What do you want Jalen Hurts to accomplish *** Poll ***

What do you want Jalen Hurts to accomplish  

86 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want Jalen Hurts to accomplish

• Light it up and win the division
    • Look good, win a couple games and impact draft selection
    • Look like a QB would look in this situation, top 5 pick here we come

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

It amuses me that the blog was full of get a top 5 pick and get JaMarr Chase posts when Wentz was in the lineup, now that it is Hurts, draft position doesn't matter.

You guys kill me.

Not me.  I said they likely would not go WR with the 1st because they want to see how Reagor, Fulgham, Hightower and Watkins develop.  If 2 or 3 out of the 4 work out, it would be disastrous using that type of draft capital on another WR.  Especially when the pick could likely be traded for 2 1sts or another 1st and early 2nd and a additional mid round pick. 

4 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Yeah I agree with this. Aside from anything else, if the Eagles win out, then Hurts will have shown that he could well be our franchise quarterback for the next 10-15 years.

And yet more than half of voters would rather we lose out, so we get a top 5 draft pick. Unbelievable.

I don’t think I’d go this far. If we win out, it could be indicative that Hurts had a nice early start when teams had little film on him. I think it’d be very premature to try and extrapolate that out to 10-15 years. At best, I’d say it’d earn him the right to compete for the job next year. 

On 12/8/2020 at 2:16 PM, CaliEagle said:

We should hope that Hurts plays well because the more talent you have the better. If he doesn't play well, we will have trouble recouping a second round value for him if we ever decide to trade him. So, we would take a loss there.  If the Eagles behind closed doors decide that Wentz may not be their guy and if they feel that Hurts isn't their guy, then this draft could be very interesting.  Can you imagine if we had Wentz, Hurts and a top 10 QB on this roster next year? That would be a circus. It would be best for Hurts to play well because if they know now that they don't feel Hurts is a possible franchise QB, then they could try to move him before the draft.  It depends on how they see Hurts. Do they see him as a gadgety Taysom Hill guy that they drafted too high or do they feel he could eventually be a franchise QB?  And, if they solely drafted him to be a gadgety guy in the 2nd round, that is even more of a reason for Howie to get fired.

If the Eagles decide Wentz is not their guy going forward (i.e. 2021 and later), they will probably trade him.  I expect there will be suitors who believe they can turn Wentz around and don't mind his reasonable cap hit (for them).

On 12/9/2020 at 6:55 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I certainly think that would be a very desirable outcome for this team. It would give us hope for the future whilst still recognising that there is a lot of work to do and changes need to be made. 

It actually wouldn't be IMO because it would mean the Eagles have even more significant defensive needs than we think.

I definitely don't want the Eagles winning the NFC East at this point because 1) it is highly unlikely they'll make a playoff run, 2) it would hurt the Eagles' draft position in 2021 while providing limited long term benefits, and 3) it would mean the Eagles won the division with a losing record, which would be embarrassing IMO.

I want to see Hurts play solidly, and if the Eagles win, great, and if they lose, at least they know Hurts deserves a further look (and the Eagles also receive higher draft picks in each round in 2021).

Hurts is not going to win this game himself......the offensive line needs to step up,  New Orleans has one of the best defenses in the league, so they'll need a lot going right on offense. 

And a lot will depend on the kind of game Pedersen calls.......I always want Eagle's QBs to do well, but with young guys like Hurts, I want to see smart football, quick decision making and leadership....what I don't want to see is happy feet, thinking his arm can overcome any coverage and turnovers.

Pedersene or whoever is calling the plays,  has to open the play book, let Hurts use his skills, and get ALL the other skill players involved.

So:

1 Win the game.....I don't give a sh-- what it looks like, just win the game.

2 Protect the ball, but not by being overly conservative. 

3 Use his skills, hurts needs to trust his arm but not be arrogant about it....

4 Be unflappable.......learn from bad plays, but forget the result.  Learn from good plays but forget the result.  And don't get rattled..... 

1 hour ago, CHIP72 said:

It actually wouldn't be IMO because it would mean the Eagles have even more significant defensive needs than we think.

I definitely don't want the Eagles winning the NFC East at this point because 1) it is highly unlikely they'll make a playoff run, 2) it would hurt the Eagles' draft position in 2021 while providing limited long term benefits, and 3) it would mean the Eagles won the division with a losing record, which would be embarrassing IMO.

