Starting To Feel Like Doug’s Gonna Be A Fall Guy

Runtherock

1 hour ago, BayAreaLennie said:

BTW, here are all the picks the Eagles have had in the first 100 picks of the past 3 drafts:

2018:  49th pick - Dallas Goedert

2019:  22nd pick - Andre Dillard

2019:  53rd pick - Miles Sanders

2019:  57th pick - JJ Arcega-Whiteside

2020:  21st pick - Jalen Reagor

2020:  53rd pick - Jalen Hurts

That's it.  Mostly because of trades that loaded up the 2017 Super Bowl team, they have been bereft of top picks.  Not one was a premium pick, with 21st the highest.  There are by my eyes two moderate successes (Goedert and Sanders), one incomplete but looking promising (Hurts), one too early to tell (Reagor), one too early to tell but leaning against (Dillard) and one unmitigated failure (Arcega-Whiteside).  That seems ... extraordinarily normal ... by NFL standards, considering the slots of all those picks.

Everything after the top 100 is a crapshoot -- the Eagles did pick up a few potential contributors (e.g., Maddox, Pryor, Mailata, Herbig) and the jury is still out on a lot of players.

Not one player from the SEC in there. Thank god we loaded up on guys from those powerhouse conferences the Pac 12 and Big 12.

Howie should be the first to go but Doug can go too. I'm done defending him. I don't think he's a bad coach but his play calling is questionable at best considering he refuses to run the ball.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

Howie should be the first to go but Doug can go too. I'm done defending him. I don't think he's a bad coach but his play calling is questionable at best considering he refuses to run the ball.

I'm getting there to be honest. I'm not quite there yet but if Doug were to be fired then I wouldn't be disappointed and I'd understand that decision. Howie though... He's got to go and if Doug goes and Howie doesn't then I'm going to be majorly p1ss€d.

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm getting there to be honest. I'm not quite there yet but if Doug were to be fired then I wouldn't be disappointed and I'd understand that decision. Howie though... He's got to go and if Doug goes and Howie doesn't then I'm going to be majorly p1ss€d.

You should go ahead and warn your family about the upcoming rage.  None of them are going anywhere.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

You should go ahead and warn your family about the upcoming rage.  None of them are going anywhere.

Which is absolutely ridiculous. This team stinks. This roster stinks. How Howie can keep his job after this is beyond me. 

16 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Which is absolutely ridiculous. This team stinks. This roster stinks. How Howie can keep his job after this is beyond me. 

You are assuming that the FO didn't see some of these struggles coming in their long term plan after the SB.  It easier to be a fan by ignoring this and just raging.  

11 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

You are assuming that the FO didn't see some of these struggles coming in their long term plan after the SB.  It easier to be a fan by ignoring this and just raging.  

If the FO saw this coming then why didn't they make the necessary changes before hand? If they saw this coming then why did they keep older players on the roster? Players with injury issues? 

14 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

If the FO saw this coming then why didn't they make the necessary changes before hand? If they saw this coming then why did they keep older players on the roster? Players with injury issues? 

It looks to me like they tried to repeat and failed and that created a great deal of problems.  That one decision had consequences.  There has been a great deal of turnover on this roster since then and more will come next year as they try to retool.  The things they couldn't foresee - the future LT being out, Wentz's struggles, missing on so many CBs, never hitting on a WR, Covid, and an unusually high amount of injuries across young and old players for a couple of years.  That one "repeat" decision makes the margin of error really slim.

Let me give you one they made things worse - picking Jalen Hurts over an impact rookie at any number of needed positions.  They can't waste picks.

For some reason, you seem to think they can swap out the whole roster every year.  These FO guys and coaches aren't all dopes.  A few short years ago, Howie was a hero. Eagles fans are just fickle...and negative.

Make sure you put your mini helmet on to avoid injury in your rage.

30 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Let me give you one they made things worse - picking Jalen Hurts over an impact rookie at any number of needed positions.  They can't waste picks.

I agree although in a roundabout way that one pick may end up working out. 

31 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I agree although in a roundabout way that one pick may end up working out. 

It likely will not.  Instead of helping Wentz (who they invested in heavily) with support and weapons, they chose a gadget QB.  Horrible pick.  Wasted resources.  That is a pick that Howie should be questioned on.

Now, there is desire to justify the pick, but back it up with some stats.  Mid 50's passer, runs around a lot, puts the ball on the ground ALOT.  1 win.  Plays "hero ball".  His main upside is that he is "cheaper", but that is quickly negated by the punishing cap effect of pushing Wentz out.

Bad pick. All day. Every day.

54 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

It likely will not.  Instead of helping Wentz (who they invested in heavily) with support and weapons, they chose a gadget QB.  Horrible pick.  Wasted resources.  That is a pick that Howie should be questioned on.

Now, there is desire to justify the pick, but back it up with some stats.  Mid 50's passer, runs around a lot, puts the ball on the ground ALOT.  1 win.  Plays "hero ball".  His main upside is that he is "cheaper", but that is quickly negated by the punishing cap effect of pushing Wentz out.

But if Wentz is truly broken and can't recover in Philly then it turns out to be a decent pick. Because using that pick on a weapon for him was not going to turn him around this year.

13 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But if Wentz is truly broken and can't recover in Philly then it turns out to be a decent pick. Because using that pick on a weapon for him was not going to turn him around this year.

Wentz being broken doesn’t make Hurts a decent pick. Two separate issues. Hurts has already gone backwards, and he’s had three terrible 2nd halves. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Is Wentz truly broken though? The way I see it is the Wentz dilemma is two things. 

