Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

5 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

How am I saying that Hurts fails when I am saying he could easily be the 2nd best QB in the division this season?  

There is the kiss of death.

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, downundermike said:

There is the kiss of death.

Could he be better than Dak as Dak has a hard time coming back from that serious injury?  Sure but I wouldn't say that is a realistic expectation at all given that Dak is a veteran with years of experience now with an ultra talented offense that he has played in for years now.  Certainly not this season at least.  

On 3/17/2021 at 12:37 AM, EazyEaglez said:

When it comes down to it I think Hurts deserves an opportunity to play out the season to see what he can do. I get why people are concerned with Hurts, because he wasn’t great last season, but I like a guy who is trying to work to get himself better, and there is something to be said about his leadership skills that everyone is raving about. I don’t mind the Eagles brining in a quarterback to push Jalen, but I do think it would be a mistake to draft another quarterback early. Frankly other than Eli Manning most of these top five quarterbacks don’t amount to much anyways. 

Most top five QB picks go to ishy teams. That may have something to do with why they don't amount to much.

1 hour ago, RememberTheKoy said:

How am I saying that Hurts fails when I am saying he could easily be the 2nd best QB in the division this season?  And where at all did I even mention Sirianni?  What a bizarre post by you.  

Are you stupid?  

37 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Are you stupid?  

Are you?  Can you answer my previous post?

How am I saying that Hurts fails when I am saying he could easily be the 2nd best QB in the division this season?  And where at all did I even mention Sirianni?  What a bizarre post by you.  

2 hours ago, eglz1 said:

Most top five QB picks go to ishy teams. That may have something to do with why they don't amount to much.

Many of the good ones turn those teams around too. Lately that hasn’t happened and those guys aren’t staying on those teams. All the more reason to build the talent, because these young quarterbacks aren’t getting the job done. 

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Many of the good ones turn those teams around too. Lately that hasn’t happened and those guys aren’t staying on those teams. All the more reason to build the talent, because these young quarterbacks aren’t getting the job done. 

Lately a lot of young high draft pick QBs have helped their teams in recent years. 

Last year's playoffs:

P.Mahomes

L.Jackson

J.Allen

M.Trubisky

B.Mayfield

J.Goff

1 hour ago, kentwo said:

Lately a lot of young high draft pick QBs have helped their teams in recent years. 

Last year's playoffs:

P.Mahomes

L.Jackson

J.Allen

M.Trubisky

B.Mayfield

J.Goff

Trubisky?? 🤣😂😯🤣😂😂

13 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Are you?  Can you answer my previous post?

Based on your comment below, all I asked was for you to a) rank the East QBs in your mind and b) clarify the intent of your comment below which clearly indicates that Hurts WILL silence his critics iF Sirianni is up to being a competent coach and play caller.  In return, you got puffed up like I was insulting you and tried to win the EMB Tough Guy Award over a simple request to clarify your comment.  I'm sorry that you have trouble remembering the content of your own post.

To answer your question.  No, I am not stupid, but you have shown for years that you are. I know it.  You know it. Everyone here knows it.  Get over yourself. Everyone isn't out to get your dumb ass.

On 3/18/2021 at 8:52 AM, RememberTheKoy said:

Hurts could easily be the second best QB in the division this season. Eagles won't have the second best team but they could have the second best QB who would be an ascending player in Jalen Hurts. 

I really can't wait for him to silence some of the haters here as long as Sirianni shows himself to be a competent coach and play caller. 

1 hour ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Based on your comment below, all I asked was for you to a) rank the East QBs in your mind and b) clarify the intent of your comment below which clearly indicates that Hurts WILL silence his critics iF Sirianni is up to being a competent coach and play caller.  In return, you got puffed up like I was insulting you and tried to win the EMB Tough Guy Award over a simple request to clarify your comment.  I'm sorry that you have trouble remembering the content of your own post.

To answer your question.  No, I am not stupid, but you have shown for years that you are. I know it.  You know it. Everyone here knows it.  Get over yourself. Everyone isn't out to get your dumb ass.

Never once did he mention Sirianni

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Trubisky?? 🤣😂😯🤣😂😂

Believe me I don’t think he’s that good. But he was in the playoffs so that counts for something. 