I want to see Hurts play solidly, and if the Eagles win, great, and if they lose, at least they know Hurts deserves a further look (and the Eagles also receive higher draft picks in each round in 2021).

I'm pretty sure that was my point... If Hurts plays lights out but we still lose then that's a pretty good situation for this team? We know this defense lacks serious talent so that wouldn't come as a surprise to us?

3 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I don’t think I’d go this far. If we win out, it could be indicative that Hurts had a nice early start when teams had little film on him. I think it’d be very premature to try and extrapolate that out to 10-15 years. At best, I’d say it’d earn him the right to compete for the job next year. 

Nah - if he wins out it’s his job.

Anyway - I can’t root against my own team. Draft picks are a consolation for losing, not something I’m hoping for.

We have to be realistic. He's going to show some nice throws here and there. He's going to run a lot with his legs. But in the end he's going to probably have roughly a 70 quarterback rating average. We saw it in the last game he can't find receivers open he's getting pressure because the oline can't hold. He's going to look like Carson except he's going to run more than Carson. Then they're going to realize it's Doug Pederson's the problem and not these quarterbacks. 

That's what I'm expecting. He might show a few flashes but in the end it's going to be the same

2 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

We have to be realistic. He's going to show some nice throws here and there. He's going to run a lot with his legs. But in the end he's going to probably have roughly a 70 quarterback rating average. We saw it in the last game he can't find receivers open he's getting pressure because the oline can't hold. He's going to look like Carson except he's going to run more than Carson. Then they're going to realize it's Doug Pederson's the problem and not these quarterbacks. 

That's what I'm expecting. He might show a few flashes but in the end it's going to be the same

There is a difference. Carson was doing it all season and against the likes of a historically bad Cowboys defense, a Seattle secondary most college quarterbacks could beat, and a decimated 49ers defense. Meanwhile the kid in his first start is going up against one of the best defenses in football that has a guy on their defense that knows the Eagles better than they know themselves. If you guys see this as the "same” then you’re crazy. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm pretty sure that was my point... If Hurts plays lights out but we still lose then that's a pretty good situation for this team? We know this defense lacks serious talent so that wouldn't come as a surprise to us?

It’s clear the narrative is if Hurts struggles it’s cause he stinks as a quarterback quarterback and Pederson stinks as a coach. If Hurts looks great then it’s cause teams don’t have any film on him. The absurdity people will stoop to in order to defend Wentz is mind blowing. Is this a bad time to mention that without Wentz, Pederson has won 4 playoff games and a Super Bowl, and he didn’t with a quarterback who has the worst QBR in football right now? On the radio I heard Pederson including the playoffs is 10-3 without Carson as his quarterback. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

There is a difference. Carson was doing it all season and against the likes of a historically bad Cowboys defense, a Seattle secondary most college quarterbacks could beat, and a decimated 49ers defense. Meanwhile the kid in his first start is going up against one of the best defenses in football that has a guy on their defense that knows the Eagles better than they know themselves. If you guys see this as the "same” then you’re crazy. 

Wait a min, your the same guy who said Hurts was a horrible pick when he was selected and a waste of a 2nd round pick. You even said Goedert was a bad 2nd round pick in that same conversation back in the summer. I guess now you changed your mind on that stance, lol. 

9 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Wait a min, your the same guy who said Hurts was a horrible pick when he was selected and a waste of a 2nd round pick. You even said Goedert was a bad 2nd round pick in that same conversation back in the summer. I guess now you changed your mind on that stance, lol. 

No actually I still hate both picks. That doesn’t mean I hope the players fail or think they will, but look at this roster! They waste so many picks on developmental players and backups like they’re stacked. It’s just so dumb, but Howie swears he’s the smartest guy in the room. I mean did we really need a backup quarterback when the linebackers are nothing but a bunch of undrafted guys and Nate Gerry? Did we really need to replace Trey Burton (a guy we got off the scrap heap) with a second round pick? No I still here the picks. 😂

Well he must be smart cause hes running the Eagles and you and I are talking about it on a message board, lol. 

• Like 2

On 12/9/2020 at 12:11 PM, NOTW said:

First, the higher the pick supposedly the better talent (if you evaluate properly and make a good pick.

Second, it's the higher pick in ALL ROUNDS.  I don't know why people talk only about the 1st round and ignore the fact that picking in the top 5 of every round means you get guys that fall out of the previous round, or it's easier to trade up or back depending and still get good talent.  So you're getting the benefit of 7 picks in the top 5 of their round.

