Doug Pederson stepping down?

Bwestbrook36

16 hours ago, PhillyTiger said:

not a reputable blog

But people still see it as "the media".  So when people say "I blame the media" this is what they mean. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vman1968 said:

So if you hire a GM and don't let him pick his HC and QB, then aren't you doing the same thing that they did with Pederson?  You are stuck with wentz, so any GM would have to realize that, but thats gonna limit the interested parties.  And if you force them to keep pederson, then you'll limit it more.  

I don't think most GMs are deterred by not being able to hire their own coaches.

Seems lurie has the final say in that.

As for Wentz and the rest of Howie's horrible contracts, yes that may be a deterrent to another GM as one may not want to take on that mess.

4 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I wouldn't get to excited. Depending on how the season ends they all could be back 

Well last year they clawed back to win the division and they fired the OC and WR coach, brought in 14 new offensive coaches for "outside voices" and hired new Directors over Medical and Conditioning.  None of these moves have worked of course.

Lurie has fired Head Coaches when they have a losing season less than 6 wins, and even Chip after going 10-6 but losing the team.  Lurie isn't afraid to make changes.  He moved on from his longtime friend Joe Banner, and demoted Howie and gave Chip the power at one point.  

So it will be interesting.  Lurie is more aware than we sometimes think.  He will want change.  If the SB bought Howie and Doug a longer leash and he will give them another chance, then I could see Lurie insisting on getting another personnel evaluator (like they tried with Joe Douglas) and making Doug hire a traditional OC who calls the plays.  Schwartz's contract is up and he won't be re-signed so they will be hiring a new DC.  

Hopefully, Lurie just cleans house but that's more a fan dream I think.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Well last year they clawed back to win the division and they fired the OC and WR coach, brought in 14 new offensive coaches for "outside voices" and hired new Directors over Medical and Conditioning.  None of these moves have worked of course.

Lurie has fired Head Coaches when they have a losing season less than 6 wins, and even Chip after going 10-6 but losing the team.  Lurie isn't afraid to make changes.  He moved on from his longtime friend Joe Banner, and demoted Howie and gave Chip the power at one point.  

So it will be interesting.  Lurie is more aware than we sometimes think.  He will want change.  If the SB bought Howie and Doug a longer leash and he will give them another chance, then I could see Lurie insisting on getting another personnel evaluator (like they tried with Joe Douglas) and making Doug hire a traditional OC who calls the plays.  Schwartz's contract is up and he won't be re-signed so they will be hiring a new DC.  

Hopefully, Lurie just cleans house but that's more a fan dream I think.

All great points. Seeing lurie up in the box all these years you can tell when he is getting frustrated with what he is seeing. I think when he sees decline in a team he gives that coach or gm a chance to right the ship and if it falls fault once again, that is when he makes his moves. 

Just now, Bwestbrook36 said:

All great points. Seeing lurie up in the box all these years you can tell when he is getting frustrated with what he is seeing. I think when he sees decline in a team he gives that coach or gm a chance to right the ship and if it falls fault once again, that is when he makes his moves. 

I go back to Lurie wanting to buy the Patriots and watching what they've done.  He is the one who said the phrase "The Gold Standard."  It's understandable that finally winning a SB he was going to believe that same group could keep it going.  They had an MVP candidate in Wentz returning from injury with the expectation that they would try to repeat. Howie admitted last offseason he was trying to hold onto the guys from that team.  Jeffrey, Peters, etc.  He kept making trades for proven players to try and keep it going.  Last offseason he realized they need youth.

Lurie is now looking at investments made to Wentz and he's having his worst season as a $100 million QB, and guys he's paying to be on IR.  He may be watching TV analysts and announcers destroying Howie's drafting record, looking at the cap hell in 2021, and all of that and realizing the need to make a change.  I hope so.

• Thanks 1

They played that interview with Doug on nfl network last night before the Washington and Steelers game and it was what he wasn’t wearing and also how he was talking that struck me as odd.  But if Doug goes then Howie needs to be six feet behind him out the door at the novacare complex. I probably wasn’t alone in thinking he got a raw deal during the chip Kelly mess, so he got sympathy and then praise for the super bowl, won but surely that is wearing thin. Brian baldinger said on a UK podcast that there are no productive players under 25 on the eagles roster. That’s on howie and he needs to be held account for that.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I go back to Lurie wanting to buy the Patriots and watching what they've done.  He is the one who said the phrase "The Gold Standard."  It's understandable that finally winning a SB he was going to believe that same group could keep it going.  They had an MVP candidate in Wentz returning from injury with the expectation that they would try to repeat. Howie admitted last offseason he was trying to hold onto the guys from that team.  Jeffrey, Peters, etc.  He kept making trades for proven players to try and keep it going.  Last offseason he realized they need youth.

Lurie is now looking at investments made to Wentz and he's having his worst season as a $100 million QB, and guys he's paying to be on IR.  He may be watching TV analysts and announcers destroying Howie's drafting record, looking at the cap hell in 2021, and all of that and realizing the need to make a change.  I hope so.

I trust lurie, he isn't one to make knee jerk reactions. Which is good we don't need too be on of those franchises firing coaches and gms every single year and for the most part he hasn't. Sometimes I think he takes a little to long in some cases but, at the end of the day he will make the decision for the best of the franchise

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EaglesIreland said:

Brian baldinger said on a UK podcast that there are no productive players under 25 on the eagles roster.

That isn't entirely true but, point still stands. 

