Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

2 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

That "just wait until next year" thing is also loaded with risk.  Prove that next year is stronger with NFL talent and that we will be in position (without wasting needed resources) to get a QB and I may start to agree with you.  The only glimmer of hope that I see with keeping Hurts the starter through a more difficult schedule next year will be that we will lose more and get a higher pick. 

Just like Howie tried to tell us there was no good QBs after the Goff draft..... Then this past year there was supposedly 5 highly rated QBd that are going to be taken in the first 10 picks..... Mac Jones is the only one that looked worth a damn and even he looked average. 

Long story short no one on here including Howie have no clue how good any of the QBs will be coming out this year or the following... So get whoever it is they think can be that guy and get him period. 

So I agree, enough with the there is no QBs this year. We have no clue 

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Yes I agree a top 15 - 20 QB, which Hurts was last year, is unlikely to be good enough unless he has a really good team around him that gets hot at the right time.  You want my analysis of Hurts, I can copy and paste from another thread. It's far from all glowing.

But read the QB free agent thread. There are comments like "anyone of them but Hurts". The free agent list is awful. None of them are potentially top 10 QBs as you set out and any half decent ones would cost a lot more than Hurts. Yet a fair majority on this board want to get rid of Hurts and sign one of them. It's blind hate. 

Quality QBs outside the first - off the top of my head - Wilson, Brady, Prescott, Garoppolo, Carr, Cousins. Not bad right?

No I didn't watch Hurts in college. But he's evidently progressed (see above videos). And I've seen him progress with my own eyes in the NFL. I don't really care what he did 4 years ago.

There will always be an opportunity to draft a QB, but why do it this year when the prospects are so lowly rated and we desperately need help with the Defense. 

Good job on the QBs.  You named 5 in the past 20 years...if you are given credit for Garappolo or Cousins (serviceable starters).  By the way, Brees, Carr, Dalton, and Kaep would be the most prolific 2nd rounders this century.  Wilson in the 3rd...this century.   Dak and Brady in the later rounds.  2 Superstars (Brees and Wilson) in those 2nd and 3rd rounds this century.   That's not a good track record after the 1st, but even that is a crapshoot as I had in the earlier posts.  History doesn't point to a highly flawed Hurts being the exception.  

That said, you have to take drafting QBs within the totality of the environment that you are in. You can't just look at these guys and say "none of them will ever be good enough, so I'll pass."  If so, your short list would be minus Brady and Wilson (add Brees from my list) as guys no one thought was good enough.  We have to look at what we have, what's his contract, who is available over the next 2 years, and where you project the team to slot.  You and a few others think we can skip QB this year and then be guaranteed the positioning, the capital, and the partner to trade up.  That is flawed logic, especially if none of those are true and we have to roll into a contract year with a subpar Hurts (team loses leverage with contract and trade).  

I am not for chasing a QB in this draft, but if Willis, Pickett, Howell, or Strong is there at one of our 1st picks, one of them is an Eagle...I'd guess Strong is the only one available then. If Ridder is available later, he'd look good as an Eagle.  If they are all gone, so be it. If Howie and Lurie want to trade up/down for someone they want, so be it. However, it's too much risk to simply pass and hope next year miraculously falls into place with Hurts' development or the draft.  All of these guys have the basic skills to be as good (or better) than him and we have the resources now.

1 hour ago, jsb235 said:

So answer the question on mechanics, if you are such a film nerd. He uses a few specific terms in the first video that you should be able to state right now.

Obviously answering this late gives you all the justification to say I went back and watched, but the only two I can think of is toesy or heel clicky....not exactly technical terms. He also brings up he starts off unable to string along good plays in both videos, and questions his decision making aka pulling the ball away for the wrong read in option plays. He pretty says he isn't a disaster and there are some elements in his game to build upon, but doesn't do anything too tier as a QB. Does bring up his leg strength quite a bit off the top of my head.  So back to my comment of top 15-16 isn't enough and he described pretty much that type of QB in these videos. 

Just now, downundermike said:

This will all be a whole lot of discussion about nothing after draft weekend and the Eagles have a new QB.