We've seen how they do with mid to late round picks.  The times they've had higher picks, they've taken better players.

OK, another good point I hadn't thought of, thanks. Being as the Eagles need so many new, young players, I'm trading for as many picks as I can with the high draft order picks.

On 12/8/2020 at 11:05 AM, Br3 said:

Score over 30 but lose by 1 pt in each of the next 4 games so we know we got our guy for next season and we still have a top 3 pick 

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Hoping for! Compile close to 300 yards, couple of TD with no interceptions, but loose the game by 1. Expecting mistakes..possibly 1-2 interceptions, and a heavy dose of the Eagles running.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

He never practiced previously with the starters...until this week. Expect more positive results than you.

8 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

It’s clear the narrative is if Hurts struggles it’s cause he stinks as a quarterback quarterback and Pederson stinks as a coach. If Hurts looks great then it’s cause teams don’t have any film on him. The absurdity people will stoop to in order to defend Wentz is mind blowing. Is this a bad time to mention that without Wentz, Pederson has won 4 playoff games and a Super Bowl, and he didn’t with a quarterback who has the worst QBR in football right now? On the radio I heard Pederson including the playoffs is 10-3 without Carson as his quarterback. 

Exactly bud. Hurts probably will struggle this weekend. He'll make mistakes because he's a rookie and he's going against one of the best defenses in the league. Nobody should expect him to take us to victory. But I think he'll bring a spark to this offense that hasn't been there. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Exactly bud. Hurts probably will struggle this weekend. He'll make mistakes because he's a rookie and he's going against one of the best defenses in the league. Nobody should expect him to take us to victory. But I think he'll bring a spark to this offense that hasn't been there. 

Yep, throwing a rookie in at starter on a team that is completely dysfunctional and failing in every aspect of the offense from coaching to execution, against the top defense and the top NFC seed...it doesn't get much tougher than that.  But you will have guys who will jump all over any mistake he makes saying see, Hurts sucks too it's not Wentz!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

Yep, throwing a rookie in at starter on a team that is completely dysfunctional and failing in every aspect of the offense from coaching to execution, against the top defense and the top NFC seed...it doesn't get much tougher than that.  But you will have guys who will jump all over any mistake he makes saying see, Hurts sucks too it's not Wentz!

Unfortunately so. And then we will probably be back to Wentz the following week. Sigh.

4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Unfortunately so. And then we will probably be back to Wentz the following week. Sigh.

Doubtful. Barring injury, I think Wentz has taken his last snap this season. 

On 12/10/2020 at 4:40 PM, Ace Nova said:

Not me.  I said they likely would not go WR with the 1st because they want to see how Reagor, Fulgham, Hightower and Watkins develop.  If 2 or 3 out of the 4 work out, it would be disastrous using that type of draft capital on another WR.  Especially when the pick could likely be traded for 2 1sts or another 1st and early 2nd and a additional mid round pick. 

I would say I don’t have much hope for Watkins or Hightower to develop into much more than depth/special team pieces.

I think a lot depends on how much they believe in Fulgham going forwards - can he get back to being that guy in his first 4/5 games?

If not I’m looking to bring in a good veteran receiver (maybe a Marvin Jones mid range type).

Then use the draft to add talent on the D and solidify the O-Line. 

13 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I would say I don’t have much hope for Watkins or Hightower to develop into much more than depth/special team pieces.

I think a lot depends on how much they believe in Fulgham going forwards - can he get back to being that guy in his first 4/5 games?

If not I’m looking to bring in a good veteran receiver (maybe a Marvin Jones mid range type).

Then use the draft to add talent on the D and solidify the O-Line. 

A full off-season, camp and pre-season can do wonders for 2nd year WR's, don't count Hightower and Watkins out yet.

But I wouldn't necessarily be against bringing in a veteran WR on a team friendly deal.  

21 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

A full off-season, camp and pre-season can do wonders for 2nd year WR's, don't count Hightower and Watkins out yet.

But I wouldn't necessarily be against bringing in a veteran WR on a team friendly deal.  

The Office No GIFs | Tenor

5 hours ago, NOTW said:

Malcom Jenkins will be out there calling the Eagles offense out to his defense. Meanwhile Wentz gives nine points to Cleveland while their best player is out, but it’s the same. Yeah okay apologists. 🙄

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Malcom Jenkins will be out there calling the Eagles offense out to his defense.

Other teams have done the same, why was it not an issue for you previously ??