1. Wentz is really screwing up his mechanics, his bad habits and it's starting to show and if it doesn't get fixed soon then yes he could be another short lived QB. Plus his health comes into question as well. But I will saw that Wentz hasn't had the best receivers, however a great TE in Ertz and a pretty good RB in Sanders. 

2. Wentz is just inside his own head horrible, due to the injuries, watching Foles at the SB and the parade and then finally hearing us draft a QB in the second round after he signs a huge deal thinking he is without a doubt "the guy". With the Philly media being the way it is, Wentz just may be mentally spent and wanting a fresh start somewhere else where there is less pressure and franky less drama. Howie drafting Hurts has indeed caused drama this year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Wentz being broken doesn’t make Hurts a decent pick. Two separate issues. Hurts has already gone backwards, and he’s had three terrible 2nd halves. 

It gives the pick some value if Wentz is broken and the Eagles decide to move on.

11 minutes ago, Maga301 said:

Is Wentz truly broken though? The way I see it is the Wentz dilemma is two things. 

1. Wentz is really screwing up his mechanics, his bad habits and it's starting to show and if it doesn't get fixed soon then yes he could be another short lived QB. Plus his health comes into question as well. But I will saw that Wentz hasn't had the best receivers, however a great TE in Ertz and a pretty good RB in Sanders. 

2. Wentz is just inside his own head horrible, due to the injuries, watching Foles at the SB and the parade and then finally hearing us draft a QB in the second round after he signs a huge deal thinking he is without a doubt "the guy". With the Philly media being the way it is, Wentz just may be mentally spent and wanting a fresh start somewhere else where there is less pressure and franky less drama. Howie drafting Hurts has indeed caused drama this year. 

You may be right but I don't see it. Wentz is, in my opinion, done in Philadelphia. Bringing him back next year would be a major mistake. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Wentz is not completely broken and not fixable and the stats, so far, show that Hurts is NOT better with the same cast.  Sorry.  Many people are just clamoring for a new QB and don't want to see the truth.

Wasted pick.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Agree 100%. The minute he made that pick he created a quarterback controversy. Now you could say he made the pick because he had doubts about Wentz's health, abilities, etc, etc. Well if he had doubts then he shouldn't have signed him to a 150 million dollar contract. He still had a year left on his rookie contract. Howie needs to be removed from all personnel decisions. Any way you slice it, terrible decision making.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Perforator said:

Agree 100%. The minute he made that pick he created a quarterback controversy. Now you could say he made the pick because he had doubts about Wentz's health, abilities, etc, etc. Well if he had doubts then he shouldn't have signed him to a 150 million dollar contract. He still had a year left on his rookie contract. Howie needs to be removed from all personnel decisions. Any way you slice it, terrible decision making.

That pick was a "I am Howie and I am smarter than all others" pick and Hurts is now playing to try to justify his decision. I doubt he gets canned for it, but it shouldn't be swept under the rug.

17 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You may be right but I don't see it. Wentz is, in my opinion, done in Philadelphia. Bringing him back next year would be a major mistake. 

I don't know why he would want to be back.  Given the state of the organization and the horrible fans we have, it seems like moving on may be smart for him.  It would be unique to see him elsewhere winning and the organization saddled with his contract and dealing with their decisions. But, hey....it what the "fans" wanted!

My money is still on him trotting out as the starter here Week 1 of next year.

I like Doug the head coach (besides his press conferences). I don't like Doug the offensive coordinator. If Doug came back next year, relinquished control of play calling and hired an offensive coordinator (I'd like to see what Duce can do), I would be on board with that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Perforator said:

I like Doug the head coach (besides his press conferences). I don't like Doug the offensive coordinator. If Doug came back next year, relinquished control of play calling and hired an offensive coordinator (I'd like to see what Duce can do), I would be on board with that.

Yep.   If Doug has to call the plays, he should call them somewhere else.  

On 12/30/2020 at 3:17 AM, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

It's the new normal....:whistle:

9 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

Wentz is not completely broken and not fixable and the stats, so far, show that Hurts is NOT better with the same cast.  Sorry.  Many people are just clamoring for a new QB and don't want to see the truth.

Wasted pick.

Umm... OK if that's your view. I don't agree. Even in a disappointing game for Hurts against the Cowboys he was still better than Wentz has been in all but one game. 

8 hours ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

My money is still on him trotting out as the starter here Week 1 of next year.

And if they do then, in my opinion, that's a mistake and they'll struggle next year too. But let's see. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Umm... OK if that's your view. I don't agree. Even in a disappointing game for Hurts against the Cowboys he was still better than Wentz has been in all but one game. 

And if they do then, in my opinion, that's a mistake and they'll struggle next year too. But let's see. 

And when Wentz and this team are back in tune, you will jump right back on the wagon....until he has a bad game, then you will be back off...then back on again....and so on and so on.     

The same will go for Hurts or any other QB or coach or GM. 

I'd be fine if they got rid of Howie too but for me, Doug is the weakest link.  He is a good team man but he clearly couldn't handle his responsibilities as it turned out.  He always shot from the hip even during the Super Bowl season but as he took more on, particularly the stupifying decision to not have a dedicated offensive coordinator, his in-game decisions and pretty much everything else went dizzy.  He pampered Wentz into a state of uselessness and Carson may well win multiple Super Bowls with Indy.  The team needs a pro coach, not a high school coach.

On 12/30/2020 at 11:31 AM, Maga301 said:

If I were a GM considering a trade for Wentz, I'd require some sort of neurological evaluation to try to determine if he has some sort of post concussion syndrome. Maybe he's just messed up from Foles/Hurts/mostly sub-par receivers/Philadelphia or maybe there's more to it.