Doug Pederson stepping down?

Bwestbrook36

7 hours ago, Utebird said:

I don't think most GMs are deterred by not being able to hire their own coaches.

Seems lurie has the final say in that.

As for Wentz and the rest of Howie's horrible contracts, yes that may be a deterrent to another GM as one may not want to take on that mess.

Well played by Howie to get rid of Maxwell’s bad contract. He’s the one who made that contract after all. I guess he can manipulate Lurie into thinking only he can fix his mess. It would be a mistake. Howie Roseman needs to go once and for all. 

10 minutes ago, time2rock said:

You are correct, ERock was a member of the old EMB and posted vids practically weekly.  It always felt more like a "sales push”.  

Yep his youtube videos were funny as sheet for awhile though.  Especially the ones with Coppizle (Giants fan).

32 minutes ago, time2rock said:

You are correct, ERock was a member of the old EMB and posted vids practically weekly.  It always felt more like a "sales push”.  

I saw him on a TV show a while back, where a Scottish man was visiting all of the teams in the NFL trying to pick one to be a fan of. When he visited Philly (the day of the MNF game vs. the Redskins in 2017, the one where Carson escaped a sack 'magically'), ERock met him on a dinner cruise boat and taught him the fight song. Akers took him out on the practice field to kick field goals and Dawk took him to the Linc to do an intro entrance onto the field. Silly stuff...

48 minutes ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I saw him on a TV show a while back, where a Scottish man was visiting all of the teams in the NFL trying to pick one to be a fan of. When he visited Philly (the day of the MNF game vs. the Redskins in 2017, the one where Carson escaped a sack 'magically'), ERock met him on a dinner cruise boat and taught him the fight song. Akers took him out on the practice field to kick field goals and Dawk took him to the Linc to do an intro entrance onto the field. Silly stuff...

I was at that MNF game in 2017.  Seeing it in person I was like "how the F did he escape that?!!’”  But that was also the game we lost Hicks and Peters to season-ending injuries, so even though we won, I left the game feeling a bit down.  Who would have thunk we’d win it all that year.  

9 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

All great points. Seeing lurie up in the box all these years you can tell when he is getting frustrated with what he is seeing. I think when he sees decline in a team he gives that coach or gm a chance to right the ship and if it falls fault once again, that is when he makes his moves. 

Probably a fan pipedream to see an entire cleaning house after this season, but I can definitely see Lurie forcing the team to being in a separate GM for the draft and OC for playcalling, while letting Howie manage the contractual side of things and Doug manage the overall head coaching aspect.

To be fair, both Howie and Doug excelled during the Super Bowl year when they were in their niche roles: Howie as the acquisition guy while Joe Douglas put in his two cents on who is worth acquiring,  with Doug as the player's coach unifying the team with Frank Reich calling the plays.

Even if it's just promoting Andy Weidl and Duce Staley from within, I'd rather take part in that experiment than try to repeat the same management/coaching structure we have right now.

• Like 1

I'm not scrolling through the other pages, but there's no way he's stepping down.  If he steps down, he doesn't get paid.  If he gets fired, he gets everything.  

On 12/7/2020 at 1:20 PM, Utebird said:

I'd leave too.

He doesn't hire his own coaches, didn't hire his own DC doesn't have much personnel control, reports came out that Howie has say in game day actives and who plays, he's been asked to relinquish play calling from a game plan put together by 15 other offensive assistants he didn't hire.

I'd fire Howie before Pederson and let pederson hire his own staff and fi d a GM he can work with and go from there.

Bringing in a new coach under the same structure with howie running everything isn't going to fix anything, will just be more of the same 

Not sure Lurie will ever get rid of Howie though.

Good luck where ever you end up Doug appreciate the super bowl!

this. A new coach having to deal with Howie will equate to the same results

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnB said:

this. A new coach having to deal with Howie will equate to the same results

The new coach will be handed the same dross to coach and play with. 

On 12/7/2020 at 7:33 PM, opa-opa said:

If Howie doesn't go, I'm pretty much done with this team.

Same. If Howie Roseman remains GM, I’m ending a very long run as an Eagles fan. I don’t have time left for incompetent nonsense and the promise of a dumpster fire each successive season. I’ll just watch the Super Bowl DVD and reminisce about the good times. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Madriver said:

Yeah. And could we be over-estimating Lurie's intelligence? If Howie is still here next year then it's strictly about dollars and cents and neither Lurie nor Howie know, want to learn about or give a flying rat's ass about football. Welcome Tose 2.0.

Lurie wants a winning team.  He's fired coaches when they fall under 5 wins.  Last year they won the division and he (reportedly) insisted Doug fire his OC and WR coach and get new offensive coaches.  

He's not Tose 2.0.  He's brought consistent winning, invested money into coaches and players with expensive contracts, built a new stadium and invests in the team.  He's the best owner they've ever had.  He's starting to insert himself into football decisions and he needs to go back to staying out of that.  But otherwise Lurie is a good owner.

He just needs to fire Howie and get a real GM.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NOTW said:

Lurie wants a winning team.  He's fired coaches when they fall under 5 wins. Last year they won the division and he (reportedly) insisted Doug fire his OC and WR coach and get new offensive coaches.  

He's not Tose 2.0.  He's brought consistent winning, invested money into coaches and players with expensive contracts, built a new stadium and invests in the team.  He's the best owner they've ever had.  He's starting to insert himself into football decisions and he needs to go back to staying out of that.  But otherwise Lurie is a good owner.

He just needs to fire Howie and get a real GM.

The bolded part is certainly true, but I think it had more to do with coaches failing to make the post season two straight years while on a clear downward trajectory. I think Lurie would likely look beyond an isolated sub 5 win season if the years preceding it were all strong competitive teams. The closest example would be Reid in 2005. Only 5 wins, but in the Super Bowl the year prior plus the other NFCCG seasons. 

1 hour ago, EagleJoe8 said:

The bolded part is certainly true, but I think it had more to do with coaches failing to make the post season two straight years while on a clear downward trajectory. I think Lurie would likely look beyond an isolated sub 5 win season if the years preceding it were all strong competitive teams. The closest example would be Reid in 2005. Only 5 wins, but in the Super Bowl the year prior plus the other NFCCG seasons. 

Reid definitely bought himself favor with post-season success.   The team also showed a lot of dysfunction and it was time to move on.

With Chip, he was fired after having two back to back 10-6 seasons and then his first losing season at only 7-9.  So it's not just wins that save a coach.  He saw the problems and made a quick change.

Kotite was fired after 8-8 then 7-9 both years no playoffs.  Rhodes had 2 losing seasons and ultimately the worst in a long time at 3-13.  Reid went 4-12.  Chip was 7-9.  So really it's not even having a low number of wins, he'll fire if he doesn't see results into the post-season.  

• Like 1

Just now, NOTW said:

With Chip, he was fired after going 10-6 so it's not just wins that save a coach.  He saw the problems and made a quick change.

He finished 7-9 in his last year i thought?

4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

you're right, I was thinking how he had two 10-6 seasons and that wasn't enough to save him despite only going 7-9.  I fixed my post.

2 minutes ago, NOTW said:

you're right, I was thinking how he had two 10-6 seasons and that wasn't enough to save him despite only going 7-9.  I fixed my post.

No worries. I was doubting myself as I posted it. 

17 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Chip finished 6-9 actually. Shurmer was the interim for the final game. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Chip finished 6-9 actually. Shurmer was the interim for the final game. 

Sure if you want to be technical.

While we're at it, you're a jerk Mr. Perfect, going around correcting people!

:P

• Haha 1