1687626475_giphy(1).gif.fa1c523e30369e7967d00bb324646fed.gif

35 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Good job on the QBs.  You named 5 in the past 20 years...if you are given credit for Garappolo or Cousins (serviceable starters).  By the way, Brees, Carr, Dalton, and Kaep would be the most prolific 2nd rounders this century.  Wilson in the 3rd...this century.   Dak and Brady in the later rounds.  2 Superstars (Brees and Wilson) in those 2nd and 3rd rounds this century.   That's not a good track record after the 1st, but even that is a crapshoot as I had in the earlier posts.  History doesn't point to a highly flawed Hurts being the exception.  

That said, you have to take drafting QBs within the totality of the environment that you are in. You can't just look at these guys and say "none of them will ever be good enough, so I'll pass."  If so, your short list would be minus Brady and Wilson (add Brees from my list) as guys no one thought was good enough.  We have to look at what we have, what's his contract, who is available over the next 2 years, and where you project the team to slot.  You and a few others think we can skip QB this year and then be guaranteed the positioning, the capital, and the partner to trade up.  That is flawed logic, especially if none of those are true and we have to roll into a contract year with a subpar Hurts (team loses leverage with contract and trade).  

I am not for chasing a QB in this draft, but if Willis, Pickett, Howell, or Strong is there at one of our 1st picks, one of them is an Eagle...I'd guess Strong is the only one available then.  If they are gone, so be it.  But, it's too much risk to simply pass and hope next year miraculously falls into place with Hurts' development or the draft.  All of those guys can be as good (or better) as he is.

The Eagles took Hurts with a second round pick. Because they believed he could be a legitimate starter in this league and could be a plan B to Wentz. I didn't like or agree with the pick. Wentz didn't either. Not that many QBs are taken in the second. For every second round QB failure you can point to in the last 10 years, I bet I can point to two first round failures.  

Cut to 2021 draft. Reports are Lurie instructed Eagles to build around Hurts. They had a shot at Fields and Mac Jones, both of whom were projected comfortable first rounders in a stronger QB draft. The Eagles didn't take either.

You obviously like those 4 QBs. But a lot of mock drafts/projections have Howell and Strong out of the first round. I expect the Eagles to do their homework. But everything I read suggests that this is a weak QB draft and next year will be strong. And no I don't think we will be guaranteed anything next year. But that's not a reason to force it this year on a middling prospect, that may or may not have more potential than our current starting QB. 

14 minutes ago, downundermike said:

This will all be a whole lot of discussion about nothing after draft weekend and the Eagles have a new QB.

13 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

1687626475_giphy(1).gif.fa1c523e30369e7967d00bb324646fed.gif

There will be a whole lot of crying by you two after the draft weekend when the Eagles don't take a QB. 

31 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

The Eagles took Hurts with a second round pick. Because they believed he could be a legitimate starter in this league and could be a plan B to Wentz. I didn't like or agree with the pick. Wentz didn't either. Not that many QBs are taken in the second. For every second round QB failure you can point to in the last 10 years, I bet I can point to two first round failures.  

Cut to 2021 draft. Reports are Lurie instructed Eagles to build around Hurts. They had a shot at Fields and Mac Jones, both of whom were projected comfortable first rounders in a stronger QB draft. The Eagles didn't take either.

You obviously like those 4 QBs. But a lot of mock drafts/projections have Howell and Strong out of the first round. I expect the Eagles to do their homework. But everything I read suggests that this is a weak QB draft and next year will be strong. And no I don't think we will be guaranteed anything next year. But that's not a reason to force it this year on a middling prospect, that may or may not have more potential than our current starting QB. 

Who's coming our next year that is clear cut better than this class?  And what will it take to get there from what is likely to be a mid-1st position?  You don't watch much college football, so be very careful.  Stroud and Young won't get out of the top 5 and will be out of our range.  After those two, who's next that bests the current crop?   

I don't particularly love any of these QBs.  I just happen to believe that they have more upside than Hurts and will be there when we pick.  

Add: A minimum of 4 QBs will go in the 1st - WIllis, Corral, Pickett, and Howell are locks.  RIdder is rising.  Strong is based on physical.  Doesn't mean that any will be superstars...but several will become serviceable starters.  Just because there isn't a clear cut #1 does not make it a bad class.  

