Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

17 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

No, but I am guessing you care about me more than I care about you.

If my memory serves correctly, you were the one that chose to start this song and dance between the two of us.

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While admittedly I didn't read the entire Twitter exchange (so I could be wrong) the guy does absolutely nothing to substantiate what he's saying aside from allegedly being a former NFL scout.

I'll try to make it easy:

The fact that Hurts got progressively worse across the board as the season went on would indicate that he wasn't reading the field well.

The fact that we had to run the ball more would indicate that he wasnt reading the field well.

The fact that we can collectively see in real time and after the fact that he is consistently missing wide open players would indicate he wasnt reading the field well.

The fact that a large chunk of his completions were at or behind the line of scrimmage would indicate he wasnt reading the field well.

The fact that an NFL level coach was telling his players he can't read the defense would indicate he wasnt reading the field well.

The fact that he was 35% (the actual number escapes me at the moment, but it was around here) beyond a single yard against the Bucs would indicate he wasnt reading the field well.

It doesn't need to be complicated.

16 hours ago, Thrive said:

So you mean the EMB is full of out-of-shape wannabe scouts who haven’t come to terms with the fact that they probably don’t have a clue as to what they’re watching on Sundays? Color me shocked.

Oh but Thrive, I saw a clip of a WIDE OPEN receiver and Hurts CLEARLY didn’t see him. This means Hurts just can’t read defenses and yes sir, I know football and I’m from down under. 

I don’t need to be a "scout” to realize Hurts its not a good quarterback. He’s a bad quarterback. The best thing this franchise could do is playing anyone BUT Hurts at quarterback. 

Just now, AngryBird said:

I don’t need to be a "scout” to realize Hurts its not a good quarterback. He’s a bad quarterback. The best thing this franchise could do is playing anyone BUT Hurts at quarterback. 

Greg Ward, Jr. to the rescue!!!

10 hours ago, Swoop said:

I'm regards to Dungy, we can just as easily find sources (like the Bucs coach) saying the opposite. It goes both ways.

Reese though? Come on. 

Seth begins answering a question at about 13:10 and then goes on about what he would do regarding Hurts / Eagles' QB (you would need to listen for a few minutes)

These aren't the only sources out there and there will be more in the future (on both sides). I expect Jaws, for example,  to be asked his opinion on the matter during this offseason and it will be interesting to hear from him now that our 2021 season has concluded. Your complaint was on the "anonymous" source used earlier. I'll happily give you well-known sources.

Dan Orlovsky has recently shared concerns about Hurts' game at this point, but he also believes he should absolutely be the QB in 2022. 

(note: before the week 18 meeting):

https://www.nfl.com/videos/baldinger-i-have-more-confidence-in-hurts-than-prescott-right-now

23 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Jalen Hurts is presently an objectively bad passer.  Not debatable.

Maybe he has improved (debatable).  Maybe he will improve more (debatable, possible).

So now, let's step away from Hurts.  Big picture.  Why do you want to build the team around the hope of an objectively bad passer improving?  Wouldn't you want to start with a qb that doesn't suck at throwing the football and see if they can improve?

I can't recall ever seeing a QB "suck at throwing the football" worse than Josh Allen in his first year, so there's hope for Hurts because as it stands now Josh Allen is a top 3 QB.

Hurts, Sirianni, and the QB coach need to review the film of every game and see the mistakes made, it shouldn't be hard to find them as there were many, especially the bolting from the pocket for no reason.  If these guys are on a beach somewhere none of them is worth a damn, they need to review these mistake ASAP.

2 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

I can't recall ever seeing a QB "suck at throwing the football" worse than Josh Allen in his first year, so there's hope for Hurts because as it stands now Josh Allen is a top 3 QB.

Hurts, Sirianni, and the QB coach need to review the film of every game and see the mistakes made, it shouldn't be hard to find them as there were many, especially the bolting from the pocket for no reason.  If these guys are on a beach somewhere none of them is worth a damn, they need to review these mistake ASAP.

What Hurts should focus on is being more decisive and  getting the ball out quicker. When he does extend a play, he needs to pull the trigger when he has a receiver getting open (he can't wait until the guy is clearly open). I would imagine much of the coaching will be emphasizing these areas for improvement. It's not as much that he "sucks at throwing" --- it's that he needs to speed up his game for the NFL. Part of that comes with experience and maturity, but there are coachable aspects that can be worked on as well. 

24 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

So Jalen Hurts can be good because Josh Allen was once bad.  That same argument applies to me as a franchise QB.  Josh Allen could hang his hat on being 6'5" and having a rare arm.

All anyone can say about Hurts is "gosh darnit people like him."

On 1/29/2022 at 12:09 PM, Thrive said:

You are really gonna spend an off-season on this schtick? Your team has a young ascending QB on the cheap with cap space and draft picks, primed to start seriously contending as early as next year and yet folks like you will spend the off-season miserable and depressed about the status of this team.

