Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

49 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

Well Russel Wilson got a Super Bowl win.  Kaepernick and Newton almost got there.

There really haven't been too many QBs who have run for over 500 yards in a year.

Most QBs drafted in the first round in the last 10 years haven't  gotten to the Super Bowl.

I think we all agree that Tom Brady is very good.  It seems like Tom Brady would be a good QB to get.    QBs similar to Tom Brady do not do anywhere near as well as Tom Brady though.

7 out of the last 10 super bowls featured a QB taken in the first round. I would say that's most. 1 super bowl had 2 first rounders so that would be 8 first round QB's in the super bowl.tge last 10 years. Also there were 2 super bowl teams where the season was started by a 1st round QB but they got hurt. 

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

How does that work?

These running QBs aren't doing anything that is so crazy and unusual that defenses just need to "figure it out".

When fast QBs run a lot,  it's something that defenses just can't stop.  

Why don't you reverse it.   Defenses can figure out that QBs are going to try to beat them with their arm,  so  defenses will force the slow QBs to beat them with their legs. 

The Ravens since Lamar became starter have a regular season record of 31-8. 

Defenses don't try and hit Jackson like they did Vick

41 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

Well Russel Wilson got a Super Bowl win.  Kaepernick and Newton almost got there.

There really haven't been too many QBs who have run for over 500 yards in a year.

Most QBs drafted in the first round in the last 10 years haven't  gotten to the Super Bowl.

I think we all agree that Tom Brady is very good.  It seems like Tom Brady would be a good QB to get.    QBs similar to Tom Brady do not do anywhere near as well as Tom Brady though.

Why'd you group Hurts with them? Wilson isn't what a lot of people would call a running QB. Honestly I don't remember a lot of Kaep since he hasn't been in the league in like 5 years. Kaep never even got close to 4k yds in a season though

Cam had a great season that year and then completely bombed in the SB against Denvers elite defense. His career as a starter may have ended now as well

The ideal turn out is for Hurts to become a passer that runs. Hurts did well for a rookie. There is a lot to love about what we saw in the games he played. He has some work to do but it sounds like he is doing it. I'll be happy to see him develop this year and hope that he lives up to his possibility.

That said, we don't know what this coaching staff is going to be yet. There is a scenario in my mind in which Hurts is the franchise guy but we don't see the success because of the coaching. Not saying the coaching staff sucks but we just don't know.

8 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I posted the JJAW videos made by the same guy in the post I quoted. Don't blame me if you guys were too lazy to watch them. I understand that many of you can't fathom that the 10 people without the ball can still be doing something to help the team (you know ... their assignment ...). It's so much more simple to say, "well ... I guess he can't run routes, get open, create separation ... " etc... and when the film shows that's not necessarily the case, just pretend it's CGI or something. That logic works for the flat-earthers.

I watched the video. That’s how I knew it was basically him just running routes. He helped the team so much they barley used him. 😂🤣😂 You getting mad touchy about your boy now. I hope he does something more to help the team this year than just being a receiver who DOESN’T CATCH THE FOOTBALL. 

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

He helped the team so much they barley used him.  

The same team that played Gerry over Singleton, Peters over Mailata (at LT), Peters over Herbig (at RG), Jeffery over Fulgham , Jamon Brown over a cardboard cutout, etc...

3 hours ago, brkmsn said:

The same team that played Gerry over Singleton, Peters over Mailata (at LT), Peters over Herbig (at RG), Jeffery over Fulgham , Jamon Brown over a cardboard cutout, etc...

:lol:

4 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Maybe they should have used the cardboard cutout over JJAW too. Both can sit there, block, and not catch anything. 

There's a difference between QBs who are dual-threat and can run when they need to, vs QBs who rely too heavily on the run or might be considered "run first."

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

There's a difference between QBs who are dual-threat and can run when they need to, vs QBs who rely too heavily on the run or might be considered "run first."

Nope! Fast equals running QBs at all positions and we need a 53 of them!! Ever hear of innovation son?? Because this league be boring yo. 

On 3/26/2021 at 5:46 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

This is Lurie and Howie... I can see just about anything happening. 

With Lurie and Howie making personnel decisions I see mostly bad things happening.

7 hours ago, EagleVA said:

With Lurie and Howie making personnel decisions I see mostly bad things happening.

