Starting To Feel Like Doug’s Gonna Be A Fall Guy

Runtherock

I really didn't/don't expect to see Doug or Howie fired. I only wondered if Doug really wants to stay here. In the weeks leading up to today, he looked miserable. His eyes were all glossy and bloodshot, his demeaner was out of character. He seemed to want out. Maybe his players bring him back from the edge in this final month. 

• Like 2

On 12/13/2020 at 1:22 PM, Mr_Philly said:

Don’t kid yourself, Lurie is not a dumb man and he is seeing what we all are seeing. Lurie has made changes in the FO before by demoting Howie under Chip Kelly and I wouldn’t be surprised if he forced Howie to bring in Douglas. 
Lurie is a nice guy but he won’t tolerate his organization being the laughing stock of the NFL.

I don't see it. I see a Mr. Roseman that went from "The Wizard" to someone that did some mistakes. Not even close to be fired in my book too.

And we clearly are not the laughing stock either. Besides a million injuries this team always battled. Nowhere close to the Jets (laughing stock) or even Dallas, who pretty much were talking about the superbowl before reality hit them.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2020 at 3:51 AM, Alphagrand said:

Doug has done a poor job this season, right from Week 1 where Rivera and Del Rio ate his lunch.  With a Pederson/Reich/DeFilippo triad the Eagles had a very good combination.

I'm not going to argue that Doug has done a great job but I do think we need to recognise that Doug has been majorly hampered by the QB. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm not going to argue that Doug has done a great job but I do think we need to recognise that Doug has been majorly hampered by the QB. 

Doug has had the same lack of talent issues as his quarterback that for going on three years everyone keeps telling me would be great if he had all pros around him. News Flash to those dopes! Trent Dilfer would be great if he were surrounded by all pro players.  So much for the "Franchise Quarterback" lifting the talent around him. I don't see this quarterback and coach finding a way to work together. I don't see how you "fix" someone who refuses to believe he needs to be fixed. You can't force a drug addict to stop using drugs can you? All I know is despite all the "Without Reich, Doug stinks" talk he's won a lot of games without the great one. I mean some important football games too. Maybe just maybe the "greatest quarterback in Eagles history" according to some isn't really as good as they think he is.

• Like 2

While I think both Howie and Doug should be gone, Howie is #1 on my list to be fired. 

bad drafts, terrible contracts and an old team should be pretty clear. 

• Like 1

On 12/13/2020 at 10:46 AM, PhillyPhreak24 said:

Lurie has reportedly been more hands on. If so, get rid of Howie. No exceptions. His horrible draft decisions and bad contracts have contributed to this mess.

I'm willing to give Doug another season, but he needs to relinquish the play calling and bring in a real OC.

If Lurie were to do this the right way, he'd fire Howie, bring in a new GM (someone that has a real eye for talent - that is more important than handling the contracts, can always hire someone to oversee that part), and then let that new GM determine the fate of Doug - either fire him and get his own guy or give him another chance.  But completely agree, giving him another chance should come with one condition, that he hires an experienced OC to take over play calling duties, help with play design, participate in game planning, etc.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

While I think both Howie and Doug should be gone, Howie is #1 on my list to be fired. 

bad drafts, terrible contracts and an old team should be pretty clear. 

Yup. Been saying for months. Until Howie is gone, nothing else matters. 

Just now, time2rock said:

If Lurie were to do this the right way, he'd fire Howie, bring in a new GM (someone that has a real eye for talent - that is more important than handling the contracts, can always hire someone to oversee that part), and then let that new GM determine the fate of Doug - either fire him and get his own guy or give him another chance.  But completely agree, giving him another chance should come with one condition, that he hires an experienced OC to take over play calling duties, help with play design, participate in game planning, etc.  

Yup. Having 50 coaches handle every little aspect has been an absolute failure, I don’t care who’s idea it was. The entire structure here is broken. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Infam said:

I don't see it. I see a Mr. Roseman that went from "The Wizard" to someone that did some mistakes. Not even close to be fired in my book too.

And we clearly are not the laughing stock either. Besides a million injuries this team always battled. Nowhere close to the Jets (laughing stock) or even Dallas, who pretty much were talking about the superbowl before reality hit them.

But they claim the superbowl every single year, dallas.....its what they and their dumb fans do consistently...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GeorgeM37 said:

But they claim the superbowl every single year, dallas.....its what they and their dumb fans do consistently...

Unfortunately I think Lurie is going to give Howie a longer leash than he deserves due to the championship he finally helped bring to Philly after all those years.  And of course, I'm sure all the injuries will factor in as well (you know it'll be too easy to use that excuse and run with it) as will the horrendous play of Wentz.  On the latter, perhaps Doug will also be given a directive from above that he needs to hire a more accomplished QB coach to help get their biggest asset back on track.  There is zero doubt Wentz has been on a downward trajectory ever since the 2 guys that were most responsible for his early development - Reich and Flip - left the organization.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Doug has had the same lack of talent issues as his quarterback that for going on three years everyone keeps telling me would be great if he had all pros around him. News Flash to those dopes! Trent Dilfer would be great if he were surrounded by all pro players.  So much for the "Franchise Quarterback" lifting the talent around him. I don't see this quarterback and coach finding a way to work together. I don't see how you "fix" someone who refuses to believe he needs to be fixed. You can't force a drug addict to stop using drugs can you? All I know is despite all the "Without Reich, Doug stinks" talk he's won a lot of games without the great one. I mean some important football games too. Maybe just maybe the "greatest quarterback in Eagles history" according to some isn't really as good as they think he is.