Only to realize in November 2022 what they could have realized in November 2021: the good times have arrived again in Philly and we can relax and enjoy the ride.

No doubt. We were seriously contending on January 16, 2022. To save you finding a calendar, that was the Eagles-Bucs wildcard game. Here's the box score. Holy cow, look at that! Hurts only had 13 fewer passing yards than Brady. That's seriously contending for sure!!!! And the defense held the defending world champs scoreless in the 4th quarter!!! I'm going to make reservations for next year's Super Bowlzzzzz this very minute.

1 2 3 4 Total

Jalen Hurts (258 PASS YDS, 1 TD, 2 INT)
Tom Brady (271 PASS YDS, 2 TD, 0 INT)

:rolleyes:

team-logo-54-50x50.png PHI 0 0 0 15 15
team-logo-60-50x50.png TB 14 3 14 0 31

5 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

So Jalen Hurts can be good because Josh Allen was once bad.  That same argument applies to me as a franchise QB.  Josh Allen could hang his hat on being 6'5" and having a rare arm.

It's funny because a lot of people said Allen was going to be a major bust because of his accuracy issues in college and that is rarely, if ever fixable at the next level..... 

Allen manages to fix it, so it's no longer rare and anyone can do it now? 

"No, you have your quarterback,” McNabb said. "You just have to continue to stay patient with him and allow him to get comfortable knowing what the situation is. I guarantee next year, it’ll be a whole different ball club because of what they’ve done this year, the way they’ve played and now I think everyone understands what they have to work on going forward.”

"For me, when I look at the whole season, I’m impressed by the way he played,” McNabb said. "I’m impressed by the way he handled adversity. I’m excited about how he has full control of this team and being a leader of this team. It think from a fan’s standpoint, yes, be upset that we lost in the first round because we had an opportunity. But I’m excited for what the future holds for this organization.”

9 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Daily Affirmations with Jalen Hurts...

im-good-enough-im-smart-enough.gif

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Daily Affirmations with Jalen Hurts...

im-good-enough-im-smart-enough.gif

This is a pretty good preview of the hype workout videos we'll get in a couple weeks.

9 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

It's funny because a lot of people said Allen was going to be a major bust because of his accuracy issues in college and that is rarely, if ever fixable at the next level..... 

Allen manages to fix it, so it's no longer rare and anyone can do it now? 

Why do people insist on making the comparison between Josh Allen and Jalen Hurts?  They were not the same level prospect coming into the NFL.  One was the #7 overall pick for a reason... 

Here's a quick excerpt from Daniel Jeremiah during Josh Allen's senior season at Wyoming.

Biggest takeaway: College football is loaded with talented signal-callers, but Allen has the highest ceiling of the entire group. I struggle to come up with a good player comparison for him. He's way ahead of Chiefs first-round pick Patrick Mahomes from a development standpoint and I think he has a much higher upside.

https://www.nfl.com/news/first-look-scouting-wyoming-qb-josh-allen-0ap3000000814722

Meanwhile... nfl.com said this about Jalen Hurts pre-draft. 

2045107252_ScreenShot2022-02-04at8_58_56PM.thumb.png.93c1f180156000d0782c00affb41a107.png

2045874143_ScreenShot2022-02-04at8_59_51PM.thumb.png.b1b4bf669f4906101f5b30ae5fa62ea8.png

They aren't close to the same level prospect.   They weren't when they entered the league, and they aren't now.  The physical tools don't line up at all.  The fact that Josh Allen reached the ceiling that many had for him is a testament to him and the coaching he received.  But, it's not a case study for Jalen Hurts.   There's a reason that he was on the board in Round 2.  There's a reason he was talked about as a solid backup, but never even approached saying anything about having the highest ceiling of any QB in his draft class.

1 minute ago, Iggles_Phan said:

Why do people insist on making the comparison between Josh Allen and Jalen Hurts?  They were not the same level prospect coming into the NFL.  One was the #7 overall pick for a reason... 

Here's a quick excerpt from Daniel Jeremiah during Josh Allen's senior season at Wyoming.

https://www.nfl.com/news/first-look-scouting-wyoming-qb-josh-allen-0ap3000000814722

2045107252_ScreenShot2022-02-04at8_58_56PM.thumb.png.93c1f180156000d0782c00affb41a107.png

2045874143_ScreenShot2022-02-04at8_59_51PM.thumb.png.b1b4bf669f4906101f5b30ae5fa62ea8.png

They aren't close to the same level prospect.   They weren't when they entered the league, and they aren't now.  The physical tools don't line up at all.  The fact that Josh Allen reached the ceiling that many had for him is a testament to him and the coaching he received.  But, it's not a case study for Jalen Hurts.   There's a reason that he was on the board in Round 2.  There's a reason he was talked about as a solid backup, but never even approached saying anything about having the highest ceiling of any QB in his draft class.