25 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

There will be a whole lot of crying by you two after the draft weekend when the Eagles don't take a QB. 

I learned long ago that it's no skin off my ass what Howie does or what anyone on here says (even those using advanced metrics).  I just find it fun that you can't put together a solid argument for your position that this QB class is bad and has no upside over Hurts. Here's what I know.  With our 1st round positions and our needs across the board, Howie can hardly go wrong with the use of the resources whether its a QB or something else.  This team has a ton of needs and multiple ways to deal with it.  Enough of this silliness.

19 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Who's coming our next year that is clear cut better than this class?  And what will it take to get there from what is likely to be a mid-1st position?  You don't watch much college football, so be very careful.  Stroud and Young won't get out of the top 5 and will be out of our range.  After those two, who's next that bests the current crop?   

I don't particularly love any of these QBs.  I just happen to believe that they have more upside than Hurts and will be there when we pick.  

The advantage of taking one this year would be having a year to polish a rough pick that they feel has a lot of promise. So the question becomes do they feel a QB available in the middle of the first round have enough promise to be worth the pick. Take a QB next year that also needs a lot of polish and they lose a year ..... but they may have a very good to excellent DB or DE that they won't have if they take a QB this year. That's why they get the big bucks and I don't.

48 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

Obviously answering this late gives you all the justification to say I went back and watched, but the only two I can think of is toesy or heel clicky....not exactly technical terms. He also brings up he starts off unable to string along good plays in both videos, and questions his decision making aka pulling the ball away for the wrong read in option plays. He pretty says he isn't a disaster and there are some elements in his game to build upon, but doesn't do anything too tier as a QB. Does bring up his leg strength quite a bit off the top of my head.  So back to my comment of top 15-16 isn't enough and he described pretty much that type of QB in these videos. 

He spent the first four minutes of the first video talking about Hurts' throwing motion, how it wasn't quick enough and didn't lend itself to accurate throws. His exact quote - "throwing motion wise it's just not as quick as...most guys who are doing it on Sunday are."

It is never brought up in the second video.

It is pretty obvious that Hurts has made strides with his mechanics if the thing that gets mentioned first in one video isn't even mentioned in the second.

In fact, it is telling that mechanics are constantly discussed in the first video and aren't mentioned at all until the second video is halfway through. And then it's pretty much some minor footwork issues.

Maybe he never gets good enough. But it is clear that he has drastically improved over the past two years, and it baffles me that some fans boldly state he can't ever get better when it is literally happening in front of their eyes. 

35 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

The advantage of taking one this year would be having a year to polish a rough pick that they feel has a lot of promise. So the question becomes do they feel a QB available in the middle of the first round have enough promise to be worth the pick. Take a QB next year that also needs a lot of polish and they lose a year ..... but they may have a very good to excellent DB or DE that they won't have if they take a QB this year. That's why they get the big bucks and I don't.

Yep.  Unless you can see the team giving Hurts a 2nd contract and him performing at the appropriate level, the team has to start considering QB options and they are in position this year to not have to package up tons of resources to get one and there is no guarantee that they will be in position to get an equivalent talent next year...plus Hurts' trade value bottoms out in a contract year.  We also pick up 2 years of rookie contract this year or 3 next.  There just isn't enough behind the main two of Stroud and Young next year to pass if they like someone this year.  I am sure that the organization has the future mapped out pretty well and won't get caught in no man's land with a QB, like happened when Wentz pushed them in a corner.

53 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Add: A minimum of 4 QBs will go in the 1st - WIllis, Corral, Pickett, and Howell are locks.  RIdder is rising.  Strong is based on physical.  Doesn't mean that any will be superstars...but several will become serviceable starters.  Just because there isn't a clear cut #1 does not make it a bad class.  

Look, I'll break it down:

1) Although I have very real concerns, I haven't given up on Hurts as the potential long term starter here and unless there is a clear cut upgrade I want to see what he can do next year with hopefully a veteran WR2 and a defense that can keep a top 12 QB to less than 80 completion percentage.

2) I believe the Eagles feel as I do. They drafted Hurts. They started him when Wentz was struggling and they traded Wentz and kept Hurts as starter despite the opportunity to add highly regarded prospects in the draft last year.

