86 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want Jalen Hurts to accomplish

• Light it up and win the division
    • Look good, win a couple games and impact draft selection
    • Look like a QB would look in this situation, top 5 pick here we come

38 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

That's my Quarterback

You got the pronunciation wrong...

"Das my coreback," followed by manic weeping...

3 hours ago, wrestlevessel said:

I want him to fail and get Howie fired.

Regardless Howie should be fired.

2 hours ago, hputenis said:

That's a good question that I don't really know the answer to because of so many outliers.  I think back to Wentz's first 3 games ever.  He looked like he was on a trajectory to become the greatest QB of all time because it's such a small sample size.  He was running no huddle, empty backfield sets on MNF against the Bears in his 2nd game with ease.  I'll admit I'm not sold on Hurts at all.  I think his ceiling is extremely low, but I'm happy to eat crow if I'm wrong.  

I'd say his contract will definitely dictate a few decisions next year as well.  Plus if they fire Doug, then I would think they'd want to give Wentz another chance with someone that might be able to fix him.  Wentz's regression in general has been horrendous.  It's probably the biggest head scratcher to me that I've ever seen in sports.  But we've seen him do it before when he has a good OL and a good coach.  That coach isn't here anymore.  

I think Wentz contract is what it is. He play is one thing but his leadership is clearly not great. you can tell on the sideline how players distance themselves from him. 

If Hurts plays well enough there is a possibility that he wins the job next year. Even with that contract (which Howie should get fired for, among other things), the coach of the team next year will want to win games first.

I am not big fan of hurts but if he wins then I’m good with that. But he deserves a fair shot.

I would hope and suggest that Jalen Hurts plays well starting against the Saints. He's come from two great programs Alabama and Oklahoma, who  have great teams and has acquited himself very well there. I know it's college...  Hurts deserves a chance to show if he can really spark the team again and in the next few games.... Sure the Eagles Offense  is a mess. and is lacking quality players. But for 3-4  series in Q3 and Q4 against the Packers he gave some hope and belief to every Eagles fan watching. I had belief that the Eagles might be able to tie or even win that game until Fulgham  dropped that catchable pass in the red zone.  Fulgham suposedly never drops a catch - at least in practice and his first games...For the last 12 games, I've watched every Eagles game. I've also watched every game since the SB, and before then... since I became a fan. Wentz's future and Hurts will be decided after the season and perhaps next year... .Wentz struggles have been well documented this season with the stats been readily available, and he has been given every chance to play his way out of his funk the past 12 games... But his record is plain to see. Almost last or thereabouts in most QB stats. It's been a nightmare for Wentz and every Eagles fan... So my hope is the Eagles play better, execute well and with 2 minutes to go in the game - are in a position to compete - against the Saints and further.

win the Super Bowl.

Ok, far fetched, I know.

One thing I can say about him, he seems more the profile of QB we're used to seeing around here. At least if you've been a fan for the last 30 years

Not sure I want any of those outcomes. And I'm not sure we are limited to those options. I think Hurts can come in, make this team look competitive, play well and we still lose these games. At least then he shows that he could be a potential starter for this team and gives us hope that if Wentz doesn't turn it around he could be the potential answer. 

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Not sure I want any of those outcomes. And I'm not sure we are limited to those options. I think Hurts can come in, make this team look competitive, play well and we still lose these games. At least then he shows that he could be a potential starter for this team and gives us hope that if Wentz doesn't turn it around he could be the potential answer. 

The most desirable outcome really would for Hurts to light it up, put up 30+ ppg with a high passer rating, but they still manage to lose in shootouts. The benefit there is Hurts proves he’s a potential answer at QB going forward, they still get their high draft pick, and maybe the defense collapsing in those games is enough to get changes made (Howie gone, Schwartz gone). Let the new GM decide on Doug’s future. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nipples said:

The most desirable outcome really would for Hurts to light it up, put up 30+ ppg with a high passer rating, but they still manage to lose in shootouts. The benefit there is Hurts proves he’s a potential answer at QB going forward, they still get their high draft pick, and maybe the defense collapsing in those games is enough to get changes made (Howie gone, Schwartz gone). Let the new GM decide on Doug’s future. 

