Caleb Farley (Virginia Tech CB) -- DRAFTED BY TENNESSEE #22

Alphagrand

On 3/26/2021 at 3:11 PM, PoconoDon said:

He has a bad back, right?

When did get a weak back?

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

When did get a weak back?

I read a headline that he was struggling with a bad back on his pro day. I didn't read beyond that headline though.

Wait...looks like he had a microdiscectomy and his stock is slipping. If he has a bad disc at his age, he probably won't last long. 

link to one of the articles: https://www.profootballnetwork.com/caleb-farley-draft-stock-slipping-following-microdiscectomy/

35 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

I read a headline that he was struggling with a bad back on his pro day. I didn't read beyond that headline though.

Wait...looks like he had a microdiscectomy and his stock is slipping. If he has a bad disc at his age, he probably won't last long. 

link to one of the articles: https://www.profootballnetwork.com/caleb-farley-draft-stock-slipping-following-microdiscectomy/

The proper answer is ... "about a week back”.

:excited:

I’ll see myself out!

:P

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

He has other injury issues and sat out a whole.yesr because of covid. Do not want

• Like 1

Farley is going to free fall during the draft. No tape last year. No workout as of right now (rumor is he will have personal one prior to draft). The two other corners have good tape this year and put up solid workouts.

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

He has other injury issues and sat out a whole.yesr because of covid. Do not want

Ditto!  If we go CB at 12 Horn or Surtain.  Otherwise draft another position.  

• Like 3

On 3/28/2021 at 5:16 PM, time2rock said:

Ditto!  If we go CB at 12 Horn or Surtain.  Otherwise draft another position.  

From a talent standpoint I like Farley much more than Horn or Surtain. But I do have concerns with him missing a whole year and some injuries.  I’m not a huge Waddle guy, but I’m leaning toward him at 12. And hope for Samuel Jr to be available on the 2nd to fill CB. 

Bottom line, this is why it was stupid as hell to trade out of the 6th pick. Had a great shot at two elite prospects in Pitts and Chase. Give me quality over quantity.

3 hours ago, nipples said:

From a talent standpoint I like Farley much more than Horn or Surtain. But I do have concerns with him missing a whole year and some injuries.  I’m not a huge Waddle guy, but I’m leaning toward him at 12. And hope for Samuel Jr to be available on the 2nd to fill CB. 

Bottom line, this is why it was stupid as hell to trade out of the 6th pick. Had a great shot at two elite prospects in Pitts and Chase. Give me quality over quantity.

I may be wrong but I dont see the Eagles drafting Samuel. Not saying he wont be a great player but I don't think he would fit Gannon's ideal CB. Gannon during his time in Minn and Indy has worked with CB that are comfortable in press-man. Samuel is at his best in off-coverage zone where he can read and react to the QB. Also seems like he wants some length at the CB position so I personally dont see Samuel getting drafted by the Eagles even though I think he will be a good player.

• Like 3

On 3/28/2021 at 4:49 PM, philafan4o8 said:

Farley is going to free fall during the draft. No tape last year. No workout as of right now (rumor is he will have personal one prior to draft). The two other corners have good tape this year and put up solid workouts.

I was doing a mock and he was available in the second... Sidney Jones really makes me gun shy with often injured types.

2 hours ago, Waiting4Someday said:

I was doing a mock and he was available in the second... Sidney Jones really makes me gun shy with often injured types.

Even if he is there in the 2nd I'm passing.  Howie has many lessons to learn ... hopefully one relates to using high picks on injured players thinking they are getting a bargain.  Considering the current state of the roster, we can't afford to be using high picks on backups or rolling the dice on players that we are hoping may bounce back from injury.  We need as many high picks as possible to be starters from day 1.  

If this man falls Howie should catch him (not at 12 though). If you are afraid to make a mistake based on Sidney Jones then Howie should not have a job. If eagles bring him in and medical cleats him trust medical and make the damn selection.

everyone keeps pointing towards Sidney jones but forgets DK Metcalf.

Farley will fall but it will not be out of the first round IMO 

On 4/4/2021 at 9:35 AM, philafan4o8 said:

If this man falls Howie should catch him (not at 12 though). If you are afraid to make a mistake based on Sidney Jones then Howie should not have a job. If eagles bring him in and medical cleats him trust medical and make the damn selection.

everyone keeps pointing towards Sidney jones but forgets DK Metcalf.

Farley will fall but it will not be out of the first round IMO 

Back injury feels like less of an issue for a corner than knee injuries (which he has had). I have had a herniated disc since I was 14 and have led a pretty active lifestyle (sans the last totally virtual year), If you strengthen the core, you can compensate for and protect your spine. I agree, I think this drops him a little bit, but then again he was likely never going to get taken over Horn or Surtain anyways.

On 4/4/2021 at 5:53 AM, time2rock said:

Even if he is there in the 2nd I'm passing.  Howie has many lessons to learn ... hopefully one relates to using high picks on injured players thinking they are getting a bargain.  Considering the current state of the roster, we can't afford to be using high picks on backups or rolling the dice on players that we are hoping may bounce back from injury.  We need as many high picks as possible to be starters from day 1.  