3) Based on what I have read this is a limited class for QBs. There are no automatic top 10 picks as there are most years. You have said that a serviceable starter is not enough. Hurts is already that or close to that, so I do not see it makes sense to take another project, with a small hope he might turn out to be a star, but with the more probably upside of a serviceable starter.

4) As you say I do not watch college football. But you've already said that Stroud and Young will go top 5 next year, so that's 2 QB at least who have a higher potential than this year's crop. That may well be out of our range, but takes two QB needy teams out of the equation as well. 

5) There are no guarantees as you say in 2023 or any year. But if we continue to build the team with the picks we've got, then hopefully we will be a QB away, like the Bucs last year and like the Rams this year. If Hurts isn't the guy, we can get him through the draft, trade or free agency once we have a strong enough team. I don't want to turn into the Browns, drafting a new franchise QB every 2 years.

As you say I don't think we can go any further. Quite simply you have given up on Hurts and I haven't, so that is going to influence our views quite a lot. 

3 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Look, I'll break it down:

1) Although I have very real concerns, I haven't given up on Hurts as the potential long term starter here and unless there is a clear cut upgrade I want to see what he can do next year with hopefully a veteran WR2 and a defense that can keep a top 12 QB to less than 80 completion percentage.  He has a chance, if he can start to read defenses, stay in the pocket, make progressions, deliver the ball on time, deliver the ball with accuracy at all levels, and learn that the middle of the field is also part of the game.  Let's keep hoping.  It will probably work out.

2) I believe the Eagles feel as I do. They drafted Hurts. They started him when Wentz was struggling and they traded Wentz and kept Hurts as starter despite the opportunity to add highly regarded prospects in the draft last year.  Ultimately, they had no choice.  Wentz decided that he was not coming back and they had to trade him.  Wasn't optional.

3) Based on what I have read this is a limited class for QBs. There are no automatic top 10 picks as there are most years. You have said that a serviceable starter is not enough. Hurts is already that or close to that, so I do not see it makes sense to take another project, with a small hope he might turn out to be a star, but with the more probably upside of a serviceable starter.  Upside and regaining 2 years of rookie contract and development is the key to me. 

4) As you say I do not watch college football. But you've already said that Stroud and Young will go top 5 next year, so that's 2 QB at least who have a higher potential than this year's crop. That may well be out of our range, but takes two QB needy teams out of the equation as well.  The problem is that there is nothing behind those two, unlike this year where there are multiple mid round, developable talents.  There is a huge fall off after those two next year at this moment.  

5) There are no guarantees as you say in 2023 or any year. But if we continue to build the team with the picks we've got, then hopefully we will be a QB away, like the Bucs last year and like the Rams this year. If Hurts isn't the guy, we can get him through the draft, trade or free agency once we have a strong enough team. I don't want to turn into the Browns, drafting a new franchise QB every 2 years.  Ahhh,  you prefer the rent-a-QB of Bucs and Rams versus the Bengals, Bills, Chargers, and Chiefs version. Got it. 

As you say I don't think we can go any further. Quite simply you have given up on Hurts and I haven't, so that is going to influence our views quite a lot. 

We will see what the Eagles will do.  Either way, we both still hope they win.

4 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Yes absolutely - if the Eagles move on from Hurts I will be behind the next guy.

As I said - I don't see the benefit of us going back and forth anymore - I generally respect your posts and you are from the worst anti-Hurts guy in my view.

I would just say I definitely don't prefer the rent-a-QB way. The best chance to win it all is a good team and an elite QB on a rookie deal allowing a strong team to be built around him. It's not always possible though. Let's see what happens.

So to be clear, we are supposed to be content with Hurts because he went from a horrific passer to a crappy passer who sucks a bit less, just as long as we can slap a "PROGRESS" label on him?

Almost every player gets better from year 1 to 2 to 3 in their NFL exposure...especially the crappy ones with nowhere to go but up.  That has nothing to do with whether or not they are remotely good enough.

4 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Reagor - he's been a clear bust so far - but I don't agree with the hate or the booing. He at least looked like he could be a WR3 in his rookie year, now he has clearly lost all confidence. Happened to Agholor as well.