I want to say I have no idea why they are comparing the 2.... However, we know why, because these people think since one had accuracy issues and turned into an elite QB so should Hurts. 

They are looking for miracles at this point to justify him being the guy going forward. 

1 hour ago, eagle45 said:

EMB funny Stuart good enough.jpg

EDIT:  Damn it.  I_P beat me to it. 

7 hours ago, AngryBird said:

The Eagles won 5 more games with Hurts in 2021 than the year before.

You want to get worse?

3 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I want to say I have no idea why they are comparing the 2.... However, we know why, because these people think since one had accuracy issues and turned into an elite QB so should Hurts. 

They are looking for miracles at this point to justify him being the guy going forward. 

The Eagles won 9 games with Jalen Hurts.

Preserve that.

Don't wreck the good thing.

The Pro Hurts argument is extremely simple and common sense.

Add good new defense pieces.  Maybe add Willis to the same system behind Hurts.

But 9-8 and the playoffs is GOOD.  We Want That.  We don't want to replace the Hurts thing that is working and getting wins.  We don't want some other system without the effective running QB who gets wins.  Don't want an expensive veteran QB.  Don't want a rookie QB who doesn't fit the system they build in 2021. 

5 more wins than last year is GOOD. 

4 hours ago, eagle45 said:

So Jalen Hurts can be good because Josh Allen was once bad.

Cut it out, I didn't say that.

4 hours ago, Iggles_Phan said:

And here's what DJ said about Hurts:

https://www.nfl.com/videos/jeremiah-why-i-moved-jalen-hurts-onto-my-top-50-list

https://soonerswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/27/nfl-networks-daniel-jeremiah-does-not-think-jalen-hurts-will-get-out-of-second-round/

And here's what Lance Zierlein said about Josh Allen:

"Likely be the biggest boom-or-bust quarterback prospect in the draft. Allen's size and arm talent are prototypical for early first-round picks, but it's rare to find a quarterback with such a low college completion rate become a successful pro. Allen can make some truly special throws, but his ability to improve the mental part of his game will determine whether he's a good NFL starter or just another big, strong-armed guy. "

I posted this in the other thread.  Here is the list of professional QBs Hurts has defeated, head to head, in his entire 2 year career:

Matt Ryan 

Sam Darnold 

Goff 

Bridgewatter 

Trevor Siemien 

Garett Gilbert 

Mike Glennon 

Taylor Heinecke 

Taysom Hill

Here's another cool comparison:

Josh Allen as a rookie, with no where near the offensive line or even offensive talent that we had this season, had a higher QBR than Hurts has at any point in his career.

So even rookie Allen, who was "terrible his first season", who was a major boom or bust project showed more upside as a rookie than Hurts ever has.

Hurts is bad. Wake up.

6 hours ago, eagle45 said:

I posted this in the other thread.  Here is the list of professional QBs Hurts has defeated, head to head, in his entire 2 year career:

Matt Ryan 

Sam Darnold 

Goff 

Bridgewatter 

Trevor Siemien 

Garett Gilbert 

Mike Glennon 

Taylor Heinecke 

Taysom Hill

That's a mighty fine list of QB/defensive-stud-two-way-players he had to "battle" when he was on the field. Honestly, if you want to knock our defense for our victories based on QBs faced, there may be some relevance, but it's a stretch to try to use that list to belittle our QB in some way. Bridgewater, for example, may not have ever become the QB he was projected to become, but his defense was pretty stellar, especially vs the pass. They were at home and Hurts passed well in that game against a quality defense. Bridgewater had nothing to do with how Hurts played. The only thing Denver's offense had to do with the game flow was how we called plays in the second half. Denver's game plan was to keep Hurts from being a factor with his legs. Other than 1 long run from him, that defense accomplished that goal. Hurts' INT came late in the 3rd quarter after Gainwell whiffed on a block and Hurts' hand was hit by the free pass rusher on a deep throw. 

The final outcome of every game is based on one entire team playing the other entire team. But if you need to cherry pick the win / loss from a game and the quality of the opposing QB we faced and somehow form an argument to draw a conclusion about our QB, that's just ignorant. 

19 hours ago, Random Reglar said:

The Eagles won 5 more games with Hurts in 2021 than the year before.

You want to get worse?

I want Super Bowls, not participation trophies like you do. You can’t win with an inaccurate, run first QB. Lamar Jackson sells a lot of jerseys but he’s a terrible quarterback. They get destroyed in the playoffs and the same is going to happen to us, we already saw it against Tampa. 

And before you go tooting the horn of winning all these games, look at the state of the opposition we beat. I rest my case.

Archived