1 minute ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I trust lurie, he isn't one to make knee jerk reactions. Which is good we don't need too be on of those franchises firing coaches and gms every single year and for the most part he hasn't. Sometimes I think he takes a little to long in some cases but, at the end of the day he will make the decision for the best of the franchise

If the reports are true (you never know with this team), Lurie did step in to force Doug to fire his OC and WR coach last year and insist on coaching changes.

This is why he needs to just clean house and get a GM to run the entire football side of things and go back to staying out of it.  Let the GM pick the coaches, players, philosophy, scheme and evaluate everything.

1 minute ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

That isn't entirely true but, point still stands. 

Well I wasn’t trying to put false info up but it can’t be great if there’s some truth to that statement. 

If Howie were to stay in any capacity the new personnel chief would have to report directly to Lurie. 

And I still wouldn't trust Howie.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DBW said:

Sounds plausible.

my pick for next HC is harbough who is rumored to want to be back in the nfl, probably because covid is going to kill college athletics soon. 

I thought about this weeks ago but the more I think about it maybe it isn't such a good idea.  He did some great things in the NFL but that was many years ago.  Things change and you have to be able to adapt.  Maybe his system, ideas, scheme worked years ago but might not today.  I can understand not beating Ohio St but his team still hasn't been good.

I get the impression Doug didn't want to play Hurts at all, even going back to the draft he didn't seem excited and was just saying the company line about using him.  Seems like Lurie and/or Howie are continuing to tell Doug who to play despite Doug swearing he's the one calling the shots.  We don't really know of course, just how it seems.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NOTW said:

Do other teams always have all these crazy rumors and "unnamed sources" all the time?  Seems like someone is always creating drama (real or fake) around this team.

We are one of those teams you used to read about that always has problems, we are that team now 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, time2rock said:

Really wish I knew what Lurie was thinking.  I have a gut feeling he won't hold Howie accountable for this mess, so kinda hard to get excited about the offseason.  

He is gunna send howie back into the corner again.  

1 hour ago, 315Eagles said:

I thought about this weeks ago but the more I think about it maybe it isn't such a good idea.  He did some great things in the NFL but that was many years ago.  Things change and you have to be able to adapt.  Maybe his system, ideas, scheme worked years ago but might not today.  I can understand not beating Ohio St but his team still hasn't been good.

He had kaepernick running the same exact stuff that a lot of teams are running now with mobile QBs. He was around for the way league has been trending into what it is now. 

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

I get the impression Doug didn't want to play Hurts at all, even going back to the draft he didn't seem excited and was just saying the company line about using him.  Seems like Lurie and/or Howie are continuing to tell Doug who to play despite Doug swearing he's the one calling the shots.  We don't really know of course, just how it seems.

Whatever the case may be, it sure seems Howie and Doug are not on the same page ... at all.  That is a huge problem when there is such a disconnect between the GM and HC.  

• Like 2

On 12/7/2020 at 4:08 PM, Bwestbrook36 said:

I have never seen this site, so take from it what you will. Nothing surprises me at this point though

I've seen them on NBC Sports Philly from time to time, that's ERock's blog/podcast, if I'm not mistaken... and I won't swear to this, but I think he was a member of the old EMB years ago... or maybe I'm just remembering him call into Eagles Live. 

I don't listen to rumors from dime store web sites. I will say Doug deserves better and has decided he isn't going to be the puppet Lurie and Howie command him to be. I think he is done with that, and I think it is evident in how he now speaks to the press- a lot more bold. He has had enough of Howie, 100% and may even punch that little weasel out if he oversteps Dougs personal space. His relationship with Lurie- I am not sure how that one is., but I bet he let him know he is tired of all the FO meddling and how that ruined this team.

6 hours ago, EaglesIreland said:

They played that interview with Doug on nfl network last night before the Washington and Steelers game and it was what he wasn’t wearing and also how he was talking that struck me as odd.  But if Doug goes then Howie needs to be six feet behind him out the door at the novacare complex. I probably wasn’t alone in thinking he got a raw deal during the chip Kelly mess, so he got sympathy and then praise for the super bowl, won but surely that is wearing thin. Brian baldinger said on a UK podcast that there are no productive players under 25 on the eagles roster. That’s on howie and he needs to be held account for that.

The last pro bowl level defensive player the Eagles drafted was Fletcher Cox and that’s when Andy Reid was here. Wentz was the last offensive level player and he’s fallen off a cliff. The last pro bowl level wide receiver was Jackson. The void of young talent is vast and mostly on Howie. 

23 hours ago, Br3 said:

Losing Doug and keeping Howie is just fing depressing. The only way to feel ok about losing Doug is if Howie is gone too 

Yeah. And could we be over-estimating Lurie's intelligence? If Howie is still here next year then it's strictly about dollars and cents and neither Lurie nor Howie know, want to learn about or give a flying rat's ass about football. Welcome Tose 2.0.

1 hour ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

I've seen them on NBC Sports Philly from time to time, that's ERock's blog/podcast, if I'm not mistaken... and I won't swear to this, but I think he was a member of the old EMB years ago... or maybe I'm just remembering him call into Eagles Live. 

I think you are correct.

1 hour ago, Talonblood said:

He has had enough of Howie, 100% and may even punch that little weasel out if he oversteps Dougs personal space.

I'd buy a ticket to see that! :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

You are correct, ERock was a member of the old EMB and posted vids practically weekly.  It always felt more like a "sales push”.