JJAW has done absolutely nothing - poor comparison. Objectively bad WR. 

Barnett isn't bad - and he was a key part of our Super Bowl team. But now he is just a solid starter who commits too many penalties. 

Gannon needs a chance with an injection of better young players. Schwartz got a raw deal as well.

Hurts - he's done a decent job, improved from last season and helped an awful team improve to the playoffs. I have no issue with people thinking he might not be the long term answer or looking to upgrade - they may be right. But I resent those who want to replace him with QBs like Mitchell Trubisky.

I think Reagor is clearly bad. He can't run routes, he plays lazy, concentration issues, absolutely horrible after the catch which is pretty insane to think about considering he's verifiably a good athlete 

Barnett is definitely bad. I don't know how anyone at this point will ever defend him. We've watched him get free rushes and still miss lol 

Gannon I'm less with the crowd on hating him but Gannon didn't show any real ability to make adjustments. He'd just let us get beat over and over again 

And Hurts was simply bad. The 7-2 streak the Eagles had were almost all against horiffic teams or a horiffic QB or both. In that time, Hurts averaged 23 pass attempts per game. To put into perspective how low that is, we were last in in the NFL with 29 passes per game. We won never because of Hurts passing. We won because of our opponent or because we ran down everyone's throat

It's so obvious Hurts has poor pocket presence (with the best OL in the league too), is constantly missing wide open players because he doesn't see them, misses players because he's not accurate, he has a weak arm, and can only throw towards the right side of the field

It's so much wrong and problematic with him that it's just too much to overcome. Why are we defending this guy instead of using the available resources we have to get a real QB or someone with real upside?

2 hours ago, jsb235 said:

He spent the first four minutes of the first video talking about Hurts' throwing motion, how it wasn't quick enough and didn't lend itself to accurate throws. His exact quote - "throwing motion wise it's just not as quick as...most guys who are doing it on Sunday are."

It is never brought up in the second video.

It is pretty obvious that Hurts has made strides with his mechanics if the thing that gets mentioned first in one video isn't even mentioned in the second.

In fact, it is telling that mechanics are constantly discussed in the first video and aren't mentioned at all until the second video is halfway through. And then it's pretty much some minor footwork issues.

Maybe he never gets good enough. But it is clear that he has drastically improved over the past two years, and it baffles me that some fans boldly state he can't ever get better when it is literally happening in front of their eyes. 

If you think all that's left is some minor footwork issue then I'll accept you are a Hurt's/just eagle fan versus being a football fan. He is very incomplete with a scared arm. He won't pull the trigger. He plays in fear and I truly believe you can't fix fear. Once a man is gunshy, he is just that. You don't teach people to play fearless. He stares down a play he obviously sees because they aren't open enough and goes to the more comfortable play. You know who does that? Back ups and there isn't nothing wrong with a second round pick floating around the league making a career stepping in from time to time. 

8 hours ago, Shalodeep said:

If you think all that's left is some minor footwork issue then I'll accept you are a Hurt's/just eagle fan versus being a football fan. He is very incomplete with a scared arm. He won't pull the trigger. He plays in fear and I truly believe you can't fix fear. Once a man is gunshy, he is just that. You don't teach people to play fearless. He stares down a play he obviously sees because they aren't open enough and goes to the more comfortable play. You know who does that? Back ups and there isn't nothing wrong with a second round pick floating around the league making a career stepping in from time to time. 

There's just something magical about Hurts that causes some fans to completely overlook the glaring issues with him and/or how it affects the team.  It's actually pretty unusual for Eagles fans.  I guess it's just easy to settle for "well, he's good enough" versus venturing into the unknown. It's just a matter of time now...there is no way for this team to give him a second contract.

9 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

You're wrong about there being nothing behind Stroud and Young next year, Hendon Hooker at Tennessee, Will Rogers at Mississippi State, Jake Haener at Fresno will likely be in first round contention if they carry on as they played this year, Tyler Van Dyke at Miami, McCall at Coastal Carolina, Levis at Kentucky and Jefferson at Arkansas will be day two or 3 prospects, guys like Dillon Gabriel and Hank Bachmeier in the 4th would be worth a flyer.  The NFL Draft websites will talk up Uigalelei, Slovis and Jurkovec again, maybe Rattler rebuilds his reputation after a transfer.