6 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Never once did he mention Sirianni

I really can't wait for him to silence some of the haters here as long as 😀Sirianni 😀shows himself to be a competent coach and play caller. 

Yep, even though this is the original comment that I asked him to clarify, he never once mentioned Sirianni.

20 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I really can't wait for him to silence some of the haters here as long as 😀Sirianni 😀shows himself to be a competent coach and play caller. 

Yep, even though this is the original comment that I asked him to clarify, he never once mentioned Sirianni.

Never!!!!!

11 hours ago, kentwo said:

Last year's playoffs:

P.Mahomes

L.Jackson

J.Allen

M.Trubisky

B.Mayfield

J.Goff

Trubisky and Goff aren’t on their teams anymore. Mahomes, Jackson, and Allen were not top five picks, but they were first round picks so I’ll give you that. With that being the case Mahomes, Jackson, Allen, Trubisky, Mayfield, and Watson were supposedly drafted in quarterback poor seasons so again I don’t get the rush or need to draft one now. I get it though. This is a quarterback driven league and everyone believes you have to have one. I don’t see the rush considering whoever comes in here will not be talented enough to get the Eagles over the top. 

17 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

You didn't ask for any of that, you just said I'm using Sirianni as an excuse if Hurts fails which I have no idea how you pulled that. 

But now that you asked those things I will answer. 

1) Dak is clearly the best.  Hurts is an unknown but I do believe he will make enough progress in year two to be better than Jones and Fitzpatrick because that isn't that huge of a bar to reach. 

2) If Sirianni can can run an offense that works in the NFL then I have full faith in Hurts year two progression that he will run it well enough to silence all the people here that really perceive him as this absolutely dreadful QB. 

3) my comment how Hurts can be the 2nd best QB but Eagles not 2nd best team isn't a reflection of or blaming Sirianni. It's that we have the worst roster in the division. 

7 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

You didn't ask for any of that, you just said I'm using Sirianni as an excuse if Hurts fails which I have no idea how you pulled that. 

But now that you asked those things I will answer. 

1) Dak is clearly the best.  Hurts is an unknown but I do believe he will make enough progress in year two to be better than Jones and Fitzpatrick because that isn't that huge of a bar to reach. 

2) If Sirianni can can run an offense that works in the NFL then I have full faith in Hurts year two progression that he will run it well enough to silence all the people here that really perceive him as this absolutely dreadful QB. 

3) my comment how Hurts can be the 2nd best QB but Eagles not 2nd best team isn't a reflection of or blaming Sirianni. It's that we have the worst roster in the division. 

Thanks for your input.  It was very clear what I asked earlier.  It is just easier to get instantly puffed up than to slow down and  read and comprehend.

Remember, you also never mentioned Sirianni by name.

Much appreciated content.

2 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

never

Never!!

20 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Trubisky and Goff aren’t on their teams anymore. Mahomes, Jackson, and Allen were not top five picks, but they were first round picks so I’ll give you that. With that being the case Mahomes, Jackson, Allen, Trubisky, Mayfield, and Watson were supposedly drafted in quarterback poor seasons so again I don’t get the rush or need to draft one now. I get it though. This is a quarterback driven league and everyone believes you have to have one. I don’t see the rush considering whoever comes in here will not be talented enough to get the Eagles over the top. 

The 2018 and 2017 classes are being touted as some of the best ever. The year they came out of college there was a lot of hype on those guys. Compare that class to this year's where there aren't the returning star power that there was in those classes. Rattler is a big name, but even he didn't come out this year because the class is just too strong at the top. Shough is transferring and hasn't really shown elite talent through his years at Oregon. Howell might be the most accomplished, he's 6'1 220 and doesn't play in the SEC. Then there are a lot of guys that could have good years, Slovis, Nix, Jones, Young, Tyson, etc... The point is next year there will be QBs that step up and get drafted really high, but they are currently big question marks. So if the current coaching staff really feels one of this year's top guys is a the guy that can fit their system and win for the next ten years, they should take him now and build around him. That's what the Colts were doing until Luck retired, now they're a team that is ready to content struggling to find a QB. If Carson doesn't work out, they have contracts expiring and will soon have to transition back into rebuild mode. 

