, I've always been impressed with everything that comes out of his mouth.  

Not sure if he'd be interested in the job but if he would be I'd pull the trigger.

Why is everyone focusing on media guys?        I want someone currently working in a good organization who knows the league and who has made some connections around the league.         Who has the slightest idea if Herbstreit would have a clue how to be an NFL GM, which is a hell of a lot different than rattling off opinions with no accountability for whether he's wrong or right. 

36 minutes ago, jsdarkstar said:

You may be right, as that "Executive of the Year" award might still have cache somewhere.          As long as it isn't here in any capacity, I don't really care and wish him good luck.

7 hours ago, Usain23 said:

My question is how attractive is this job to a prospective GM candidate? What about this team would attract one of the hot names for a GM job?

Our QB situation is a disaster.

We have an old, expensive roster with very few young stars if any. 

We are in cap hell for the next 2+ years. 

All told, this may be one of the least desirable GM openings out there this offseason if it does indeed become available. 

That’s where ego comes in. Coaches and GMs think they can fix things. The biggest thing for any GM coming here, IMO, would be an assurance that they basically have 2 free years of trying to fix things before they really need to start seeing positive results. If Lurie expects a quick turnaround, then that could turn off any decent GM. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

Maybe in a Banner role over the finances, cap, contracts, etc.  I can't see someone putting him in charge of the draft and all football personnel decisions.

The MNF crew and other TV shows are destroying him for his bad drafting and bad contracts.  No smart team would put him in charge of personnel decisions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

He wont get a GM job ever again. But you might not be wrong. I think we may be overlooking just how much Lurie loves Howie. I would not be surprised if he offered him a lesser role in the organization. Howie might not take it, but what else is he gonna get?