There are way more prospects worth keeping an eye on next year.

29 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

You're wrong about there being nothing behind Stroud and Young next year, Hendon Hooker at Tennessee, Will Rogers at Mississippi State, Jake Haener at Fresno will likely be in first round contention if they carry on as they played this year, Tyler Van Dyke at Miami, McCall at Coastal Carolina, Levis at Kentucky and Jefferson at Arkansas will be day two or 3 prospects, guys like Dillon Gabriel and Hank Bachmeier in the 4th would be worth a flyer.  The NFL Draft websites will talk up Uigalelei, Slovis and Jurkovec again, maybe Rattler rebuilds his reputation after a transfer.

There are way more prospects worth keeping an eye on next year.

Are you trying to make a quantity over quality point?

Right now, aside from the first 2 concensus premier names (that are likely out of reach), there is a fall off.  None of those players are in a different stratosphere than the top QB picks in this draft. We will likely be picking mid-1st again next year and looking a similarly talented players this year and next in that slot.  This draft is getting downgraded for a lack of a separated #1 QB.  Pickett, Willis, Corral,etc. aren't instantly falling to the 3rd round just because Stroid and Young are coming out.

Either way, we are riding and praying with Hurts in the near term...however long that is.

2 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Right now, aside from the first 2 concensus premier names (that are likely out of reach), there is a fall off.  None of those players are in a different stratosphere than the top QB picks in this draft. We will likely be picking mid-1st again next year and looking a similarly talented players this year and next in that slot.  This draft is getting downgraded for a lack of a separated #1 QB.  Pickett, Willis, Corral,etc. aren't instantly falling to the 3rd round just because Stroid and Young are coming out.

Either way, we are riding and praying with Hurts in the near term...however long that is.

You said there was nobody behind behind Stroud and Young, and that isn't true, Rogers had better numbers than Corral this year in the same division. This draft is getting downgraded at QB because nobody good is coming out.

I've said before, by this part in the draft cycle last year the first QB's off the board were locked in as top 3 overall picks in all the mock drafts, Kiper and Jeremiah both had Lawrence and Wilson nailed on for top 3 and Lance or Fields going in top ten from their first mock draft. This year Jeremiah has Denver taking Pickett QB1 at 9 but thinks ultimately they'll trade for a Vet, Kiper thinks QB1 will be Willis to Washington at 11. Willis especially is a 2nd rounder in a normal year, a small school guy with ordinary numbers but a live arm.

Pickett is the only guy this year that would be in the conversation for Round 1 last year and he'd be late 1st.

I'd rather ride with Hurts and take a guy like Zappe to stash than risk a first rounder on a guy who's there by default.  If Ridder or Strong are there at 52 I might have a think about it, but Ridder is basically a taller Hurts, a slightly stronger arm and slightly weaker legs who may develop into Josh Allen or Marcus Mariota.

4 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

And none of those players in 2023 guarantees they will be any better than this year's crop. 

12 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

And none of those players in 2023 guarantees they will be any better than this year's crop. 

That's my point, especially after the identified front runners.  We likely have the same talents available this year or next and the same chance at success....just a different name on the back of the jersey.

22 hours ago, jsb235 said:

I don't think anyone things he is good enough right now. And he might never get better.

But the fact remains that there isn't a viable option to replace him. The rookie draft class looks bad. Any of the three decent vet options is going to be too expensive both in terms of cap space and draft picks.

So the smartest play is to clearly give him another year.

The dumb play is chasing something that isn't there. There isn't a qb from this draft class who can step in and be a day 1, top 10 qb. And it is likely there is only one who has the tools to become that, and he's probably the least ready to play and poses the biggest gamble. All the other qbs are flawed. They lack the arm strength, the physical build or the athleticism to be a top 10 qb, both now or anytime in their careers. That means some teams will be spending a top draft pick on what is almost certain to be a mediocre outcome, which is exactly what you say you want to avoid, i.e. "not terrible but not good enough."

You may not like that the team will be starting Hurts next year, but maybe it's time for you to accept that it is the smartest play they can make. 

Minshew is cheaper, a better passer, and already on the team

Archived