Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

Obviously the best case scenario is that Hurts becomes a franchise QB and we are free to spend the capital building a team around him.

I would also prefer if he does enough to keep the job an extra year so we don't have to overdraft a QB from a weak class next year, would much rather wait for 2023 to go all in for DJ Uiagalelei.

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, D-Shiznit said:

Obvious the best case scenario is that Hurts becomes a franchise QB and we are free to spend the capital building a team around him.

I would also prefer if he does enough to keep the job an extra year so we don't have to overdraft a QB from a weak class next year, would much rather wait for 2023 to go all in for DJ Uiagalelei.

Agreed. I'd be upset if we have to burn a couple firsts just to get a QB. Especially if they get one because they feel they need to, and not so much because they really like a guy.

36 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Not really. If they're losing games while consistently scoring 24 or more points, that's a good indication that the defense is the obvious problem, and the offense is doing it's part. 

Yeah sure but what if Hurts looks average but is helped by the talent around him. 

8 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yeah sure but what if Hurts looks average but is helped by the talent around him. 

I’m sure that all gets taken into consideration. Fans may have a tendency to be more black and white in how they see players, but I’m sure the FO and coaching staffs take a lot more nuance into consideration. 

Last year, the OLine was awful. Every play was like watching a jailbreak. If the OLine recovers this year, Hurts has a chance of keeping the job another year. 

On 4/30/2021 at 9:22 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

That may be true but, chicago is where QBs go to die for sure

I wanted eagles to grab Kellen Mond. Think eagles would have grabbed him that round if vikings wouldn't have. I do like the undrafted QB from Wake Forrest eagles picked up though.

16 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Absolutely. But what if the offense is pretty good, the defense is bad and this team ends up being bad? That's a difficult one. 

That is exactly what we can expect.  And sadly, we can hope for.  A young rebuilding offense and new coaching.   They need to build chemistry.   

next year we have plenty of draft capital to address the secondary next year plus i fully expect some moves are coming for another cb/lb/s 

I looked at Hurts’ college stats. He was more accurate in college. Maybe he has a good year.

17 hours ago, XoqTionR said:

I wanted eagles to grab Kellen Mond. Think eagles would have grabbed him that round if vikings wouldn't have. I do like the undrafted QB from Wake Forrest eagles picked up though.

Newman will potentially be a very solid backup after this year. His style is much closer to Jalen’s then Concrete Shoes Flacco. 

8 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Newman will potentially be a very solid backup after this year. His style is much closer to Jalen’s then Concrete Shoes Flacco. 

I've not seen a lot of him, only YouTube highlights, but I have liked what I've seen. I think he's got a good arm, the confidence to throw in to tight windows and he could develop in to a nice back up. We shall see. 

10 hours ago, Outlaw said:

I can't stand Flacco. I also think  newman is a solid pickup. 

I am okay with Flacco for now. I’d like a more mobile QB with upside potential. 

1 hour ago, CouchKing said:

I am okay with Flacco for now. I’d like a more mobile QB with upside potential. 

I just don't get the signing. He doesn't fit the same style as Hurts so if he comes in they need to change their entire offense. And he's cost roughly $3.5M against the cap for a guy who's really not that good. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I just don't get the signing. He doesn't fit the same style as Hurts so if he comes in they need to change their entire offense. And he's cost roughly $3.5M against the cap for a guy who's really not that good. 

I suspect that they will try to tone down the "one read and run" stuff and try to make Hurts into a more traditional QB.  We won't win consistently playing his typical style.  It's not sustainable.

12 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

I suspect that they will try to tone down the "one read and run" stuff and try to make Hurts into a more traditional QB.  We won't win consistently playing his typical style.  It's not sustainable.

Oh they have to do that. They have to try and coach him up, get him to stay in the pocket more and make plays in the pocket. 

I see Flacco as an emergency QB and senior advisor in the QB room. Nice idea, but I’d prefer a real prospect. Looks to me that we were wasting time with Nate Sudfeld. 

1 minute ago, CouchKing said:

I see Flacco as an emergency QB and senior advisor in the QB room. Nice idea, but I’d prefer a real prospect. Looks to me that we were wasting time with Nate Sudfeld. 

Sudfeld is with the 49ers now. Signed with them April 7th

7 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

Absolutely criminal we let an unstoppable backup QB get away. Howie needs fired!!

2 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Absolutely criminal we let an unstoppable backup QB get away. Howie needs fired!!

If that gets him fired then I'm all for it

Just now, Mike030270 said:

If that gets him fired then I'm all for it

Hell, me too!

22 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He is here to mentor Hurts. Help him in the film room etc.

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh they have to do that. They have to try and coach him up, get him to stay in the pocket more and make plays in the pocket. 

Right. That brings his style a little closer to Flacco, so the offense shouldn't have to adjust much WHEN he gets hurt playing hero ball. 

Flacco is solid enough to win games.  If he was the starter, I would be fine with it.

2 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

this is great news

5 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Right. That brings his style a little closer to Flacco, so the offense shouldn't have to adjust much WHEN he gets hurt playing hero ball. 

Flacco is solid enough to win games.  If he was the starter, I would be fine with it.

But it doesn't really does it... You aren't going to run an offense the same with Hurts as you would with Flacco.

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But it doesn't really does it... You aren't going to run an offense the same with Hurts as you would with Flacco.

No kidding?!  Each offense has some specific actions and systems tied to individual QBs.  Each of them have their own packages.  It's always been that way and always will be that way.  It's no different that the change in offense from Wentz to Foles (or any other QB change).  

My point is...I sure hope the Eagles certainly will build an offense that attempts to tone down Hurts' running tendency and try to make him work from a safer, more controlled environment...where most QBs work best.  If the Eagles are only going to build a running QB offense that has Hurts running college options and naked sweeps, he will be done for the season soon after it starts (and if they can't adjust after, that makes Flacco a stupid signing).  I doubt that happens though.   I'd bet right now that they are working with Hurts to stay in the pocket, go through progressions, and protect himself...you know, standard QB stuff...the stuff Flacco (and every other successful QB) does already. 

We will find out soon enough.   

Archived