Oh yeah mostly bad things but any kind of bad things. 

On 4/5/2021 at 9:12 PM, Random Reglar said:

How does that work?

These running QBs aren't doing anything that is so crazy and unusual that defenses just need to "figure it out".

Why don't you reverse it.   Defenses can figure out that QBs are going to try to beat them with their arm,  so  defenses will force the slow QBs to beat them with their legs. 

I read where the Ravens were also last in the league in passing efficiency last year. Think that's viable long term? Yeah I know Lamar was league MVP a couple years ago. Let's see how the Ravens passing game fares this year.

On 4/5/2021 at 2:54 PM, NOTW said:

Like I said, he was running for his life.  He sat and watched Wentz get destroyed all year by the O line that had backups to backups at times.  He went in expecting his line to fail him and he has running ability so he did what he had to do.  

What Jalen has to do is learn the new offense and execute it. He'll have a full offseason as starter, study time to review his film to learn from it and settle down as he enters his 2nd year.  The coaches will also have to play to his strengths and coach him to execute the offense in ways that utilize his skill set.  If Hurts ends up being too run happy and he's not picking up the full offense then you make a change.  But the way I look at it, he was thrown into a losing season with injuries on the O line and went out and did his best with what he was given.  I don't judge him very harshly on last year given the situation, I am more interested in what happens next.

I watched Hurts a ton in college, and I always loved him as a player and leader, but never saw him as a franchise QB in the NFL.         I figured his path was as a backup QB or as a WR ala Hines Ward because he was such a good athlete.

Having said that, the kid is razor sharp and I'm happy to see him get at least the year to show how much he has learned and grown.         I still have my doubts that he can be more than a middle of the road QB who is good enough to start in the league but not good enough to lead a perennial playoff team, but the Eagles aren't winning anything in the near future and are loaded with future high picks if it doesn't work out.

Problem is, I have less than zero faith in the people making those decisions (sadly, it will likely be the meddling owner and "GM", not the coach), otherwise I'd be enthused about the rebuilding process.        Sorry, but I can't pretend that these clowns will suddenly become personnel geniuses.

3 hours ago, mjkvol said:

I watched Hurts a ton in college, and I always loved him as a player and leader, but never saw him as a franchise QB in the NFL.         I figured his path was as a backup QB or as a WR ala Hines Ward because he was such a good athlete.

Having said that, the kid is razor sharp and I'm happy to see him get at least the year to show how much he has learned and grown.         I still have my doubts that he can be more than a middle of the road QB who is good enough to start in the league but not good enough to lead a perennial playoff team, but the Eagles aren't winning anything in the near future and are loaded with future high picks if it doesn't work out.

Problem is, I have less than zero faith in the people making those decisions (sadly, it will likely be the meddling owner and "GM", not the coach), otherwise I'd be enthused about the rebuilding process.        Sorry, but I can't pretend that these clowns will suddenly become personnel geniuses.

Agree on Hurts work ethic and the team leadership. 

Hurts will have the opportunity this year, the team is his for the taking. New coach and system in the mix too so we'll see.

On 4/9/2021 at 2:32 AM, NOTW said:

Agree on Hurts work ethic and the team leadership. 

Hurts will have the opportunity this year, the team is his for the taking. New coach and system in the mix too so we'll see.

I certainly like the personality and the belief that he seems to have in himself. I do think this year he will look much improved on what we saw in those 4 games last year. There's reason to be optimistic with Hurts for sure. 

On 4/8/2021 at 6:05 PM, mjkvol said:

Nobody knows if Hurts will be any good, including the Eagles.   It is a low risk and potentially high reward scenario if he plays well this year. 

If he sucks, the team will be in a great position to draft another highly touted "franchise" QB next year.   Given how the last one turned out, it seems reasonable to give Hurts a chance.

1 hour ago, Mortimer said:

Nobody knows if Hurts will be any good, including the Eagles.   It is a low risk and potentially high reward scenario if he plays well this year. 

That's essentially what I said.          I offered an opinion, which the last time I checked is the purpose of forums like this.

1 hour ago, Mortimer said:

If he sucks, the team will be in a great position to draft another highly touted "franchise" QB next year.   Given how the last one turned out, it seems reasonable to give Hurts a chance.