I certainly think that would be a very desirable outcome for this team. It would give us hope for the future whilst still recognising that there is a lot of work to do and changes need to be made. 

Light it up and kick the Saints ass, suffer a minor injury at the end of the 4th that means Wentz finishes out the season and we still pick top ten would be the ideal, in all seriousness I've said before I can accept losing games, but we've been completely abject to watch this year, so I'd settle for the Eagles just being watchable and playing semi competent offense. 

This isn't really a winnable game based on the season so far, if Hurts can at least make a game of it I'll take that.

13 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Light it up and kick the Saints ass, suffer a minor injury at the end of the 4th that means Wentz finishes out the season and we still pick top ten would be the ideal, in all seriousness I've said before I can accept losing games, but we've been completely abject to watch this year, so I'd settle for the Eagles just being watchable and playing semi competent offense. 

This isn't really a winnable game based on the season so far, if Hurts can at least make a game of it I'll take that.

I think it’s possible to both lose and have Hurts play great. Never underestimate Schwartz defense’s ability to collapse in crunch time. 

My only concern with the idea of Hurts putting up 30+ points but us still losing, is it fools Lurie into believing that Howie has actually done a good job building the offense, and maybe the only change needed is to replace Schwartz since his contract has expired. This all would be based on a small sample size even though the larger sample size of Howie’s drafting tells us he sucks at it. 

I really don’t want to outright pull for Hurts to fail, but I fear any outcome that fools Lurie into believing Howie deserves a few more chances. 

22 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

This all would be based on a small sample size even though the larger sample size of Howie’s drafting tells us he sucks at it. 

I guess if Lurie is fooled by a handful of games in an ultimately very poor year then we have more to worry about because our owner is a huge problem. 

24 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I guess if Lurie is fooled by a handful of games in an ultimately very poor year then we have more to worry about because our owner is a huge problem. 

He certainly can be. By and large, I think he’s been a good owner throughout his time here. Not perfect, but good. If he’s going to turn into Jerry Jones lite, then he will become a massive problem. 

Here's the Saints rankings on D :

Passing

QBR - 6th

YPG - 4th

YPA - 8th

INTs - T5th

Sacks - T3rd

TDs allowed - T17th

So 3 Top 5 rankings and 5 Top 10 rankings.

Rushing

YPG - 2nd

YPC - 2nd (only 3.3 YPC)

TDs allowed - 1st

Carries/game - 2nd - Seems teams don't try to run much vs them.

Safe to say the Saints have a Top 3 D and maybe the #1 D in the NFL.

So what do I want Hurts to accomplish?  How about he just looks competent vs this tough D and doesn't turn the ball over multiple times?  Honestly, I don't expect much from him this game, especially if Doug and the OC committee don't do a damn thing to tweak the O to help Hurts out a bit.  One thing about Hurts is his clock in the pocket is way shorter than Wentz's, so I can see him checking his first read and if it's not there and he feels any bit of pressure that he'll take off and run.  That's better than holding the ball too long and taking a sack and risking a fumble, but taking off slightly early with the ball could also result in a missed shot down the field now and then.  If he has a TO free game then that's a major accomplishment.  I'll give him a Mulligan for one TO, but don't want to see more than one, though won't be surprised if he has 2+. 

So what I want him to accomplish is no more than 1 TO, don't take unnecessary sacks/a decent pocket presence, some more downfield completions like the 2 vs GB and put close to 20 points on the board, which vs this D with our O personnel and scheme would be solid.  Realistically, I can see him with more than 10 rushing attempts due to tucking and running out of the pocket and a completion percentage right around 50%, though his YPA will be decent as he'll take some down the field shots.  It's a lot to ask of the kid with this O.  It would be nice to see him look like he belongs out there, even if his stats aren't good, than to look lost.  We shall see.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Big___Al said:

I don't get the top 5 draft pick love. Unless it's a Peyton Manning or something, you're not going to rebuild a whole team with one pick, which is what is needed here.