6 minutes ago, kentwo said:

The 2018 and 2017 classes are being touted as some of the best ever. The year they came out of college there was a lot of hype on those guys. Compare that class to this year's where there aren't the returning star power that there was in those classes. Rattler is a big name, but even he didn't come out this year because the class is just too strong at the top. Shough is transferring and hasn't really shown elite talent through his years at Oregon. Howell might be the most accomplished, he's 6'1 220 and doesn't play in the SEC. Then there are a lot of guys that could have good years, Slovis, Nix, Jones, Young, Tyson, etc... The point is next year there will be QBs that step up and get drafted really high, but they are currently big question marks. So if the current coaching staff really feels one of this year's top guys is a the guy that can fit their system and win for the next ten years, they should take him now and build around him. That's what the Colts were doing until Luck retired, now they're a team that is ready to content struggling to find a QB. If Carson doesn't work out, they have contracts expiring and will soon have to transition back into rebuild mode. 

Quarterbacks are moving via trade now. It’s not beyond the realm of possibility to actually snag an NFL pro now. I mean what if the Packers are ready to move on from Rodgers next year? I certainly believe he still has several good years in the tank left so why. Not just trade for a guy rather than waste years trying to groom a guy who flops like Winston did? Just stating it isn’t just about overpaying/over drafting a quarterback in hopes of developing him. The game has changed. 

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Quarterbacks are moving via trade now. It’s not beyond the realm of possibility to actually snag an NFL pro now. I mean what if the Packers are ready to move on from Rodgers next year? I certainly believe he still has several good years in the tank left so why. Not just trade for a guy rather than waste years trying to groom a guy who flops like Winston did? Just stating it isn’t just about overpaying/over drafting a quarterback in hopes of developing him. The game has changed. 

Look at what teams like the Rams gave up to get a QB. If you can find your guy for one first round pick vs. three, you take that. So if you went after a guy like Rodgers, you're now giving a ton of picks plus have to offer a huge contract for an older player with increased injury risk, declining arm strength (i.e. Brees/Brady), and have a player who might want to do things his way and not the teams way (i.e. Brady Arians relationship.)

Which also goes to show you that good teams want to stay good by taking a QB early. If you risk signing a FA or trading for one, then you also risk the Cam Newton Pats, Jimmy G Niners, Rivers Colts, Bridgewater Panthers, or Foles Bears. Besides those guys and players like Brady (FA), Fitzpatrick (FA), Tannehill, and Cousins (FA) all of the other QBs were drafted by their teams. 

So in the end, overwhelming majority of successful teams are still drafting and developing QBs that fit their system. Just like the Packers are ready to transition to Love when Rodgers starts to decline. 

I can't recall a recent example of a QB that was traded and was really successful. 

7 hours ago, kentwo said:

Which also goes to show you that good teams want to stay good by taking a QB early. If you risk signing a FA or trading for one, then you also risk the Cam Newton Pats, Jimmy G Niners, Rivers Colts, Bridgewater Panthers, or Foles Bears.

Garoppolo led the 49ers to the Super Bowl the season before last. Colts and Bears were in the playoffs (albeit, Rivers was past his prime). So not all total disasters, IMO. They were already stong teams, needing a boost at QB to try to get over the hump.

But there is something to be said about rookie deal QBs. It doesn't hog up so much resources as a veteran QB, whether by re-signing or acquiring via FA/trade. It helps develop the rest of the roster.

It depends on the team situation. For the Eagles, they are depleted everywhere right now, so let's roll with a young QB to invest elsewhere on the roster. It's not as if they're only a QB away.

5 hours ago, toolg said:

Garoppolo led the 49ers to the Super Bowl the season before last. Colts and Bears were in the playoffs (albeit, Rivers was past his prime). So not all total disasters, IMO. They were already stong teams, needing a boost at QB to try to get over the hump.

But there is something to be said about rookie deal QBs. It doesn't hog up so much resources as a veteran QB, whether by re-signing or acquiring via FA/trade. It helps develop the rest of the roster.

It depends on the team situation. For the Eagles, they are depleted everywhere right now, so let's roll with a young QB to invest elsewhere on the roster. It's not as if they're only a QB away.

Those guys did make the playoffs on teams that were already good. Garoppolo did have a stacked defense his best year. He's also only played 30 games in four years, so I'm not sure how happy 49er fans are with his 20+million a year investment. Foles started seven games and was benched for Trubisky, so I wouldn't call him a success. 