I'm not sure id say he's won a lot of games without Reich. I think he's won more than he's lost but it's pretty close? But some of those wins have been with a back up QB and most of those losses have been with Wentz. That's an issue. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GeorgeM37 said:

Not sure what you mean...

image.jpeg.a9fa628d62dc8a2091eb39e4419c620d.jpeg

image.jpeg.74278d69bbe2f599a45b3c39c201db41.jpeg

:whistle: 

• Haha 3

Ive been a Wentz guy from the start but its hard to ignore the life this offense shows whenever he's not the QB. Holding onto 2017

Finding a very good head coach isnt easy and I think it would be a mistake to fire Doug without giving him a chance to show what he could do for an extended period of time with a QB other than Wentz. 

The record with back-up QB's shows that he may be the least of our problems. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Cause and effect, chicken and egg.  

I believe Wentz still has all of the physical tools that made him the #2 overall pick and an MVP candidate in 2017.  I believe he could go to another team and be a top 10 NFL QB in a different offense very quickly

I believe Doug would not get offered any other head coaching job if he left here, and I would bet my house, my car, and both my kidneys that Doug would never get hired as an OC for any other NFL team 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm not sure id say he's won a lot of games without Reich. I think he's won more than he's lost but it's pretty close? But some of those wins have been with a back up QB and most of those losses have been with Wentz. That's an issue. 

I’m referring to the quarterback situation, but I don’t think Reich is doing much with a broken Carson either. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

I believe Wentz still has all of the physical tools that made him the #2 overall pick and an MVP candidate in 2017.  I believe he could go to another team and be a top 10 NFL QB in a different offense very quickly

But then why is Carsons record below .500 for his career? And one year that is clearly looking like a fluke. We can't ignore this. This team has won the SB and won a play off game without Wentz (and came very close to winning another in 2018 without him). With Wentz its been average at best.

4 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I’m referring to the quarterback situation, but I don’t think Reich is doing much with a broken Carson either. 

But hey if he wants to find out then he's more than welcome to. 1st round pick, i would do that. 

• Like 1

i'm starting to really believe that Wentz is a coach killer.

Yes, he had a great year with Reich and Flip in 17, but who knows if they really liked working with him? Maybe he did the same things he's doing now with Doug but because we had a stronger team, it masked his immaturity.

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But then why is Carsons record below .500 for his career? And one year that is clearly looking like a fluke. We can't ignore this. This team has won the SB and won a play off game without Wentz (and came very close to winning another in 2018 without him). With Wentz its been average at best.

But hey if he wants to find out then he's more than welcome to. 1st round pick, i would do that. 

Same here bud. Let him show us how smart he is. 

• Like 2

On 12/13/2020 at 5:10 PM, T-1000 said:

It's amazing how much better Pederson looks as a coach without Wentz as his QB. It's almost like Wentz is by far and away the main problem.

8 hours ago, Usain23 said:

I've been a Wentz guy from the start but its hard to ignore the life this offense shows whenever he's not the QB. Holding onto 2017

Finding a very good head coach isn't easy and I think it would be a mistake to fire Doug without giving him a chance to show what he could do for an extended period of time with a QB other than Wentz. 

The record with back-up QB's shows that he may be the least of our problems. 

Which is why Doug should have another year with an OC and no Wentz. Doug is 13-2 without Wentz (one of those was a meaningless game in week 17 of 2017.

9 hours ago, time2rock said:

This is what needs to happen. Doug shouldn't get fired because Wentz holds on to ball too long resulting in sacks and has turnovers (INTs/fumbles). Game against Saints with Hurts is best Eagles looked this year. 

2 hours ago, Madriver said:

I'm starting to really believe that Wentz is a coach killer.

Yes, he had a great year with Reich and Flip in 17, but who knows if they really liked working with him? Maybe he did the same things he's doing now with Doug but because we had a stronger team, it masked his immaturity.

This is what I'm afraid of. I would hate to see coach after coach get fired because Wentz can't be fixed and being like Browns. It would be like this: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jblah said:

Doug is nothing more than an offensive coordinator. Frank Riche was the real coach for the superbowl, Doug just called the plays.

I would argue the exact opposite.  Doug is the least creative offensive play caller I've ever seen.  He'd be better in a situation where he handed those responsibilities to a brilliant offensive mind.........someone like Frank Reich.  He's proven he can lead a team and get his players to compete and play their asses off for him.  He just needs to let go of the play calling.  

If they get rid of Pedersen, they may as well get rid of Wentz......with his issues, learning another offensive system certainly won't help. Not to mention, the new HC may want to draft his own guy...

Eagles starting to feel like the old browns........revolving door of coaches and QBs.........

If they really do fire Pedersen, then they have to go all in for Eric Bienemy....I'm sure he'll have a lot to say about keeping Wentz or Hurts.