Caleb Farley (Virginia Tech CB) -- DRAFTED BY TENNESSEE #22

Alphagrand

I’ve been seeing him as a first round prospect on most boards, but it’s possible because he’s a VA Tech player he could slip to early 2nd while the big school CBs (Surtain, Wade, etc.) go earlier.

He’s got good size, wingspan, much faster than a Rasul Douglas, can play both sides, and has some ball skills.  My guess is that he still gets drafted before late first round, but he’d be a very good selection as a 2nd round CB:

Unless there are still injury concerns or he tests awful at the combine, there’s no way he’ll slip into the 2nd. Might even be the best corner in the draft when all is said and done...

From what I’ve seen likely to be a top 10 pick.

Him or Surtain both interest me. We desperately need a young outside corner.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Huge bump!

Potentially the best corner in the class and a borderline top 10 selection.

• Like 1

Something about Farley has me interested in drafting him high. He looks like a player that succeeds because of his instincts and athleticism instead of just being in a good scheme or on a good team. Thats huge. If we could get him with a small trade back, assuming he doesnt blow up the combine, I would be very into that.

On 12/11/2020 at 11:54 AM, ManchesterEagle said:

This D could potentially get pretty darn good in a hurry.  Lone bright spot this season was DLine leading league in sacks as a unit.  if you put another stud across from Slay you can shut down even the best Qb's.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 12:22 AM, Alphagrand said:

My guess is that he still gets drafted before late first round, but he’d be a very good selection as a 2nd round CB:

Wait, CB is our biggest weakness on defense, Farley is the best shutdown corner in the draft, he's likely to be available at #6, and you're targeting him in the 2nd?

It should be illegal for you to post Howie.

• Haha 1

On 12/30/2020 at 4:54 PM, ibleedgreen1990 said:

Something about Farley has me interested in drafting him high. He looks like a player that succeeds because of his instincts and athleticism instead of just being in a good scheme or on a good team. Thats huge. If we could get him with a small trade back, assuming he doesnt blow up the combine, I would be very into that.

No trading back, take him at #6, otherwise, good post, dude is a player.

21 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

No trading back, take him at #6, otherwise, good post, dude is a player.

I agree with this. A trade back could allow the cowgirls to pull a Dallas goedert type move and swipe him from under us. I already hate Dallas enough lol..

On 1/6/2021 at 2:59 AM, ibleedgreen1990 said:

I agree with this. A trade back could allow the cowgirls to pull a Dallas goedert type move and swipe him from under us. I already hate Dallas enough lol..

I’m not that worried about the Cowboys taking a WR in the first but f you’re talking about the Giants and Lions you have a good case.

5 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

I’m not that worried about the Cowboys taking a WR in the first but f you’re talking about the Giants and Lions you have a good case.

No you shouldn't be worried about the Cowboys taking a WR... But Farley is a CB bud.

😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

No you shouldn't be worried about the Cowboys taking a WR... But Farley is a CB bud.

😁

Ha, ha... My bad!

Doubt he makes it into the second round and would be considered a reach at 6.  But IMO he is the best CB in the draft of not for injury history.  Non contact ACL in ‘17 and back spasms in ‘19.  Probably too much risk at 6 medically. 

I know CB is one of our biggest needs, but to be honest, I'm not sold on either Farley or Surtain.  Perhaps it is just the novice talent evaluator in me thinking this, but I really don't see a significant level of separation between them and others like Samuel Jr., Horn, etc.  I'm really leaning toward using pick 6 on a top WR like Chase and then going CB with pick 37.  Ideally we could trade pick 6 to a team desperate for a QB to pick up an additional 2nd or 3rd moving down a couple spots and still land Chase.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

I know CB is one of our biggest needs, but to be honest, I'm not sold on either Farley or Surtain.  Perhaps it is just the novice talent evaluator in me thinking this, but I really don't see a significant level of separation between them and others like Samuel Jr., Horn, etc.  I'm really leaning toward using pick 6 on a top WR like Chase and then going CB with pick 37.  Ideally we could trade pick 6 to a team desperate for a QB to pick up an additional 2nd or 3rd moving down a couple spots and still land Chase.  

If we trade back we better get more then a 2nd or 3rd. 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2021 at 12:14 PM, Milkman420 said:

If we trade back we better get more then a 2nd or 3rd. 

I’m talking about trading back only 2-3 spots so we can still be in a position to get Chase. Carolina at 8 or Denver at 9 could be looking at QB.  

16 hours ago, time2rock said:

I’d like to see the Eagles go WR first round, CB second round, and S in the third round.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alphagrand said:

I’d like to see the Eagles go WR first round, CB second round, and S in the third round.

I certainly think if the board falls nicely then that could be a really good way to go!

17 hours ago, time2rock said:

I’m talking about trading back like 2-3 spots so we can still be in a position to get Chase. Carolina at 8 or Denver at 9 could be looking at QB.  

Yeah but seems very unlikely Lions pass on Chase. As of right now it looks like Chase’s range will likely be 5-7, and I’m also not ruling out Dolphins taking him at 3. Falcons at 4, if Julio does somehow get traded, is super unlikely but could happen. 

You also still have the potential Watson trade, with Dolphins looking like best possible suitor for that trade. I’m swimming in major conspiracy waters right now, but if Houston gets that original 3rd overall pick back along with Tua I don’t think it’s that insane of a thought for them to grab Chase there. There’s a ton of dominos to come into effect for that one, but it’s still something that could happen. 

Yeah like others have said, I’m not too into a CB this high. I’m very convinced that a HUGE part of the corner issues was Schwartz scheme. I’d rather wait and take a guy like Samuel Jr, and focus on either WR or QB in round 1. 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 10:54 AM, ManchesterEagle said:

Surtain would be a bad pick, he doesn't have the footspeed to cover deep, if he's there, pick #6 without a doubt should be Farley, he's a legitimate shutdown corner. 

• Like 1

If forced to take a CB as BPA, then Farley over Surtain is my choice. I'd much prefer the WR(Chase) at #6, CB at #37, and IOL in the 3rd.

• Like 3

On 1/15/2021 at 5:19 PM, PoconoDon said:

If forced to take a CB as BPA, then Farley over Surtain is my choice. I'd much prefer the WR(Chase) at #6, CB at #37, and IOL in the 3rd.

Yep, this. 

R1 Chase

R2 Samuel Jr

R3 Landon Dickerson

• Like 1