General Manager Replacement

FlankingRight

12 hours ago, Usain23 said:

My question is how attractive is this job to a prospective GM candidate? What about this team would attract one of the hot names for a GM job?

Our QB situation is a disaster.

We have an old, expensive roster with very few young stars if any. 

We are in cap hell for the next 2+ years. 

All told, this may be one of the least desirable GM openings out there this offseason if it does indeed become available. 

or the most....pick a guy or gal that likes a challenge...and there is seemingly no bigger challenge

11 hours ago, QBhunter58 said:

He wont get a GM job ever again. But you might not be wrong. I think we may be overlooking just how much Lurie loves Howie. I would not be surprised if he offered him a lesser role in the organization. Howie might not take it, but what else is he gonna get?

They need to kick him out and change the locks. Otherwise he will weasel his way back in.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If no decent external candidate takes the Eagles job, just let go of Roseman and internally promote Andy Weidl to GM.

Weidl has a wealth of experience working as a scout before joining the Eagles in 2016:

1998-2000 - Steelers: player personnel assistant

2000-2004 - Saints: national combine scout / Northeast area scout

2005-2016 - Ravens: West area scout / Northeast area scout / East regional scout

He was a driving force behind convincing the Ravens taking Haloti Ngata in 2006, as he was expected to be a high pick but reports about his "poor work ethic" put some teams off.

There was reportedly a divide between the FO and coaches versus the scouting department on Justin Jefferson vs Jalen Reagor. Coaches went for "scheme fit" and scouts deemed Jefferson the "better overall prospect". Roseman sided with the coaches over the scouts and whiffed. Rumor also has it that the Eagles scouts really wanted the team to take Jeremy Chinn in Round 2 but were overruled by Howie. I wouldn't be surprised if Weidl was on that side pushing for Chinn. His playing style would have fit with the Ravens, and the Panthers are currently benefitting from having him fall to them at pick 64.

The front office needs to be lead with someone with a scout's mentality for evaluating talent and should make his decisions with conviction, not caving into the "scheme fit" argument coaches like to make. Culture fit is a different story though, and you do want someone that is a hard worker and can fit in the locker room to reduce chances of a bust, but "scheme fit" is overrated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

If no decent external candidate takes the Eagles job, just let go of Roseman and internally promote Andy Weidl to GM.

I have to say I think this approach could make sense. 

I mean right now this roster is a mess. And at the moment the franchise QB is broken but is on big money.

How exciting a prospect is this team to a GM and a HC? Especially some young up and coming guys! I mean they may feel that Wentz can't be salvaged and they'd rather pick their own QB but right now that's not an easy sell! 

So maybe it is better to fire Howie, promote Weidl and then in a year or two when you can feasibly move on from Wentz you bring in a young GM and HC?

I'm not a huge fan of this but I can see that scenario playing out. 

6 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

There was reportedly a divide between the FO and coaches versus the scouting department on Justin Jefferson vs Jalen Reagor. Coaches went for "scheme fit" and scouts deemed Jefferson the "better overall prospect". Roseman sided with the coaches over the scouts and whiffed. Rumor also has it that the Eagles scouts really wanted the team to take Jeremy Chinn in Round 2 but were overruled by Howie. I wouldn't be surprised if Weidl was on that side pushing for Chinn. His playing style would have fit with the Ravens, and the Panthers are currently benefitting from having him fall to them at pick 64.

The front office needs to be lead with someone with a scout's mentality for evaluating talent and should make his decisions with conviction, not caving into the "scheme fit" argument coaches like to make. Culture fit is a different story though, and you do want someone that is a hard worker and can fit in the locker room to reduce chances of a bust, but "scheme fit" is overrated.

I wonder if there is any truth to those rumors (that Roseman went against the advice provided by the scouts).  Honestly, I've wondered for years if Howie would go rogue when it comes to making the picks, going against the draft board set up by the guys that do the work and know best.  It wouldn't surprise me - he throws off that vibe that he thinks he is the smartest guy in the room.  

On 12/2/2020 at 4:06 AM, PoconoDon said:

Here are a few for the interview list:

1. Ed Dodds - Assistant GM - Colts   - My 1st choice.

2. Phil Kreidler - College scouting Coordinator - Steelers.

3. Joe Hortiz - Director of Player Personnel - Ravens.

4. Ethan Waugh - Director College Scouting and Football Systems - 49ers.

5. Mike Borgonzi, Chris Shea, Mike Bradway, & Ryan Poles - all Chiefs personnel execs.

6. Louis Riddick - Analyst.

7. Daniel Jeremiah - Analyst.

Nice list. Best one I’ve seen yet.

54 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I wonder if there is any truth to those rumors (that Roseman went against the advice provided by the scouts).  Honestly, I've wondered for years if Howie would go rogue when it comes to making the picks, going against the draft board set up by the guys that do the work and know best.  It wouldn't surprise me - he throws off that vibe that he thinks he is the smartest guy in the room.  

