Doug Pederson stepping down?

Bwestbrook36

Courtesy of Eagles message board:

MrkingofspadesToday at 5:11 PM

crap.

[5:12 PM]
If Howie isn’t fired I’m done with this team until he’s gone.

I’m ambivalent on Doug coming back next year. I can see some rationale for it being his performance before this year but his failure to right the ship and the offensive design and play calling repeatedly looking lifeless has started to move me in the other direction. I’ll be okay either way they decide to go.

What will really piss me off is Howie coming back. That has been the biggest issue for the last three years now in the teams slow decline into irrelevancy and he has got to be held accountable for his repeated failures

• Like 3

3 hours ago, EagleMatt said:

Its probably for the best but seriously, what worries me most is Howie still being the GM after this season. I feel like Lurie just doesn't have it to make the move.

The Eagles could get 5th or 6th pick in the draft and I still feel like Howie will blow it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

GET RID OF HOWIE YOU F'ING STUPID OWNER!! WE'VE HAD ENOUGH OF HOWIE!! Pederson deserves another year with an OC and new GM. It feels like only Howie won't be here is if he can't physically do it.

• Like 2

I can envision a scenario where Doug Pederson can find success with a legitimate GM that has a scouting background and a legitimate separate OC, but I can't foresee a scenario where Howie all of a sudden starts using our draft picks more wisely because of our poor record.

Let go of Howie and let the new GM decide on Doug. 

• Like 4

So much slop out there now. Even the "legitimate” reporters and news organizations are doing little more than spinning rumors, unnamed sources, "its believed,” just garbage. 

Sounds plausible.

my pick for next HC is harbough who is rumored to want to be back in the nfl, probably because covid is going to kill college athletics soon. 

4th and jawn is an Eagles podcast isn't it?

Anyway, I mean I can believe this yeah. I think he may feel he's had enough or he's taken this team as far as he can. 

The unfortunate fact is that even if Lurie gets rid of Howie first, Doug is likely gone too, new GM's tend to get their own guy, that's the nature of the beast.

The rumors that Duce might get the HC job are depressing, promoting from within is what dynastically successful teams do, promoting internally from a team that's gone 3-12-1 would be a crazy decision.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

The rumors that Duce might get the HC job are depressing, promoting from within is what dynastically successful teams do, promoting internally from a team that's gone 3-12-1 would be a crazy decision.

Agreed. And it doesn't quite fit with a new GM wanting to pick their own HC really does it. So that just makes me think it'll still be Howie. My god I shudder at that thought.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Talkingbirds said:

4 more weeks till hammer falls.  Looking forward to off season moves.

I wouldn't get to excited. Depending on how the season ends they all could be back 

46 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

Howie first, or nothing of significance really changes.

Really wish I knew what Lurie was thinking.  I have a gut feeling he won't hold Howie accountable for this mess, so kinda hard to get excited about the offseason.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Really wish I knew what Lurie was thinking.  I have a gut feeling he won't hold Howie accountable for this mess, so kinda hard to get excited about the offseason.  

I’ve said for months, I fully expect him to use the injury and Covid excuse. 

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Agreed.  I just wonder if Doug will also be safe.  Not sure how I feel about that, but then again, not sure how I feel about Howie being involved in the search for the next HC.  Or making a top 5 pick in April's draft.  Hard to get excited about the immediate future.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Miami said:

Brian Daboll of the Bills might be a good choice.  Their offense is pretty dynamic.

IF we were to can Doug (or he steps down, which I just don't see happening), I do feel that we will once again look at offensive-minded coaches as the next HC.  But honestly, I don't think it really matters either way - I think you need a good leader of men, regardless of what side of the ball they coach currently, and then that person hires competent coordinators to run those units.  I wouldn't mind Saleh (SF DC) as next HC and let him hire someone who is creative, innovative, able to adjust his scheme, play to his players strengths, etc. to run the offense.  

15 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Agreed.  I just wonder if Doug will also be safe.  Not sure how I feel about that, but then again, not sure how I feel about Howie being involved in the search for the next HC.  Or making a top 5 pick in April's draft.  Hard to get excited about the immediate future.  

Yeah with both Wentz and Doug, I would be fine with a new GM doing his own evaluation of them, but not Howie. I can’t wait til he’s finally gone, whenever that may be. 

16 hours ago, Utebird said:

I'd leave too.

He doesn't hire his own coaches, didn't hire his own DC doesn't have much personnel control, reports came out that Howie has say in game day actives and who plays, he's been asked to relinquish play calling from a game plan put together by 15 other offensive assistants he didn't hire.

I'd fire Howie before Pederson and let pederson hire his own staff and fi d a GM he can work with and go from there.

Bringing in a new coach under the same structure with howie running everything isn't going to fix anything, will just be more of the same 

Not sure Lurie will ever get rid of Howie though.

Good luck where ever you end up Doug appreciate the super bowl!

So if you hire a GM and don't let him pick his HC and QB, then aren't you doing the same thing that they did with Pederson?  You are stuck with wentz, so any GM would have to realize that, but thats gonna limit the interested parties.  And if you force them to keep pederson, then you'll limit it more.  

1 hour ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Sad but true. Maybe blame Schwartz because he most likely won't be back.

58 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I'm pretty sure how I'd feel about Howie being involved in a new coach search or the draft  🤮

• Like 1