The point is, if the team sees a QB they like as the franchise starter for the next ten years, they should take him. You never know when that chance will come again. The superbowl window is only a few years, and you can have a solid team, but without the QB not win, then miss the window, lose players, and have to rebuild. Colts, Bears, Niners, WFT and others are all in that spot of potentially missing their windows if they can't find a quality QB soon. 

14 hours ago, kentwo said:

Look at what teams like the Rams gave up to get a QB. If you can find your guy for one first round pick vs. three, you take that. So if you went after a guy like Rodgers, you're now giving a ton of picks plus have to offer a huge contract for an older player with increased injury risk, declining arm strength (i.e. Brees/Brady), and have a player who might want to do things his way and not the teams way (i.e. Brady Arians relationship.)

Which also goes to show you that good teams want to stay good by taking a QB early. If you risk signing a FA or trading for one, then you also risk the Cam Newton Pats, Jimmy G Niners, Rivers Colts, Bridgewater Panthers, or Foles Bears. Besides those guys and players like Brady (FA), Fitzpatrick (FA), Tannehill, and Cousins (FA) all of the other QBs were drafted by their teams. 

So in the end, overwhelming majority of successful teams are still drafting and developing QBs that fit their system. Just like the Packers are ready to transition to Love when Rodgers starts to decline. 

I can't recall a recent example of a QB that was traded and was really successful. 

The Rams also gave up stuff to go after Goff. So did the Eagles and those young guys didn’t get it done. 22 first round quarterbacks from 2016 and earlier are all on new teams. I’m not that sold any of these young guys in this draft move the needle that much. 

9 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

The Rams also gave up stuff to go after Goff. So did the Eagles and those young guys didn’t get it done. 22 first round quarterbacks from 2016 and earlier are all on new teams. I’m not that sold any of these young guys in this draft move the needle that much. 

It doesn't matter if you're sold on them, it matters about the coaches. 

You can also look at it conversely. ~15 QBs drafted in the first round since 2016 are starters in the NFL. Then you have another eight drafted in the first round in the years before 2016. So around 23 of the 32 teams are using QBs drafted in the first round. Then you have a few second-fourth round guys (Brees, Garappolo, Wilson, Prescott.) The odds of finding a high end QB not in the first round are pretty small. For the most important position on the team, it is critical that you get the right guy when you can get him for cheap. 

It all comes down to if the coaches really like one of the QBs at six. Most important position in sports and statistically most successful QBs are taken in the top 15. Inside the Birds Podcast did a good explanation on why you take QB at six IF the team likes a guy. If they don't have any of those guys rated higher than Hurts, then sure trade down and get more picks or take a WR/TE/OT/CB. But Hurts was never drafted to be the starter, he's a second round pick, and in his short time didn't explode like Herbert did last season. So the team is not obligated to go with him if they like someone better. Now maybe if he was a first round pick, then it would be a different story. 

It's also notable that both Goff and Wentz were on their rookie deals when their team went to the Super Bowl, so there's that argument. The Eagles had the luxury of being able to spend more on defense and the offensive skill positions while Wentz was on his rookie deal. Nick Foles turned out to be a bargain signing for that time.

An argument can be made to go QB at 6 if the team feels they found their guy and they grade him significantly higher than Hurts coming out. In the grand scheme of things, it would be a disappointment to not land one of those stud WRs or Kyle Pitts in the short-term, but it could end up being the right move in the long term. 

I think Hurts has shown enough flashes to get a fair shot at the QB1 spot for one full season, but not every QB class is the same. When the Eagles landed the 4th overall pick in 2013, they picked a bad year to need a QB. EJ Manuel was the QB that went in the 1st round, Geno Smith went in the 2nd round, and Matt Barkley was the Eagles 4th round pick.

If the team sees Jalen Hurts ceiling as Dak Prescott, but they view Justin Fields ceiling as Deshaun Watson (strictly from a talent perspective, not off-the-field decision making), it's hard to argue against them making the selection of Fields at 6. If they do go QB though, I hope its Fields and not Trey Lance. It's just too soon to take a chance on another NDSU QB with an even smaller sample size to work with. Let's stick with QBs that played well in the big conferences. I'd even hesitate with Zach Wilson. Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields are the only QBs I'd feel comfortable with the Eagles taking if it came down to it.

Archived