You're "rolling the dice" on every draft pick ... every player. I absolutely would take him if available in the 2nd --- even if we come away with Surtain or Horn in the 1st. The difference between Farley's injury and Jones' is that Farley should be available  for OTAs / TC / preseason and the regular season. We knew Jones wasn't likely to play at all as a rookie and if he did return (which he did) before the season ended, he wouldn't be prepared to really contribute. We took a chance on Sweat and so far, no regrets.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, brkmsn said:

You're "rolling the dice" on every draft pick ... every player. I absolutely would take him if available in the 2nd --- even if we come away with Surtain or Horn in the 1st. The difference between Farley's injury and Jones' is that Farley should be available  for OTAs / TC / preseason and the regular season. We knew Jones wasn't likely to play at all as a rookie and if he did return (which he did) before the season ended, he wouldn't be prepared to really contribute. We took a chance on Sweat and so far, no regrets.

Second round is good value for him. He's no S. Jones who had bust written all over him. I'd roll the dice on him in the second.

On 4/6/2021 at 8:20 AM, QBhunter58 said:

Back injury feels like less of an issue for a corner than knee injuries (which he has had). I have had a herniated disc since I was 14 and have led a pretty active lifestyle (sans the last totally virtual year), If you strengthen the core, you can compensate for and protect your spine. I agree, I think this drops him a little bit, but then again he was likely never going to get taken over Horn or Surtain anyways.

This is all well and good for normal people, but not so much for a professional athlete.  Back injuries are a different beast and impossible to evaluate.  My understanding is his issues currently are pretty low key though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wentz_Era said:

This is all well and good for normal people, but not so much for a professional athlete.  Back injuries are a different beast and impossible to evaluate.  My understanding is his issues currently are pretty low key though.

Correct and he was re evaluated and looked good

27 minutes ago, Infam said:

If he is our pick at twelve I'll puke.

I don’t think this will happen <yikes>. 

Say we don’t get a CB in the 1st, and the FO doesn’t get a cheap vet to hold down the position.  Do you go UK CB or Stokes over Farley (this assumes no obvious BPA slippage)? Waiting until the 3rd for a plug starter seems like real wishful thinking...

6 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

I don’t think this will happen <yikes>. 

Say we don’t get a CB in the 1st, and the FO doesn’t get a cheap vet to hold down the position.  Do you go UK CB or Stokes over Farley (this assumes no obvious BPA slippage)?

Farley is not a bum like S. Jones, whom I said about fully healthy he didn't deserve to be a first round pick before that draft. So if we take him in the second, I'll be scared but that could turn out really well. Big time gamble, but his potential justifies a second.

Just wanted to say Farley in the first would be a horrible reach.

I wouldn't risk a high draft pick on any player who "opted out". They'd likely be the first to sit out games on any excuse.

1 hour ago, eaglegenius said:

I wouldn't risk a high draft pick on any player who "opted out". They'd likely be the first to sit out games on any excuse.

I'd be hesitant as well, but not for that reason. I don't like the fact that don't have any tape to evaluate what they've done recently. Also, you don't know if he had the discipline to stay in shape throughout the year and keep learning football. 

• Like 1

Sounds like the medical is solid on Farley. If he falls to 25 or later, I trade up and draft him. He is the only tier 1 corner the eagles could probably get if they wanted to double dip in the 1st. His ball skills are better than Horn and Surtain. Horn is more athletic and Surtain is the technician. 

1 hour ago, philafan4o8 said:

Sounds like the medical is solid on Farley. If he falls to 25 or later, I trade up and draft him. He is the only tier 1 corner the eagles could probably get if they wanted to double dip in the 1st. His ball skills are better than Horn and Surtain. Horn is more athletic and Surtain is the technician. 

ACL and back issues all in the last 2 years. I wouldnt touch this kid. Nothing to do with his skills, just not worth the risk. We dont have the luxury with taking a chance on him with how bad and injury prone this team has been. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeathByEagle said:

ACL and back issues all in the last 2 years. I wouldnt touch this kid. Nothing to do with his skills, just not worth the risk. We dont have the luxury with taking a chance on him with how bad and injury prone this team has been. 

If medical passes him you trust medical and move forward. There are players that are injury prone in college that are not in NFL and vise versa. Playing the scared game is going to get everyone fired. Which might be the silver lining to if the Eagles do take him off the board and he balls out.

You are taking a chance on any draft pick lol. I wouldnt draft Farley at 12 but if he falls to the late first like 25 or later, the risk and value would be worth it at that point IMO. 

7 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

If medical passes him you trust medical and move forward. There are players that are injury prone in college that are not in NFL and vise versa. Playing the scared game is going to get everyone fired. Which might be the silver lining to if the Eagles do take him off the board and he balls out.

You are taking a chance on any draft pick lol. I wouldnt draft Farley at 12 but if he falls to the late first like 25 or later, the risk and value would be worth it at that point IMO. 

No thanks, Im still passing on him.