The last one "turned out" that way under the watch of the current management, which allowed the roster to crater around him.         Being in a great position to draft yet another QB would be fine if the draft wasn't being run by the same clown whose previous two QB picks (if Hurts isn't the guy) failed.          And planning around the idea that previous QB picks failed isn't exactly a recipe for future success.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if at some point the Eagles make a run for Russell Wilson if it turns out the Hurts doesn't appear to be the franchise QB they are hoping he becomes.            In fact, if nothing changes in Seattle this season it would surprise me if that didn't happen.         

Even Lurie at some point has to accept the reality that trusting his valet with the kind of draft capital the Eagles might have to go after yet another rookie QB is a hell of a lot riskier than paying a king's ransom for pretty much a sure thing.          In fact, why not make that call now and give them Hurts and a boatload of picks before it's known whether Hurts can be the guy?            It's not happening, but just stirring the pot a bit.

1 hour ago, mjkvol said:

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if at some point the Eagles make a run for Russell Wilson if it turns out the Hurts doesn't appear to be the franchise QB they are hoping he becomes.            In fact, if nothing changes in Seattle this season it would surprise me if that didn't happen.         

Even Lurie at some point has to accept the reality that trusting his valet with the kind of draft capital the Eagles might have to go after yet another rookie QB is a hell of a lot riskier than paying a king's ransom for pretty much a sure thing.          In fact, why not make that call now and give them Hurts and a boatload of picks before it's known whether Hurts can be the guy?            It's not happening, but just stirring the pot a bit.

I would rather keep our picks than give them up to trade for and overpay a 33 year old QB.

1 hour ago, mjkvol said:

That sounds awful so I'm sure the Eagles will do it

On 4/5/2021 at 9:12 PM, Random Reglar said:

How does that work?

This is a rationale that is reborn every 10 years or so, only to be thoroughly destroyed by the universal and eventual failure of all these crap running QB's.

No one can run the ball as fast or as safely as they can throw it.  It's easier to stop a fast running QB who makes 1-2 reads than a QB that uses the entire field with all receiving options.  

Lamar Jackson is exhibit A for this.  Hes a bad quarterback.

4 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

This is a rationale that is reborn every 10 years or so, only to be thoroughly destroyed by the universal and eventual failure of all these crap running QB's.

No one can run the ball as fast or as safely as they can throw it.  It's easier to stop a fast running QB who makes 1-2 reads than a QB that uses the entire field with all receiving options.  

I've literally never heard of a team making a QB beat them with his legs when he is an excellent passer lmao. Random Regular isn't even an Eagles fan he is only here because the eagles have a few guys that played QB that were fast so he is hoping the Eagles will see the light and run his crap offense. 

1 hour ago, QBhunter58 said:

I would rather keep our picks than give them up to trade for and overpay a 33 year old QB.

Agreed, and I like Wilson, but not at his age and price.

46 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Calling Lamar a bad quarterback because he is a better runner than passer is just another lazy attention seeking hot take in the BLOG.

The facts are, very few QBs (whether they predominantly pass or run) win playoff games and the Super Bowl. There have been excellent passers who have not had success in the playoffs (Rivers in this generation) and horrible passers who have found success in the playoffs (Manning in this generation). 

What fans should care about is who gives them the best chance to win on any given Sunday and Lamar gives his team an excellent chance to win every Sunday. That makes him a good QB in my books.

Can he ever win a SB? Joe Flacco won a super bowl for crying out loud. 

17 minutes ago, Thrive said:

Calling Lamar a bad quarterback because he is a better runner than passer is just another lazy attention seeking hot take in the BLOG.

The facts are, very few QBs (whether they predominantly pass or run) win playoff games and the Super Bowl. There have been excellent passers who have not had success in the playoffs (Rivers in this generation) and horrible passers who have found success in the playoffs (Manning in this generation). 

What fans should care about is who gives them the best chance to win on any given Sunday and Lamar gives his team an excellent chance to win every Sunday. That makes him a good QB in my books.

Can he ever win a SB? Joe Flacco won a super bowl for crying out loud. 

Bad quarterback.  No doubt about it.  He's bad.  He just threw for 2700 yards.  That's a division 2 offense.  They basically run a full time wildcat.  I'm not sure that even Jalen Hurts will be that bad of a passer once he adjusts to the league.

Archived