First, the higher the pick supposedly the better talent (if you evaluate properly and make a good pick.

Second, it's the higher pick in ALL ROUNDS.  I don't know why people talk only about the 1st round and ignore the fact that picking in the top 5 of every round means you get guys that fall out of the previous round, or it's easier to trade up or back depending and still get good talent.  So you're getting the benefit of 7 picks in the top 5 of their round.

We've seen how they do with mid to late round picks.  The times they've had higher picks, they've taken better players.

Even if Hurts plays great...Carson did in his first 2 years as well and in some stretches in the last 2 years.  

The team is dysfunctional and needs organizational change.  The GM can't draft, and no long excels at contracts and salary cap so he's basically bad at every aspect of his job.  The owner meddles in decisions and the head coach doesn't really have say.  The players aren't held accountable, the team clings to guys who were good 2-3 years ago, the injury situation has not improved despite hiring new staff over medical, the team is a mess.

Fire Howie and get a new GM to bring stability, talent evaluation and a long-term plan.

• Like 1

I want Hurts to light it up but for us to still lose out.  That way we can start him next year and still have a top 5 pick.

5 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

He certainly can be. By and large, I think he’s been a good owner throughout his time here. Not perfect, but good. If he’s going to turn into Jerry Jones lite, then he will become a massive problem. 

I just think he needs to recognise the very obvious problems that are in front of him. Namely Howie freaking Roseman.

3 hours ago, wyote said:

Play to win. Why is this even a question? 

So Downundermike can use option 3 to continue his campaign of 'the problems are everything but Wentz, who is a super hero being held back by coaching, scheme and the other 52 players on the roster'

On 12/8/2020 at 8:54 PM, Ace Nova said:

I always want the Eagles to win.  I couldn't care less about "draft order" and neither does any real fan.  How is it remotely fair (to want to tank for a draft pick) to the rest of the team that worked their tails off all year, risking their bodies (this year Covid as well), playing their hearts out to win? 

Anyone that wants this team to lose is NOT an Eagles fan, sorry.

Yeah I agree with this. Aside from anything else, if the Eagles win out, then Hurts will have shown that he could well be our franchise quarterback for the next 10-15 years.

And yet more than half of voters would rather we lose out, so we get a top 5 draft pick. Unbelievable.

3 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Yeah I agree with this. Aside from anything else, if the Eagles win out, then Hurts will have shown that he could well be our franchise quarterback for the next 10-15 years.

And yet more than half of voters would rather we lose out, so we get a top 5 draft pick. Unbelievable.

Yeah I don't get it.  There is little difference between picking 6th than picking 8th or 9th.

When you have a team of 60+ players, what does that say to the rest of the team that worked all year to get where they are at and are out there putting their bodies on the line to win every week? 

If I was a player and saw that a portion of the fanbase was rooting for the team to lose so they could get a few picks higher in the draft....well...there's a reason some players have it out with some of the fanbase in Philly.  Unfortunately it's the vocal minority that screams the loudest and it makes the rest of Philly fans look bad. 

Most fans want the Eagles to win.  

That said, even the minority that wants an extra few draft sports just shows how little they understand about the team.  This team would be better off trading their first pick anyway and getting an additional few picks back.  Fill in positions of need with 3 early round picks instead of 1. 

8 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

Yeah I don't get it.  There is little difference between picking 6th than picking 8th or 9th.

It amuses me that the blog was full of get a top 5 pick and get JaMarr Chase posts when Wentz was in the lineup, now that it is Hurts, draft position doesn't matter.

You guys kill me.