He has done this before, most notably Marcus Smith, which caused Chip to force him to the basement.  

8 minutes ago, Philthy Jawn said:

He has done this before, most notably Marcus Smith, which caused Chip to force him to the basement.  

Then all the more reason to strip him of those responsibilities (at a minimum).  

On 12/2/2020 at 7:15 PM, QBhunter58 said:

He wont get a GM job ever again. But you might not be wrong. I think we may be overlooking just how much Lurie loves Howie. I would not be surprised if he offered him a lesser role in the organization. Howie might not take it, but what else is he gonna get?

I think Howie would take the lesser job just to stay in the building and get his power if not his GM title back. It worked once for him.

On 12/4/2020 at 8:44 AM, time2rock said:

Then all the more reason to strip him of those responsibilities (at a minimum).  

He has to go. He can't be a part of the organization any more. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AzBirdGang said:

BGN did a bit on Howies drafting. We rank 2nd to last from 2015 til 2019. Only ahead of the Jets. LOL.

The drafting has been a disaster. The player development has been a disaster. I mean I'm not sure I can name one player who is better now than when drafted within the last 3 or so years. 

Maddox looked good as a rookie, now he's a liability. Sanders looks good but he did as a rookie. JJAW is terrible. Reagor doesn't look explosive. Jones and Douglas were cut and look alright on another team. Nobody seems sure about Dillard. I guess Barnett has perhaps developed? But even then he's not exactly been what we'd have hoped. I mean other than Mailata (who was a complete shot in the dark and athletic freak) I can't think of any player who has improved? 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The drafting has been a disaster. The player development has been a disaster. I mean I'm not sure I can name one player who is better now than when drafted within the last 3 or so years. 

Maddox looked good as a rookie, now he's a liability. Sanders looks good but he did as a rookie. JJAW is terrible. Reagor doesn't look explosive. Jones and Douglas were cut and look alright on another team. Nobody seems sure about Dillard. I guess Barnett has perhaps developed? But even then he's not exactly been what we'd have hoped. I mean other than Mailata (who was a complete shot in the dark and athletic freak) I can't think of any player who has improved? 

Dude I agree 100%. None of our players develop. They always regress hard. The last stud we got was Lane and Cox imo. MNF just ripped Howie over and over about his drafting. It is pathetic though.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2020 at 6:41 PM, NOTW said:

Maybe in a Banner role over the finances, cap, contracts, etc.  I can't see someone putting him in charge of the draft and all football personnel decisions.

The MNF crew and other TV shows are destroying him for his bad drafting and bad contracts.  No smart team would put him in charge of personnel decisions.

I agree. They will know to keep him away from all personnel decisions, that's for sure.

On 12/2/2020 at 8:15 PM, hoosierdaddy said:

I'd like someone who's not Howie Roseman. 

TV Quotes | Mr. Meeseeks - Can Do! | TV Quotes

• Haha 1

On 12/2/2020 at 4:23 PM, jsdarkstar said:

If Howie gets fired, I believe it won't take him very long to get a new job. 

Doing what? Maybe the Jets would hire him as a personnel guy but no functional team would. As a cap and contracts guy? Maybe although his reputation might take a hit there too, the Eagles are in pretty sucky shape re personnel and cap.

On 12/1/2020 at 2:49 PM, EaglesfanfromND said:

Louis Riddick sounded pretty smart to me last night.

It’s almost as if he were auditioning for the job. 

On 12/2/2020 at 6:41 PM, NOTW said:

Maybe in a Banner role over the finances, cap, contracts, etc.  I can't see someone putting him in charge of the draft and all football personnel decisions.

The MNF crew and other TV shows are destroying him for his bad drafting and bad contracts.  No smart team would put him in charge of personnel decisions.

He won’t be the Eagles problem anymore though. If someone wants to give Howie full power then more power to them. 

On 12/2/2020 at 5:17 PM, EagleJoe8 said:

That’s where ego comes in. Coaches and GMs think they can fix things. The biggest thing for any GM coming here, IMO, would be an assurance that they basically have 2 free years of trying to fix things before they really need to start seeing positive results. If Lurie expects a quick turnaround, then that could turn off any decent GM. 

Really good answer here.

Rumor is who ever hires Dorsey as GM will get Eric Bienemy in the package deal as HC. Some guests that were on WIP said they have heard Lurie is very interested will be in contact with Reid yet again to have him put in a good word for Philly. Not sure if true or even if it would be a good move. Dorsey has had many ups and downs with both KC and Cleveland. But I will say on paper it looks like a better combo then Howie and Doug. 

If the Eagles make a GM/Coaching change that will spell another losing season as the team has to learn a new playbook with new terminology. But I guess blowing it up is the latest rumor.

2 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

If the Eagles make a GM/Coaching change that will spell another losing season as the team has to learn a new playbook with new terminology. But I guess blowing it up is the latest rumor.

Many teams that went through a GM/HC change in the past have proven that theory incorrect. Most of the time it is a positive change/effect on the team from the prev year.